The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

PVM Raffle WINNER

Started by Medic_wheat, 07/07/2014, 05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

Before I make it offical is there any interst in a raffle for a PVM monitor?

The only thing I would need the winner to do is pay for shipping other wise I don't care who/where you live.

I can post pictures and stuff.  I was ordered to get rid of one of my PVM monitors by my wife as it is taking up to much space..........and she won't let me put it in storage because she claims that I would just buy more stuff to take up space (so totally right, but I still see a logic fail in her ratinal for getting rid of my extra PMV monitor to start).

UPDATE:

It's on raffle starts now and will end at the end of the month.

Partisapents:

1)  Arkhan
2)  Joe (Gamesack)
3)  Jtucci31
4)  Tron
5)  VenomMacbeth
6)  Bardoly
7)  Turbokon
8)  Bartre
9)  HailingTheThings
10) Whisper2053
11) TheClash603
12) csgx1
13) toktogul
14) JKM
15) Esteban
16) EvilevoIX

I thought about taking it to a goodwill, but I doubt it would get the love it deserves to a gamer.

If the winner can't do the shipping once it is figured out, the winner will be the next person from the randomized list and so forth.  I can't really give a estemite on price as I have never attempted to ship anything this heavy/big before and originaly the shipping was free when I bought it.......

Bardoly

Kudos to you for this possible raffle!

I assume that your location is accurate - Texas, so that may help those who're interested, like myself.  What's the size, condition, and weight?  Maybe I can figure out a ballpark figure for shipping with ballpark boxed dimensions and weight.

Arkhan Asylum

Enter me in the goddamn raffle thing because I am tired of trying to find one and I need to get me one.

If you take it to a goodwill, I will pee on your lawn.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Medic_wheat

It is a Sony Trinitron, PVM-20M2MDU

IMG

IMG

IMG

Included now are pictures.  Apart from the crack on the bottom right corner it is all good.  Does not affect function picture or anything.

The crack happened while was carrying this and its doupalganer from the front office to my apartment ...my frilly arms got Tired halfway back and I dropped the box.....and the crack happened...

VenomMacbeth

I want!  I've been dying to have a good monitor for my gameses!

I wonder how much shipping it would cost, though...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Tatsujin

I think a PVM raffle is a very bad idea. also I couldn't imagine that any sane person would be interested in such an old tube shit that only make video games looking worse than they're already are.

and now, open that raffle :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

jtucci31

I'm interested! This is a cool raffle. I've been wanting one of those for awhile. I don't speak for everyone but I don't mind paying for shipping. Pictures would be pretty cool too.

PunkCryborg

Joe Redifer

I'd definitely be interested. I love RGB. I'd certainly pay shipping.

Medic_wheat

Sweet looks like there is enough interest....

Arkhan Asylum

Guys listen, I already won the raffle, everyone can go home.

How much is shipping to my pants.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Medic_wheat

I count 7 people interested.  I think it is a go.

Arkhan
Joe (Gamesack)
PunkCryborg
Jtucci31
Tatsujin
VenomMacbeth
Bardoly

Did I miss anyone?

Still willing to add until 12 midnight July 31st

HailingTheThings

Sign me up please?! My Panasonic Tau is a butt!!!
IMG

NightWolve

Not interested but wanted to give ya a karma point for the raffle. Given the current list of applicants, it's a tough choice of who I would prefer to win between Arkhan and GameSack Joe. In the end, gonna have to go with Joe, the coolest dude that I know. GameSack4ever, brother! :P

HailingTheThings

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/08/2014, 02:48 AMNot interested but wanted to give ya a karma point for the raffle. Given the current list of applicants, it's a tough choice of who I would prefer to win between Arkhan and GameSack Joe. In the end, gonna have to go with Joe, the coolest dude that I know. GameSack4ever, brother! :P
Actually instead of a traditional raffle, why not just have everyone vote? Could be a thing*, yeah?

*meaning no one votes because they're all buttholes who only like the smell of their own farts. MEH MEH MEH
IMG

pulstar

What an awesome raffle :D PVMs are lovely. Whoever gets it your in for a treat if you haven't used one before.

(No raffle entry for me please, I don't have space and the postage will probably cost $300 :))
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

TR0N

Sign me up i all ways wanted to join the pvm club  :wink: Beside the fact i could use one for the older consoles.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

turbokon

Count me in please.  I have always mostly played my games on HDTV.  I want to see what all the fuss is about with PVM.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

PunkCryborg

Thanks, but don't add me I was just  commenting on the size. I have 5 RGB monitors already :p

Tatsujin

ah medic. i was just making fun in this thread. please remove me from the raffle. and thx a lot  ^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

bartre

sure, toss my name in too if you don't mind.
heck, i might even just drive down to get it :P

whisper2053

I'll gladly take Tats' place :D
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: bartre on 07/08/2014, 11:44 AMsure, toss my name in too if you don't mind.
Same here!  Where you at, Medic?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 07/08/2014, 12:23 PM
Quote from: bartre on 07/08/2014, 11:44 AMsure, toss my name in too if you don't mind.
Same here!  Where you at, Medic?
Victoria, TX

Butthole of no where...

