10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ginoscope

Digi,

Those gifs are amazing thanks for sharing them.  I really miss arcades in general.  Last week I took my kids to a dave and buster and they had a new Luigi's Mansion arcade and it felt like the 90s again and experiencing a new arcade game you never played before.

Digi.k

Digi.k

shubibiman

Wow ! Irem were pretty good at porting their own games !
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Digi.k

mr heli no daibouken

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG
arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

Mathius

This may piss off some fan boys of other consoles but I think the PCE's brighter colors suits the IREM ports quite nicely.

Digi.k

Genpei Toumaden

pce
IMG

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Digi.k

Quote from: awack on 04/04/2009, 09:42 PMParodius, the graphics in this game were not done as well as in other arcade ports such as chiki chiki boys, forgoten worlds and dynasty warriors on the pc engine.

pce                                               snes
IMG IMG
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/05/2009, 03:55 AMActually it is, look at the 4th set of pics.  Ug.
Oh going back to this old post!

the colors are not that great but personally I think it is a little more accurate than SNES version

SNES
IMG

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

Digi.k

Salamander

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG
arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

Digi.k

Fatal Fury / Garou Densetsu Special

arcade
IMG
IMG
arcade
IMG
pce
IMG
SEGA CD
IMG
arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

esteban

wildfruit

NightWolve

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/08/2016, 09:27 PMSalamander

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG
I was introduced to this Konami shooter as Lifeforce on the NES, and was quite pleased with the purchase! One of Konami's greats with lots of replay value, worth checking out!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Digi.k

Splatterhouse

pce
IMG
arcade
IMG

pce
IMG
arcade
IMG

pce
IMG
arcade
IMG

pce
IMG
arcade
IMG

esteban

Digi.k

World Heroes 2

pce
IMG
arcade
IMG

pce
IMG
arcade
IMG

pce
IMG
SNES
IMG

TheClash603

PCE looks comparable in every screen shot except the raft in Fatal Fury.  I love looking at these.

...don't stop?

NecroPhile

Great gifs, Digi.  Thanks for making and sharing 'em.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Digi.k

Lords of Thunder (Winds of Thunder)

pce
IMG
Sega
IMG

pce
IMG
Sega CD
IMG

pce
IMG
Sega CD
IMG

Digi.k

snatcher
pce
IMG
sega CD
IMG

pce
IMG
sega CD
IMG

pce
IMG
sega CD
IMG

Mathius

I keep forgetting WH had line scrolling. Mighty impressive port.

Mathius

Unless it's the gif processing the image differently but the Sega CD Snatcher seems to animate much more smoothly.

Digi.k

Quote from: Mathius on 05/11/2016, 11:21 PMUnless it's the gif processing the image differently but the Sega CD Snatcher seems to animate much more smoothly.
you are right, I just booted it up and the car taking off scene is not like that shown in the gif but on the pce that scene has like some kind of subtle shaking.

Digi.k

I swear all these gifs is killing my page loads!

Bloody Wolf
pce
IMG
arcade
IMG

pce
IMG
arcade
IMG

pce
IMG
arcade
IMG

CrackTiger

What gifs don't depict well enough, is that the Bloody Wolf arcade runs at half the framerate.

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/11/2016, 11:47 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 05/11/2016, 11:21 PMUnless it's the gif processing the image differently but the Sega CD Snatcher seems to animate much more smoothly.
you are right, I just booted it up and the car taking off scene is not like that shown in the gif but on the pce that scene has like some kind of subtle shaking.
Did you boot it up in an emulator? Those shaking sprite chunks are how emulators most often screw up PCE games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

shubibiman

Those are sweet ! I'm always stunned at how the PCE could handle faithful ports of arcade games that were released from 1987 (R-Type) to 1994 (World heroes 2). How many systems could do that ?

esteban

Quote from: shubibiman on 05/12/2016, 01:58 AMThose are sweet ! I'm always stunned at how the PCE could handle faithful ports of arcade games that were released from 1987 (R-Type) to 1994 (World heroes 2). How many systems could do that ?
Xbox1.5VR
PS4.5VR
Wii3VR

ToyMachine78

This thread revival has been great.

I'm pretty amazed at how well the PCE versions stand up to the arcade.

It makes you wonder why the PCE/TG was looked at as inferior to the Genesis and SNES.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 05/12/2016, 01:41 PMThis thread revival has been great.

I'm pretty amazed at how well the PCE versions stand up to the arcade.

It makes you wonder why the PCE/TG was looked at as inferior to the Genesis and SNES.
The media said so bitd and since then casual gamers just fire up random roms with non-Japanese sounding names in emulators.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Digi.k

Special Criminal Investigations

Arcade
IMG
PCE
IMG

Arcade
IMG
PCE
IMG

Arcade
IMG
PCE
IMG

Digi.k

Legend Of Hero Tomna

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

TheClash603

SCI looks much better in the arcade, but Tonma's almost photo realistic graphics just look odd in the arcade.

Digi.k

Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/13/2016, 08:24 AMSCI looks much better in the arcade, but Tonma's almost photo realistic graphics just look odd in the arcade.
I wonder why they changed the characters face and made it more plump.  Although I love it in the arcade Tomna looks a little ghoulish there.

RTYPE

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

shubibiman

The lack of parallax is very frustrating in some exemples : some ports could have been perfect and not only near perfect.

ccovell

The mountains showing in the distance to the right of the cliffside in PCE S.C.I. is a pretty clever effect.  =D>

EvilEvoIX

Why would this be a major difference?  Stronger Processor or just poorer optimization?
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Digi.k

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 05/15/2016, 02:58 PM
Why would this be a major difference?  Stronger Processor or just poorer optimization?
Quote from: guest on 05/12/2016, 12:16 AMWhat gifs don't depict well enough, is that the Bloody Wolf arcade runs at half the framerate.

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/11/2016, 11:47 PM
Did you boot it up in an emulator? Those shaking sprite chunks are how emulators most often screw up PCE games.
I'd say about 98% of these are from emulation and taken from youtuber vids..

Digi.k

Tatsujin

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

NightWolve

Mathius

NightWolve

Quote from: Mathius on 05/18/2016, 11:24 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 05/18/2016, 04:05 PMNow that's a shooter violent fuck in the ass!  :P
Well...that certainly paints a *much* different picture than what I had in mind, Matt, but s'all good!  :lol:

CrackTiger

I'd forgotten that Tatsujin does have a little bit of "real" parallax in the arcade version, but the Genesis version doesn't for some reason.

Mathius

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/18/2016, 11:43 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 05/18/2016, 11:24 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 05/18/2016, 04:05 PMNow that's a shooter violent fuck in the ass!  :P
Well...that certainly paints a *much* different picture than what I had in mind, Matt, but s'all good!  :lol:
I'm lucky to get passed the first level boss in that version haha

Quote from: guest on 05/19/2016, 12:18 AMI'd forgotten that Tatsujin does have a little bit of "real" parallax in the arcade version, but the Genesis version doesn't for some reason.
The one thing I did give the PCE version props for, other than the best rendition of those tunes in any version, is they kept the little planets dotting the star field in places. I love little details like that. It always confused me as to why the MD version didn't have them. Probably a deadline issue.

Digi.k

Beraboh Man /Bravoman

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

CrackTiger

The clouds in the sky scroll at different speeds, adding a greater illusion of depth in the PCE version.

The underwater scene has more "scrolls" in the PCE version, for what it's worth.

Still weird how they went with such different colors, as though they were too used to working on Famicom games or something.

shubibiman

I've always thought Namcot were lazy when it came to porting their own game to the PCE. And yeah, it often looks like they considered the PCE as just a powered-up Famicom. They could have done so much better. When you see how Irem managed to port their games, it's a completely different story.

Digi.k

Raiden arcade vs hucard

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade
IMG
pce
IMG

arcade