RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

TurboGrafx-16 @Software Etc. (Stills from training video)

Started by esteban, 01/14/2015, 03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

https://www.tg-16.com/TurboGrafx-16_Software_Etc.htm

I think Aaron might have recently acquired the TG-16 sign featured so prominently in the video.

IMG
IMG

HELP SOLVE THE MYSTERY:

IMG

Enigmatic TG-16 Sign

Watch the video.
AARON's sign:
IMG

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 01/14/2015, 03:21 AMhttps://www.tg-16.com/TurboGrafx-16_Software_Etc.htm

I think Aaron might have recently acquired the TG-16 sign featured so prominently in the video.

IMG
IMG

HELP SOLVE THE MYSTERY:

IMG

Enigmatic TG-16 Sign

Watch the video.
Nice video, I haven't seen the old school Software Etc. logo in years.
--DragonmasterDan

NightWolve

Great work putting all that together so fast from that video! It was kind of boring at parts and I tried many times to close it down, but I couldn't resist some of the charm. ;)

HailingTheThings

Esty = besty. Visited the site, downloaded Dragon Spirit ost. Because Le Turbo Doodle episode put me in the mood. Also, I played the game.

:3
IMG

cjameslv

Wow i can't believe i watched that whole thing, it was so cheesy yet could't stop myself.  :shock:

NecroPhile

I couldn't handle more than 30 seconds of the video, but the screen caps are nice.  :mrgreen:

It's crazy what companies will spend on making such training materials.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 01/14/2015, 10:47 AMI couldn't handle more than 30 seconds of the video, but the screen caps are nice.  :mrgreen:

It's crazy what companies will spend on making such training materials.
I know right.
It's almost like they hired real non-union actors out of a classified ad in a local newspaper and used an actual software etc store location with a real video camera to record it outside of normal business hours!
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

As cheesy as it is, I'm sure they spent at least $10,000 on that piece of crap, plus the cost of distributing it to each store and paying people to watch it.  And for what, so they can teach entry level employees what their manager should've been able to tell them in five minutes?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 01/14/2015, 11:43 AMAs cheesy as it is, I'm sure they spent at least $10,000 on that piece of crap, plus the cost of distributing it to each store and paying people to watch it.  And for what, so they can teach entry level employees what their manager should've been able to tell them in five minutes?
I'd say counting the cost of distributing tapes and paying people to watch it sure. In the early 90s when I was old enough to do so with parental consent I started taking classes and producing cable access shows. Seriously just renting that equipment and getting free/dirt cheap actors out of a classified ad would be all that would be needed to produce that.

I'd imagine the actual production of the video context could have been done for well under 1,000.00. But yeah, actually distributing the tapes and paying people to watch that ridiculousness rather than handing out a pamphlet that says "Follow the Plan-O-Gram" obviously drove the total cost of it up.
--DragonmasterDan

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Sarumaru

So what's the mystery? What that sign reads? Simple, it says "Turbografx 16 system - Now Only $99.99". Now where's my hug and points??

esteban

Quote from: Sarumaru on 01/14/2015, 01:12 PMSo what's the mystery? What that sign reads? Simple, it says "Turbografx 16 system - Now Only $99.99". Now where's my hug and points??
I wish that it were that easy! Half a hug.

IMG

Psycho Punch

Nintendo Interactive Retail Store Displays

Why the Turbo never had these "cool" training videos...
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

clackattack

I studied anceint hierogliphics while I was getting my PhD at Harvard... pretty sure the lower portion of the sign is in sandscrit... Looks to read "Now Only" and I would assume the rest of it, i.e. the part we cant see, prolly is advertising a price drop.
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

Sarumaru

And what could possible come after that? THE PRICE OF 99.99 - still waiting for hugs.

DragonmasterDan

I read the sign as "Now Only"

It makes me wonder a bit about the timeline. I thought it was still 159.99 or so around 1991. And I thought the video was from 1991 as no sign or mention of Super NES was made.
--DragonmasterDan

Sarumaru

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/14/2015, 03:25 PMI read the sign as "Now Only"

It makes me wonder a bit about the timeline. I thought it was still 159.99 or so around 1991. And I thought the video was from 1991 as no sign or mention of Super NES was made.
It totally does. HUGS FOR EVERYONE

esteban

Quote from: Sarumaru on 01/14/2015, 02:49 PMAnd what could possible come after that? THE PRICE OF 99.99 - still waiting for hugs.
Half a hug was a fair, I thought :)

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/14/2015, 03:25 PMI read the sign as "Now Only"

Yes, that was the next piece to tackle: the year the footage was shot:

https://archives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm?col=desc&val=$

(Make sure the "$" remains in there)

If you follow this link, it sorts by price. We know the TG-16 is $99.99.

August 1991 editorial lists this...but we can look to see if earlier ads/catalogs list an earlier moment for a $99.99 TG-16.

