@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Turbo/PCE/Genesis/SNES RGB-to-YPbPr/Component Video Chip For Sale!

Started by turbokon, 06/14/2013, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesteve

turbokon

I tapped from the expansion pin (pin#??) corresponding to hu6260 pin44. It's the yellow wire in the pic.

ExpansionPin.jpg
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

I tapped from the expansion pin (pin#??) corresponding to hu6260 pin44. It's the yellow wire in the pic.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

Duo_R

anyone try on the old school Sony flat Trinitrons?

Quote from: Keith Courage on 02/10/2014, 07:47 PMDo Any CRT TVs work with this mod? The ones I have tried all have extremely faded colors and look horrible even with adjustments.

However, colors looks awesome on my plasma :)
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Bernie

Ok guys and gals.  I had this mod done by turbokon to a TG-16/CD setup, and a Turbo Duo.  I have to tell you, there is NO explaining how freaking good this mod looks.  Pics just CANNOT do it justice.  I actually kept switching from AV to Component, just to compare on different scenes, different games, ect.  It truely is amazing how much richer the colors are.  If you do not have the know-how to perform the mod yourself, then by all means..  Get with turbokon, and send him your unit.  I wish I had done this long ago, cuz now I wanna replay everything.  If ya on the fence, just jump.  Thats all I can say.   :mrgreen:

turbokon

For those whose wants to keep the stock look for the component video mod for their duo or pce coregrafx, this din-8 is pretty much a drop in replacement. You will have to drill a couple if holes for the grounding pins as they don't line up with the existing holes.  You will also need to bend the 3 extra pins for YPbPr needed.  I believe this is the same for the genesis

http://bit.ly/1mKjcP2

I will be selling the component video boards at a discounted price at MGC for those that will be attending MGC.

www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

turbokon

Just modified the comlink port to output component video for a Turboexpress:)

IMG
IMG
IMG

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

NightWolve

Quote from: turbokon on 04/05/2014, 12:47 AMJust modified the comlink port to output component video for a Turboexpress :)

IMG
Good mod to have for the following reason also: Next time you're ready to buy a new big screen LCD for your entertainment center, you can bring your modded Express along with the cabling to Best Buy, Target, Walmart or wherever you're gonna buy it from, and hook up the green Luma cable to the Luma jack of the display model you're interested in, switch to Component mode and find out if it's 240p retro-friendly if you get a perfect black'n'white picture or nothing at all.

You'd now have a portable device that outputs a genuine 240p signal to randomly test display models with before purchasing, etc. This avoids buying the TV, taking it home and hooking it up only to find out that it only accepts a genuine 480i signal or better when it comes Component. Thus, FYI. I returned two 19" LCD TVs a few black Friday sales ago because they rejected the 240p signals, thus were not retro-friendly. If I had this, I could've tested them right in the store and not wasted my time, you get the idea. The more you know. ;)

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: turbokon on 04/05/2014, 12:47 AMJust modified the comlink port to output component video for a Turboexpress:)

IMG
IMG
IMG
This rules, if I ever get a Turbo Express, I gotta get that done.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

turbokon

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/05/2014, 09:01 PM
Quote from: turbokon on 04/05/2014, 12:47 AMJust modified the comlink port to output component video for a Turboexpress:)
IMG
Good mod to have for the following reason also: Next time you're ready to buy a new big screen LCD for your entertainment center, you can bring your modded Express along with the cabling to Best Buy, Target, Walmart or wherever you're gonna buy it from, and hook up the green Luma cable to the Luma jack of the display model you're interested in, switch to Component mode and find out if it's 240p retro-friendly if you get a perfect black'n'white picture or nothing at all.

You'd now have a portable device that outputs a genuine 240p signal to randomly test display models with before purchasing, etc. This avoids buying the TV, taking it home and hooking it up only to find out that it only accepts a genuine 480i signal or better when it comes Component. Thus, FYI. I returned two 19" LCD TVs a few black Friday sales ago because they rejected the 240p signals, thus were not retro-friendly. If I had this, I could've tested them right in the store and not wasted my time, you get the idea. The more you know. ;)
Night, I didn't have this in mind when I did this mod but yeah you can add this as one of the benefits;)

All my turbo/pce systems are in my office.  If I want to play turbo anywhere else, I just hook up the express:)

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

kale_criss

Ordered one last day of April, I saw this at MGC and should have picked one up there. I am going to try and use it in an MVS that I am building into a X-Arcade dual stick. Has anyone confirmed it works with an MVS?

Sensato Kuro

I've uploaded another video of the board in action, this time installed in a SNES...

NightWolve

Quote from: Sensato Kuro on 05/08/2014, 01:12 PMI've uploaded another video of the board in action, this time installed in a SNES...
That was a fun game, Wild Guns. One of the few imports I gained an affection for and enjoyed.

BTW, what model SNES do you have ?? Just FYI, did you know about the native YPbPr/Component support ? Only if the video encoder chip doesn't say S-RGB anywhere, though.

Sensato Kuro

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/08/2014, 04:39 PM
Quote from: Sensato Kuro on 05/08/2014, 01:12 PMI've uploaded another video of the board in action, this time installed in a SNES...
That was a fun game, Wild Guns. One of the few imports I gained an affection for and enjoyed.

BTW, what model SNES do you have ?? Just FYI, did you know about the native YPbPr/Component support ? Only if the video encoder chip doesn't say S-RGB anywhere, though.
Yep, I've heard about the native component mod for the SNES. I've tried it on a few diffent SNES variants but I always get washed out colors (yellows seem to be mainly affected).

NightWolve

Quote from: Sensato Kuro on 05/08/2014, 08:11 PMYep, I've heard about the native component mod for the SNES. I've tried it on a few diffent SNES variants but I always get washed out colors (yellows seem to be mainly affected).
Yeah, I've heard the complaint on yellows. I hoped someone by now that was a professional EE would design the best circuit amp for those signals, but as it stands only a generic circuit is available. I would like to know the results if you add steve's circuit to one that has the right chip, do both mods and compare results from the same unit. I guess you're already suggesting steve's will likely be better though.

Sensato Kuro

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/08/2014, 10:52 PM
Quote from: Sensato Kuro on 05/08/2014, 08:11 PMYep, I've heard about the native component mod for the SNES. I've tried it on a few diffent SNES variants but I always get washed out colors (yellows seem to be mainly affected).
Yeah, I've heard the complaint on yellows. I hoped someone by now that was a professional EE would design the best circuit amp for those signals, but as it stands only a generic circuit is available. I would like to know the results if you add's steve's circuit to one that has the right chip, do both mods and compare results from the same unit. I guess you're already suggesting Steve's will be better.
For the sake of it, I'll try to do a side by side comparison sometime. I might also add Ace's BA7230 based circuit to the mix.

Steve's PCB has it's own issue(s) actually. I've witnessed some distortion or an undesired green tint on the top of the screen. The effect can be minimized with a sync cleaner or by adjusting the Y pot on the PCB. That said, overall, Steve's circuit does a better job that the native SNES component IMO.

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

Added a few video's on the component vid install via din8 socket with custom cable.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

Sensato Kuro

Has this been confirmed to work with the NESRGB PCB? If not, I'm about to test it soon so I'll report back about that.

turbokon

Quote from: Sensato Kuro on 07/06/2014, 10:36 AMHas this been confirmed to work with the NESRGB PCB? If not, I'm about to test it soon so I'll report back about that.
No I haven't tried it yet.  Please do and let us know.

www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

Ravij

turbokon - can I ask how much it cost to get that PCB made?

I did a RGB conversion using the NJM2267 amps, but I actually have a pair of the surface mount versions of them too. An SMD version of that circuit would be pretty awesome!

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10801.120

thesteve

Ravij

Going off topic - is there an easy way to take 5 volts and bump it up to say 9-12 volts?

The reason I'm asking is that Euro SCART TV's have an automatic switching mode in the Scart socket that changes the aspect ratio between 16:9 and 4:3 depending on the voltage presented to pin 8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART#Blanking_and_switching

Currently I have the 5 volt line from the DIN going here, so it's switching to 16:9 everytime I power on. Could a simple transistor circuit do this?

turbokon

Quote from: Ravij on 07/18/2014, 10:23 AMGoing off topic - is there an easy way to take 5 volts and bump it up to say 9-12 volts?

The reason I'm asking is that Euro SCART TV's have an automatic switching mode in the Scart socket that changes the aspect ratio between 16:9 and 4:3 depending on the voltage presented to pin 8.

Currently I have the 5 volt line from the DIN going here, so it's switching to 16:9 everytime I power on. Could a simple transistor circuit do this?
You can try a voltage divider circuit to increase the voltage.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

kisaku

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

pnauts

Quote from: Ravij on 07/18/2014, 10:23 AMGoing off topic - is there an easy way to take 5 volts and bump it up to say 9-12 volts?

don't wire this pin on SCART and you'll have no trouble.
IMG

NightWolve

Yeah, very easy, tap a power contact after the power switch (best point), anywhere before the power line gets to the 5 V regulators! The power supply is rated 10 V, but it's a cheap unregulated design, and for me, it measures like 11.9 Volts, so no power inverting is necessary! I assume we're talking about a Turbo Duo console, but many others are at 10+ V as well.

Something tells me pnauts is right though, you never should've connected 5 V to this pin in the first place... It should just default to 4:3 with the video signals connected. Nobody else ever had this problem or talked about it (in my time here) and you shouldn't have to wire a 12 V line in a cable just to get a default video signal working. Regardless, I offer the solution with the assumption that you possibly have a picky TV that does it by the book when it comes to the SCART standard.

turbokon

I'm currently working with thesteve on a totally redesigned new component video board.  The new boards will be better compatible with more TV's sets and will have a more universal application usage meaning it will work with more systems not just with the turbo/pce systems.  More to come.

www.tg16pcemods.com

viper0hr

Very cool!
The video qualitys improvement is amazing, over it's already good look.

turbokon

Here is what the new board layout looks like with an optional composite sync stripper board.  I will do a final review this weekend.

IMG

www.tg16pcemods.com

crans

turbokon

Orders for the new revised boards and parts have been placed.  They should arrive in two to three weeks.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

RGB to Component version 2 boards are ready for sale.   Still waiting on parts for the sync stripper circuit.  The sync stripper circuit is not needed for the turbo and pce systems.  Note the main board will be slightly more then the previous version due to more components with the revised design.  New price is $37 shipped within US and the sync stripper will be optional available for another $8.

Some improvement over the previous version:
The signals are more stable with more HDTV that supports 240P (better sync)
higher clarity
better black level
better green purity
more consistent brightness over different sources and displays
higher contrast range (adjustable)
Better ground shielding to protect from interference
Reduce jailbars

I have not updated my website yet, so please pm me for ordering.

IMG

www.tg16pcemods.com

seieienbu

Do these add any additional latency to video output?  Have you checked?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

thesteve

they cant as they dont buffer
all transcoding is done realtime

cjameslv

turbokon

Updated original post with the version 2 component board information.

www.tg16pcemods.com

cjameslv

Quote from: turbokon on 10/15/2014, 08:56 AMUpdated original post with the version 2 component board information.
Do you have the info on how you did the cd dock install? I got your v2 sitting here for a few days now and i have some free time tonight to install it :)

turbokon

Quote from: cjameslv on 10/15/2014, 09:26 PM
Quote from: turbokon on 10/15/2014, 08:56 AMUpdated original post with the version 2 component board information.
Do you have the info on how you did the cd dock install? I got your v2 sitting here for a few days now and i have some free time tonight to install it :)
Try this.

wayback.tg16pcemods.com/tg-16_pce_component_mod_guide.pdf

It doesn't give you step by step instruction but it should give you the general ideal.

www.tg16pcemods.com

cjameslv

Quote from: turbokon on 10/16/2014, 08:01 AM
Quote from: cjameslv on 10/15/2014, 09:26 PM
Try this.

wayback.tg16pcemods.com/tg-16_pce_component_mod_guide.pdf

It doesn't give you step by step instruction but it should give you the general ideal.
Thanks basically just mirror the exp bus pins for the connector and find spots to fit everything. 
I'll be doing this tonight.