RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Cool article on the Development of the Sega 3D Classics games

Started by xcrement5x, 12/05/2013, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcrement5x

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/03/sega-3d-classics-%E2%80%93-3d-sonic-the-hedgehog-interview-with-developer-m2/?6866309=1

This article was a very neat read on the development they did for the new 3DS classic Sonic game.

Apparently one of the things they had to do to build the new 3D versions of the games they released was make a beefed up MegaDrive concept they called the GigaDrive and build out additional effects using the extra specs.  In one part they actually liken it to the SuperGrafx actually.   Not to spoil the article, but a lot of what it does is adding a z-index to many of the different planes in the game.

There's another cool part where they talk about trying to add in the spin dash for Sonic (since the original didn't have it) and they wound up having to do all sorts of crazy legwork. 

Overall, it's worth the time to read, despite being Feka :P
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jeffhlewis

The Space Harrier 3D interview was good as well - it's amazing how much attention to detail these guys put into the game!

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/11/25/sega-3d-classics-space-harrier-3d-interview-with-developer-m2/

xcrement5x

Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 12/05/2013, 07:43 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/05/2013, 03:18 PMMissed it by that much.  :P
CURSES!!

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 12/05/2013, 03:55 PMThe Space Harrier 3D interview was good as well - it's amazing how much attention to detail these guys put into the game!

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/11/25/sega-3d-classics-space-harrier-3d-interview-with-developer-m2/
I didn't realized they did more, I'll have to read them!
lol am praising since month about 3D space harrier, super hang on and galaxy force II.. uber great stuff and buyworthy a 3DS just for those alone :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

I don't like how they chose Genesis Altered Beast because it has parallax. But the next game Streets of Rage, barely has ANY parallax. None in the first level. Sega tells me to wait and see the next interview to see how they got around that with Streets of Rage. I say they could have gotten around it with Altered Beast, too.

Playing Super Hang-On on the 3DS is tough with the tiny buttons and diamond layout.

Mzo

The diamond layout is only an issue if they map to the wrong buttons like A and B, something Nintendo loves to do.  Luckily M2 did it right.  Y and B can easily be handled with a thumb laying across them.

Space Harrier 3D is easily the best of these so far.  It's glorious.  Super Hang-On is fun and Sonic looks really sharp.  I don't know if I can bring myself to buy crap like Altered Beast again, but if anyone can entice me to it's M2.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

xcrement5x

Buuuump!

Sega has officially announced they're bringing out a physical collection of these to the US.  YEAH!!

http://3dclassics.sega.com/

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2016, 01:27 PMBuuuump!

Sega has officially announced they're bringing out a physical collection of these to the US.  YEAH!!

http://3dclassics.sega.com/
It looks like Space Harrier, After Burner, Outrun, and Super Hang On are not on there :/

SignOfZeta

IMG

Gredler

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/21/2016, 08:13 PMSo...the good ones. It leaves out the good ones.
That was my initial thought; it appears to be a move for releasing a second "good" compilation. I do think having Fantasy Zone II and Power Drift is almost worth it to me, and the other games are a nice bonus to those. I will probably support it despite my disagreement of their omission of games for the apparent reason of releasing a second compilation down the road..

In case people didn't want to check the site, here are the games included in the collection:
  • 7 Classic Games:
  • Power Drift
  • Puyo Puyo 2
  • Fantasy Zone II W
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Thunder Blade
  • Galaxy Force II
  • Altered Beast
  • 2 Bonus Games:
  • Fantasy Zone II
  • Maze Walker

wilykat

I guess I should be OK. I do have Space Harrier 3D on my 3DS (and yes in 3D) but why Sonic? They were available a couple times in the past on card and via download.

Gredler

Quote from: wilykat on 01/21/2016, 08:48 PMI guess I should be OK. I do have Space Harrier 3D on my 3DS (and yes in 3D) but why Sonic? They were available a couple times in the past on card and via download.
All of these games are not roms but re-worked and touched up versions. That sonic is a slightly different game than all of the other versions; that being said, I do not think it's enough to warrant the digital price tag, but I do think it's a nice bonus for a physical game.

In the case of Fantasy Zone, there are two "versions" one where they changed the game so dramatically they added a W. This is entirely speculative, but I think that's because the game is in ~16:9 while the original release was more or less 4:3. If I am right, that would have dramatic implications to the gameplay for a carousel style shooter like fantasy zone. These are modified releases and basically ports to 3DS not emulators running roms a la virtual console.

Digi.k

hope this makes it to the UK will buy!

and I hope they do a shining force and phantasy star collection and a phantasy star online for 3ds with wifi :Q

xcrement5x

Quote from: wilykat on 01/21/2016, 08:48 PMI guess I should be OK. I do have Space Harrier 3D on my 3DS (and yes in 3D) but why Sonic? They were available a couple times in the past on card and via download.
Yeah, I was really hoping Space Harrier 3D was going to be on this compilation, but I'm guessing they are spacing it out to do a second volume like the did in Japan.  Either way I'm going to grab this day one.

SignOfZeta

So is this all Mega Drive ports? It seems like Hang On and Outrun were left off because they were based on the arcade. I bought both of those and the attention to detail is beyond the beyond. I didn't think people that cool still worked at Sega. They (AM2) actually pulled machines out of storage just to mic the sounds of the pedals hitting the floor and stuff like that for this port.

I'm not really interested in some cheap Genesis shit, frankly. Altered Beast is garbage, every single version, making it 3D is going to entertain me for about 20 seconds...
IMG

Gredler

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/22/2016, 04:39 PMSo is this all Mega Drive ports?
I believe Power Drift was Arcade and Saturn game, and would hope that Puyo Puyo 2, Thunder Blade, and Galaxy Force II were ports of the arcade versions, not the inferior MD/Genesis versions. I also think that Maze Runner was arcade, but maybe it was only on Master System - I've never gotten far in that game because my eyes don't work well with the Master System 3D :P