OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

That Tobias f--k went after Xak III and SO II as pressed CD-ROM releases!

Started by NightWolve, 02/20/2015, 09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richc

Saw this posted in a PC engine group on FB.  Reading back I've got to say this is eye opening.  I always thought he translated and made those games himself.  I can totally see how that guy would have a huge chilling effect on the people/teams that put the effort into translating /patching/ect on them.

I think it was said before, but if this guy doesn't know much about coding, best thing to do is to put some kind of disclaimer in the rom.

TurboXray

Quote from: richc on 02/21/2015, 10:58 AMI think it was said before, but if this guy doesn't know much about coding, best thing to do is to put some kind of disclaimer in the rom. 
He'd just probably hire someone to hack it out. I mean, he hires someone to do the cover art and such.

esteban

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/21/2015, 01:19 PM
Quote from: richc on 02/21/2015, 10:58 AMI think it was said before, but if this guy doesn't know much about coding, best thing to do is to put some kind of disclaimer in the rom. 
He'd just probably hire someone to hack it out. I mean, he hires someone to do the cover art and such.
Wait, he doesn't even do the art/layout design himself?

I thought he at least did that.

Damn.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

technozombie

Quote(C) Tobias "Fudoh" Reich, 2006~2013
Does anyone find that that little copyright C to be extremely hilarious?

Gentlegamer

Since Xak III and Startling Odyssey II have been available as fan translations for some while, we want to give everybody the chance to obtain these discs for free. You can get a set with the two CD-Rom² discs (no packaging, no manuals). The discs will get packaged in sturdy carboard envelopes to ensure safe travel around the globe. While stock lasts (100 bundles available).

So now he's going to give the discs away?
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/21/2015, 10:49 AMSince there are a number of people here who have contributed to the site (not me, I haven't been here long enough :wink:) and are members there, what's that say about this place.

If you want to post individuals who are a$$holes, fine but to say the site is a shit hole is laughable.
Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/21/2015, 10:26 AMNo.

You may not like a few members there but to say the whole forums is a shit hole makes you look childish. It would be like saying because Evil EvoIX posts here the whole forum is full of dicks.

Grow up.
You like it so much, keep those blinders on and get the fuck out of here and go hang out there full time. The place is a shit hole. It has a bad rep for a reason. It spent like what, 14 years earning it? The few good members there have been far outweighed by the bad ones and their actions on a consistent basis. Most of the admins there over the years have been involved in scams or in one particular case, open about their drug dealing at one time or another.

And then there are the normal scammers lurking the sales threads. Then you have all the infighting, far worse then it is here. I have been on that forum before. I have known others there who left and went over to Klov/Vaps, or are still there but mainly lurk now because the place has gotten so shitty. I also know most of the long timers here who post there. They are solid guys, and a credit to this forum.

bartre

so.....................
why get our own printed?
I figure you can get these printed and shipped for 11 euro with a buck or two in your pocket.

NightWolve -
You want to make this happen?
I just need your ok and I'll make it happen.

ClodBusted

According to Denic.de, Hazard-city.de is registered to:

QuoteDomaininhaber:   Tobias William Reich
Adresse:   Ysenburgstrasse 3
PLZ:   80634
Land:   DE
You can report complaints about the website to the host:
QuoteName:   Hostmaster Domainfactory
Adresse:   Domainfactory GmbH
Oskar-Messter-Strasse 33
PLZ:   85737
Land:   DE
Telefon:   +49 89 55266 0
Telefax:   +49 89 55266 222
E-Mail:   hostmaster@domainfactory.de
However, since PCE Works/Memories is hosted on a wordpress.com subdomain, the host in question would be wordpress.com or automattic.com for copyright complaints, etc.

SkyeWelse

Tobias also wrote back to my email as well. It's not much different from the one that was posted earlier by Sadler:

QuoteHi Thomas,

thanks for your email and your concerns.

It's a balancing act. We're talking to NightWolve already.

In the meantime we're offering the translated discs for free to everybody.

Best
Tobias
At least he claims to be working to try and make this right... I think? But I guess we'll find out when Nightwolve fills us in on the details.

-Thomas

CrackTiger

Quote from: SkyeWelse on 02/21/2015, 06:42 PMTobias also wrote back to my email as well. It's not much different from the one that was posted earlier by Sadler:

QuoteHi Thomas,

thanks for your email and your concerns.

