OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

New member Introduction Thread

Started by Senshi, 09/28/2011, 06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senshi

Most internet forums I visit have these and I think its a good thing. Most new members that find there way here post an introduction post but place it wherever because "they didn't see where they should do this". Can we have an official "introduce yourself" section? or even a pinned topic? something so it doesn't get put in random places.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

SMF

Yes this would have been good to have when I joined a year ago, Infact my 1 year just passed a few weeks ago.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

UglyJoe

I searched for a while for such a thread before making my own intro thread, just to make sure I wouldn't look like a doofus for missing it.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Shrapnoid

Okay. Looks like I finally found the Intro thread or one of them at least.

Okay. So, I have a Turbo Duo, 58 HuCards, 7 Turbo-CD's, 9 Super CD's a few other odds and ends and I've been collecting on and off since 1993.
I started in late 1990 to early 1991 with a brand new TG16 that I payed about $160.00 for.
I chose it because it seemed to be more bang for the buck over Sega's entry into the 16-bit market.
I settled on Vigilante for my free mail order game because I loved playing it at the arcade.

I only succeeded in collecting a few more games for that console before selling it off.
I missed it shortly afterward and as soon as the Duo came out, I worked my butt, off to save up for it.
I still have the box and instructions as well as some of the boxes to my games.

After being dormant for a while, I've decided to get my old Duo out and start collecting again so, here I am.

If anyone still wants to give me the noob test then, have at it. I'm game.

-Shrap

NecroPhile

Bernie

Welcome Shrapnoid!  Nice collection you got there.  Need more games!!!  :) How is your Duo working?  Most of em have issues at this point, that can be repaired right here by people in this forum.

Shrapnoid

Thanks. It's good to be here. I can't believe how big this place has gotten. I'm really impressed.
Yes. I do indeed need more games and I wont be satisfied until I have every single U.S. game in mint to near mint condition w/manuals, sleeves, perfect labels, boxes and all.

I'm thinking about even picking up additional system variants and some PC-Engine games as well.

I miss it all. I miss it all so, much. I even miss walking up and down the aisles, impatiently, trying to side which game or games to get on a limited amount of cash!

Such a bitter-sweet feeling.

EDIT: Ooops! Almost forgot. My Duo is doing pretty good for it's age and I baby her a lot more than any other console I have.
Early on, a few days after I picker her up, I did a really, really, REALLY stupid thing.
I set it on the carpet when I played it and kept wandering why the CD games would quit spinning.
I also stored it under the slot of a desk or something, directly on the carpet one day before going to work in order to hide it from some destructive nephews that were supposed to visit that day.

It wasn't until a lady at T.T.I. warned me about the whole static electricity erasing RAM story that I began to keep every piece of hardware and software under my roof away from carpet, clothing and etc.

Still there was some kind of damage done. The CD-ROM's accessing became slower and sometimes it would even get stuck when switching between tracks at which point I had to tap the console with my finger to get it going again.

Since I've got it hooked back up, the only problems I've had are with A/V out, causing the sound to fade in and out but, I figure that that could just be dust on the input jack and plugs.

The only other problem with it is that it refuses to play replicated CD's because the last time I had it out, I tried cleaning the lens with a soft cloth because my lens-cleaning CD was warn out. I guess I must've scratched it a little without knowing it.
Depending on where you stand when it comes to replication, I guess some may see that as a good thing since it still plays normal games just fine.

It may not be tiptop but, it's my baby.      

roflmao

Welcome Shrapniod!  The issues you have with the Duo are pretty common.  There are folks here that can mod your console to add composite plugs to bypass the original cable to fix the intermittent sound issue.  Also, folks here can replace the lens, but I have a PC Engine Duo with a new lens and it STILL doesn't like to read burned CDs.  (It reads real discs fine though) That's not a deal breaker to me though. :)

Good luck getting everything complete.  Be prepared to pay out the wazoo!  Maybe you'll come to your senses, get your Duo region modded and buy PC Engine versions of games that aren't text heavy (often for a fraction of the cost), like us real fans.  :P

esteban

:cook: Welcome, comrade.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Shrapnoid

Thanks again for the welcome.

