10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The SNES (shitty nintenderp excrement system) Hate Thread

Started by VenomMacbeth, 08/13/2013, 01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabberwok

Lol!!! so I did a typo  #-o

But yeah, those... we could start those 'beasts' manually by putting the crankshaft lever in front of the car & turning like a madman...

I think we can start the SNES the same way correct?  :-"

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

turboswimbz

Quote from: Jabberwok on 09/10/2013, 02:47 PMLol!!! so I did a typo  #-o

But yeah, those... we could start those 'beasts' manually by putting the crankshaft lever in front of the car & turning like a madman...

I think we can start the SNES the same way correct?  :-"
I like the idea of playing your snes like you crank up one of those flashlights. lol. 

gaming on the go for real.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Arjak

While I do not hate the SNES, I do agree that it's one of the more overrated consoles, and I don't mean that just because I grew up with a Sega Genesis. A lot of people (especially fanboys) claim that the SNES was the "gre@e$t con$ole EV@R!!!!!1111" while bashing the Genesis and Turbo for not being tuff e'nuff, all to the point where I start to wonder if they think the SNES can cure cancer.

If it's so great, why do I have more love for the Genesis and Turbo?

There are a lot of great titles for the SNES, but I feel like the libraries of the Genesis and Turbo are just more...inspired. All most people seem to remember about the SNES are the classic RPGs and a few action/adventure titles. Most of the rest of the library goes unnoticed, whereas Genny and Turbob have classic games in MANY genres. I actually wonder, now that I think about it, if the reason the SNES had so many RPGs was because it was so hard to program good action games for it.

The one thing that truly gets me though is when Pier Solar, a remarkable achievement for homebrew, was finally released for the Sega Genesis after years in development, and all the little fanboy twats could ask about is "When is it coming out for SNES?" and I just want to say, "Go buy a Genesis off eBay, YOU DUMB FUCKS! They're quite cheap, last time I checked, and if you REALLY wanted to play this game, you would! You're not even true gamers. You're just a bunch of little zombified fanboys who are stuck in the early '90s, pretending that maybe, if you jerk off hard enough, you'll stay relevant. Take off the rose-colored glasses, move the FUCK on, and play a game because you WANT to, not because it's for the closest thing you have to a lover!"

This also upsets me because SNES boyz love to make fun of the lack of RPGs on Genesis. Do you know why they want Pier Solar on SNES? I think it's because they're jealous.

Fanboys also love to inflate the power of the SNES sound chip. If it's so much better, explain to me why Ys 3, a game with one of the best soundtracks ever, sounds horrible on that system. A good sound chip doesn't mean shit if you can't make it sing well, and from what I've heard, the SNES sound chip was quite hard to program for.

Also, just so I can turn an old joke around: The SNES sucks, because it can't play Gate of Thunder!
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

geise

Arjak

LOL, that box art gets me every time! Only Jaleco would have the balls to do something that cheesy! Weren't they also the makers of the NES game Totally Rad?

Jabberwok

SuperNES's sound chip better? On paper it is. BUT... why does Genesis's Earthworm Jim sounds a million times better than the SNES one?

Conspiracy I tell you!!!!!!

Jabberwok

Oh, and the drum beats of Gauntlet IV? try to beat that snessers... That one's personal I give you that, but no one can deny that those songs are really solid, they sound really drummy... comparable drum beats on the SNES always have that faint hissing analog sound that's somewhat out of place...

wildfruit

Quote from: Jabberwok on 09/11/2013, 03:36 PMOh, and the drum beats of Gauntlet IV? try to beat that snessers... That one's personal I give you that, but no one can deny that those songs are really solid, they sound really drummy... comparable drum beats on the SNES always have that faint hissing analog sound that's somewhat out of place...
I concur
Thunderforce 4, streets of rage 2 etc etc...MD sounds excellent when programmer knew how to use it

Joe Redifer

Quote from: geise on 09/11/2013, 11:20 AMIMG
So assuming you file your boxes in alphabetical order, where do you put this one? In the T section for Tuff E Nuff or under H for Hey?

Mathius

HercTNT

Quote from: Jabberwok on 09/08/2013, 04:16 PMBut... isn't calling everything super lacking conviction? I mean why pat yourself on the back? no one was doing it Nintendo?

Then again I wonder if Super Nintendo is better than say NES-16 or Nintendo-thing-a-ma-jig? Or for the tech savvy out there the Nintendo-16-bit-cpu-based-on-an-8-bit-cpu-architecture?

Super? who knows... Good games? depends on who you ask. RPG's? yes please! Fast paced games? get away from me! Earthbound? fun game. Is it worth that much? to each his own, one man's trash is another man's treasure...

Seriously though, one's love (or hatred) for the system & it's games has nothing to do with the company behind it. I mean look at Volkswagen...

Personally for me the SuperNES is like a Ferrari with a Hugo engine inside it. Vast potential crippled with tiny power. Imagine the exact same system with say a 7MHz cpu... see?

So hummm yeah... that was a "Super" post, totally unNEScessary...

You guys are all "Super" btw... Enough with the superNESness... ess...
for the record Games and hardware with the title "super" in it were hardly a nintendo invention. here are just a few atari 2600 games that were called super for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_2600_games

The atari also had a device called the "super charger" that allow for games to be loaded from tape that were superior to most other atari games. And it was super :)

CrackTiger

That tuff guy wants you to master the moves to master him(!).

He also has strands of white goo hanging between his teeth.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esadajr

It has great games, is fun to play. Still I agree is overrated.

Is the console I "collect" the least for.
Gaming since 1985

Otaking

Haven't read the whole hating thread but all I have to say is that the SNES/Super Famicom game library is the greatest of all time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Nando

The SNES just lucked out that it had the NES to stand on and more colors for the artist to choose from.  "First" to market in the US and hideous licensing deals let it stay #1

Not to mention that all those talented designers, artist, and developers cut their teeth with the vastly superior PCE.

Damn RIGHT!

Arkhan Asylum

Earthbound is retarded.  It was an asshair on the SNES library when it came out.

Most of the gaming populace gave 0 fucks about it until Smash Bros came out and people were like WAIT, THIS DUMB LOOKING KID IS FROM A GAME?  WHAT GAME?

OH DANG. ITS RETROBES.  I NEEDS IT. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

BlueBMW

I grew up loving the SNES, so my opinion on it is probably biased a bit.  It does have some of my favorite 16 bit era games on it...

Fzero
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Super Mario World

I'm in a minority that really likes the art style / feel of the Donkey Kong Country games... I know everyone seems to hate on the whole prerendered sprites thing, but I love it.

My favorite "level" ever....
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

roflmao

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/21/2013, 07:09 PMI'm in a minority that really likes the art style / feel of the Donkey Kong Country games... I know everyone seems to hate on the whole prerendered sprites thing, but I love it.

My favorite "level" ever....
That's awesome how the you can see the snow falling in the background before it comes to the foreground.  Way cool!

VestCunt

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/21/2013, 07:09 PMI grew up loving the SNES, so my opinion on it is probably biased a bit.
Ditto, but I feel the opposite and now wonder what I ever saw in it. I think the SNES was just a stopgap between NES/SMS and when I could finally afford a Duo in '97 (and found a store that carried games).

I played a ton of SNES, but it was never good enough to pull me away from 8-bit. I continued to play NES RPG's over the kiddie crap on SNES.

Looking at my shelf, I still enjoy the first-party titles (SMW, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Stunt Race, Star Fox), but all of the other games I thought I loved on the SNES are invariably ports or variations done better on other systems (Ys III, R-Type, Street Fighter, Sim City, Ultima VI, Civilization, Super Bomberman 1-2, Eye Beholder, etc.)

Besides 1st-party support, the one area I'll give the SNES props is its library of multiplayer games. Most aren't a technical feat, but I really appreciate the fact that so many solid beat-em-ups, racers, and party games came out for the SNES. Multiplayer is probably the only genre that benefited from the SNES' dumbed-down, family-friendly, commercial appeal. I've logged more hours next to a friend on the SNES than any other system.
Topic Adjourned.

Mathius

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/21/2013, 07:09 PMI grew up loving the SNES, so my opinion on it is probably biased a bit.  It does have some of my favorite 16 bit era games on it...

Fzero
Pilotwings
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Super Mario World

I'm in a minority that really likes the art style / feel of the Donkey Kong Country games... I know everyone seems to hate on the whole prerendered sprites thing, but I love it.
I am sure I have gushed about F-Zero and Pilotwings before. These two games along with Actraiser formed the soundtrack of my early teens. I can't thank the SNES enough for all the great Friday nights.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 10/21/2013, 06:11 PMEarthbound is retarded.  It was an asshair on the SNES library when it came out.

Most of the gaming populace gave 0 fucks about it until Smash Bros came out and people were like WAIT, THIS DUMB LOOKING KID IS FROM A GAME?  WHAT GAME?

I never understood why people want a game like Earthbound that a guy like me rented it and finished it in a weekend. Had a opportunity to get it though for 5 bucks at the rental store back on the 90s (even came with a smelly monster sticker) but even then it wasn't worthwhile.  Now Robotrek that's a cool game.  ;)

Mathius

I love Earthbound. Great atmosphere and music. Too bad collectors have killed the game's original reputations and forced it into the spotlight.

roflmao

Quote from: Mathius on 10/21/2013, 10:48 PMI love Earthbound. Great atmosphere and music. Too bad collectors have killed the game's original reputations and forced it into the spotlight.
Agreed.  It's NOT a >$100 game, but it has a lot of charm.  It's thoroughly tongue-in-cheek, which I love.

Arjak

Quote from: Mathius on 10/21/2013, 10:48 PMI love Earthbound. Great atmosphere and music. Too bad collectors have killed the game's original reputations and forced it into the spotlight.
You know what? Fuck "rare" game collectors/resellers in general! They are leaches, preying on our nostalgia and gullibility, forcing us to pay multiple times what a game is worth, just so we can have a little fun with a system. They hype certain systems that they know will get people's hearts and/or greed racing, just so they have an excuse to sell their "rare" stuff at arm-and-leg prices. They cheat people, sometimes with fakes, even! Sometimes, I look for a game I'm interested in on eBay, and I just want to slap those motherfuckers in the face the game is so overpriced.

Then, idiots who also have the game think it's really worth that much and try to get some money too, and before you know it, the game is "rare" and worth hundreds of dollars, not because it really is rare, but because it costs a stupid amount to get, because these little shits are trying to get rich off of our love of gaming. These people need to burn in hell for their greed.

EvilEvoIX

SNES had a massive life span and survived well into the 32-bit era.  It's a fun system and I'm so close to beating Super Contra which steals time from me.  It's IMHO the best at RPG's of the three systems save for the Sega CD.  I don't hate the SNES, loving Yoshi Island what a work of art, F/Zero is great, just a classic system.  I prefer the MD, but that doesn't mean the SNES is a POS.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Xak

I hate Dracula X. and I dont know why Castlevania 4 is so praised. and I LOVE Castlevania 1 for NES,  MSX and even Castlevania 2 (2013 map hack / retranslated)
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

bob

esteban

SNES and SFC are fucking awesome and only pussies beating their chests in bravado would say otherwise.

RESPECT IS DUE, you pussies.

Now suck my left one.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bob

Quote from: esteban on 10/26/2013, 09:56 PMNow suck my left one.
I'll do it, but you have to doodle it during the act.

esteban

Quote from: galam on 10/26/2013, 10:00 PM
Quote from: esteban on 10/26/2013, 09:56 PMNow suck my left one.
I'll do it, but you have to doodle it during the act.
We have a date! Ark can film it, since he's into that sort of thing.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/26/2013, 05:37 PMIt's IMHO the best at RPG's of the three systems save for the Sega CD.
if you talking strictly US, then it's def. a yes. but if taking the PCE into considerations, then I would even say the PCE wins. soo many good stuff in such a high quality for its time.

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/26/2013, 05:37 PMand I'm so close to beating Super Contra which steals time from me.
that game you beat (1cc) on an after noon after 1st time playing.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

MrFulci

Quote from: guest on 10/21/2013, 06:11 PMEarthbound is retarded.  It was an asshair on the SNES library when it came out.

Earthbound, I remember Toys R Us had it in a glass (plexi?) display case, I guess because it was int hat big box. I bought one when it was marked down to $20 or so. So, I bought it new.

I didn't care much about the game, played through it once, and that was it. Years later, as with most of my SNES stuff, I gave it away. I don't quite get the hype of it. If I gave it a go, now, maybe I would think differently. Who knows.

The SNES had some games I enjoyed playing. The pack-in game, Super Mario World, was good fun. I probably played that more, than any other games I bought for the system. I also played Populous a lot on the SNES. One of the best $6 game purchases I made for that system. I got my money's worth.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

SamIAm

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/27/2013, 02:08 AMif you talking strictly US, then it's def. a yes. but if taking the PCE into considerations, then I would even say the PCE wins. soo many good stuff in such a high quality for its time.
One perspective I read on a Japanese review site that rang true:

The PCE-CD gave the SNES a run for its money in RPGs, until 1994. By then, the cart sizes had increased enough that the CD wasn't such a huge advantage, and over the next two years Square/Enix would put out out some of their most popular stuff ever. Meanwhile, on the PCE, there was a last hurrah of Ys IV, Emerald Dragon and Xanadu 1 in early 1994, but then things got pretty dry.

Otaking

Quote from: esteban on 10/26/2013, 09:56 PMSNES and SFC are fucking awesome and only pussies beating their chests in bravado would say otherwise.

RESPECT IS DUE, you pussies.