It's a balancing act. We're talking to NightWolve already.

Best
Tobias
At least he claims to be working to try and make this right... I think? But I guess we'll find out when Nightwolve fills us in on the details.

-Thomas
He has claimed all kinds of random things over the years.

Did you know that the copies of Sapphire he has for sale are actually the second official pressing done by Hudson Soft themselves? He confirmed this true fact himself by walking into Hudson HQ in Japan and asking their 2006 PC Engine publishing team.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

synbiosfan

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/21/2015, 05:07 PMYou like it so much, keep those blinders on and get the fuck out of here and go hang out there full time.
Get the fuck out...you know who you sound like don't you :lol:

I do hang out there (since '09), here and many forums. When you have social skills you can do that. :wink:

Why are you trying to run off new people with a different opinion than yours? Again, you know who you sound like don't you.

As you just proved there are jerks on every forum not just that site.

Did you use the same username there? I'd like to see what you did to be treated so poorly.

Bernie

Professor is one of the most respected members here.  He certainly is not a jerk.

synbiosfan

Telling someone to get the fuck out of here is not exactly polite.

Or called for.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/21/2015, 07:28 PM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/21/2015, 05:07 PMYou like it so much, keep those blinders on and get the fuck out of here and go hang out there full time.
Get the fuck out...you know who you sound like don't you :lol:

I do hang out there (since '09), here and many forums. When you have social skills you can do that. :wink:

Why are you trying to run off new people with a different opinion than yours? Again, you know who you sound like don't you.

As you just proved there are jerks on every forum not just that site.

Did you use the same username there? I'd like to see what you did to be treated so poorly.
No one here asked you to white knight the Neo-Geo.com forums. You love it there, we get it, so stfu about it already. This is PCEFX, not the fucking Neo forums. You want to talk up the Neo forums, go there and do it. No one here gives a flying fuck. Most of us old timers here were members there way way before you considered joining that joint.

And for the record, a few from that forum, including a couple of its admins, did come over to try to attack this forum once years back, and a couple of its other respected members have tried to troll this forum before. Its all old history no one cares to regurgitate.

To put it bluntly, you're a noob. You simply don't know, and no one here owes you any detailed explanations about anything, because in the scheme of things, who the fuck are you? Nobody, that's who. You've been here barely a year, and only on the Neo forum since like 2009. Try putting in 8-10 years here of decent to solid contributions, and then maybe your opinion will carry some weight with me.

As for me trying to run people off for differing opinions, you fired first shots kiddo. You responded to my post first. I'm just telling you how it is. Stay, go, I give no fucks about which you choose to do. But you want to keep white knighting and derailing this thread, and I will stay all over your ass for it.

EDIT: And yes, I have been here longer then 2011, so don't bother bringing that up in your soon to be typed retort. I took some time off. Ive been here long time. Now back to Dark Souls 2. I have xp waiting to be grinded. GG.

synbiosfan

When I want information about a specific system, I like to go to the source. These forums have a ton of knowledge and until these last few posts, helpful people. I've used Turbokon and I support the homebrew scene.

Reading up on the Tobias bs and then your comments about another forum reminded me of what's wrong with the net.

I'm not trying to white knight anything and apologize for derailing the thread and ruffling feathers (that's what Fighting Street is for).

NightWolve

Quote from: Sadler on 02/21/2015, 10:37 AM
QuoteHi Sadler,
thanks for your email (honestly!) and your concerns.
Eventually it's a balancing act. We're talking to NightWolve already.
Nightwolve, can you confirm he's spoken to you and is trying to make things right?
Yeah, I got this response:
Quote from: TobiasHi,

thanks for your email (honestly!) and sorry to hear that you feel
like this. Of course there's little we can say to remedy the situation
as is, still let me tell you little more about our point of view and -
hey - maybe there's some common ground we can find.

Let me first comment on the general availability of a game like this.

For years (literally, I think first at least 6 or 7 years ago) I have
been approached to do a packaging concept along with manual for the game.
Obviously to go along with your work on the game. Over the years this
piled up to dozens of requests - with Xak topping the list above
everything else (which I don't really get, but ok).