Medic_wheat

Alrighty then...

Names updated. Some added some deleted this is getting way more interest then I thought...

Tatsujin

Quote from: whisper2053 on 07/08/2014, 11:59 AMI'll gladly take Tats' place :D
that will cost you.. a beer! :D

xcrement5x

Don't add me either, but kudos to you for an awesome raffle. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

TheClash603

How much does this thing weigh?

Sign me up!  I've never used a monitor before and I hear it is a life changing experience!

csgx1

Awesome raffle.  I've been looking for one and this size too.  I'd like to join in the raffle if I could please.  Thanks!

Has anyone had experience shipping or receiving something this big, fragile, and heavy?  I can imagine it getting tossed around and busted up pretty easily by the shipping company.

NightWolve

So nobody ever got a RGB mod done to their CRT TVs, eh ? I vaguely heard about this ages ago, but back when TV/VCR repair folks could still make a living before they went the way of most arcades, extinct.

The idea is you'd install a custom switch and four 75 Ohm prepped jacks for C-Sync, Red, Green, and Blue, and so when the switch is in the RGB-in position, it disconnects the SRGB lines from the TV tuner/output module and reroutes them to the jacks. That's the basic idea for the mod and it was apparently offered by some professionals if you'd bring your TV in. I would bet 'thesteve' knows how to do this. Now how complicated this really is, would you need a circuit for more processing in-between, I dunno, but I heard it could be done if you wanted the option to a regular CRT TV that didn't provide RGB inputs. It's a bypass mod, basically.

Tatsujin

I think what he ment to say is that he never used an actual monitor for gaming, except any kind of normal CRT TV sets.

NightWolve

Yeah, I understood that, but I'm wondering how many knew, let alone realize such a mod could be done. See, a monitor is basically a TV without a tuner built-in and has more types of inputs (RGB). Your CRT TV has a video module with a tuner and input support for Composite, S-Video, YPbPr, RF, but no RGB. The video module either produces a video signal when it's in tuner mode or processes it from the external inputs and then produces a SRGB signal that it sends to the "guns" of the tube. If you tap those SRGB lines and have a switch to reroute them to custom jacks to input raw, 75 Ohm ready SRGB signals from a console system, you'll get all the benefits of the best analog video signal transfer. The nice CRT TV that you still have right now could be modded for SRGB input in theory, but alas, you need thesteve's brain for such an endeavour. ;)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/08/2014, 10:27 PMHow much does this thing weigh?

Sign me up!  I've never used a monitor before and I hear it is a life changing experience!
I am unsure of the weight, but it feels heavy...I was guessing 25-35 lbs., but since I didn't even origianly guess the right size of the screen (originaly I was thinking 15 inchs) which is 20 inches, I may be WAY off on weight.

I am guessing someone else here might be better judge of weight lol.....maybe it is closer to the 50 lbs mark?

I have added pictures of the monitor so maybe that will help.

red plush dog, and TG-16 not part of raffle lol..

NecroPhile

Based on interweb searchings by model number, it's 66 lbs 2 ozs.  That's about $80 through USPS.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 07/09/2014, 03:51 PMBased on interweb searchings by model number, it's 66 lbs 2 ozs.  That's about $80 through USPS.
That's still not that bad.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 07/09/2014, 03:51 PMBased on interweb searchings by model number, it's 66 lbs 2 ozs.  That's about $80 through USPS.
WOW......might sound sad but I am surprised I was able to carry two of these in a over sized carboard box (one of which in a heavy duty plastic pellican box) and not drop them until the halfway mark.....that was WAY more weight then I thought I was lifting at the time.........still wish my girly muscles didn't give out lol...

66 lbs 2 ozs. sounds like a fact to me......

excluding anyone who may live in Canadia land or such..(I don't mind shipping so long as you don't paying for the shipping).....

NightWolve

66 pounds ? That's basically about the weight of a cement bag, unless you go for the next size up of 80 lbs. I should've stuck with 60 lbs. bags last time I did some concrete walkway replacing. Hurt myself dragging those 80 pounders around, but you save money going with those instead. I needed like 24 bags so it took a toll. Anyway, I don't blame ya giving out and dropping it.

Joe Redifer

No! Don't drop it! Bad NightWolve, bad!  ;)

Yeah too bad it's not small enough to fit in a flat rate box otherwise shipping might be cheaper. Still $80 or is expected.

toktogul

add me to the list please! about to move back to canada and i have no tv hahah

TR0N

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/07/2014, 06:51 PMLocation: Victoria, TX 77901

It is a Sony Trinitron, PVM-20M2MDU

IMG

IMG

IMG

Included now are pictures.  Apart from the crack on the bottom right corner it is all good.  Does not affect function picture or anything.

The crack happened while was carrying this and its doupalganer from the front office to my apartment ...my frilly arms got Tired halfway back and I dropped the box.....and the crack happened...
Doesn't look to bad at least and you stated the picture is good still.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Medic_wheat

I should probably post pictures of game play just for fun.

*I never knew of PVM monitors until a few years back when I initally joined the Neo Geo Forums.....

I didn't think at the time the video quality would be any diffrent then a CRT TV, so I walked in with low expectations......Sure I saw Video's regarding them on Youtube, but it never looked much diffrent if at all...

BUT

Then I picked up my two (soon to be one) PVM monitors and I was surprised at the diffrence....

Sure it was anoying that I had to buy speakers for it (Goodwill Boss Speakers $12) and then the component addapters for my RGB connectors (Radioshack) but man is it fun to play games on this...

The larger CRT TV I got for free.....

once again at my apartment complex next to the dumpster....had a sign on it that said "free working" so I grabed it.......Not sure if the VHS player works as I have no VHS tapes on hand, but I do know the DVD player does not work...sadly....

Medic_wheat

Quote from: toktogul on 07/10/2014, 03:44 AMadd me to the list please! about to move back to canada and i have no tv hahah
Added

Arkhan Asylum

why are people participating.   I already won.   

esteban

Crap. Throw my name into the Hatris.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GohanX

jeffhlewis

Not looking to enter into the raffle (got me a 29" PVM this past Winter) but I gotta say - this is a badass raffle and very generous of you. +Karma.

Medic_wheat

Thanks...I just preffer it get some use and tlc.....I'd hate to see it wast away in a goodwill or such..considering most people will get confused on what it is and why they can't hook up a HDMI cable ..

NightWolve

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12889

So nobody familiar with the RGB mod/hack to a regular CRT TV, eh ? I Googled a bit and found someone that succeeded. Now in his case he got lucky and had a TV that was straightfoward to do.

1) You basically would switch the TV to Composite mode (whereby the TV tuner is disabled) and plug the yellow RCA jack from your console like you normally would. This establishes proper Sync as would be normal, so that's the easy part.

2) The actual mod: You basically need to tap/reroute 3 wires for RGB that go to the PCB that attaches to the tube (pictured next). The wires might be colored properly (red, green, blue), or might not as was his case since you see that 2 are white, 1 is black.

IMG

Here's his result using SNES (classic models had a perfect RGB output by default) with "The Legend of Zelda" running:

IMG

IMG

He's obviously not a trained EE, did a crappy job having female RCA jacks hanging out like that afterwards, and the basic rule is you'd want a 75 Ohm resistor to ground on each jack as well (neither did he ground the jacks, but that happens at least when your yellow Composite jack is connected). But yeah, you get the basic idea for how this is done somewhat. Some TVs will NOT be this simple obviously, but it's certainly possible, some will, and it would be cool to be able to convert an old CRT TV of yours that you like into a RGB direct capable model!

Anyway, you would Google search "modding" or "hacking" "a CRT TV for RGB input" to find more info on this idea. Dunno if we already had a thread about this, doubt it, but might be worthwhile to collect and put all related info about this into one some time.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/13/2014, 11:59 PMhttp://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12889

So nobody familiar with the RGB mod/hack to a regular CRT TV, eh ? I Googled a bit and found someone that succeeded. Now in his case he got lucky and had a TV that was straightfoward to do.

1) You basically would switch the TV to Composite mode and plug the yellow RCA jack from your console like you normally would. This establishes proper Sync as would be normal, so that's the easy part.

2) The actual mod: You basically need to tap/reroute 3 wires for RGB that go to the PCB that attaches to the tube (pictured next). The wires might be colored properly (red, green, blue), might not, as was his case since you see that they are 2 white, one black.

IMG

Here's his result using SNES (classic models had a perfect RGB output by default) with "The Legend of Zelda" running:

IMG

IMG

He's obviously not a trained EE, did a crappy job having female RCA jacks hanging out like that afterwards, and the basic rule is you'd want a 75 Ohm resistor to ground on each jack as well (neither did he ground the jacks, but that happens at least when your yellow Composite jack is connected). But yeah, you get the basic idea for how this is done somewhat. Some TVs will NOT be this simple obviously, but it's certainly possible, some will, and it would be cool to be able to convert an old CRT TV of yours that you like into a RGB direct capable model!

Anyway, you would Google search "modding" or "hacking" "a CRT TV for RGB input" to find more info on this idea. Dunno if we already had a thread about this, doubt it, but might be worthwhile to collect and put all related info about this some time.
Tis is very interesting. 

Have you attempted this yourself?  I might have to see about moding my CRT tv that I am keeping seeing how it is bigger........

NightWolve

I kinda thought about it - it's interesting to try some time. I got a great 32" Panasonic CRT to try this with, but it needs to be researched some more first as there's some risk when messing around. The only console I have ready-to-go right now with perfect RGB output to try this with is the same SNES that he has there. My Turbo Duo is still opened up for cap replacement and the YPbPr Component mod that I need to get back to soon. This CRT of mine has good YPbPr Component inputs so I use that for everything (BluRay, PS2, etc.) and that kinda makes this idea not much of a priority.

Sidenote: Careful with opening and what you touch in a CRT TV as there are some big capacitors that might not get fully discharged after unplugging it and give you a "special surprise" you might not enjoy very much. ;)