Now suck my left one.
+1

SNES haters suck my right one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Emerald Rocker

I didn't read all ten pages, but figured I should give props to the topic creator for being so very right.  There's no game on the SNES that benefitted from being on the SNES -- every single one of them would have been better on Genesis or Turbo CD.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 10/27/2013, 10:32 PMI didn't read all ten pages, but figured I should give props to the topic creator for being so very right.  There's no game on the SNES that benefitted from being on the SNES -- every single one of them would have been better on Genesis or Turbo CD.
You didn't miss much, just a bunch of SNErds nursing on their beloved nintendick.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/27/2013, 02:08 AM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/26/2013, 05:37 PMIt's IMHO the best at RPG's of the three systems save for the Sega CD.
if you talking strictly US, then it's def. a yes. but if taking the PCE into considerations, then I would even say the PCE wins. soo many good stuff in such a high quality for its time.

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/26/2013, 05:37 PMand I'm so close to beating Super Contra which steals time from me.
I can't think of an RPG better than Chrono Trigger from that Era, I'm dying to see what Samurai Showdown RPG is all about, could someone finish translation of it yet?
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

CrackTiger

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 10/28/2013, 06:00 PM

I can't think of an RPG better than Chrono Trigger from that Era, I'm dying to see what Samurai Showdown RPG is all about, could someone finish translation of it yet?
Have you played many RPGs from that era?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 10/28/2013, 06:46 PM

probably only the very few on the western SNES :idea:
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/28/2013, 07:54 PM

We obviously didn't get as many as Japan received, but the ones we did get overshadowed most that were left behind. Secret of Mana 2 notwithstanding.

BigusSchmuck

Uh seriously? I remember playing lots of good rpgs from that era. Super Mario RPG, Dragon Quest 6, Tales of Phantasia. However, at that time I was more into Pc games like Hereos of Might and Magic. Man it would have been cool to see it in the Turbo Super Cd.

BlueBMW

Ahh Heroes of Might and Magic.... what a wonderful series.   I cant count how many hours (days) I've poured into those games...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

EvilEvoIX

FF's on the SNES, I know Zelda doesn't really count as an RPG and is more of an Action Adventure game but Link to the past could be best, Chrono Trigger is just pure awesome.  Music, grafx, attacks, it's the best IMHO.
IMGIMGIMG

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/28/2013, 07:54 PM

I played what I had access too, I didn't start importing stuff until ebay and most of that was Neo Geo Stuff.
IMGIMGIMG

Tatsujin

EvilEvoIX

Why all the Chrono Trigger hate?  It's such a good game, plus this is just preference, no one can prove over all superiority of these games especially on the RPG genre which relies heavily on the story and fighting system.  Have I played all 16 BIT era RPG's?  No not by a long shot, but to me Chrono Trigger has it all, I love the music, the Graphical Style,  I'm a sucker for Time Travel,  14 endings, being able to run through the game from the beginning after beating it with all your new found powers intact, mixing all your characters super powers for one combined fatal attack, it's great, no flames needed.  Looking back history has been EXTREMELY kind to the game as well.  Now that said someone tell me some PCE RPG's I should pick up and I'll run through them see if I am swayed.

I understand this is a PCE site and many gamers on this forum will lean towards PCE titles so maybe I can start playing these games in the future but for now Chrono Trigger has my vote.
IMGIMGIMG

CGQuarterly

Quote from: guest on 08/17/2013, 01:38 AM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 08/13/2013, 01:00 AMalmost all the decent games for it are way overpriced.
I know Venom is being sarcastic, but I always love reading snerds sob about how their games are expensive. Like what, they didn't have a chance to complete their wantlist over the last two decades? The SNES was so obscure they needed youtube to discover it? Local stores didn't carry it? Give me a break. Complaining about SNES prices in 2013 is like waiting to buy plane tickets until you get to the airport - you should have done that shit ages ago. 

Anyone bitching about SNES prices today is automatically an asshole. They're either a CIB/VGA collector, a snot-nosed millennial late to the potluck, or an idiot for selling their childhood collection ten years ago and crawling back.
I know I'm late to the party, but holy fuck is this the best post in this thread.  Maybe the best post on PCEFX.

Tatsujin

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 10/29/2013, 01:51 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/17/2013, 01:38 AM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 08/13/2013, 01:00 AMalmost all the decent games for it are way overpriced.
I know Venom is being sarcastic, but I always love reading snerds sob about how their games are expensive. Like what, they didn't have a chance to complete their wantlist over the last two decades? The SNES was so obscure they needed youtube to discover it? Local stores didn't carry it? Give me a break. Complaining about SNES prices in 2013 is like waiting to buy plane tickets until you get to the airport - you should have done that shit ages ago. 

Anyone bitching about SNES prices today is automatically an asshole. They're either a CIB/VGA collector, a snot-nosed millennial late to the potluck, or an idiot for selling their childhood collection ten years ago and crawling back.
I know I'm late to the party, but holy fuck is this the best post in this thread.  Maybe the best post on PCEFX.

Hahaha, true. This post is full of pure win, nailed down to the very point on the best possiblest way.