It never happened, mainly due to the very reasons you've listed
yourself last night. When last year we teamed up to do a line of PCE
repros we created a list of titles based on popularity and especially
on past and recent feedback. Again Xak ended up on the list (obviously),
not without at least a few concerns left.

But what dramatically changed over the past years is the general
market and availability of translated repros for all kinds of systems.
And with that definitely the perception and standards of the users
changed as well. I doubt that there's a single SNES RPG, which has
been translated at some point, that you cannot purchase on a repro
cart within a heartbeat. Moral scruples aside, if one repro maker won't
offer it, a dozen others will.

What does anybody gain if you (not you personally, but generally
speaking) keep telling people that a game isn't available, while it
is available everywhere on the web? You're segregating users. You
grant emu users access to your work, but deny it to users who don't
emulate, don't download, don't burn CDs, no matter how much they
admire your work.

This is what we think - as a team - not about your work in particular,
but in general about all the translations, rom hacks, alternations
and everything else that the community creates. Every user should be
able to choose for himself. Download it for free or buy a nice looking
package to put it on a shelf.

Second there's of course the monetization.

And let me assure you, I hear you on this. And I would certainly agree
to we should (morally) have contacted you beforehand. But as unethical
as it might sound, I have seen too many licensing negotiations and deals
gone wrong - eventually just endangering a project from the start.

You're easy to say that we should have contacted you, but to tell you
what ? To present you with a fait accompli ? This wouldn't have made
a difference to your standpoint. We honestly believe that it's easier
to have a product to show that people really love first. For the very
reasons outlined before.

Usually when you start paying people or agree on royalties, repros
end up being so expensive that only the elitists can afford them.
If you have a look on sites like Nintendoage or Atariage where single
game repros end up being $100+ just because they need to recover the
costs of a proto purchase. This doesn't help anybody.

Obviously you have an idea on what money we are making with a repro
release like this, but I can do the math for you (if needed) and you
will see there's practically no money in a limited run like this.
This changes when a game's selling well and you end up a doing another
run, but we're far from this.

We're not against sharing, but I hardly see a way to keep it fair for
both sides, while not endangering a release at all. The margin for
negotiation is thin and the problems start when one party isn't able
to see that.

>From what I gather you had your share of bad experiences before with
XSeed using one of your translations for a commercial release (sorry
if I got that wrong, I just skimmed the google hits). That's bad -
but you make it sound as if this (Xak) was the same. I guess you agree
that you cannot compare a 50,000 pcs run to a 100 pcs run.

We would very much like to come to an agreement, but when you lament
about a $100,000 loss for doing a (free) translation like this, that's
a non-starter. On a commercial release with 100,000 copies $1 a pop would
be fair, but what does a $1 a pop accomplish on a 100 piece edition ?
But please prove us wrong. Tell us what your idea of a fair agreement
would look like or would have looked like.

When we announced the project yesterday, we got two emails in the
same tone - out of a several dozens not giving a f**k and admiring
the product instead. Still these two emails (along with yours) are
the ones that hurt and the ones you want to make it right for.

So, let's find a common ground. Don't fight the users.

For a start we will make the games available for everybody for free.
Free discs, free shipping as stock lasts. Allow users to enjoy YOUR
work on their classic hardware and allow users (who wish to) to pay
a premium to get our packaging and print work.

Please let us continue to talk about this! A little less emotion
maybe compared to yesterday's email would be nice though.

With good faith and best regards
Tobias, Shlomo, Vasyl, Hubert.
I haven't decided how to respond yet. If I take a cut, I have to track down Paul England (Xak III translator) and offer him a %, so I gotta represent him too. If I tell him [Tobias] to f--k off, he pockets 100% as planned and obviously preferred by the way he's already lowballing it to a $1 a pop... As we know from his past, he's a known liar that pressed Sapphire bootlegs/counterfeits and lyingly tried to pass them off as originals, both to survive eBay's standards/regulations and to maximize profit, etc. Already this response doesn't come off as honest to me, so not a totally positive sign, but I understand he's totally giving away the loose CDs for free now as a result of my "charming" nastygram, so eh, there's some conciliatory action at least. :P I expected him to either ignore me or flip me the bird, so I am somewhat surprised!