Mod my Duo? I-I just can't do that. I know it's an inanimate object, just a material item but, I just can't bear the thought of customizing it.
It's a sentimental thing. I've been through a lot with that console. I know it's not right to *love* a machine but, I do have a certain measure of love for that one in particular above all of my consoles.
It's the queen of my collection and the others are just...uh...um...plain ol' harem girls by comparison if that makes any sense.

I'm glad that you brought up the composite video mod though because I had an idea for that recently after reading about others doing A/V upgrades.

I don't truly expect it to work but, I like to experiment and try to find ways to make mods work as cheap as possible so, I started doing a few searches on different types of RCA-based plugs and adapters and I found out that there is a composite adapter plug with a 3.5mm plug on the other end and that lead me to wondering...

Here's a pic to show the idea. Maybe someone who understands this stuff better than me can tell me whether or not this will work and save me a trip to RadioShack.

Senshi

Welcome Shrapnoid. Perhaps this thread will just serve as the intro thread...lol.

Ash

Shrapnoid

Yes. I guess so. I should have took the time to find the part of the forum where that sort of thing is discussed and posted the pic there.
I know better. I guess I was just being lazy.
Sorry about that. 

DemonDaze

Hey everyone! I just joined and I love it already. I work with MotherGunner and he told me about this site, so I decided to sign up. It's good to be a part of a TG-16 community. Such an underrated console.
Porkchop Sandwiches!

MotherGunner

Quote from: DemonDaze on 01/25/2012, 04:53 PMHey everyone! I just joined and I love it already. I work with MotherGunner and he told me about this site, so I decided to sign up. It's good to be a part of a TG-16 community. Such an underrated console.
I am a MotherGunner and I approve this message.

IMG
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard, DemonDaze.

Quote from: DemonDaze on 01/25/2012, 04:53 PMI work with MotherGunner.
I'm sorry.  :D

Shrapnoid

Quote from: DemonDaze on 01/25/2012, 04:53 PMHey everyone! I just joined and I love it already. I work with MotherGunner and he told me about this site, so I decided to sign up. It's good to be a part of a TG-16 community.
Welcome to the REAL next level.

Quote from: DemonDaze on 01/25/2012, 04:53 PMSuch an underrated console.
You have know idea...

esteban

Quote from: DemonDaze on 01/25/2012, 04:53 PMHey everyone! I just joined and I love it already. I work with MotherGunner and he told me about this site, so I decided to sign up. It's good to be a part of a TG-16 community. Such an underrated console.
Welcome, my friend.  IMG

MotherGunner

When I found out Demon is like the ONLY other Turbo fan I know in a company of 3,000 employees (and that's just our site) I had to make him join.  For years he's been a HuCard gamer and I'm telling him to get a DUO-R and jump on some CD games.  I even set him up with a printout of the Zonk shades in his cube for good measure.  *fist to chest* Represent!
-MG

blowback

I've joined fairly recently as well. I currently have the following set-up TG16 with 15 games, PCE & Core Grafx & Core Grafx 2 with about 120 games, and a PC-FX with about 18 games. So far I love this site. The info here even helped me fix a problem my FX was having.

MotherGunner

Welcome Blowback.  Why do you call yourself that?  Into airsoft? Rockert Launchers?  =)
-MG

blowback

Quote from: MotherGunner on 01/29/2012, 08:33 PMWhy do you call yourself that? 
Cause all the good stuff was taken.  LOL.

RBT

Hello everyone, I have been browsing the site and forum for the past few weeks so I decided it was time I joined up. I have never owned a PC Engine/TG-16 before but my local retro shop will be getting a shipment from Japan in the next couple of weeks and there is a Core Grafx with my name on it. :D
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets."

MotherGunner

What's up Arby (if I can call you that).  Welcome.  Get that core grafx modded and start gaming on both U.S. and PCE titles.

The techies here will give you a decent price.
-MG

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard, Robby (if I can call you that  :D ).

RBT

You guys can call me any variation of Robert you like but RBT is fine :wink: As for modding the Core Grafx that is already on my to do list.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets."

NecroPhile

turbokon

Welcome Demondaze!!

I've ran into the only other pc-engine/turbo fan other then myself the other day here in Wichita, ks. I  was checking out some retro gaming at a locale pawnshop and one of the store manager owns a pc-engine duo-r. We started talking and I told him about this site. Hope to see him seen here.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Ash

welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

VenomMacbeth

Well, I did a bit of rifling through some old threads, and decided it was best for me to go ahead and actually introduce myself for a change.  :D

As indicated by my first post here (on the "PC Engine for sale/wanted" section) I don't currently own a Turbografx/PC Engine.  It wasn't until very recently I actually decided I wanted one.  I've only been really into the retro gaming for a few months now, though I've been a gamer since the 32/64-bit era (I was born right smack in the middle of the 16-bit era, IE too young to appreciate it.)  I own an Xbox 360, a Wii, PS1, N64, and an SNES, but I've recently added to my retro console ranks with an NES, Master System, Genesis, and an Atari 2600.  I'm hoping to get a PC Engine soon, so I can start "shootin'-it-up" (shmupping? lol). 

For about as long as I've been into video gaming, I've been a pretty die-hard Nintendo fan, and in my early days, I was quite prejudice against Sega/Playstation/etc.  Recently, however, I've been more accommodating to other game developers, as Nintendo's most recent offerings have been somewhat disappointing as compared to the Xbox 360.  All that being said, I won't go around waving a "Nintendo is superior" flag like a herpaderp. 

There's a bunch more I could say, a la reasons I want to get into NEC consoles, but I mainly just wanted to introduce myself so you guys don't think I'm just on here just to buy a PC Engine.  :D
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

roflmao

PunkCryborg

VenomMacbeth, you can play some games on your new systems to "get a fix" before you find a nice PCE. You gotta play some Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder and Soldier Blade if you like shooters

Spooniest

Un...less I'm misunderstanding, it's customary for me to introduce myself, I guess?

I'm a hard rock guitarist (think Joe Perry) with a penchant for playing obscene amounts of video games. I smoke like a chimney and have dark eyes and careless hair, I'm fashionably sensitive but too coooool to care...you probably should ignore that last bit.

Zeppelin rules!
Yamero~~!

Senshi

Lol Spooniest welcome, i like the honesty.

P.S.

Any reason why this thread can't get a sticky?

nat

majors

Quote from: Spooniest on 02/04/2012, 09:18 PMI'm a hard rock guitarist
Into music, check.

Quote from: Spooniest on 02/04/2012, 09:18 PMI smoke like a chimney
American Spirit?

Quote from: Spooniest on 02/04/2012, 09:18 PMcareless hair
How long in the morning does it take you to get your "careless" hair look?

Quote from: Spooniest on 02/04/2012, 09:18 PMbut too coooool to care...[snip]...Zeppelin rules!
Hipster radar is gong off, full klaxons!

Okay, I admit, that was a bit mean for an intro thread. Welcome regardless, here at PCFX we heal the Nin-fected and Sega-ick. First step of your healing proccess is to OBEY.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard, Venom and spoon.

Senshi

nat

Jeez, don't let it ruin your day!

If we're going to have a stickied "New Member Intro" thread, the "Comments and Suggestions" forum isn't the correct place.

"Chit-Chat" would be the more appropriate forum.

Senshi

I think you're right. Thanks for the response.

esteban

IMGWelcome, comrades. :)

Quote from: RBT on 02/01/2012, 03:53 PMHello everyone, I have been browsing the site and forum for the past few weeks so I decided it was time I joined up. I have never owned a PC Engine/TG-16 before but my local retro shop will be getting a shipment from Japan in the next couple of weeks and there is a Core Grafx with my name on it. :D
RBT, you have chosen wisely. The CoreGrafx = perfect introduction to the wonderful world of PCE :)

Quote from: blowback on 01/29/2012, 08:09 PMI've joined fairly recently as well. I currently have the following set-up TG16 with 15 games, PCE & Core Grafx & Core Grafx 2 with about 120 games, and a PC-FX with about 18 games. So far I love this site. The info here even helped me fix a problem my FX was having.
Damn, PC-FX? Now the "newbies" are making me feel bad. I need to re-purchase a PC-FX. Just kidding about the "newbie" comment, since you clearly have a solid footing in the PCE world :)

Quote from: Spooniest on 02/04/2012, 09:18 PMUn...less I'm misunderstanding, it's customary for me to introduce myself, I guess?

I'm a hard rock guitarist (think Joe Perry) with a penchant for playing obscene amounts of video games. I smoke like a chimney and have dark eyes and careless hair, I'm fashionably sensitive but too coooool to care...you probably should ignore that last bit.

Zeppelin rules!
You realize that you are now obligated to record a PCE-centric tune on your guitar, right? Well, no, but you should strongly consider it. Personally, I would love any chiptune rendered on a guitar.

No pressure, of course. Just have fun playing PCE/TG-16.  8)

Also, if you have a few $$$$ to burn (or a fan of shoot-em-ups), pick up God Panic for an homage of Stairway to Heaven. Also, I'm sure you know about Led Zeppelin and the artists they "borrowed" ideas from, yes?

Otherwise, I can share an mp3 of the God Panic track. It isn't amazing, but it is a bonafide PCE~Zeppelin connection. How many of those connections exist, on any platform?  :-k

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 02/04/2012, 02:53 AMWell, I did a bit of rifling through some old threads, and decided it was best for me to go ahead and actually introduce myself for a change.  :D

As indicated by my first post here (on the "PC Engine for sale/wanted" section) I don't currently own a Turbografx/PC Engine.  It wasn't until very recently I actually decided I wanted one.  I've only been really into the retro gaming for a few months now, though I've been a gamer since the 32/64-bit era (I was born right smack in the middle of the 16-bit era, IE too young to appreciate it.)  I own an Xbox 360, a Wii, PS1, N64, and an SNES, but I've recently added to my retro console ranks with an NES, Master System, Genesis, and an Atari 2600.  I'm hoping to get a PC Engine soon, so I can start "shootin'-it-up" (shmupping? lol). 

For about as long as I've been into video gaming, I've been a pretty die-hard Nintendo fan, and in my early days, I was quite prejudice against Sega/Playstation/etc.  Recently, however, I've been more accommodating to other game developers, as Nintendo's most recent offerings have been somewhat disappointing as compared to the Xbox 360.  All that being said, I won't go around waving a "Nintendo is superior" flag like a herpaderp. 

There's a bunch more I could say, a la reasons I want to get into NEC consoles, but I mainly just wanted to introduce myself so you guys don't think I'm just on here just to buy a PC Engine.  :D
Even though you are just a little child, we still welcome you. I'm sure there are particular games you are interested in playing (assuming you haven't tried some via emulation already). Whilst waiting for the real hardware, I think it is well-worth plunking down a few dollars to play Dynastic Hero or Bonk 3 on Wii VC, for example.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but there are plenty of cheap titles that are tons of fun, should $$$ be an issue.  :idea:

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: esteban on 02/07/2012, 11:27 AMEven though you are just a little child, we still welcome you. I'm sure there are particular games you are interested in playing (assuming you haven't tried some via emulation already). Whilst waiting for the real hardware, I think it is well-worth plunking down a few dollars to play Dynastic Hero or Bonk 3 on Wii VC, for example.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but there are plenty of cheap titles that are tons of fun, should $$$ be an issue.  :idea:
I've been playing a few Turbo games on my iphone, but touch controls have nothing on a real pad, of course.  Oh, and...'little child'?  Really?  I'm nearly 21, man...so child, yes.  Little?  Not so much anymore.  :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the welcome esteban, and everyone else!
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 02/07/2012, 12:49 PM
Quote from: esteban on 02/07/2012, 11:27 AMEven though you are just a little child, we still welcome you. I'm sure there are particular games you are interested in playing (assuming you haven't tried some via emulation already). Whilst waiting for the real hardware, I think it is well-worth plunking down a few dollars to play Dynastic Hero or Bonk 3 on Wii VC, for example.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but there are plenty of cheap titles that are tons of fun, should $$$ be an issue.  :idea:
I've been playing a few Turbo games on my iphone, but touch controls have nothing on a real pad, of course.  Oh, and...'little child'?  Really?  I'm nearly 21, man...so child, yes.  Little?  Not so much anymore.  :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the welcome esteban, and everyone else!
Indeed. Indeed.

Don't let the other folks hear this, but I would get PCE > NES > Genesis before worrying about SMS and Atari.

Actually, NES/Famicom has the best friggin' library in the universe. So many wonderful games to explore.

I've tried the touch controls on the iPhone emulation and although it works, I never feel "at ease" when playing. It stresses me out.

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: esteban on 02/08/2012, 12:49 AMIndeed. Indeed.

Don't let the other folks hear this, but I would get PCE > NES > Genesis before worrying about SMS and Atari.

Actually, NES/Famicom has the best friggin' library in the universe. So many wonderful games to explore.

I've tried the touch controls on the iPhone emulation and although it works, I never feel "at ease" when playing. It stresses me out.
I totally agree with you about the NES games, of which I have 32, more than any other console I own.  The games are mostly cheap, the more expensive ones costing about as much as a PCE game.  Some of the Famicom games can cost you an arm and a leg, unless you can find pirate versions (which I did! :D)  

So far, though, the NES and the Genny have been my favorites.  Sooo many good games for the Genesis!  I'm currently trying to get into the Thunder Force series (I have TFII, but I want III and ESPECIALLY "Lightening" Force!)  

The SMS suffers from having a relatively small library, but they have enough "holy grails" for me to make it worth collecting for.  Plus, the console itself is teh sex.

Atari suffers from the games being...well...small.  Asteroids is great.  Defender is great.  Galaxian is awesome, as are Phoenix and Demon Attack. The many shmups on the system are loads of fun...just for about 5 minutes.  Occasionally I'll sit for a good hour or two racking up a high score on Asteroids, though...

As for the touch controls, they're doable considering every game I own is either a shmup, Mortal Kombat, or Sonic the Hedgehog, but I definitely get what you mean.  Raiden is a BITCH to play with the touch controls...thank god for save states. -_-
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Muyfa666

Hi fellas. Thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a easy going dude who's been around for 30-ish years now. Have loved video gaming since the lovely NES-era. Right now, I'm spreading my time between a 5-month daughter (and the wifey of course), my work, video games and ever so often single malt whisky. Basically the good stuff in life. :-)

So eh... hi!

Samurai Ghost

Welcome! Hope you enjoy this great community!

nectarsis

Welcome :)

Quote from: Muyfa666 on 02/24/2012, 01:19 AMand ever so often single malt whisky
^ Waits for le tats to notice LOL
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

esteban

Quote from: Muyfa666 on 02/24/2012, 01:19 AMHi fellas. Thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a easy going dude who's been around for 30-ish years now. Have loved video gaming since the lovely NES-era. Right now, I'm spreading my time between a 5-month daughter (and the wifey of course), my work, video games and ever so often single malt whisky. Basically the good stuff in life. :-)

So eh... hi!
Welcome, comrade IMG

I'm juggling 7 month-old twins (newest additions to family), so I know how fleeting time can be  :pcds:.

NecroPhile