Edit: here is the same "news", but in a different magazine.

https://archives.tg-16.com/turbo_play_0008.htm#p14

Also, the video is clear enough to see Genesis games...identifying titles can help us get a ballpark guess.

Sarumaru

Quote from: esteban on 01/14/2015, 03:58 PM
Quote from: Sarumaru on 01/14/2015, 02:49 PMAnd what could possible come after that? THE PRICE OF 99.99 - still waiting for hugs.
Half a hug was a fair, I thought :)
Half hugs don't work. How bout a tug? :D

BlueBMW

We need to get Sarumaru and HailingTheThings together... ;)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 01/14/2015, 03:58 PMYes, that was the next piece to tackle: the year the footage was shot:

August 1991 editorial lists this...but we can look to see if earlier ads/catalogs list an earlier moment for a $99.99 TG-16.

Also, the video is clear enough to see Genesis games...identifying titles can help us get a ballpark guess.
Yeah, I saw Sonic noted a few places so I figured this had to have been shot in 1991 in those Summer months after Sonic came out but prior to the Super Nintendo. I also noticed the Altered Beast model Genesis on the shelf which was phased out not too soon afterwards.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Sarumaru

Quote from: BlueBMW on 01/14/2015, 07:11 PMWe need to get Sarumaru and HailingTheThings together... ;)
I think I weird him out. He's such a normy

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/14/2015, 07:23 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/14/2015, 03:58 PMYes, that was the next piece to tackle: the year the footage was shot:

Yeah, I saw Sonic noted a few places so I figured this had to have been shot in 1991 in those Summer months after Sonic came out but prior to the Super Nintendo. I also noticed the Altered Beast model Genesis on the shelf which was phased out not too soon afterwards.
So, am I safe if I note that this footage was shot in first half of 1991? I don't care when the training video was actually released...I just want to date the raw footage.

Joe Redifer

I want that big-ass TurboGrafx-16 sign.

Also, why are the screen caps tilted?

NightWolve

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/14/2015, 09:22 PMAlso, why are the screen caps tilted?
Oh come on, it's an alternate style; esteban's trying to be flashy, stylish, produce atypical web presentations, etc.

IMG

In moderate use, it's cool. I guess it could get annoying if overused though.

It's not too different from these:

IMG

Why must everything be straight, Joe ?? Can't some things be crooked/tilted, some of the time ?? ;)

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Sarumaru on 01/14/2015, 07:44 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 01/14/2015, 07:11 PMWe need to get Sarumaru and HailingTheThings together... ;)
I think I weird him out. He's such a normy
I am?

IMG
IMG

Sarumaru

clackattack

X2 on the hugs! We got it figured out im pretty sure ;)
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 01/14/2015, 07:49 PMSo, am I safe if I note that this footage was shot in first half of 1991? I don't care when the training video was actually released...I just want to date the raw footage.
The fact that Sonic shows in a few places makes me think between May and August 1991.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/15/2015, 03:13 AM
Quote from: esteban on 01/14/2015, 07:49 PMSo, am I safe if I note that this footage was shot in first half of 1991? I don't care when the training video was actually released...I just want to date the raw footage.
The fact that Sonic shows in a few places makes me think between May and August 1991.
Excellent, I will use that. :)

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/14/2015, 09:22 PMI want that big-ass TurboGrafx-16 sign.

Also, why are the screen caps tilted ?
Just click on the "tilted" thumbnail for a huge, non-tilted raw screen capture. :)

And NightWolve is correct—I wanted to try something fun....print and web design, most often, seems to be "too flashy" or "too bland"...

Plus, you can always look at the non-adulterated originals.

Groover

WoW, I just watched that whole thing. I was looking for years on the Sports games but they hadn't started that till later. Sonic is a big one also the absence of an SNES seems to be May or June. Sonic came out on June 23rd 1991 in the US.

Also old video game signage would be cool.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Groover on 01/15/2015, 08:11 PMWoW, I just watched that whole thing. I was looking for years on the Sports games but they hadn't started that till later. Sonic is a big one also the absence of an SNES seems to be May or June. Sonic came out on June 23rd 1991 in the US.

Also old video game signage would be cool.
I liked Lemmings, but would I want a huge lemming cardboard sign like the one on the video.

No.

Or am I saying that because I really would want it but afraid to admit it? Hmmmm....

UPDATE: If Aaron wasn't busy working on 80 different projects, he'd be able to tell us if his sign resembles the one in the video.

LINK TO AARON's sign: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17082.msg385611#msg385611

IMG

IMG

Joe Redifer

OK I thought you were tilting them just for the forum, I didn't see that you created an entire web page dedicated to this amazing training video.