Ya know, if I had to do it over again, back then when I was younger and had more energy (Xak III got going about 13 years ago, project started in ~December 2001), I'd try like a GoFundMe or Kickstarter fundraising pitch and what not - those sites weren't around back then, but yeah. So the pitch would be something like, "Hey, do you wanna see Dragon Slayer II translated?" Level 1 Fundraising Goal say $5000 to pay for me and any needed co-programmers and a translator to produce an unlicensed English translation software patch. Level 2 an additional $x,xxx ($5k-$15k) to fundraise for an official license if possible to be able to distribute it with the full game itself, either digital download as well or fancy plastic, etc.

I didn't even have a Paypal icon for donations most of that early period, I added it in 2004, and the first donation came a year later on February 2005 from France! Heh, so viva la France I say even with some sarcasm. ;) I still know the guy (adol1976), too.

Anyway, I did get messaged with a show of concern about Emerald Dragon. I wouldn't sort of rage quit over something like this. In fact, I'm used to it, as well as other forms of abuse by Ys F.A.N.s like libeling/demonizing on 4chan/GameFAQs/Romhackinghacks.net/Ancient Land of Ys/etc., extortion threats, a creepy sort of monitoring over the years with "cyber-shadowboxing" (e.g. omgfloofy/Kirsten Miller, Spinner8, Kitsune Sniper, Psycho John Schizomaniak of HG101 who caught a libel lawsuit for such behavior with people who weren't gonna stand for it!), etc.!

Here's the thing, we all got baggage, myself included, even Tru who was mentioned regarding SO II. Here's a list of similar things by people I knew, unlike Tobias:

1) In October 2002, someone caught Tru selling a CD-R of Xak III on eBay for $5 bucks and messaged me about it. That damaged our friendship, and we stopped speaking to each other for years. He used to run a CD-R backup business after all like Ninja was offering to do not that long ago. Tru had all the popular games ready for $5 each, and he had customers back then because in an era of 56 kbps modems and buggy burner software and hardware, there was plenty demand!

Some good came later though, he apologized, we made up for the most part, and at some point, he voiced interest in becoming like me in terms of translation projects, so I gave up SO II as apart of my umbrella. I gave him a script extraction in my translation software, taught him the principles behind things and so forth and sent him on his way. He eventually produced a patch, although the font is 16x16 and he never recruited a real human translator, so I can't speak to the quality of the work. SignOfZeta said it was good, I recall. Well, a bit of irony in that Tobias is now selling Tru's SO II work without prior communication/consent. ;) At least it's a pressed CD-ROM instead of a shitty CD-R, right ? Heh-heh.

2) A friend of mine caught Shimarisu, the main Ys IV translator, selling CD-Rs of Ys IV with original copies. She had moved to Japan, had an eBay store and would find lots of original PC Engine copies, so she'd make a pre-patched CD-R to complement the sale of an original and boost the price. If she had shown respect and mentioned it, I would not have objected nor bothered to negotiate a "cut," but it's the sneaking around that bothered me most and then someone else catching it and reporting it to me. As with Tru, that ended our friendship. Down the road she apologized, but I just sort of moved on and our many chats on AIM never resumed. Lost touch with her totally. Unlike Tobias and Tru, at least she had SOME work hours into the English translation of it, as opposed to nothing to do with the project! I guess you can say that... Her defense was, "Hey, it IS my translation!!"

3) I randomly ran into a website once trying to sell Ys IV pre-patched CD-Rs for $30 bucks. It was hard to believe people would pay that much, but that was the price I would see there for a long time. I don't remember if I sent the ahole a nastygram, but I do remember seeing the sales ad. I don't respond to everything on the Internet somehow involving me, if I did I'd be a pretty busy man...

4) I guess this biggest backstab of them all with sheer criminality was Jeff Nussbaum (main Ys translator) and Thomas Lipschultz (Ys Typing Tutor translator and the Felghana manuals) after he was hired by an outfit called XSEED Games... I don't need to rehash all that here, I can just refer to this link...

So with all that over many years, why would I quit Emerald Dragon ? Sure, I mostly hate Ys F.A.N.s, I hate plenty of people involved in this stuff, but unfortunately, fan translating videogames is too much a part of me and I can't totally excise it out of my list of interests in life, no matter how hard I tried. I took a break from it for many years, I had to for offline reasons even if a well-known incident with the Felghana patch being leaked never happened, I still had to break from such work, but yeah, I don't mind picking up a project here and there again. It's something I still find myself enjoying to do. :/ I do find it hilarious though that Tobias wound up being yet another one of my f--king freeloaders in the 99% column! With him, you gotta open your wallet upfront, of course!

