10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime

Started by DragonmasterDan, 07/08/2011, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

Ok I know you we kidding hut

Ogenki Clinic. Is freaking funny

Also WHAT?!? No bible black?

xcrement5x

Lol, the only hentai type anime I can ever remember watching was Dragon Pink on VHS back in the day.  That was still quite funny though.

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 07/29/2014, 10:37 AMBump from the mists of time!

However, the other title (which I'm still watching) is Knights of Sidonia, and it is great.  It's seinen and has a deep sci-fi feel to it which I haven't felt for a long time in any shows.  Story wise it's very engaging, and most of the characters are pretty well done for what I've seen.  Stylistically it looks phenomenal.  If you've ever seen FREEDOM, it uses a similar kind of style to create the cell shaded 3D animation look, blended with some traditional drawings from my understanding.  Definitely worth the watch on Netflix if you've already got an account, and the opening song is pretty badass.  :D
This i finished watching it recently and i heard there will be a 2nd season.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

xcrement5x

I recently watched Arpeggio of Blue Steel on Netflix, it's a 12 episode series which is pretty entertaining.  The best description I can think of would be like Vocaloids X Battleship. 

In the anime certain naval ships have "mental models" which are basically human representations of the ships, and they all happen to be attractive looking young women with semi-ridiculous outfits.  There's a definite strategy feel to to the happenings in the show.  I had time to kill over several days so I didn't mind watching it. 

Will probably go back to something a bit more traditional now.  I haven't watched Evangelion or Berserk again in a long time so I might pull those out.

DragonmasterDan

Though I've watched it before I got the new(er) Sherlock Hound DVD set over the weekend and watched quite a few episodes.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBusted

Quote from: guest on 08/05/2014, 05:09 PMLol, the only hentai type anime I can ever remember watching was Dragon Pink on VHS back in the day.  That was still quite funny though.
Dragon Pink is quite a classic to me that I'd prefer any day over the mindless hardcore rape-fests of today's hentai anime.

That said, I'm mostly into early 80s to early 90s animation anyway. I can't wait to get my hands on Orguss, which will be released by Discotek Media in 2015. I already got SDF Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada when they were released in collector's editions by ADV some years ago, and I can't believe how much much the prices for these rose in the secondary market since ADV went defunct.

Yes, I'm nuts for old school Macross.
One of the very few modern shows I have a soft spot for is Yamada's First Time, though.

majors

Parasyte: The Maxim

I remember reading it in that US MixxZine mag bitd, and really liked it. Finally has a anime release plus made by Mad House, of which I'm a fan.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: majors on 11/11/2014, 08:48 AMParasyte: The Maxim

I remember reading it in that US MixxZine mag bitd, and really liked it. Finally has a anime release plus made by Mad House, of which I'm a fan.
Parasyte is finally getting an anine?  Wow great to hear.

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 11/11/2014, 04:28 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/05/2014, 05:09 PMLol, the only hentai type anime I can ever remember watching was Dragon Pink on VHS back in the day.  That was still quite funny though.
Dragon Pink is quite a classic to me that I'd prefer any day over the mindless hardcore rape-fests of today's hentai anime.

That said, I'm mostly into early 80s to early 90s animation anyway. I can't wait to get my hands on Orguss, which will be released by Discotek Media in 2015. I already got SDF Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada when they were released in collector's editions by ADV some years ago, and I can't believe how much much the prices for these rose in the secondary market since ADV went defunct.

One of the very few modern shows I have a soft spot for is Yamada's First Time, though.
Haha, I watched Yamada's First Time on Netflix awhile back.  It's pretty entertaining and I like to consider it like an ecchi anime with heart.  I've never been a huge mecha fan, my wife is a Gundam girl though.

Cool to hear they are doing an anime version of Parasyte!  I remember reading that back in the day as well.

TR0N

This caught my attention lately discotek media getting the rights to super dimension century orguss.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/2014-06-16/discotek-adds-orguss-mecha-tv-series/.75639

Years ago i bought a bootleg and it's english subs were flawed.I think by next year,i will have to buy the discotek media release asap.
Chōjikū Seiki Orguss OP [English Captions]
IMG

ClodBusted

I agree, as I said 4 posts ago I'm pretty excited for Discotek's Orguss release. :)

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 11/23/2014, 05:45 AMI agree, as I said 4 posts ago I'm pretty excited for Discotek's Orguss release. :)
Discotek Media,sure is becoming like working designs of anime.Bringing over 70's,80's and 90's shows while others that distribute anime ignore it.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 11/11/2014, 04:28 AM

Dragon pink man once I googled it I was I HAD THAT ON VHS a!

xcrement5x

So I just binge watched Sword Art Online over last the week.  It was pretty solid, and I can see the popularity for it.  24 episodes, but it's divided into like 2 major arcs that cover the "whole" story.  I really liked the first half over the second, just because of the way the characters developed and the way they depicted the amount of time spent in the MMO. 

