10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

I noticed you had some frustration with some of those battles.  That twin heli boss or whatever is a pain because of the range limitations.  But there is a strategy to it and it is a fun battle.  Many bosses in that game have unique features like that.

Like I said, I really enjoyed the magic system and the way you could customize your equipment using the various combinations of materia.  I though it was really clever and not as limiting as most RPG magic systems are.

Later in the game I loved the free roam nature of it.  Yeah there is a linear story path, but at many points you can go do other things for as long as you want.  The beginning of the game is very linear in nature and while great doesn't do a good job representing the game as a whole.  Once you get an airship later on... man does it open up!

Anyways, I am sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did, but I am glad you gave it another shot.  Did you doll up Cloud well enough to be picked by the Don or did you get the reject spot?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Gentlegamer

Joe, you haven't lived until you've mated chocobo for 90 hours so you can get the best materia in the game (that also needs you to grind to level up).
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

DeshDildo

Meh... I played through most of FF7 on PC and liked it but never finished it.  A few months ago I picked up a copy on PS1 and thought I would want to go right through and finally beat the thing.  I lost interest after getting out of Midgar.  The one thing I completely adore about FF7 though is the music.  Admittedly, I am not the biggest turn based RPG fan in the world but sometimes one will suck me in.  Originally, FF7 did to a point but I just can't get back into it now.  It's hard for me to get into turn based when there are Zeldas, Neutopias and Alundras of the world.  I actually beat Crystallis on NES for the first time a few months ago and even though it's an action RPG it was getting to be a grind towards the end.  That was a long damn game for being on the NES.

My favorite turn based "RPG" you ask?  Sweet Home on Famicom (translated of course).  It's what I love about survival horror with a turn based RPG format but a good story and good, fitting music.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/08/2014, 04:05 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/08/2014, 06:46 AMI am guilty of this myself (for example, when folks say that Legendary Axe I/II, China Warrior, ______ are bad games).
Well all I can do is let people know why I didn't like it, which I did. All other people can do (or should try to do) is let me know what they like about it. So for example if someone said "Legendary Axe sucks I hate waiting for that damn bar it takes like two minutes to fill before I can swing again and I hate the weak attacks when the bar is empty" my best response would be that I like it, it adds strategy to the way you deal with your enemies. A bad response would be "You don't enjoy it because you're playing it wrong. LOL that's not even 11% into the game! You must beat the entire game before you're allowed to have an opinion on it."
HAHJAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH. Too true. Well, actually, it's 89% trĂ¼e. You only finished 11%* of the game, after all.

*Technically 10.64%, but I rounded up to 11%.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

EvilEvoIX

Another great episode.  I did like Bonk immediately however and the game is so easy I think the iffy attacks add some difficulty and realism as only the top of Bonks head can attack and even though you spin very fast you still expose Bonk's vulnerable body.  The game lets you use the turbo switches as I guess it was a gimmick of the system which basically defines it.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

seieienbu

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 12/08/2014, 04:16 PMJoe, you haven't lived until you've mated chocobo for 90 hours so you can get the best materia in the game (that also needs you to grind to level up).
I had a first generation PS1 that overheated all the time.  As you had to wait an in-game hour between attempts, the obvious method of Chocobo breading was if you didn't get the result you wanted, reset the game and try again.  As I could do that 3 times before my PS1 wouldn't load the game I didn't get Knights of the Round until I got a PS2.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Joe Redifer

Quote from: BlueBMW on 12/08/2014, 04:12 PMAnyways, I am sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did, but I am glad you gave it another shot.  Did you doll up Cloud well enough to be picked by the Don or did you get the reject spot?
He didn't pick me though I thought for sure he would since I'm the protagonist and all.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/09/2014, 02:54 PMHe didn't pick me though I thought for sure he would since I'm the protagonist and all.
The Don has standards.

And so do you ... by not trudging through the cliched and ugly grindfest that is Final Fantasy VII. Even in 1997 I was disappointed with the game. So don't worry, millions of fans can (and are wrong). It's a game that's way more significant in terms of popularizing RPGs than it was a polished and finely tuned product.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBusted

I'm a Zelda guy anyway. So I'm not mad at you, Joe.

BlueBMW

There was a specific set of doll up items you needed to get picked by the don.  Made for a little more awkward moment if you got picked.

I want to disagree with you Dan but you made me play the Lunar games so I know you're right... :(
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Joe Redifer

Actually I don't mind grinding in RPGs, just so long as the battles are fast. Like I said somewhere else, I can complete an average Phantasy Star 4 battle before a FF7 battle loads and is ready to begin.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: seieienbu on 12/09/2014, 02:33 PM
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 12/08/2014, 04:16 PMJoe, you haven't lived until you've mated chocobo for 90 hours so you can get the best materia in the game (that also needs you to grind to level up).
I had a first generation PS1 that overheated all the time.  As you had to wait an in-game hour between attempts, the obvious method of Chocobo breading was if you didn't get the result you wanted, reset the game and try again.  As I could do that 3 times before my PS1 wouldn't load the game I didn't get Knights of the Round until I got a PS2.
I remember doing that. I think it was also because you had to use special "mating ingredients" that were ultra rare drops from ultra rare encounters. So better to reset the system and play the slots again then go through the whole long process again. What a pain that was.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

BlueBMW

I do wish you could skip some of the long animations in the FF7 battles.  The summons etc are cool the first few times but after that its like ok lets get on with it...

Especially when you start w summon + miming a knights of the round.. yeah screw waiting for that.  You can stop and make a sandwich.  Reminds me of that game sack episode talking about TV lag...

Gentlegamer

I never defeated either of the Weapons, I still have my memory card and save game from the late 90s where I had my party geared up to fight them. BlueBMW reminds me why I never did: the base strategy is to mime Knights of the Round for maximum damage... and it takes forever! When you lose the battle, you just don't have the heart to go through it again right away since it takes so long.
IMG

Gentlegamer

I was just looking at the Game Sack channel page, and I realized the banner uses a photo of TG-16 with Soldier Blade in the slot that I used to use as my desktop wallpaper. Joe had posted it at Sega-16 years ago.
IMG

ToyMachine78

Joe... If you would accept Jesus as your savior... All would be good... Your job, marriage, friendship with Dave... Everything.

ToyMachine78

Remember that! Your X68000 power supply would work on demand too!

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 12/11/2014, 10:31 PMI was just looking at the Game Sack channel page, and I realized the banner uses a photo of TG-16 with Soldier Blade in the slot that I used to use as my desktop wallpaper. Joe had posted it at Sega-16 years ago.
Yes! That's a picture I took. I like that picture a lot and I sure as hell don't want to post a console on my channel page that 90% of other channels probably have.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/12/2014, 12:44 AMYes! That's a picture I took. I like that picture a lot and I sure as hell don't want to post a console on my channel page that 90% of other channels probably have.
I found the album https://imgur.com/a/3AviF

Do you have a Duo-R? I'd love a high res photo for wallpaper.

This reminds me, I checked the Turbo Memoirs recently, I think all the high res photos are unavailable.
IMG

Joe Redifer

I do not have a Duo-R, no.

BlueBMW

Ive got an RX Joe could snap a picture of... 

Or maybe ping Aaron Nanto and see if hes got some nice pics for ya.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Dicer

"get off my nipple, I'm not your mom..."

ClodBusted

Medic_wheat

Great now you reminded me that I still want wind jammers and spin masters for the MVS!

Now I am going to have to make a WTB thread..........

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/21/2014, 11:07 AMGreat now you reminded me that I still want wind jammers and spin masters for the MVS!

Not for $200 though..

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

PunkCryborg

Medic_wheat

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 12/21/2014, 11:32 AM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/21/2014, 11:07 AMGreat now you reminded me that I still want wind jammers and spin masters for the MVS!

Not for $200 though..
?

There are four eBay listing for spin master at the $50 mark

TR0N

I did mention in the comments where this one !?

I did mention in the comments where this one !? Though good luck trying to get windjammers it's become a valuable game.
Arcade Longplay [185] Magical Drop III
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TR0N on 12/21/2014, 11:34 PM

I did mention in the comments where this one !? Though good luck trying to get windjammers it's become a valuable game.
Wind hammers became valuable?

Man when I first started with Neo Geo about four years ago wind hammers was like a $30-$50 dollar game.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/22/2014, 12:48 AM

Man when I first started with Neo Geo about four years ago wind hammers was like a $30-$50 dollar game.
Jeff Gertsmann from Giant Bomb started playing it on streams, I would guess interest shot up.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/22/2014, 12:48 AM

Windjammers was a obscure one but not any more.Heck,once in awhile threads pop up at neo-geo.com on the price increase.
IMG

BlueBMW

Flying Power Disc is just as good... ;)

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/21/2014, 12:27 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 12/21/2014, 11:32 AM

Not for $200 though..
?

There are four eBay listing for spin master at the $50 mark
This was in reference to Wind Jammer..

NecroPhile

Nice Data East episode.  If you two liked Lock n Chase, check out the PCE port Revival Chase.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TR0N

IMG

MrFulci

I watched most of this, skimmed through monkey ball, and such.

Smash TV, great choice, Joe's other half. I enjoyed it in the arcade, and got the NES port, soon after it was available, and was so disappointed in it. 2 controllers, it worked ok, but, I never gave it much gameplay. While not the worst x-mas/birthday gift, it just so lacked what I was used to, in the arcade. It was one of the least played, NEW, NES games I owned.

Later, I got the SNES, bought SUPER Smash TV, for less than that NES version cost, and the controls took no getting used to. On the right of the controller, the top button shot up, bottom button shot down, etc. It was so nice.

No need for that anymore, since, though not a conversion, a Capcom Collection on PS2 has it. And those two thumb sticks, on those controllers, work fine, in that game.

Smash TV, on NES, though playable, sucked. I as glad when I got an SNES, and SUPER Smash TV was one of the first 5 games I got for it.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

ClodBusted

It's funny to see Dave growing more beard while lacking hair on the very top of his head.

Aaaaaaaaaah, great episode as always. I gave my better half a not-so-hidden hint when Super Monkey Ball was shown. You two convinced me I should play this game, since I enjoyed Super Monkey Ball 2 a lot along with my friends. Maybe I'm lucky on my next birthday.
I never knew before that Monkey Ball saw an arcade release, so thanks for sharing that info.

DeshDildo

I was happy to see Dave give Gunsmoke some love.  It's a great game and one of my favorites on the NES.  I feel like it doesn't get mentioned too often and is under appreciated.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2015, 10:45 AMIt's funny to see Dave growing more beard while lacking hair on the very top of his head.
I can definitely relate to Dave on this matter...

EvilEvoIX

Great episode.  I love the part about Outrun on the Saturn.  I must pick this up.  I wonder if that game had RGB or coax in mind on displaying its grafx?
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

jtucci31

Great episode! I've been wanting Out Run on the Saturn for awhile. Also a great end skit. I need to try up Mary-Kate and Ashley Pocket Planner :lol:

BigusSchmuck

Golden Axe? Anyway, awesome episode, what do I need to do to grow a beard like Daves? :P

Dicer

Quote from: Desh on 01/04/2015, 10:53 AMI was happy to see Dave give Gunsmoke some love.  It's a great game and one of my favorites on the NES.  I feel like it doesn't get mentioned too often and is under appreciated.
I poured enough quarters into a Gunsmoke at the local pizza shop back in the day, they should have given me the machine...

Dat Monkeyball love too, I think it's a bit of an addiction.

VenomMacbeth

Are there any discernible differences between the NES and FDS versions of Gun.Smoke?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 01/05/2015, 12:02 PMAre there any discernible differences between the NES and FDS versions of Gun.Smoke?
More load times?

esadajr

talk about surprises. A shame Monkey Ball wasn't released on the Dreamcast at least in Japan.

Couldn't agree more with Saturn Outrun being the definitive version.
Gaming since 1985

cr8zykuban0

i also enjoyed their arcade to home conversion episode! i really need to get my hands on gun smoke! that game looks awesome

munchiaz

Another great ep. Was not expect super monkey ball. Its a fun game