PCEngineHell

Whatever cut you think you'd get, you'd never get. Only Tobias is going to know how many copies he has sold, and he is never going to be honest about that, and odds are he wont stop selling these with trumped up "premium packaging" as long as they keep selling. Once a lying scamming piece of shit, always a lying scamming piece of shit. That being said, I doubt Nanto would appreciate whatever deal you would cut with Tobias being posted about and negotiated in his forum. So if you plan to make a deal with Tobias, probably best you just keep it to yourself.

SkyeWelse

Nightwolve, you and I have known each other for a long time and had it not been for your work on Xak III, I would likely never have gotten into the Xak series and built a website for it. If I hadn't built that site, there would be far less information out there on the series floating on the internet I think. Even the Wikipedia articles were touched up in a lot more detail by me and my passion for this series over the years. You know that I am a huge Falcom and Xak collector and I would love to see support for Xak III being pressed and made available as a nice display copy, so on a personal level I hope that such a possibility can present itself in the future for your releases, whether you end up with an agreement with Tobias or not.

In any case, whatever decision you make on this I will support. If you manage to work out a negotiation with Tobias, great, if you don't then I can post a message on the Xak series site at XyZ that states what Tobias is doing is being done without your permission if he continues to press and sell these.

I will say though that I'm rather surprised that he contacted both of us, and has at the very least offered some type of wish to find a solution that can benefit both parties. I do agree with the previous poster that you really would have no record or way to tell if he is filling more orders than what he claims. However, it would benefit him the most if he did agree to have an approved arrangement with you since then he would then be able to place orders for these free and clear and without the PCE scene boycotting his site. So in all honestly, I'd say the ball is really in your court on this because it only benefits him more to have your support, especially if what he is saying is true regarding this being the most desired game to have made into a set.

If it were me, and if I decided to do any type of business with their group, I would make an arrangement that orders go directly through yourself and Paul England, and then the customers who have requested copies are then sent to Tobias for him to run a batch print to fill a complete order of say 100 pieces each time. You could even tell him that you wish for him to discontinue these inferior version discs (or give them away for free) for the time being until you can release a final version of the patch. Of course that would be up to you and SamIAm who just mentioned to me that goes against his ideals for this hobby, so I'm not sure how that would all work out. But if you did end up working with him on these and reached an agreement, going through you and Paul England directly for order placement would be the way to go.

Back to what I was mentioning earlier about how the MSX community does things, say for new hardware peripherals, typically a thread is made by the developer where they ask a headcount of how many people want the device and members will drop in to say "I want this! Gimme one too!" and they fill a select number of slots for a batch to be sent off and made. This was done with the NoWind Disk Interface device, as well as the Korean-based 1-Chip MSX developed back in 2013 called the Zemmix Neo, and more recently with a guy that a friend and I placed an order with to have a batch of replacement MSX Turbo R Keyboard Membranes made. The orders and slots being filled were made public on a public forum community as well to show and keep track of the orders. And once those slots were filled, they are gone until another large batch list can be filled and sent off.

-Thomas

SephirothTNH

Well at least he replied to you I guess.  What I read from his response though is basically "I'm going to do this no matter what, but I'm willing to work something out to make you drop the issue." 

His middle ground is a buck a pop?  I realize that isn't officially negotiations being started yet but it seems like that is his unofficial opening offer.  On an item he is selling for 109 Euros he is offering you and your team "a buck a pop."  I wonder if he's going to go ahead and handle the exchange rate for you so it really is 1 USD. 

IMHO Repros should be sold at cost.  Maybe a small "profit" to cover time spent making them.  But these PCEworks sets cost a bit more than buying say 3 copies of Mysterious Song.  The difference is the Mysterious Song team deserves to make some profit. 

Just my 2 cents.

Emerald Rocker

QuoteSecond there's of course the monetization.

And let me assure you, I hear you on this. And I would certainly agree
to we should (morally) have contacted you beforehand. But as unethical
as it might sound, I have seen too many licensing negotiations and deals
gone wrong - eventually just endangering a project from the start.
What a jerk.  "Endangering a project from the start" -- so wrong, wrong, wrong.  He tries to talk like a professional -- which is a laugh, considering he's a bootlegger -- but any professional knows that you sort this stuff out at the beginning to avoid problems!  And if you can't sort it out, then you change plans!  This jerk is basically saying that he already knew he was going to sell the (illegal) games no matter what, so he couldn't be bothered with the formalities (i.e. contacting you).

QuoteUsually when you start paying people or agree on royalties, repros
end up being so expensive that only the elitists can afford them.
This Tobias goon is the elitist here, thinking he's so entitled that he can step on the backs of others to further his cause* without even the courtesy of an advance notification.  And isn't the whole concept of buying bootlegs with pretty packaging an "elitist" concept in the first place?  With his sob story about segregation and elitism, this dude acts like he's Robin Hood to the poor Xak-deprived masses... but Microcabin isn't the Sheriff of Nottingham, and Robin Hood sure as hell didn't stuff 5 shillings into a bag and then sell it for 49 shillings (citing the cost of the bag as reason for the markup).

I'll still consider you a righteous dude no matter how you respond to this goon, but yeah, as Professor said, best to keep anything sketchy off these forums.

* No matter how he dresses it up, we know that his cause is "making money" because of the pricing structure of his repros.  If the demand for Xak III is so high as he claims, you can bet he's planning to make more than 100 of these things.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

ParanoiaDragon

Sorry to derail, but, did I miss something?  Someone is giving NW grief for working on Emerald Dragon??

Back to Tobias, does he really think he's offering these games with little to no profit??  While I don't know the numbers, I can't rationalize that these cd games are costing that much!  If they were Huey's, then sure, the prices make more sense, but.....cd's??
IMG

NightWolve

PD, someone thought that I might be upset enough to quit the Emerald Dragon project because of this. As I explained in my long-winded response, I've dealt with much, much worse. So no, no need for anyone to worry I would quit the project over this, etc.

SkyeWelse

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 02/22/2015, 01:19 AMHis middle ground is a buck a pop?  I realize that isn't officially negotiations being started yet but it seems like that is his unofficial opening offer.  On an item he is selling for 109 Euros he is offering you and your team "a buck a pop."  I wonder if he's going to go ahead and handle the exchange rate for you so it really is 1 USD. 

IMHO Repros should be sold at cost.  Maybe a small "profit" to cover time spent making them.  But these PCEworks sets cost a bit more than buying say 3 copies of Mysterious Song.  The difference is the Mysterious Song team deserves to make some profit. 

Just my 2 cents.
I guess I didn't realize that he was asking for that amount of money. That's a lot and it doesn't seem right that it would cost that much to produce these disks and printed materials. Even if shipping is included, it still seems a bit high. I've ordered plenty of MSX (there's that word again) goodies from Europe in the states. Games, books, fdd drive belts, cartridge peripherals, soundtracks, from many different countries. Spain, Germany, Netherlands, France, England, and while it sure isn't what I would call "cheap", you would probably pay somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 Euros for the smallest of items, 10-12 Euros for a medium item, and probably up to $25 Euros maximum for something fairly bulky or heavy (Up to 5 pounds or so) shipped to the U.S.

-Thomas

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: quoth09 on 02/20/2015, 07:35 PMI haven't posted here in a long time, and it's mainly due to the mentality that most of you people have over here, including the mentality that what this worthless fuck is doing, is ok in any regard. It's not. A lot of stuff you people do over here is NOT ok with me, or others, and no one speaks up. I barely visit any gaming forum for anything anymore because I want damn near nothing to do with half the things going on in the gaming community as a whole, especially another forum that I won't bother speaking the name of here. Your behavior makes me want to sell all my games, but that's just a side note to what is going on here. Everyone always talks about preservation and collecting, but in reality all most of you care about is money and your ego, Tobias included. I think the whole Sapphire stunt and the letter should have been a clue about that a long time ago and he should have been shunned after, but most of you through it was great. -barf-
lol, what?

Most of the people here are *pissed* about this.   You should really figure out how blanket statements work, because you've fucked it up completely.

QuoteFunny how all of you are bitching now that he put out translated discs without permission, but you had no qualms about him ripping off Toei with Godzilla (including the music stolen/pirated), or any of the other games that he re-issued under his crappy label.
Says who?

QuoteAlso, all you people saying, he should put a new title or maybe put something:
Quote from: SamIAm on 02/20/2015, 07:21 PMbefore the title screen, for a couple of seconds, like an FBI warning in movies.
Learn the difference between translations and coding, and come back to that thought.
You realize, coding is required for these translations to happen, right?  The two go hand in hand. 

So, maybe you should learn how a translation project for a game works before you start rubbing your dicktip while you get off to being condescending.

anyway, like ProfProf said, the reason chucklefuck keeps doing this is because other chucklefucks keep giving him money and supporting it.

Most of the retards who support that are not here.  Some of you are.   If you're reading this and you've bought from him, pat yourself on the back.  You're a retard.

There's tons of retards on Facebook too.    Bunch of tryhard wannabes that piss their panties and press the report button and cry off into the sunset whenever you try explaining how stupid they are.

Facebook's easy-access retrogaming bullshit is helping to perpetuate this stupidity.   THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE OF US ON THERE CALLING PEOPLE OUT.

Also:  Fuck the Neo Geo forums.

I also didn't realize until this thread that Fudoh, the scanline guy, is the same idiot behind all of this.   What a cunt.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

eldritch

I hope his dog still likes this Tobias guy, although it's unlikely.

SuperDeadite

So he claims to make no money off this, and yet charges very different prices depending on the title.  Does not compute.

Personally I think NightW should give him the finger.  Don't let this fuck buy you off.  Also Paul England is very easy to find.  Send me a PM if you need help.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

NecroPhile

As a member of this forum, I love Tobias and everything he does.  It the law.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ToyMachine78

I don't understand why translators don't press and sell their work themselves. With scaled down packaging you could easily undercut him in price and put him out of business. Especially considering there is a currency conversion and overseas shipping. Create a translators guild and unite against him.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 03:17 PMI don't understand why translators don't press and sell their work themselves. With scaled down packaging you could easily undercut him in price and put him out of business. Especially considering there is a currency conversion and overseas shipping. Create a translators guild and unite against him.
probably because it's actually illegal and this guy's just being a knob gobbler.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

synbiosfan

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 03:20 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 03:17 PMI don't understand why translators don't press and sell their work themselves. With scaled down packaging you could easily undercut him in price and put him out of business. Especially considering there is a currency conversion and overseas shipping. Create a translators guild and unite against him.
probably because it's actually illegal and this guy's just being a knob gobbler.
The translators would need the ip owners permission for it to be legal too..

ToyMachine78

But how many companies do you think really care about these old games? Especially if the IP is no longer being used. Half of these companies are defunct. The worst case scenario these days is you will receive a Cease and Desist.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 03:24 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/23/2015, 03:20 PM
But how many companies do you think really care about these old games? Especially if the IP is no longer being used. Half of these companies are defunct. The worst case scenario these days is you will receive a Cease and Desist.
Until they realize you sold 1000 copies and made a bit of money, and send a law suit up your ass, dry.  lol

and then they repackage it and put it on the virtual console or something and you cry yourself to sleep.

aw yeah.

ToyMachine78

Medic_wheat

Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/23/2015, 03:22 PM
Then how is his guy pressing and selling these fan translates games? Did he go out and get permission from the IP holders?

synbiosfan

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/23/2015, 03:49 PM
Then how is his guy pressing and selling these fan translates games? Did he go out and get permission from the IP holders?
He's dumb enough to risk it.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: synbiosfan on 02/23/2015, 03:52 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/23/2015, 03:49 PM
He's dumb enough to risk it.
Ok that was my thinking.

Second thought.

Apart from making the general public aware of using fan translated work to make money without prior notice or request for April to use their work.

Why not just alert whom ever still owns the IP of these games of what he is doing to shut it down?

Kind of iceberg meets titanic situation. Sure everyone loses but it keeps the fan work kept from wing abiused which seems to be the main issue that NW has with his work on this and any other project?

Side note. Never heard of this guy by do remember some people posting here that thing called PCE memories with copies of Fasut Armor Godzilla and one or two other super CD games.

420GOAT

I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

elmer

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/23/2015, 03:59 PMWhy not just alert whom ever still owns the IP of these games of what he is doing to shut it down?
Depending upon the size of the original IP holder ...
  • is the legal dept on-staff or external?
  • how busy are they?
  • how far up the management chain does a decision on how to respond go?
  • how many meetings and man hours is it going to take to get that decision?
... then it will cost them hundreds (rare) to many thousands (more likely) of dollars to respond.

That's what bootleggers and small-scale-thieves count on ... it's often easier for companies to ignore (and pretend that they have never heard of) the issue than confront it.

If the issue gets enough public visibility, then they'll have to respond in order to protect their IP ... but if not, then they can ignore it.

That's probably why Tobias actually started to talk to NightWolve, it calms things down a bit and probably stops it from getting the escalating publicity of a good fight, that would inevitably lead to the IP owners having to respond.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 02/23/2015, 03:59 PMWhy not just alert whom ever still owns the IP of these games of what he is doing to shut it down?
Like elmer said, they most likely won't give a fuck.  If they do, where does it end?  If they shut down Tobias, don't be surprised if they went after everyone else, like those making repro manuals, hosting scans of manuals/magazines/etc., hosting pre-patched isos, or even those that made the patches themselves.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: elmer on 02/23/2015, 05:00 PM
Depending upon the size of the original IP holder ...
  • is the legal dept on-staff or external?
  • how busy are they?
  • how far up the management chain does a decision on how to respond go?
  • how many meetings and man hours is it going to take to get that decision?
Sometimes, the reality is that no one knows who actually owns the IP. That, in and of itself, becomes problematic. Xak III was developed and published by Microcabin and NEC. It isn't always clear which retained intellectual property rights. Hell, they may not even know if they own it.

Assuming it was NEC, they got out of the video game business 20+ years ago. They would have zero financial interest to pursue anyone violating a copyright on game software they hold. You could end up emailing everyone from the CEO to their legal department to their janitorial staff, and not find a party even interested enough to send a basic C&D.

If it was Microcabin... the situation is even more messy. They were bought by AQ interactive, and then AQ sold 85% of their stake of Microcabin to "Fields Corporation."  Who owns the actual IP at that point? And once again, would you find anyone at the company even remotely interested in protecting IP that is from a defunct subsidiary? Maybe.

Victor Ireland talked at length about the difficulties in bringing over and securing IP in an old Retronauts podcast:

http://n4g.com/news/986536/1up-retronauts-podcast-victor-ireland-talks-about-the-rise-and-fall-of-working-designs

Unfortunately, thanks to the destruction of 1up, that link won't take you to the actual podcast. However, its a great episode, and worth a listen. He had a helluva time trying to figure out who owned IP, and that was for a legitimate purpose, his day job. Trying to track down a defunct IP owner to cause hell over a small repro run is going to be more difficult.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 05:18 PM
Like elmer said, they most likely won't give a fuck.  If they do, where does it end?  If they shut down Tobias, don't be surprised if they went after everyone else, like those making repro manuals, hosting scans of manuals/magazines/etc., hosting pre-patched isos, or even those that made the patches themselves.
Exactly. Most likely they don't give a fuck. If they do and you report it, you bring unwanted attention to everyone. That's why the original translators should do this, undercut his ass or stfu.

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

cjameslv

Quotestfu troll
Your respect meter has just went up! About time you grew some balls and picked a side and said something that didn't require your nose being shoved directly into their ass.  :dance: If i was there with you i would be there with a hug  :oops:

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 06:08 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 02/23/2015, 06:07 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 03:29 PMI dunno. I'm just tired of hearing about this shit.
Click a different thread?
Troll
You're the one complaining about being "tired of hearing" about a topic that you obviously voluntarily entered this thread to read about, yet I'm the troll.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

ToyMachine78

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 02/23/2015, 07:29 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 06:08 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 02/23/2015, 06:07 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/23/2015, 03:29 PMI dunno. I'm just tired of hearing about this shit.
Click a different thread?
Troll
You're the one complaining about being "tired of hearing" about a topic that you obviously voluntarily entered this thread to read about, yet I'm the troll.
Dude its sarcasm. Relax. This isn't the first time this bitch fest has raised its head.

Bernie

Sarumaru

PCEngineHell

Y'all stop fighting and praise the goddamned sun already.