Gentlegamer

I would love to have these signs, I could build the most embarrassing nerd room ever

IMG
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

ccovell

Lemmings PC came out May 1991
MS-DOS 5.0, June 1991
Mario Andretti's Racing Challenge PC... 20 August 1991
Where in America's Past is Carmen Sandiego? PC... 15 Sept. 1991

Now, the last one might be a promotional box only, but all of the above were easy enough to see in the video.  So the filming date looks like it is August or September 1991.

(But where was the SNES?)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: ccovell on 01/17/2015, 11:25 AMLemmings PC came out May 1991
MS-DOS 5.0, June 1991
Mario Andretti's Racing Challenge PC... 20 August 1991
Where in America's Past is Carmen Sandiego? PC... 15 Sept. 1991

Now, the last one might be a promotional box only, but all of the above were easy enough to see in the video.  So the filming date looks like it is August or September 1991.

(But where was the SNES?)
SNES came out August 22nd or so of 1991. Stores might have been a week or so late in actually stocking it. So August 1991 sounds right.
--DragonmasterDan

PCEngineFX

Yes, my sign IS the one in the video.

Crazy how the sign and the video have just now popped up!
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

Bernie

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 01/28/2015, 01:13 AMYes, my sign IS the one in the video.

He lives!  :)  Good to see ya active there Aaron.

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 01/28/2015, 01:13 AMYes, my sign IS the one in the video.

Hahahahahshashs! I know, right?

And, I wasn't even looking for TG-16 stuff on YouTube when that video popped up. AND, I wasn't going to even watch it, but I said, "Just a few minutes..."

Thanks for confirming. :)

Joe Redifer

Like, the exact literal sign in the video? As in your sign, the one you have in your possession right now watched this video be made? Or do you have a sign exactly like it.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/29/2015, 04:35 PMLike, the exact literal sign in the video? As in your sign, the one you have in your possession right now watched this video be made? Or do you have a sign exactly like it.
Via PM, we confirmed that it is actually the exact same sign. 5 pieces of evidence confirm it:

(1) on the back of the sign, a short note is written in a silver gray marker ("Keith wiz here '89")

(2) dried flan (visible in the video at 3:33) on the "G" of "Grafx"

(3) Undisclosed.

(4) Undisclosed.

(5) several threads of colorful silk were caught on the mounting bracket (behind the sign), consistent with a genie costume.

PCEngineHell

After watching this video I am now sure that I am fully prepared to manage a 1990s Software Etc. installed in one of the many Middle American malls. I shall now construct a time machine, and prepare myself for my new venture into the world of 1990s retail.

esteban

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/04/2015, 01:45 AMAfter watching this video I am now sure that I am fully prepared to manage a 1990s Software Etc. installed in one of the many Middle American malls. I shall now construct a time machine, and prepare myself for my new venture into the world of 1990s retail.
Hahahahahshashs. Just follow the marketing plan, and make sure your endcaps are appealing. You'll be fine.

technozombie

I used to work at Software Etc, started in Nov. of 1999. I later became the manager but that wasn't until around 2002 and it was Gamestop by then.

PCEngineHell

With all the phantasms that seem to have appeared over night in their stores to haunt the lowly but highly witty night shift guy, I'm surprised you managed to last that long. Surely every store they had was also haunted too.

technozombie

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/04/2015, 08:45 PMWith all the phantasms that seem to have appeared over night in their stores to haunt the lowly but highly witty night shift guy, I'm surprised you managed to last that long. Surely every store they had was also haunted too.
When I worked there Playstation was the big system, Dreamcast was out but didn't command the shelf space of Ps1. Anyways, we always gutted a copy to put on the floor, just as they do now.  One day this little girl comes in and wants to buy the last copy Mary Kate and Ashley: Winners Circle.  Oddly enough the girl seems too young to be walking around the mall by herself but I think, "Oh well she's got money that's all that matters."  The next morning I open the store and I'm going about my routine alphabetizing games, and holy shit what do I find, Mary Kate and Ashley: Winners Circle. I know I sold the last one, so I think, "Well her parents must have made her return it," and I go about my business. So later that day the same little girl walks in, and proceeds to re-buy the game. I didn't ring her up but I saw that it was the same girl.  The next day I was off, then the following day I work the evening shift. So I was talking with my co-worker who opened the store that morning and jokingly told him about that girl buying the game and then coming back the next day and buying it again. He looks at me like WTF? "She came in yesterday while you were off and again this morning."  I begin furiously digging through the return log and looking up past transactions and it was never returned. Just bought over and over. The next day the same there it is, on the shelf waiting for the creepy girl to come back and buy it again, but this time I get it and I break the disc in half and mark it as defective in inventory. So later on, like clockwork she comes in and she picks up the case which I forgot take off the shelf. I then say,"You can't buy that the disc is broken." She then looks me dead in the eye and says, its ok I'll still pay Tree Fiddy.

PCEngineHell

I think the most important part of that story was that she wasn't vaccinated for measles.