@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 03/30/2015, 12:28 AMI should actually amend that last post...

I've been making a few runs a day on The Addams Family, and am actually... surprised! It's a pretty damn good game, and the maze of doors and keys/bosses you have to defeat aren't simple. Once you get the pattern down and umbrella power-up... well it gets easier... but there still is the factor of the mechanics. You can fall in a pit, be eaten by a shark, Or literally be skull-fucked by spiders, bats, and skeletons on a seemingly random basis. Sometime's you're lucky, and sometimes not.

There still is some chaos with this game though. Weird load times happen when you're in the Vault, which can kill you in the room with the spike pit and it's easy to run out of a room without getting the power-up - I did this with the Werewolf potion by accident, and did it again with the heart before fencing Gomez just to double-check that the powerups were one-shots.

I went into this game pessimistic and really ended up loving it! Call me crazy, but this was a great freaking game.

...I also like Deep Blue so you don't have to listen to my opinion.
Goddamn! Maybe I'll play this damn game. I bought it, packed it prior to moving, and have yet to find it. But I know I have it somewhere.

I moved 9 years ago, by the way.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: TurboGrafx on 03/30/2015, 06:25 AMWas thinking on starting Order of the Griffon. How long and good is the game? I have tried it before, but never played through the whole game.
It's not perfect, but it's well worth playing through.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

LostFlunky

Played a bunch of Ys I & II last night using the debug code Mednafen posted:

Quote from: Mednafen on 03/30/2015, 03:35 AMI don't want to create a new topic for this because I'm not sure if it's already known, but the debug password for the USA version of "Ys Book I&II" is:

AAllffaaSSyySStteemm##

aaand a few other codes that do...something?

HASEGAWA

1WASAK1

PukeSter

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 03/25/2015, 01:15 AMI finished Neutopia.

Five word review: Not as good as Zelda.
Having beaten this recently, I think the biggest flaw with this game is that you only get half health back when you die. Considering how difficult the dungeons and some of the bosses are, this isn't a good thing.

Also the game makes you waste too many bombs. There's a "secret" room in almost every room, and half of them are pointless!

And not every password lady will heal you. :(

I feel the core game was very solid, but these issues severely affected the difficulty. Hopefully the sequel is better.

NecroPhile

Quote from: PukeSter on 04/01/2015, 03:12 AMAnd not every password lady will heal you. :(
I think they do if you reset and load the save file.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

escarioth

Quote from: NightWolve on 03/25/2015, 01:18 AM1. Use TurboRip to rip an ISO/WAV/CUE image file set.
2. Apply both text & dub patches.
3. Burn with ImgBurn at slowest speed - free and powerful.

If that fails, PM me for a link to a fully prepatched ISO/WAV/CUE zipped archive. No reason you should not get to enjoy this fully in English.
if you dont mind, i will also try this :)
US Hucards     :  86/94 (1 repro)
US CD-games  : 40/44 (3 repros)
total complete with boxes 54/111

richc

Quote from: guest on 04/01/2015, 10:12 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/01/2015, 03:12 AMAnd not every password lady will heal you. :(
I think they do if you reset and load the save file.
This is true.  I finished my play though of Neutopia 1 and I would soft reset to get my health reset.  I like the game better than the original Zelda for the presentation and the variety of music.  Plus the bosses are pretty large and imposing.  What I don't like is the hitbox and hit detection- the enemies can easily swarm you.

MNKyDeth

I grabbed pce.emu on my phone. Order of the Griffin is actually a great game for a phone. So yes, currently playing this game currently.

Mostly in bed for about 15-30min at a time till I fall asleep.

grendelrt

I started playing Cratermaze and Aero Blasters, both are pretty fun. I had to stop cratermaze to go out around lvl 14 , prob put in a password to continue where I left off.

GoldenWheels

Finally got around to trying Tiger Road....I was a little drunk and a lot tired, and I used all my continues just beating the level one boss (yeah I know, I'm blaming the wine) and then crapped the bed in level 2, but I'll def go back to it. Nice graphics and gameplay so far.

The crappy little short sword weapon/whatever sucks though.

