10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

I am pretty surprised you guys did a second N64 episode. You guys must really love that system to do two episodes on a single console.

khyron65

Quote from: crazydean on 10/17/2016, 01:10 PMI am pretty surprised you guys did a second N64 episode. You guys must really love that system to do two episodes on a single console.
This is Game Sacks first ever 4k youtube vid. Clearly they needed to re visit the N64 so we can clearly see all of its hi res graphical splendor!

technozombie

Has there ever been an isometric game episode? I've been playing Light Crusader and the genre is on my mind.

EvilEvoIX

N64 has always been a mixed bag of grafx for me.  Some games just look great and some like ass.  Must be the way they stretchered textures on some games.  Wasn't there a fatal flaw on the system related to textures?
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

elmer

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/18/2016, 09:02 PMWasn't there a fatal flaw on the system related to textures?
4KB texture memory ... i.e. approx 64x64 pixels (really, less), and a relatively-long latency when changing the contents of texture memory.

Thus, the use as-far-as-possible, of simple repeating textures, or single-color Gouraud-shaded polys.

Sorry ... that's the simplest way that I can explain it (I suspect that Nintendo can't be bothered to enforce my NDA anymore).

Joe Redifer

Why would you have an NDA with Nintendo? That is most interesting.

elmer

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/19/2016, 12:14 AMWhy would you have an NDA with Nintendo? That is most interesting.
Errr ... I guess that you don't read a lot of the threads in the dev section here (where I normally post).

I was/am a "pro". I have active NDAs, with all of the console manufacturers, on most of the machines for the last 20+ years.

The PCE is actually one of the exceptions ... which works nicely, since it's also my personal-favorite machine.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/19/2016, 12:14 AMWhy would you have an NDA with Nintendo? That is most interesting.
Surely you have played SNES PAL game entitled "Only Fools and Horses"?

It was a hybrid Paperboy clone + flea market sim based on the BBC show.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: elmerI was/am a "pro".
What is a "pro"?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/19/2016, 08:28 PM
What is a "pro"?
Professional game programmer.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

crazydean

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/19/2016, 08:28 PM
What is a "pro"?
Possibly really orgasmic.

CGQuarterly

Penetrate rear orifice.

ClodBusted

Prostitute. That's the reason for the NDA.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 10/19/2016, 08:36 PMProfessional game programmer.
What I actually meant ...

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2016, 06:26 AMProstitute. That's the reason for the NDA.
... and exactly what it feels like to be whoring for development contracts from clueless idiots that believe that everyone should be willing to do unlimited and unpaid overtime for almost-all of a project just because the publisher wouldn't start it early enough.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ClodBusted

Nice to see you covering Top Gear! *thumbs up*

Gypsy

Ghen War is such trash.

No mention of Art of Fighting Anthology during the AoF 2 segment? That was quite cheap last I knew and not terrible.

Nice mention on Black. Most should be able to pick that up for a few bucks at a pawn shop.

Roller skating game looks totally raaaad.

Fun video.

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Bloufo

NO KUDOS 4 JOO!!

ClodBusted

So this is episode number 181 already? Amazing! Kudos to you, Joe and Dave!

To be honest, I had a hard time with Radiant Silvergun on the Xbox 360. I'll give it another try using the sword trick you guys taught us. I had no idea there was more to the sword than the obvious swinging.

Gypsy

Heh I was getting on to post it here, but I see I gotta be quicker than that.  :-k

Watched it. Pretty good episode. Covers some damn fine games too. I have similar views on racing games actually, and the spine card comment made me laugh.

Medic_wheat

Sure it's been posted already.

Limbo did get a physical release.

PC

IMG

REALLY CHEAP

IMG

This is the copy I have. I didn't even know about the PC release until just now.

TDIRunner

Great video as usual, although I felt this would have been a great opportunity to talk about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.  I know that you've talked about SOTC in a previous episode, but it was minimal enough to warrant another episode, and as far as I know, you've never talked about Ico.  I would love to hear your thoughts on that game some day. 

