RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Bought a Genesis... Any game suggestions?

Started by Izod1337, 05/01/2017, 08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izod1337

As the title says I just bought a Genesis from a local game store and have been having fun with the console and games so far!

I currently have Rocket Knight Adventures, Aladdin, and Sub-Terraria. Any suggestions that you may have?

sirhcman

Musha, Gunstar Heroes, Ranger X, TMNT Hyperstone Heist, Streets of Rage 2

crazydean

Sanic! Gotta go fast!

Seriously though, I'll second Musha and Gunstar Heroes.

Medic_wheat

Get a SMS covertor and play only SMS games.

Michirin9801

I don't think I need to mention Streets of Rage 2 but... It's there just for the record...
Other than that you GOTTA have Granada, it's probably WolfTeam's best game, get that one!
Ristar, Shinobi 3 and Castlevania Bloodlines are really good too...

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/01/2017, 10:01 PMGet a SMS covertor and play only SMS games.
If you're gonna get an SMS adapter, make sure to get that one that has the FM expansion built into it! It will make Outrun, Kenseiden and Wonder Boy in Monster Land, to name a few, a whole lot better...
But don't bother with Outrun on the SMS when you can get the spectacular Genesis version, oh and get Super Hang-on too, you just gotta have Super Hang-on!

Gredler

Lightening force, xgranadax, alien storm, and phantasy star iv

Medic_wheat

Wait there is a SMS converter with the FM sound built in to it?

bob

i suggest tossing sub-terrania in the garbage

Michirin9801

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 05/01/2017, 11:02 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/01/2017, 10:56 PMWait there is a SMS converter with the FM sound built in to it?
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini-fm.html
^Yes
Oh thanks. However I thought an official variant was made. Not a third party adaptor.

seieienbu

Sonic 3 combined with Sonic & Knuckles is one of my very favorite games on the platform.  Ristar is fantastic as well.  Beyond those, there are tons of brawlers like the Golden Axe games, Streets of Rage games, Turtles Hyperstone Heist that are good.  I also like a lot of action platformers like Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, and Shinobi games to name a few.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Michirin9801

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/01/2017, 11:19 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/01/2017, 10:56 PMWait there is a SMS converter with the FM sound built in to it?
^Yes
Oh thanks. However I thought an official variant was made. Not a third party adaptor.
There are no official ones, only aftermarket...

HailingTheThings

Ristar, Castlevania: Bloodlines, Captain America, Punisher, Dick Tracy, Elemental Master, Alisia Dragoon.
IMG

TR0N

Id suggest these games.

Crusader of Centy
Alisia Dragoon
Landstalker
Lightening Force
Dynamite Headdy
Castlevaina Bloodlines
Beyond Oasis
Monster World IV
Gauntlet IV
Gaiares
Trouble Shooter

Still prices for the genesis have been going up.Id really recommend buying a everdrive for the console.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

crazydean

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 05/02/2017, 12:21 AM
^Yes
There was the Sega power base converter.

wildfruit

Streets of rage 2
Robocop versus terminator
Toy story
Super street fighter 2
Quackshot
Sonic 1
World of illusion
Empire of steel

Galder

Shadowrun!! Legendary game (and version) imo.

Gypsy

sirhcman

Quote from: crazydean on 05/02/2017, 03:57 AM
Quote from: Michirin9801 on 05/02/2017, 12:21 AM
^Yes
There was the Sega power base converter.
But it doesn't have built in FM support like OP was asking

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

technozombie

Burning Force: a fun Space Harrier style game from Namco, nice music IMO.

Light Crusader: Isometric  action  RPG  from Treasure. Late Genesis title with good graphics, but does suffer from some difficulty stemming from the isometric view point.

Chiki Chiki Boys: Fun action platformer/ arcade port.  Discussed more in depth on another thread on the forum.

Tiny Toons Buster's Hidden Treasure
Shadow Dancer
Bio Hazard Battle
Genesis 6-pak

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

deubeul

If you like shooters, and have an everdrive, try Eliminate Down.

WoodyXP

Quote from: Izod1337 on 05/01/2017, 08:10 PMAny suggestions that you may have?
Get an Everdrive.  It's the best cart you can buy for the system.
"I bathe in AES carts."

roflmao

Quote from: deubeul on 05/02/2017, 09:31 AMIf you like shooters, and have an everdrive, try Eliminate Down.
I was just playing this game last week (via EverDrive)! I love the music; it reminds me of Doom. :D

xcrement5x

Lots of good recommendations so far!  Like others though I'd recommend and everdrive if you want to play some of the heavier hitters first before investing too much in real carts.  I didn't see it listed yet, but Quackshot is really good, so is Lion King and I think both of them are still cheap. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

majors

What?! No Target Earth love here? It's a fav of mine, but for some ppl it's too hard (whaaah).

EWJ
Thunderforce 3

If not already mentioned.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

johnnykonami

I want to eventually get a model 1 Genesis and Sega CD (I have a modded Model 2), and I think the first games I would try to get would be: Ghouls N' Ghosts, Space Harrier II, ThunderForce 2, Herzog Zwei, and Last Battle.  Yep, they're all launch titles I think - I have fond memories of all those games when my older cousin got them all when the Genny was new.  Other than Ghouls N' Ghosts and Herzog, I don't think anyone would say to go for those other titles first.  But I would!

DeshDildo

Sticking with Genesis exclusives

Must own games:
Streets of Rage 2
Contra Hard Corps
Revenge of Shinobi
Gunstar Heroes
Sonic 2
Toejam and Earl

Cheap games that are good:
Golden Axe
Vectorman
Dynamite Duke
Tinhead
Road Rash 1, 2 and 3
Terminator
Galahad
Dick Tracy
Mercs
Comix Zone
Saint Sword (I think I read somewhere this is supposed to be a sequel to Cadash)
Midnight Resistance
True Lies (I know this isn't exclusive but overlooked in my opinion)
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

nopepper

Quote from: johnnykonami on 05/02/2017, 12:07 PMI want to eventually get a model 1 Genesis and Sega CD (I have a modded Model 2), and I think the first games I would try to get would be: Ghouls N' Ghosts, Space Harrier II, ThunderForce 2, Herzog Zwei, and Last Battle.  Yep, they're all launch titles I think - I have fond memories of all those games when my older cousin got them all when the Genny was new.  Other than Ghouls N' Ghosts and Herzog, I don't think anyone would say to go for those other titles first.  But I would!
What?!?

TFII is way underrated and Space Harrier II is great fun too.

The only stinker in that group is Last Battle.

My fav Genny games are:

Thunder Force III - the best TF
Thunder Force IV - better graphics and music than III, but worse level design
Elemental Master - one of the best games ever IMO - the soundtrack is just incredible
Phantasy Star II - this one is more because of nostalgia, as it's a grindfest
Phantasy Star IV - right up there with FF III (6) as best RPG of that generation
Ghouls and Ghosts - essential!
Sonic 1 - not a huge Sonic fan, but the first one is pretty great, as it has the best balance between speed and platforming
Herzog Zwei - great single player, awesome as multiplayer
MUSHA - a tad overrated, but still great Compile fun
Castlevania Bloodlines - not as good as X, IV or Symphony, but still fantastic

There are a lot of lesser known shooters, but the PCE is better for that anyway.

Izod1337

Gotta say thank you to everyone who posted their suggestions thus far! There were many titles that I never even heard of like True Lies, Midnight Resistance, Shadow Dancer, Tinhead.

I initially bought the Genesis collection on PS3 some years ago and absolutely loved the majority of the games on it which held me back from buying a Genesis. But of course I knew there would be fantastic games that I and friends would miss out on.

I'll definitely look into buying an Everdrive first before delving totally into getting the og carts due to me really going after Saturn and Wii U games at the moment. Do everdrives need an SD card to function? I don't know much about it.

Also the Powerbase Converter FM is meant to be a replacement for the official one by Sega? I recall that the official one cannot work on Model 2 (which I have).

johnnykonami

Quote from: nopepper on 05/02/2017, 01:10 PMWhat?!?

TFII is way underrated and Space Harrier II is great fun too.

The only stinker in that group is Last Battle.
True, TF2 is a great game, and Space Harrier II is pretty good also.  Last Battle was really cool to me back then, so I'll happily wear my nostalgia goggles.  I remember being impressed by the large, cool looking sprites, and the music is also so engrained that I can recall it even now.  I should go get a copy, it's probably dirt cheap.

nopepper

Quote from: Izod1337 on 05/02/2017, 02:21 PMGotta say thank you to everyone who posted their suggestions thus far! There were many titles that I never even heard of like True Lies, Midnight Resistance, Shadow Dancer, Tinhead.

I initially bought the Genesis collection on PS3 some years ago and absolutely loved the majority of the games on it which held me back from buying a Genesis. But of course I knew there would be fantastic games that I and friends would miss out on.

I'll definitely look into buying an Everdrive first before delving totally into getting the og carts due to me really going after Saturn and Wii U games at the moment. Do everdrives need an SD card to function? I don't know much about it.

Also the Powerbase Converter FM is meant to be a replacement for the official one by Sega? I recall that the official one cannot work on Model 2 (which I have).
Mega Everdrives use MicroSD cards, so you can have all games in the cart. You can also play Master System games from the Mega Everdrive, so you don't need the OEM power base or that FM version (unless you really want FM sound).

IMO, the Genesis/MD is essential in any gamer's arsenal, right alongside the PCE, SNES and NES.

nopepper

Quote from: johnnykonami on 05/02/2017, 02:30 PMTrue, TF2 is a great game, and Space Harrier II is pretty good also.  Last Battle was really cool to me back then, so I'll happily wear my nostalgia goggles.  I remember being impressed by the large, cool looking sprites, and the music is also so engrained that I can recall it even now.  I should go get a copy, it's probably dirt cheap.
My nostalgia for Last Battle is only negative, as my brother and I bought it when it came out, just based on looking at the screenshots. Getting a bad game with my own money when I was 15 was devastating and unfortunately, this was one of them. No matter how much I tried, I could not find redeeming qualities, as even the cool music started to grate on me after dealing with its stiff controls and horrible level design for hours.

Fuck Last Battle.

To the OP, don't even put it in your Everdrive.

touko

you also have :
 gleylancer
Street of rage 3
golden axe
soleil(a zelda like)
the futur water melon's BTU, paprium  :D

Ps: how someone can appreciate eliminate down and its jigsaw sounds ??  :mrgreen:

Gypsy

Quote from: touko on 05/02/2017, 03:48 PMyou also have :
 gleylancer
Street of rage 3
golden axe
soleil(a zelda like)
the futur water melon's BTU, paprium  :D

Ps: how someone can appreciate eliminate down and and its jigsaw sounds ??  :mrgreen:
Gleylancer is good, but it's an everdrive type unless he's looking to drop serious coin.

SignOfZeta

Let's see...Genesis suggestions...

My favorites are probably Trespass and Nursery Cryme, should be obtainable for less than $10 in decent shape. Foxtrot is good, IMO, but not as good as people say it is. For a change of pace try Spot the Pigeon.
IMG

GaijinD

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything someone else hasn't already suggested, but I will say Cool Spot is a totally decent game, which you wouldn't expect considering it's based on the 7Up spot. Also, if you do go the EverDrive route, Treasure made a four-player Yu Yu Hakusho fighter that's really good. They revisited the engine for their Bleach fighters on DS, and it was clearly an influence on Guardian Heroes.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

captainzoli

Mutant League Football
Outrun
Pirates Gold

deubeul

ToyMachine78

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/02/2017, 05:15 PMLet's see...Genesis suggestions...

My favorites are probably Trespass and Nursery Cryme, should be obtainable for less than $10 in decent shape. Foxtrot is good, IMO, but not as good as people say it is. For a change of pace try Spot the Pigeon.
You strike me as a James Pond kinda guy.

cr8zykuban0

Any streets of rage game, lost vikings, combat cars, bio hazard battle, vector man 1 and 2, and outrun 2049

glazball

No shortage of great games on the Genesis!  I'll second these games, absolutely must-have:
Altered Beast
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Chiki Chiki Boys
Contra: Hard Corps
Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Herzog Zwei
Outrun
Revenge of Shinobi
Shadow Dancer
Streets of Rage (any)
Strider
Vectorman 1 and 2
Wonder Boy in Monster World

Haven't seen these mentioned yet:
Castle of Illusion
Earthworm Jim
Forgotten Worlds
Rolling Thunder 2 and 3
Splatterhouse 2 and 3
Truxton
glazball's game collection and wantlist

Serega81

Phantasy Star IV - amazing RPG, way ahead of its time

Gargoyles - the cartoon adaptation, fun platformer with great character animations
If you don't like how things are, change it!  You're not a tree!!!!

Flare65

Thunderforce III is one of my most favorite side shooters of all time.  Well worth picking up.

Many of the titles mentioned here can get quite expensive.  I'll echo what others have said here and recommend an Everdrive to play all these games.  It will give you the most bang for the buck....

Gentlegamer

Road Rash
Crackdown
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

in99flames

Surprised only just 2 other mentions of Gunstar Heroes. This usually is not the cheapest game to get...but definitely worth it and a ton of fun. I strongly recommend Gunstar Heroes. The others have posted great recommendations too.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

Digi.k

soleil(a zelda like)

Ps: how someone can appreciate eliminate down and its jigsaw sounds ??  :mrgreen:
That's the european name I think rest of the world it's called: Crusader of Centy

TR0N

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/28/2017, 05:51 AM

soleil(a zelda like)

That's the european name I think rest of the world it's called: Crusader of Centy
It is in North America the game is titled as crusader of centy.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Mas

I honestly would get an everdrive these days. Unless you find cheap pick ups, I mean turtles can go up easily 50.00 and castlevania is like a 60.00 game. That right there is enough to an everdrive. This way you can play anything you want.