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 04/09/2015, 10:12 AMFinally got around to trying Tiger Road....I was a little drunk and a lot tired, and I used all my continues just beating the level one boss (yeah I know, I'm blaming the wine) and then crapped the bed in level 2, but I'll def go back to it. Nice graphics and gameplay so far.

This is actually a pretty challenging game. :)

GoldenWheels

Quote from: esteban on 04/09/2015, 04:56 PM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 04/09/2015, 10:12 AMFinally got around to trying Tiger Road....I was a little drunk and a lot tired, and I used all my continues just beating the level one boss (yeah I know, I'm blaming the wine) and then crapped the bed in level 2, but I'll def go back to it. Nice graphics and gameplay so far.

I recall seeing the Turbo Views review and being like "man I don't know if I'll even pick this one up".  It definitely looked hard. I saw it for 20$ or so though and couldn't resist.

Hard or not, there's still no explaining away me wasting my continues on that first boss though esteban, I appreciate you trying. I think the "incredibly simple pattern recognition" part of my brain was asleep.  #-o

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 04/11/2015, 11:49 AM
Quote from: esteban on 04/09/2015, 04:56 PM

I recall seeing the Turbo Views review and being like "man I don't know if I'll even pick this one up".  It definitely looked hard. I saw it for 20$ or so though and couldn't resist.

Hard or not, there's still no explaining away me wasting my continues on that first boss though esteban, I appreciate you trying. I think the "incredibly simple pattern recognition" part of my brain was asleep.  #-o
No, I don't make it too far in this game before I start feeling like a fool.

This, actually, is part of Tiger Road's appeal for me. I don't wan't this game to beat me, and I think I can actually get further. I have hope.

Unlike Turrican, where I just gave up and said, "You have crushed me and my pathetic strategy." I was hopeless in Turrican.

in99flames

Im playing exile at the moment! A classic in my eyes :-)
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

VenomMacbeth

Jeez there's a lot of talk of Exile, lately...

I hope everyone doesn't go driving the price up before I can get me a sealed copy... >.<
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

wilykat

Sealed??  What for? Buy a loose one to play!  :mrgreen: Leave the sealed copy alone for crazy reseller who thinks it's worth $2,000 more. (number pulled out of my ass)

MNKyDeth

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 04/11/2015, 05:34 PMJeez there's a lot of talk of Exile, lately...

I hope everyone doesn't go driving the price up before I can get me a sealed copy... >.<
I mean for how old the TG-16 games are. Are people not worried that "New Sealed" are fakes? I really do find it extremely hard to believe there are so many never opened games out there.

I personally would have to open a sealed box to make sure it was actually legit therefore ruining any chance of having a sealed version. The best I personally would hope for are working HuCards in various conditions and very lightly scratched cd's to no scratches.
Heavily scratched ones I would avoid as I would want the game to still work.

But anyways, Tatsujin is still kicking my arse but I am determined to get better at it.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: esteban on 04/11/2015, 01:14 PMNo, I don't make it too far in this game before I start feeling like a fool.

This, actually, is part of Tiger Road's appeal for me. I don't wan't this game to beat me, and I think I can actually get further. I have hope.

Unlike Turrican, where I just gave up and said, "You have crushed me and my pathetic strategy." I was hopeless in Turrican.
Well got to I believe level three of Tiger Road last night (yeah!)....found myself at a waterfall stage with no apparent exit. 1up in the upper left corner, 1up in the lower right corner, bottomless "waterfall" floor. I couldn't find my way out of the damn level. No door, nothing. It's really bothering me.

Oh no, Tiger Road has it's hooks in me!  :o

esteban

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 04/12/2015, 12:26 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/11/2015, 01:14 PMNo, I don't make it too far in this game before I start feeling like a fool.

Well got to I believe level three of Tiger Road last night (yeah!)....found myself at a waterfall stage with no apparent exit. 1up in the upper left corner, 1up in the lower right corner, bottomless "waterfall" floor. I couldn't find my way out of the damn level. No door, nothing. It's really bothering me.

Oh no, Tiger Road has it's hooks in me!  :o
Exactly! :)

It's a game that is rarely discussed here, but if folks give it a chance, I think they would appreciate it a bit more.