Also, I never bothered with Project Gotham Racing, but this video makes me want to give it a try.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

TDIRunner

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 11/13/2016, 10:26 AMLimbo did get a physical release.
I was a little surprised at the way Dave worded that in the video, because I know that both Joe and Dave know about the physical release of Limbo, because it came up in one of their previous episodes.  They did an episode about games that SHOULD have received physical releases.  Limbo was included in that video, and the later corrected that when they realized that it got a physical release.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TDIRunner on 11/15/2016, 11:06 AMGreat video as usual, although I felt this would have been a great opportunity to talk about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.  I know that you've talked about SOTC in a previous episode, but it was minimal enough to warrant another episode, and as far as I know, you've never talked about Ico.  I would love to hear your thoughts on that game some day. 

Also, I never bothered with Project Gotham Racing, but this video makes me want to give it a try.
Maybe they want tot ask about the games as a trilogy?  Seeing how the last guardian is finally beignets released.

TDIRunner

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 11/15/2016, 11:23 AM
Quote from: TDIRunner on 11/15/2016, 11:06 AMGreat video as usual, although I felt this would have been a great opportunity to talk about Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.  I know that you've talked about SOTC in a previous episode, but it was minimal enough to warrant another episode, and as far as I know, you've never talked about Ico.  I would love to hear your thoughts on that game some day. 

Maybe they want tot ask about the games as a trilogy?  Seeing how the last guardian is finally beignets released.
I could see that. 

And I wouldn't mind waiting either.  I would just love to see these games get some Game Sack screen time.

Bloufo

For some reason that game (Shadow of the Colossus) never quite clicked with me. Maybe time I revisit it.  :-k

I loved Ico, though. Right up there, for me, with the best games I've played on the PS2.
I know some folks hated the dragging/pulling mechanic between the characters. I didn't mind it at all.

Speaking of,

Found my game save.

Can't believe it's been that long since I last played it. Going to remedy that, pronto! :p

IMG

TDIRunner

Quote from: Bloufo on 11/15/2016, 11:44 AM
For some reason that game (Shadow of the Colossus) never quite clicked with me. Maybe time I revisit it.  :-k

I loved Ico, though. Right up there, for me, with the best games I've played on the PS2.
I know some folks hated the dragging/pulling mechanic between the characters. I didn't mind it at all.

Speaking of,

Found my game save.

Can't believe it's been that long since I last played it. Going to remedy that, pronto! :p
While SOTC is easily in my top 10 games of all time, I still think Ico is the better game.  I've had a goal lately of trying to platinum trophy both games on the PS3.  Sadly, I don't think I'll ever finish the hard time trial mode on SOTC.  I can finish the game on hard no problem,  but not with the time limits.  I'm about to go back to Ico.  Only missing a few trophies there.

TR0N

IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

So many PS2/Xbox era hack n' slashes remastered in HD.  I just can't get into many of them outside of ICO/SoC.  Updating the framerates and resolution and boom!  Instant cash grab.

Meh.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TDIRunner

Well, I cheated and read the list of included games from your website before watching the video.  For obvious reasons, I'm super excited for this episode.  Probably won't have time to watch it until the evening, but I will be looking forward to it all day.

TurboXray

It's really shitty that Capcom used the PS2 port to do the HD update of RE4. It has lower polygon count and has reduced lighting compared to the GC version. They should have used the GC one for the base upgrade, or better yet the Wii edition. It's one of the reasons I didn't bother getting the HD version.

jtucci31

Just a few days ago I beat Ico on the PS3 and loved it! In preparation for The Last Guardian I wanted to knock them both out and next up is SoC. I've wanted to play it for years and really can't wait to do so. The side-by-side comparisons really show the difference that the HD collection makes.

I've also been tempted to get RE 4, but these HD remastered are getting pretty crazy!

Groover

Another great video. I look forward to each one.

I am excited to play RE4 again. I want to ask about the control options. What control option on the PS4 works well for you? I played it a little and found the using a thumbstick to contol the camer and the other for movemnt uncomfortable. I'm thinking just removing the move camera with anolog stick all together. I haven't really played through this game since it was first on the GameCube. The PS3 rerelease I found disappointing as it seemed to be a port of the PS2 version.
IMG

munchiaz

i fell asleep during the last episode

Bloufo

Quote from: munchiaz on 11/29/2016, 11:47 AMi fell asleep during the last episode
But your click on the video still counts as one view. So I'm sure Joe and Dave won't mind what you did afterwards. :P

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Grooveram excited to play RE4 again. I want to ask about the control options. What control option on the PS4 works well for you?
It was Xbox One but I don't remember what controller setting it was, exactly. Maybe the 3rd one? It still wasn't perfect.

TR0N

IMG

Bloufo

Those Blinx games look quite fun. I might pick those up.

Loved the thought process going on with the Duke at the end of the vid. lol

Gypsy

Quote from: Bloufo on 12/11/2016, 04:57 AMThose Blinx games look quite fun. I might pick those up.

Loved the thought process going on with the Duke at the end of the vid. lol
I've played through both. For a couple smackers each they are fun enough (should be very doable but I didn't check Ebay recently). Some mild glitches in me britches iirc.

More random thoughts and comments

You can also play Riddick on PS3, a remade version was included on the Dark Athena disc.

Crimson Skies is one of the best games you can get for a dollar reliably.

I have almost every game covered (all but 2), not sure what that says about me. Beat most of em too.

Voodoo Vince looks really cool, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that one. Just when I thought I had every random 3D action platformer on Xbox. I may just wait for the remaster.

I'm really loving Grabbed by the Ghoulies, I picked it up about a week ago.

Love the Burnout series, good shout.

Halo is great. Glad to see it mentioned.

Damn right we are playing Space Harrier and Hang-on too. I prefer the original audio though and love the Dreamcast version in general.

NightWolve

TR0N

IMG

Bloufo

Even before watching the vid, just from the vid title I kinda had the feeling PC Engine CD Golden Axe would be amongst that lot.  :P

Enternal

The xbox end scene was good  =D>

EvilEvoIX

As always so good.  Makes me want Symphony of the Night.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Bloufo on 12/24/2016, 02:38 PMEven before watching the vid, just from the vid title I kinda had the feeling PC Engine CD Golden Axe would be amongst that lot.  :P
With exception to Tony Hawk I have experience with all of those.

With that said, I kept waiting for Pac-Man for 2600 to show up... and it didn't.
--DragonmasterDan

Joe Redifer

There is a lot of material we could cover for future installments. A lot of people are recommending Sonic Genesis for the GBA. I've never played it as after Sonic 1 I never really cared about Sonic games with the exception of Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. I look forward to being impressed with the 32-bit GBA's adaptation of the 16-bit game. So many potential dumb blast processing jokes.

wildfruit

I used to hate so much on Xbox. I missed out on so much.

Groover

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/25/2016, 04:43 PMThere is a lot of material we could cover for future installments. A lot of people are recommending Sonic Genesis for the GBA. I've never played it as after Sonic 1 I never really cared about Sonic games with the exception of Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. I look forward to being impressed with the 32-bit GBA's adaptation of the 16-bit game. So many potential dumb blast processing jokes.
That GBA port is very bad.

Great episode on bad ports.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/25/2016, 04:43 PMThere is a lot of material we could cover for future installments. A lot of people are recommending Sonic Genesis for the GBA. I've never played it as after Sonic 1 I never really cared about Sonic games with the exception of Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. I look forward to being impressed with the 32-bit GBA's adaptation of the 16-bit game. So many potential dumb blast processing jokes.
I don't think you will get excited over this, but many years ago I saw Gauntlet+Rampart for GBA reduced at the store and I happily purchased it...

I LOVE THESE GAMES!

...only to discover that these GBA ports of Gauntlet and Rampart were really lame.

This was pre-smart phone era (for me) and impulse-purchases often resulted in a "doh!" moment later in the day.

OH WELL.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG