OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

Quote from: ccovell on 07/02/2016, 06:59 PMJoe, please define fuzzy, buzzy, and proper, by your reckoning.  Both the NES and SMS have 2 square wave channels which can sound identical.
That's the best way I can describe NES and PCE sound. I haven't heard much from the NES that sounds like an SMS and certainly nothing from the SMS that sounds like the NES. Usually the NES sounds warmer with a more textured sound. There's not much to that texture, but it's just what I'd describe as fuzzy/buzzy instead of boopy and beepy.

ccovell

OK, I'd call the SMS shrill, because it doesn't have a bassy triangle channel like the NES, and can't go into low octaves.

Joe Redifer

The word "shrill" to me means unpleasantly piercing, with the emphasis on "unpleasant". I don't find the SMS sound unpleasant. Well, unless it's something like The Flash.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/03/2016, 03:30 AMThe word "shrill" to me means unpleasantly piercing, with the emphasis on "unpleasant".
That's a good description of how most chip sound arpeggio feels to me.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

I had a nice post and lost it. I hate my life.

Good deeds are not rewarded.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

When you lose something it always turns up in the last place you look for some weird reason. So maybe try looking in the last place first.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/03/2016, 02:44 PMWhen you lose something it always turns up in the last place you look for some weird reason. So maybe try looking in the last place first.
I think my draft was saved, but in replying to your post, I fucked-up and deleted it.

So, you actually were correct, and I am doubly a fucktard.

I fucking hate my life.

Psycho Punch

I went to look for the keys to my house inside an antarctic research station and now I'm stuck in this stupid place without fuel for my snowmobile. Thanks Joe.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/03/2016, 02:44 PMWhen you lose something it always turns up in the last place you look for some weird reason. So maybe try looking in the last place first.
I had a girlfriend who was always misplacing things and would always yell across the house or phone to ask me where something might be. Even though my answer was always the same and I was always right: under her butt. Each time she would begin to complain while discreetly looking anyway and when she found it her response was always the same: "fuck you".
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

wildfruit

Go arpeggio crazy with an Amiga.

ccovell

Quote from: wildfruit on 07/03/2016, 04:01 PMGo arpeggio crazy with an Amiga.
No need for arpeggios: you can sample chords.

TurboXray

Arpeggios are for uncultured European swine! LOL

esteban

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/04/2016, 12:11 AMArpeggios are for uncultured European swine! LOL
:)

ccovell

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/04/2016, 12:11 AMArpeggios are for uncultured European swine! LOL
I'm sorry to say it, but regarding retro consoles with PSG-type sound chips, (North-)Americans of that era can't speak from any position of superiority.  LOLOLOL

seieienbu

Chip arpeggios for life.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Psycho Punch

Euro chiptunes > US chiptunes. A regra é clara.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

TurboXray

Oh, I'm in no way defending any of the US chiptunes. JP chiptunes all the way.

TurboXray

Quote from: seieienbu on 07/04/2016, 04:33 AMChip arpeggios for life.
That's not what we're referring to when we say arpeggios. Euro Arps: not enough channels to make real chords, so play whatever chord composition as single notes super-super-super fast and hope no one knows the difference ;>_>
This:
or more clearly this:
(at the end of the video).

Joe Redifer

There are no arps in that chip tune. Also it has been turned into stereo. I dislike it when people do that to NES stuffs.

EDIT: Tom beat me to it.

CrackTiger

Quote from: TurboXray on 07/04/2016, 12:38 PM
That's not what we're referring to when we say arpeggios. Euro Arps: not enough channels to make real chords, so play whatever chord composition as single notes super-super-super fast and hope no one knows the difference ;>_>
This:
or more clearly this:
(at the end of the video).
What's the difference between that last one and the arp-sounding parts of the Somer Assault soundtrack?

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 07/05/2016, 11:49 AMWhat's the difference between that last one and the arp-sounding parts of the Somer Assault soundtrack?
If you mean the effects in Songs #11 and 12 (ending), I don't know the proper term for it, but it's rapidly cutting the volume of the sound channel really quickly.  One might call it a trill or hard tremolo, but probably not arpeggio...

IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: ccovell on 07/05/2016, 08:27 PMOne might call it a trill or hard tremolo, but probably not arpeggio...
Sounds about right.

TR0N

Now what's this about mark from cgr being on the next game sack bluray !?
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TR0N on 07/06/2016, 07:13 PMNow what's this about mark from cgr being on the next game sack bluray !?
Clearly Metal Jesus, Alpha Omega, Game Grumps, Pat, Ian, Frank, retro liberty, game chasers, pet dore, happy video game nerd, happy console gamer, my life in gaming, phonedork, and all the rest couldn't make it for the bluray.

So it was Mark or Nulley.

Thank goodness Mark was available.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/06/2016, 09:01 PMClearly Metal Jesus, Alpha Omega, Game Grumps, Pat, Ian, Frank, retro liberty, game chasers, pet dore, happy video game nerd, happy console gamer, my life in gaming, phonedork, and all the rest couldn't make it for the bluray.

So it was Mark or Nulley.

Thank goodness Mark was available.
Nope. Mark was my first choice. I had two other choices, none of which are on that list.

Enternal

From episode 134 if anyone was looking for a copy

Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232004798930

Also in addition to the game above I grabbed these two recommendations

IMG

Daytona was 3 at a flea market, I just had the regular one

Astro Boy was 35. I played through it in two sessions, wonderful game.

wildfruit

ClodBusted

Wow. What? Dixie Kong's Double Dong?

TR0N

For any one that that wants to watch it on here instead.
When i bought one again i instead went with a sfc i just prefer it's design more over to a snes.
IMG

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2016, 06:32 AMWow. What? Dixie Kong's Double Dong?
haha I thought I was just hearing things.. There were a few script errors in this episode, seemed a little sloppy but when you have a long video like this some things will sneak through I guess

NightWolve

Quote from: TR0N on 07/10/2016, 05:28 PMFor any one that that wants to watch it on here instead.
When i bought one again i instead went with a sfc i just prefer it's design more over to a snes.
Ah man, that's why I love Joe. He used his monster truck announcer voice talents to do a boxing/wrestling ring announcer voice while enacting a mock Nintendo console battle of the ages (for the end bonus)! :lol:

TR0N

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/10/2016, 09:28 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 07/10/2016, 05:28 PMFor any one that that wants to watch it on here instead.
Ah man, that's why I love Joe. He used his monster truck announcer voice talents to do a boxing/wrestling ring announcer voice while enacting a mock Nintendo console battle of the ages (for the end bonus)! :lol:
Heh he did tell it like a wrestling match poor snes it got piled driver by the sfc  :lol:
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2016, 05:59 PM
haha I thought I was just hearing things.. There were a few script errors in this episode, seemed a little sloppy but when you have a long video like this some things will sneak through I guess
That wasn't a script error that was intentional.

Sarumaru

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/11/2016, 05:02 PM
Me and a couple friends were watching this, we lol'd @Dixie Kong's Double Dong. From now on, that title will have no other name.

TR0N

Quote from: Sarumaru on 07/11/2016, 05:29 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/11/2016, 05:02 PM
Me and a couple friends were watching this, we lol'd @Dixie Kong's Double Dong. From now on, that title will have no other name.
Now say that five times fast  :wink: :lol:
IMG

ccovell

Well, the 2nd game, "Diddy's Kong Quest" has a similarly suggestive ring to it, when you think about who his sidekick is...

ClodBusted

From what I know from old Club Nintendo magazines, Diddy's Kong Quest was originally meant to be named either Diddy Kong's Quest or Diddy's Conquest. They even provided beta screenshots of the title screen.

By the way, Joe and Dave, you're pretty good at making a 40 minute show entertaining for the whole runtime. Who else can do that? I don't know! If I watch a lengthy EEVBlog video, I usually doze off after 20 minutes, just as I do when playing Animal Crossing for more than 1 hour.

majors

Obviously Joe and Dave are practicing for a new updated Obey special. No one cares if they screw up with Nintendo trash.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

esteban

Quote from: majors on 07/12/2016, 11:54 AMObviously Joe and Dave are practicing for a new updated Obey special. No one cares if they screw up with Nintendo trash.
EXACTLY!!

:)

TR0N

IMG

sirhcman

Battletoads "overrated"?! BLASPHEMY!!! UNSUBBED!

DeshDildo

Another awesome video Joe, this is my favorite topic you guys talk about.  I can't believe someone actually talked about World Driver Championship on N64.  It is the definitive racing game on the console in my opinion.  Dave may have had a hard time with the controls but most fans of sim racers will feel right at home.  The point of the crappy handling characteristics on the early cars is the fact that they are indeed crappier cars.  The cars you earn do start handling better but, they also go faster so your braking points on most tracks are still largely similar.  While it doesn't have near the depth of Gran Turismo 1 or 2, it is still one of my favorites of the day.  Thank you for mentioning it!
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

ClodBusted

Great episode as always. Placing WDC after F-Zero is a bit funny, since it makes the game look daaaaamn slow in comparison. Still, I appreciate the effort in picking out an N64 game for this episode, especially since it is one that might have gone under the radar due to being released late in the console's lifespan.

TR0N

Lately there lp for final bosses are being put on there yt channel.
IMG

TR0N

IMG

munchiaz

Quote from: TR0N on 08/07/2016, 02:11 AM
Awesome episode. When i was a child I really didn't get anything a launch day, but either a few months, later. I think the first console i got on my own at launch was the Wii. Camped out at target for about 10 hours to get it.

TR0N

Quote from: munchiaz on 08/08/2016, 12:49 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 08/07/2016, 02:11 AM
Awesome episode. When i was a child I really didn't get anything a launch day, but either a few months, later. I think the first console i got on my own at launch was the Wii. Camped out at target for about 10 hours to get it.
The only console i ever bought at launch was the dreamcast.With the modern ones i find it better to just wait a year or so instead.
IMG

majors

Even with all of Joe's editing magic and skill, he can't make 5th gen poly's look good nowdays...ouch.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Gypsy

Of all the consoles I got close to launch...I got...a......*drumroll*.....Vita....

Typically I'm a cheapass too so I don't know what came over me at the time. In comparison I waited around 3 years each for 360 and PS3. Got used bundles on both and the consoles didn't end up costing much at all. Still don't have an XBone or PS4.

TDIRunner

Quote from: majors on 08/09/2016, 08:02 AMEven with all of Joe's editing magic and skill, he can't make 5th gen poly's look good nowdays...ouch.
5th gen graphics have certainly aged worse than just about any generation since gen 2. 

Great gameplay is the only thing that saves games from that era.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."