It's not an amazing game, but it certainly has provided more than I initially gave it credit for.

LostFlunky

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 04/12/2015, 06:03 AM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 04/11/2015, 05:34 PMJeez there's a lot of talk of Exile, lately...

I mean for how old the TG-16 games are. Are people not worried that "New Sealed" are fakes? I really do find it extremely hard to believe there are so many never opened games out there.

I personally would have to open a sealed box to make sure it was actually legit therefore ruining any chance of having a sealed version. The best I personally would hope for are working HuCards in various conditions and very lightly scratched cd's to no scratches.
Heavily scratched ones I would avoid as I would want the game to still work.

But anyways, Tatsujin is still kicking my arse but I am determined to get better at it.
The remaining sealed copies are a reflection of "actual" sales back in the day vs "expected" sales...   The stuff just never sold...

Seems to be true for Jaguar, Dreamcast, Hyperscan...

richc

I just now finished exile too.  There's a lot of heavy religious stuff to lay on for so old a game.  As far as buying it new, you used to be able to buy them from working designs site back in the day for about the same price.  There's a ton of copies out there.

seieienbu

If memory serves, Cosmic Fantasy and Exile were both available on Working Designs site for like $20 each. 

After playing it some years back, I thought comparing Exile to, say, Assassin's Creed is somewhat interesting.  The religious plot stuff was quite similar.  For a modern game it made perfect sense; however you really wouldn't have expected that sort of happening in a game that came out 20 years earlier.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

roflmao

I went on an OBEY binge today, thanks to the new-to-me 20" Sony WEGA TV I picked up a few days ago.

Beat Ninja Spirit.
Made it to the final form of the final boss in both Final Soldier and Blazing Lazers, but wasn't able to seal the deal.
Spent some quality time with: Star Parodier, Atlantean, Devil's Crush, Kyukyoku Tiger, and Buster Bros.

Currently watching Turbo-Views on DVD.

It's been a good day. :D

mitsuman

Play a handful of stuff last night, one being Side Arms. Why is that game so hard?  ](*,)

ddoubledee

Revisiting some of my favourite CD classics... Ys Book 1&2, Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes, Cosmic Fantasy 2...

For HuCard games, currently playing... Dungeon Explorer, Dragon's Curse, Bomberman '93...

ddoubledee

Lots of people playing Exile, eh? That's one game I've held in my hands many times in the rental store as a child, but never actually took home. I'll have to try it sometime. Heard good things about it.

esteban

Quote from: ddoubledee on 04/27/2015, 12:30 PMLots of people playing Exile, eh? That's one game I've held in my hands many times in the rental store as a child, but never actually took home. I'll have to try it sometime. Heard good things about it.
Exile is fun. You gotta check it out.

richc

Exile is boss.  You should def try it.  I'm finishing up YS 3 today.  Still my favorite of the original versions.  Snes has the best translations and a cool opening but the turbo version is still better.

esteban

Quote from: richc on 04/27/2015, 05:18 PMExile is boss.  You should def try it.  I'm finishing up YS 3 today.  Still my favorite of the original versions.  Snes has the best translations and a cool opening but the turbo version is still better.
DRAGONS & WIZARDS, OH MY!

IMG

ddoubledee

Yes. Ys III on the TurboCD is great, too. These versions of the games will always be the definitive versions of Ys for me.

grendelrt

Quote from: ddoubledee on 04/27/2015, 09:37 PMYes. Ys III on the TurboCD is great, too. These versions of the games will always be the definitive versions of Ys for me.
Ditto. No contest for me.

I played an import copy of Dungeon Explorer II for a while today. And then I played Air Zonk and Bonks Revenge. I got to the last stage on both and then died and didn't finish either lol.

seieienbu

Running through Popful Mail.  With some luck I'll finish it tomorrow.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

munchiaz

Played and beat CD Denjin last night. Fun, but a far cry from airzonk.  Also i played some gate of thunder, and got the farthest i have ever gotten before.

TR0N

Quote from: ddoubledee on 04/27/2015, 09:37 PMYes. Ys III on the TurboCD is great, too. These versions of the games will always be the definitive versions of Ys for me.
Dunno i consider the original Ys III as a ok game.I still consider it's remake Ys The Oath in Felghana the definite version of the game.

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

cr8zykuban0

got done playing boxyboy! such a fun puzzle game.

captain_n77

Been playing Legendary Axe II the past few days. Probably would have beaten it the other day, but I set the controller down when I beat the final boss FIRST FORM! He had smacked me a few times before I picked the controller back up and I wound up having him flashing red before he wiped me out. Gotta love the cheap platforming in the later stages. Really fun besides that stuff.
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe"

MotherGunner

Playing Columns.  Somehow it seemed more fun on the Game Gear?...
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

mitsuman

I keep bouncing between Lords of the Rising Sun and TV Sports Football. With the three day weekend coming up, I'm going to try and finish the campaign I am in on Lords of the Rising Sun. Just a couple more generals to kill, and I should be good to go.

roflmao

For the first time in nearly forever, I started playing Veigues Tactical Gladiator.  Holy moly, it's a lot more enjoyable than I remember! How many levels are there? I must have gone through at least 6 or 7 tonight without much difficulty. It looks and sounds great and isn't as funky to control as I remember. I may be on the lookout to add this one to my library if the money fairy makes an unexpected visit anytime soon. :)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 05/25/2015, 11:22 PMFor the first time in nearly forever, I started playing Veigues Tactical Gladiator.  Holy moly, it's a lot more enjoyable than I remember! How many levels are there? I must have gone through at least 6 or 7 tonight without much difficulty. It looks and sounds great and isn't as funky to control as I remember. I may be on the lookout to add this one to my library if the money fairy makes an unexpected visit anytime soon. :)
IMG

Warbucks

Psycho Punch

Quote from: guest on 05/25/2015, 11:22 PMFor the first time in nearly forever, I started playing Veigues Tactical Gladiator.  Holy moly, it's a lot more enjoyable than I remember! How many levels are there? I must have gone through at least 6 or 7 tonight without much difficulty. It looks and sounds great and isn't as funky to control as I remember. I may be on the lookout to add this one to my library if the money fairy makes an unexpected visit anytime soon. :)
Please do post your high score when you beat the game in my lonely Hi-Scores thread. I'm glad more people are discovering this game. If only the AVE Pad 3 had an option to use III as button I + II combined for the body cannon.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Groover

I picked up Blazing Lazers recently and Alien Crush and Dungeon Explorer. I want to get more CD games.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Groover on 05/26/2015, 11:34 PMI picked up Blazing Lazers recently and Alien Crush and Dungeon Explorer. I want to get more CD games.
Three of the best HuCARDs released in North America. :)

So much goodness, comrade.

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2015, 10:01 PM
Please do post your high score when you beat the game in my lonely Hi-Scores thread. I'm glad more people are discovering this game. If only the AVE Pad 3 had an option to use III as button I + II combined for the body cannon.
Will it surprise anyone that I strongly endorse the active playing of Veigues?

I used to write about the minimalist soundtrack (some tracks, especially the minibus/boss music, is very percussive and mechanical and complements the atmosphere and theme of the game)...I think it really works for the game.

roflmao

Quote from: Groover on 05/26/2015, 11:34 PMI picked up Blazing Lazers recently and Alien Crush and Dungeon Explorer. I want to get more CD games.
Those are some excellent games, Groover!

I actually beat BL earlier this evening!
/11162191_10153441465245719_6933443870440258257_n.jpg

So much fun.

martinine

I'm playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Bomberman 94. I pick up JB Harold last week and the guy at the game store I frequent threw in a loose Dungeon Explorer for free. I'm set for a while!
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

esteban

Quote from: martinine on 06/06/2015, 07:58 AMI'm playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Bomberman 94. I pick up JB Harold last week and the guy at the game store I frequent threw in a loose Dungeon Explorer for free. I'm set for a while!
Your free game will provide the best experience!

Ok, I am biased. But I'm correct. :)

JoshTurboTrollX

SuPriggan last night.  Really amazing game!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban