Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineHell

WWF Wrestlefest arcade game pcb, King of Fighters 2003 MVS.

termis

Galaxy Deka Gayvan.  Goddamn this game sucks.  I decided to try it out after reading some positive reviews on this beat-em up, but a friend and I couldn't stand it for more than 20 minutes.  Plays something like Battletoads (which I liked), without any up-down movements and a crappy list of moves.  Ugh...

Gates of Thunder.  Call me a hater, but I honestly don't see why this game is held in such high regards.  I personally feel that a lot of other "16-bit shooters" around this era beats the hell out of this game.  Overall, it's a good shooter for sure with good graphics and music, but the weapon system is pretty weak, the bosses aren't that impressive, and not that challenging overall.  I just don't think it's up to par with shooters like LoT, Spriggan, Gaires, TF3-4, etc, etc.

Sapphire.  Probably the best damn looking game on the Duo.  I still don't think it's the best shooter on this system, but definitely top 3 or 4.

Keranu

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 04/07/2007, 01:46 AMGalaxy Deka Gayvan.  Goddamn this game sucks.  I decided to try it out after reading some positive reviews on this beat-em up, but a friend and I couldn't stand it for more than 20 minutes.  Plays something like Battletoads (which I liked), without any up-down movements and a crappy list of moves.  Ugh...
Sucks to hear this, I've been really wanting to play this game for a few years. I generally don't hear much about it, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect but the screenshots look cool. Thanks for clarifying that it had no up and down movement, I was always wondering if it did or not.

Quote from: thumpin_thermisGates of Thunder.  Call me a hater, but I honestly don't see why this game is held in such high regards.  I personally feel that a lot of other "16-bit shooters" around this era beats the hell out of this game.  Overall, it's a good shooter for sure with good graphics and music, but the weapon system is pretty weak, the bosses aren't that impressive, and not that challenging overall.  I just don't think it's up to par with shooters like LoT, Spriggan, Gaires, TF3-4, etc, etc.
GoT took me awhile to fully appreciate it, now I think it's way up there as one of the best shooters ever made. Though it was definitely on the easy side, the action was consistent and didn't leave you bored, especially during parts of the level where the speed increases.

The level progression, in my opinion, is what really crushed other shooters at the time. In a level like 6, you fly over a spectacular city scape, shift down into a corridor with gigantic missles filling up the screen launching at you, blaze through a secret underground passage and eventually make your way into an eerie water drainage room where you face a ED-209 knock off - it's fascinating to the max.

I'd also like to quickly comment on the weapon system. Though it's not much, it's really all you need. A game like Thunder Force gives you a nice variety of weapons, but Gates gives you the three weapons you'll only need and it makes cycling through weapons a lot easier. On top of that, the three weapons themselves look pretty cool.  8)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PCEngineHell

Galaxy Fight on NeoGeo MVS. Beat it with Gunter.
Samurai Showdown 3 MVS.
Mega Race 1 and 2 PC.
Quake 1 PC.

Seldane

I'm currently playing Mysterious Dungeon 2 SFC. Damn that roguelike! I love starting over from the VERY beginning every time you die. :D
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

gundarN

I'm still working through Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

Quality.

NecroPhile

Currently suffering through Exile: WP - nice hit detection, ya bunch of bastards.

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 04/07/2007, 03:02 AMGalaxy Fight on NeoGeo MVS. Beat it with Gunter.
Samurai Showdown 3 MVS.
Mega Race 1 and 2 PC.
Quake 1 PC.
Love the NIN in Quake.  :)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TJ

I haven't been here in months! How's everybody?

Recently played through Zelda: Twilight Princess on the GC and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin on the DS. Never did get around to finishing Okami yet. Currently playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the X360. And waiting for PCE Tengai Makyo and Download to show up in the mail. :)

Keranu

Whoa, long time no see, TJ. How are 'ya?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Seldane

I started on Gunman's Proof (SFC) last night and finished it today. Short game, but kind of fun.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Ninja Spirit

thanks to Keranu, after 3 years of collecting dust out of fear of the language barrier, I'm finally making progress on Fuun Kabuki Den. Currently in Sagano village leveling up. Can't wait to get to London where there's kana to read. I'll also be putting up my boss battles on YouTube. Playing this has also become a somewhat educational experience too, picking up some new Japanese words here and there, actually SEEING the characters while hearing them get spoken.

Kitsunexus

I'm playing Light Crusader for the Genesis, developed by Treasure. I'm slowly finding out why I've never heard of this game before. It's a really slow plodding ARPG where you can't skip the conversations!  #-o

The production is top notch, it's just really boring. I give it a 7.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

TR0N

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 04/09/2007, 07:18 PMI'm playing Light Crusader for the Genesis, developed by Treasure. I'm slowly finding out why I've never heard of this game before. It's a really slow plodding ARPG where you can't skip the conversations!  #-o

Not one of Treasure best i use to play it alot on the sega channel.

Still it's puzzles can drive any body crazy.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

PCEngineHell

No gaming today,building yet another Supergun.

Seldane

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 04/09/2007, 07:18 PMI'm playing Light Crusader for the Genesis, developed by Treasure. I'm slowly finding out why I've never heard of this game before. It's a really slow plodding ARPG where you can't skip the conversations!  #-o

Dude, this game rules. One of the best puzzle games I have played. It's a dungeon crawler and you never have to talk to people again. Easily Treasure's best game.
IMG

Joe Redifer

I played me some Super Fantasy Zone today since the cartridge looks so awesome.  I was looking at the cart the whole time since it is so great.  That may explain my poor performance in the game (only got up to the final level and that's it).

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Seldane on 04/10/2007, 04:13 AMEasily Treasure's best game.
Hells yeah. Not counting Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, or Ikaruga. :P

TR0N

NeoGeo
Kof 2000
Twinklestar Sprites

Famicom/FDS
Guardian Legend
Zanac

DC
Exelica Trigger Heart

Mame
Contra
Super Contra

I Finally got a PC Joybox 3in1 man it's great useing a Saturn Controller on Mame.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Tron on 04/13/2007, 12:00 AMNeoGeo
Kof 2000
Twinklestar Sprites

Famicom/FDS
Guardian Legend
Zanac
FTW to ALL of those....

PCEngineHell

NEOGEO MVS

KOF 2003
KOF 1999
KOF1998
KOF1996
Galaxy Fight
Art of Fighting

normal arcade game pcbs:
Japanese board of Victory Road,which I beat last night,Japanese P.O.W. board which I beat the other day, and USA version of WWF Wrestlefest by Technos which I play and beat often in tag team mode. Wrestlefest is possibly the greatest wrestling game ever,besides Fire Pro 6 Man Scramble and 3 Count Bout. Infact it easily smashes 3 Count Bout. Its made by the Double Dragon 1 and 2 arcade team and has some of the best old wrestlers alive or dead. The Road Warriors,Demolition,SGT. Slaughter,Mr. Perfect,crack addict Jake the Snake Roberts,ect. If you use Mame you should load the rom up. If you actually have  a Supergun,and feel like trowing the cash down on a investment,buy the arcade board. It has been getting rarer and going up in value past couple of years.

Seldane

Been playing some PS1 today. Started over at SOTN again yesterday, and it is still so much fun even though I've played through it twice in the past six months. I love that game.

I also got around to playing Legend of Mana seriously for the first time. I've been saving it because I've been hoping it would be good. I'm always looking forward to playing new Mana games but...

I'm ALWAYS super disappointed! Why, oh why can't I learn that the Mana games are shit? This is horrible. Such an abysmal game. Top notch graphics and sound, as with every Square game, but that's it. The game is freaking unplayable. Running at 5 FPS max, this game is insanely slow, and the battle system's a joke, as with every Mana game. Damn it. I wanted to enjoy this game, but as it sucks - I can't possibly do that, I cannot even remotely enjoy it. Oh the horror.

Totally looking forward to trying that new PS2 Mana game though! It will rule!

(I know it'll suck, but as I said before - I can't help but look forward to the next Mana game like crazy.)
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Seldane on 04/16/2007, 10:43 AMWhy, oh why can't I learn that the Mana games are shit?
I love Secret Of Mana 1. I hate 2, and have never played any of the others.

Seldane

The first game (for Game Boy) is all right. The second (Secret of Mana) is all right too I guess, but it is flawed in many ways. The third game is pretty good, but this is the game that introduced the rightfully entitled doom death horrorific™ battle system.
IMG

runinruder

Yeah, Legend of Mana is HORRIBLE.  I traded it away the second I had the chance, and the guy I traded it to sold it off soon thereafter.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

thewestexit

I started Lunar SSS MPEG version this weekend, looking forward to finally going through this game.

Also started playing EspGaluda PS2 again, now I can usually get to stage 4 without getting hit.
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth
////////////////////////////////////////////////

GUTS

Yeah I can't stand the Mana games either, especially part 2, it's just a mess.  For once I completely agree with Seldane.

Kitsunexus

Well Seldane at least you can sleep at night knowing that Secret Of Mana isn't as shitty as Secret Of Evermore...

TR0N

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 04/13/2007, 11:23 AM
Quote from: Tron on 04/13/2007, 12:00 AMNeoGeo
Kof 2000
Twinklestar Sprites

Famicom/FDS
Guardian Legend
Zanac

DC
Exelica Trigger Heart

Mame
Contra
Super Contra

I finally got a PC Joybox 3in1 man it's great useing a Saturn controller on Mame.
FTW to ALL of those....
Btw what does FTW mean?

Still i can add more to the list.
IMG

guyjin

For The Win. Means "it's a good thing". I think it comes from WoW (World of Warcraft).

Joe Redifer

Today I played every single game that SEISMIC ever released.  It was great.  I have guards protect my Seismic collection 24/7.  The games are:

Air Diver - Yeah!
Hellfire - Yeah!
MUSHA - Yeah!
RC Grand Prix - SMS - Yeah!
Super Hydlide - Yeah!

By playing all 5 Seismic games on my Genesis in a row, it unlocked MORE RAW POWER for my Genesis to consume, and it makes Blast Processing even more impressive (which I thought would be impossible).  Another thing that is interesting is that if for any reason my electricity goes out, I can just put all 5 Seismic games in their cases next to each other (touching), and the raw power generated is enough to power my entire neighborhood for months!

gundarN

I just got PC Denjin (Air Zonk).

How come it's so much better than CD Denjin (Super Air Zonk)?

Turbo D

dang, I know what you mean. That cd denjin really sucks balls, haha. I was seriously let down. I still like it tho.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Seldane

Wow, I need some Seismic games as well. Sorry, SEISMIC games.
IMG

Hobo Xiphas

I'm playing Star Ocean 2 so I can unlock the awesome voice acting to play whenever I want.  The only game that has better voice acting is Shenmue.

"Herrrre's Mister Enemy!!!"

rolins

Nes
Metroid: (-.-)zzZ

Arcade
Dangun Feveron: I can't believe Cave never bother to make a console port of this. Another vertical shooter but with disco themes and dancing men icons. The disco music suits the intensity of the game, and the bombs attack with huge dancing shadows. Weird? Yeah, but it's insanely fun. I gotta find me the OST to this game.

Seldane

Playing a lot of FLATOUT 2 (PC). This might be the best racing game I have played. It is so much fun! It's not all that pretty though, not even on top settings. It certainly looks good enough though.
IMG

Digi.k

PSU of course!

been trying to take a decent shot of the game with the digi camera but most of the time they either just come out blurry or really strong contrast and blue tones.. so I'm happy with this snap XD

/meeeeeeee.jpg

Kitsunexus

Final Fight III (SNES): This game kicks ass! I got the actual cart for FREE at work (I work at an auction house, UNBELIEVABLE perks) and I've been playing it like crazy. Awesome all around, and a damn good addition to my personal SNES collection, which consists of Gradius 3, Secret Of Mana, Illusion Of Gaia, Mega Man X2 and Final Fight 3. Now all I need is Cybernator, R-TYPE II, Space Megaforce, Rock and Roll Racing, Sparkster, Axelay, and Soul Blazer and I can die happy. I have other SNES games, but they belong to the whole family.

Epic Extreme Pinball (DOS) OMFG THIS GAME RULES! Great pinball action, cool tables and AWESOME MOD music! I'm playing it on an old AMD K6-2 300MHZ I have, it's one of my favorite games.

Seldane

IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Seldane on 04/28/2007, 02:43 PMAnd I'm still playing FLATOUT 2 for PC. Gotten really good at it. This game RULES! Best racing game I have ever played!!
I would play it if it weren't for the fact that:

1. It's overly redneck and

2. it has StarForce copy protection (aka SystemFucker).

Quote from: Seldane on 04/28/2007, 02:43 PMI only have Paint at the moment, so please forgive the nasty JPEG artifacts.
http://www.irfanview.com -You can thank me later.

Seldane

Only the European version has the Star Force protection system. The North American release features Securom V7.

PS: Redneck rules.
IMG

TR0N

DC
Exelica Heart Trigger

GC/GB Player
Drill Dozer

Not much... else at the monent still i am looking at what pce games to buy next.
IMG

Seldane

Got Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition (PSP) today. You can choose English text in the main menu, even though it is the Japanese version. Odd. But good.

I've never been interested in FF1 'til now. This could very well be the best-looking 2d game ever (it looks especially nice on the PSP's fancy wide screen lcd), and the music is just fantastic, the gameplay rocks (the battle system is really speedy!). Just hold one button and it'll choose the battle command and scroll through all the boring messages in the battles, etc. No button mashing needed, in other words. Just hold that button and walk around to gain some levels. :wink:

Looking forward to #2.

AWESOME game. Get it now! I'm looking at you, CrackTiger. :wink:
IMG

Digi.k

Quote from: Seldane on 04/30/2007, 05:32 PMGot Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition (PSP) today. You can choose English text in the main menu, even though it is the Japanese version. Odd. But good.

I've never been interested in FF1 'til now. This could very well be the best-looking 2d game ever (it looks especially nice on the PSP's fancy wide screen lcd), and the music is just fantastic, the gameplay rocks (the battle system is really speedy!). Just hold one button and it'll choose the battle command and scroll through all the boring messages in the battles, etc. No button mashing needed, in other words. Just hold that button and walk around to gain some levels. :wink:

Looking forward to #2.

AWESOME game. Get it now! I'm looking at you, CrackTiger. :wink:
I wouldn't mind trying them but I already have played the remakes on the GBA....   I'm just waiting for FF3 for DS this friday when it finally hits uk/europe.....

for some strange reason I'm just dying to replay the Tactics Ogre which came out yeaaars ago on the GBA.. I wished I never sold it >__<

But been playing space invaders plus on the pc engine XD

Kitsunexus

Seldane

I've been playing some FF3 DS today too. It's a fine game, you'll probably like it. Technically impressive for being a DS game, that's for sure.
IMG

Ninja Spirit

I'm pretty bummed out right now.

Made an unsuccessful and aggravating attempt at making a video to put on YouTube trying to finish off Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (Super Famicom) from stage 4 and up. Stages 4 and 6 are the brick walls because it's one of those shooter stages with high speed scrolling and tight spaces and boss battles just drag on and on and on.

CrackTiger

Quote from: gundarN on 04/17/2007, 03:01 AMI just got PC Denjin (Air Zonk).

How come it's so much better than CD Denjin (Super Air Zonk)?
Air Zonk was made by the team that did Coryoon.

Super Air Zonk was probably made by some other group.

I'm guessing that neather was directly done by Red.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

rolins

Saturn:
Batsugun
Bio Hazard - going for the knife run

PC Windows:
Resident Evil - This was released in the US, but the most interesting part about this version was the intro is uncensored and in full color, def alot better than watching it in b&w.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: rolins on 05/02/2007, 05:09 PMSaturn:
Batsugun
Bio Hazard - going for the knife run

PC Windows:
Resident Evil - This was released in the US, but the most interesting part about this version was the intro is uncensored and in full color, def alot better than watching it in b&w.
Yep,pc version is the nicest of them before the Gamecube remake.