I seriously could have done without the second half as I feel it almost cheapens the first part, but was an okay wrap up.  There's supposedly a second season coming out now so I may watch a bit and see if I like it.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 11/28/2014, 02:40 PMSo I just binge watched Sword Art Online over last the week.  It was pretty solid, and I can see the popularity for it.  24 episodes, but it's divided into like 2 major arcs that cover the "whole" story.  I really liked the first half over the second, just because of the way the characters developed and the way they depicted the amount of time spent in the MMO. 

I seriously could have done without the second half as I feel it almost cheapens the first part, but was an okay wrap up.  There's supposedly a second season coming out now so I may watch a bit and see if I like it.
I never really got that into it.  I really should give it another chance. It just felt like a .hack rip off to me

TR0N

I didn't know until now sunrise has given the rights to right-stuff to distribute gundam.
http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/LatestNews/News1/Sunrise-and-Right-Stuf-to-Gundam-in-the-State-5985.aspx

When bandai sold it i never got the rest of the shows in the uc time period.Now i have another chance finally and right-stuff is looking to bring,turn-a-gundam and gundam zz to the u.s  :mrgreen:
IMG

Medic_wheat

Well I have been in a Lupin the Third kick as of late.  This being an anime I enjoyed while it was on adult swim I look up on YouTube every now and again.

Well I had the urge to buy some DVDS of the show and movies.

So I started to look up who was releasing it and what was even released in the US what is dubbed and subbed and so forth.

Man I forget every time just how involved the Lupin series is.

It started to be released by Manga Video then Geneon and now a combination of Funimation and Discotek.

On top of that there are 33 movies some of which where tv specials spanning 40 years. These movies are a mix of all the above companies who released these over the years starting in the mid 90s. Some of these where in movie collections some have been edited rerelease do in the same collection and unedited/censored 

The first tv series (green jacket) which is 16 or so episodes is only dived even though Amazon keeps saying dived and subed released by Discotek

The second tv series (red jacket) is 150 episodes but only 74 were ever subed and released in 15 DBS vols by Geneon which are out of print and expensive depending on which DBS vol you are looking for.

He'll even some of the more resent Funimation stuff is already out of print as the show changes hands so often. And of course Funimation has krillian from DBS doing Lupin and piccolo/vagita doing the voice of the gun slinging friend in the show.

The third series does not seem to have been released yet (pink jacket).

The latest series has been released and in bluray (a first in the us) titles the woman called fujiko mine by Funimation. So I will be picking this up in a month.

Most of the movies seems to have been released with some gaps.

I am currently making a spread sheet listing all the movies and series and including who released what. What has been dubbed or subed. And how many different variations of that same movie/show there are so I know what the case looks like.

I have a feeling I am going to do all this work. Slowly get all the stuff that's been released.  Only for a bluray Funimation total package with dubbing on the stuff missing like a day after I finish.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/09/2014, 09:26 AMWell I have been in a Lupin the Third kick as of late.  This being an anime I enjoyed while it was on adult swim I look up on YouTube every now and again.

Well I had the urge to buy some DVDS of the show and movies.

So I started to look up who was releasing it and what was even released in the US what is dubbed and subbed and so forth.

Man I forget every time just how involved the Lupin series is.

It started to be released by Manga Video then Geneon and now a combination of Funimation and Discotek.

On top of that there are 33 movies some of which where tv specials spanning 40 years. These movies are a mix of all the above companies who released these over the years starting in the mid 90s. Some of these where in movie collections some have been edited rerelease do in the same collection and unedited/censored 

The first tv series (green jacket) which is 16 or so episodes is only dived even though Amazon keeps saying dived and subed released by Discotek

The second tv series (red jacket) is 150 episodes but only 74 were ever subed and released in 15 DBS vols by Geneon which are out of print and expensive depending on which DBS vol you are looking for.

He'll even some of the more resent Funimation stuff is already out of print as the show changes hands so often. And of course Funimation has krillian from DBS doing Lupin and piccolo/vagita doing the voice of the gun slinging friend in the show.

The third series does not seem to have been released yet (pink jacket).

The latest series has been released and in bluray (a first in the us) titles the woman called fujiko mine by Funimation. So I will be picking this up in a month.

Most of the movies seems to have been released with some gaps.

I am currently making a spread sheet listing all the movies and series and including who released what. What has been dubbed or subed. And how many different variations of that same movie/show there are so I know what the case looks like.

I have a feeling I am going to do all this work. Slowly get all the stuff that's been released.  Only for a bluray Funimation total package with dubbing on the stuff missing like a day after I finish. 
If you have questions I own basically every legitimately US released Lupin anime DVD (and some VHS tapes, laserdiscs and foreign releases).

Added in edit:
Just for some other Clarifications the earliest US released Lupin stuff came from Streamline who released Castle of Cagliostro, Mystery of Mamo and a few Lupin series II episodes in the early 90s. These were all dubs. Lupin is called "Wolf" here due to not wanting to infringe on rights to the original Lupin character. Manga's Cagliostro is a different dub and the DVD releases include subtitles.

Animego released Plot of the Fuma Clan and Legend of Gold babylon on VHS and LD slightly later. Manga didn't get involved in the US until they redubbed and re-released Cagliostro in the mid 90s. Fuma was dubbed, Gold Babylon was subbed. Lupin is called "Rupan" here due to not wanting to infringe on rights of the original Lupin character.

Funimation released some of the TV specials, the theatrical release movies Dead or Alive and Farewell to Nostradamus in the early 2000s, along with the Fujiko series more recently. All were dubbed and subbed.

Discotek has released TV specials, Mamo, Plot of the Fuma Clan and the entire first series (subbed only) with more TV specials, and an upcoming Blu-Ray and DVD re-release of Castle of Cagliostro.

The Lupin Series II that you saw on Adult Swim was distributed by Pioneer/Geneon in the early mid-2000s, they also made their own dub of Mamo. I believe Geneon did 79 episodes on DVD not 74 and there's also the two episodes (both Miyazaki directed) that Streamline did in the 90s. The 79 episodes are both subbed and dubbed.

Series III has been legitimately released in the US via Hulu in subtitled form but last I knew only episodes 1-30 were up leaving the last 20 for fan subs.

A new series is coming next year.

There's also two live actions Lupin movies, one released on DVD by Discotek some years ago. And a second one released in Japanese theatres this year that has not yet been released on home media in the US. A lot of the TV specials are unreleased in the US along with the theatrically released Lupin vs Detective Conan movie, Lupin The Tomb of Jigen movie, and the Return of Pycal OVA.
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

Wow you said an even bigger mouth full then me.

Well this will help greatly in my quest for all that is Lupin.

Yes I had heard they used the wolf (as the French name also means wolf). I also heated that other use of the name due to the whole Japanese L and R switching thing.  It also seems that the original character Lupin is based from as the great grand son is now in public domain so they can do what ever they want dub wise for the name from this point on.

I know some people didn't like the Genoen release as they tried to modernize the show (originally from the 70s) with things like eBay and such.  To be honest at the time I never realized the animation was from a show that old when it originally aired. I guess Japan Animation holds up better then most Western animation.  Sure they did a lot of static images with moving mouths but that was very common of most Japanies animation even in the early to late 90s.

Well so far I scored:

Lupin the third first haul off eBay for $34 with the seller verifying that the one movie was not the edited verson

Lupin vol 15 for $24

Most of the other vols for between $3-$6 dollars off amazon only missing vols 5, 10, 12, 13

With holiday expenses I will have to hold off until next month to buy any more. Plan on getting the missing vols and final haul.

Then the next month the resent Fujiko series on bluray and the first lupin series.  And just keep going from there I guess until I and done.  Sigh.  I just know I am going to rebut these as a bluray comes out and if any more dubs. Although there is clearly a following for this series it never seems to get the kind of release and bundles that would make it more accessible.  Granted O think Dunimation did a great job with their two movie collections totaling ten movies all together they really should reprint these in bluray and do more of the movies IMO.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/09/2014, 10:12 AMI know some people didn't like the Genoen release as they tried to modernize the show (originally from the 70s) with things like eBay and such.  To be honest at the time I never realized the animation was from a show that old when it originally aired. I guess Japan Animation holds up better then most Western animation.  Sure they did a lot of static images with moving mouths but that was very common of most Japanies animation even in the early to late 90s.
Lupin the Third isn't exactly poetry and while it's clear series 2 takes place in the 70s I didn't have a problem with the modernization. I actually do like the Geneon dub of series II as I think it captures the humor of the series that might otherwise be lost in translation. I've watched all 155 series II episodes and unfortunately the series gets worse  and starts having a much lower good episode percentage around the 80s-90s so where Geneon left off isn't a bad stop.

QuoteWell so far I scored:

Lupin the third first haul off eBay for $34 with the seller verifying that the one movie was not the edited verson

Lupin vol 15 for $24
Those Geneon DVDs can get expensive, I have all 15 of them and I know a few go for a small fortune. Last I knew if you want to watch the dubbed episodes they're all free on Hulu.

QuoteMost of the other vols for between $3-$6 dollars off amazon only missing vols 5, 10, 12, 13

With holiday expenses I will have to hold off until next month to buy any more. Plan on getting the missing vols and final haul.
I have the individual first haul DVDs and then the final haul set for the funimation movies/TV specials. Just as a warning the video quality on these is piss poor. Nostradamus while possessing great animation looks horrid on the DVD sets.

QuoteThen the next month the resent Fujiko series on bluray and the first lupin series.
If you're on a budget and just want to watch them last I knew Fujiko and Green jacket were both on Hulu too. On a side note there's two different series 1/green jacket sets. A cheaper set exists that removes all the bonus material. If you just want to watch the episodes do so over Hulu, if you want it to collect buy the set with the bonuses.

QuoteAnd just keep going from there I guess until I and done.  Sigh.  I just know I am going to rebut these as a bluray comes out and if any more dubs. Although there is clearly a following for this series it never seems to get the kind of release and bundles that would make it more accessible.  Granted O think Dunimation did a great job with their two movie collections totaling ten movies all together they really should reprint these in bluray and do more of the movies IMO.
It's a money thing. Cagliostro is coming out on Blu-Ray in the US, the recent Fujiko series already is. The TV specials/shows were originally created for 480 television and a lot of them don't exactly have stellar animation. Unless TMS still has all of their original film sources for these episodes/specials it's probably not worth it to go back and re-scan/remaster these for higher res TV quality animation releases. As mentioned earlier Discotek is releasing two more of the TV specials next year.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

ClodBusted

My better half is totally into Lupin III. I helped her with her quest getting hands on all the German DVD releases, which are mainly movies and OVA specials. Most of them are out-of-print for years now, so this involved some exciting last-second-bidding moments on auctions.

She would also like to cosplay Fujiko sometime in the near future. Fuck yeah.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 12/09/2014, 03:54 PMMy better half is totally into Lupin III. I helped her with her quest getting hands on all the German DVD releases, which are mainly movies and OVA specials. Most of them are out-of-print for years now, so this involved some exciting last-second-bidding moments on auctions.

She would also like to cosplay Fujiko sometime in the near future. Fuck yeah.
You know we would have to see this cosplay if and when it happens.

HailingTheThings

IMG

ClodBusted

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/09/2014, 06:59 PMYou know we would have to see this cosplay if and when it happens.
Well, this could take quite a while, but in the meantime here she is dressing as Koyori Kokubunji from Nurse Witch Komugi:
IMG

If you guys want to see more pictures, please stay tuned when her official cosplay site opens up in January. I will post a link here in this thread if anybody is interested.

Medic_wheat

Sure by not. Voyager ism at its best

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/10/2014, 06:04 PMSure by not. Voyager ism at its best
Hehe. Fan of Star Trek, are we? lol
IMG

ClodBusted

Well, you asked for it, so here you go for more cosplay pics:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MorninGlory-Cosplay/873433509368465?ref=hl

Besides, there's a winter/Christmas photo contest going until 10th of January:
http://bakayaro.de/weihnachts-cosplay-contest-2014-voting/
Feel free to stop by if you like to. Your votes, especially for Kokiri Girl & NANASE, are highly appreciated.

I wish you all a happy new year! =)

_Paul

What are some good 'Space Cowboy' style anime, in the same style as things like Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop?

Is Trigun like that, is it any good?

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 01/25/2015, 07:20 AMWhat are some good 'Space Cowboy' style anime, in the same style as things like Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop?

Those three for me are he only ones that come to mind with a western cowboy theme.

ClodBusted

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs comes to my mind when thinking of Space Cowboy Anime.
I've never seen any episode of it honestly, but it seems like it was pretty popular in the late 80s to early 90s in Germany, where it even got a DVD release later on.

SuperGrafx

The last good anime series I felt compelled to watch was "Mezzo"

It's basically just 3 DVD's worth for the entire run.  Nothing overly mind blowing, but good solid fun.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 01/25/2015, 07:20 AMWhat are some good 'Space Cowboy' style anime, in the same style as things like Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop?

Trigun is very hot. The Trigun Maximum manga is hotter, though.
IMG

xcrement5x

Trigun is like Western themed with a dash of Science Fiction to smooth things out.  I really liked Trigun back in the day, but I don't think it holds up as well today personally.

I actually recently watched the second season of Sword Art Online and it's pretty good.  I think the first arc dragged a bit in some spots, but the shorter parts for the second act were well done.

cjameslv

Quote from: guest on 01/25/2015, 09:39 PM... really liked Trigun back in the day, but I don't think it holds up as well today personally....
This man is of teh crack smokerz club! Trigun was and is still a great anime! The series was by far the best part but Badlands movie was really good too! Humor, storyline, characters...all amazing sir!

TR0N

Finish watching magi and the magic kingdom on netflik earlier.It takes one thousand and one knights but with a twist,think japan own take on arabian knights.The show can be often really silly then get very serious beside characters being killed off.
IMG

cjameslv

Quote from: TR0N on 01/26/2015, 01:20 AMFinish watching magi and the magic kingdom on netflik earlier.It takes one thousand and one knights but with a twist,think japan own take on arabian knights.The show can be often really silly then get very serious beside characters being killed off.
Ya that story evolved alot differently than i expected. Thought the main character should have been more epic but it was a solid series.

ParanoiaDragon

There's also Wild Arms, which is ok, nothing special compared to those 3.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/26/2015, 01:43 AMThere's also Wild Arms, which is ok, nothing special compared to those 3.
It's an excellent PSone game though.
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/26/2015, 11:59 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/26/2015, 01:43 AMThere's also Wild Arms, which is ok, nothing special compared to those 3.
It's an excellent PSone game though.
Correct, though, oddly, the only ones I've beaten are 1, 4, & Alter Code F.  I have a file of 2 that I had been working on for years, but I just can't get into that one.  I started 3 a million years ago, but never got back to it, & really haven't played 5 or XF.  I should probably do a marathon soon & play thru the rest of the games I haven't beaten.
IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: cjameslv on 01/25/2015, 10:58 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/25/2015, 09:39 PM... really liked Trigun back in the day, but I don't think it holds up as well today personally....
This man is of teh crack smokerz club! Trigun was and is still a great anime! The series was by far the best part but Badlands movie was really good too! Humor, storyline, characters...all amazing sir!
I'm not saying Trigun is bad, but upon rewatching it recently it just didn't hold up to the memories I had.  It's still a good, solid anime, just not something I would put on the level of Cowboy Bebop for the overall quality. 

There is some anime I have rewatched recently and it just wasn't that good as I remembered, others seem to be better than I had remembered and I'm surprised I didn't like them more back then. 

Some random musings:
Slayers is still hilarious
Serial Experiment Lain is not that deep
Beserk is still an epic (albeit violent) story
The original Dragonball is funnier when you have kids watching it too.

munchiaz

Been watching Jojo's Bizarre adventure: Stardust crusaders. Up to ep. 13 so far. its got the monster of the week feel, but its just one of those animes that you like because its so anime.

Sarumaru

Watching Akame ga Kill right now, sh!t is cray.

SignOfZeta

I finished Gundam Unicorn a while back. The ending satisfied me quite a bit, but I'm afraid the new school/non-Japanese fans probably aren't going to quite get it.

Speaking of which, and since someone mentioned Gundam Breaker here a year ago, I'm playing Gundam Breaker 2 quite regularly and its a game I like quite a bit. (I put 127 hours into GB1) so PM me if you want to play.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/26/2015, 06:46 PMI finished Gundam Unicorn a while back. The ending satisfied me quite a bit, but I'm afraid the new school/non-Japanese fans probably aren't going to quite get it.

Speaking of which, and since someone mentioned Gundam Breaker here a year ago, I'm playing Gundam Breaker 2 quite regularly and its a game I like quite a bit. (I put 127 hours into GB1) so PM me if you want to play.
Dude, you can't just post and then disappear. Talk to my saggy white ass, at least. Thank you.

For example, have you played Miraculum on PC-FX? I haven't, but I have been enjoying the soundtrack. See? We can talk, goddammit. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

I haven't played it. Lately I've been playing mostly PS3 and Vita stuff, if you can believe that.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/27/2015, 04:36 PMI haven't played it. Lately I've been playing mostly PS3 and Vita stuff, if you can believe that.
Have you played Demon Gaze?

That game ruled.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Nah, I mostly just play Bandai stuff and racing games.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

I've been big into old school Toei Douga movies lately and watched Animal Treasure Island this weekend.
--DragonmasterDan