HuZERO - a score attack PCE racing game FREE to download!

Started by ccovell, 11/21/2014, 10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccovell

Hey, folks.  I've been doing a little coding since February on a (fun?) little game that I call HuZERO.

IMG

Press the I button to accelerate, try to survive for 2 minutes, and try to get a high score.

My top score playing drunk is 65797 points...  ;-)

Download link:  HuZERO_by_Chris_Covell.zip

Happy playing!  If you get a high score, post a screenshot here: "HuZero - Caravan Edition" High Scores

Opethian

this is relevant to my interests. will try whence I get home.
IMG

touko

Wahou, technicaly really impressive, and fun to play, and very hard too ;-)

trapexit

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Caravan Edition, eh?  Does that mean you're planning on releasing a full game on disc too?

Please say yes.

My pants are tight.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

geise

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 11/21/2014, 01:38 PMCaravan Edition, eh?  Does that mean you're planning on releasing a full game on disc too?

Please say yes.

My pants are tight.
Something tells me Nintendo would be very not okay with that...not while that racer so strongly resemble's the 'falcon.  However, if it gets made for CDROM, I'll volunteer to do the music! :D I learned how to make electronic music by remixing F-Zero tunes.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

jtucci31

This is fantastic. My high score is only around 59k. Can't quite hit that 60k mark yet, but I'll chalk it up to using the Express as opposed to playing on the big screen. The tunes are great and so is everything else, especially whatever that opening thingy is.

esteban

Ok, now i really have to figure out how to use a damn flash card.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/21/2014, 04:07 PM
Quote from: esteban on 11/21/2014, 03:40 PMOk, now i really have to figure out how to use a damn flash card.
Suck it
I do, when it comes to flash cards.

Dicer

59727 on my third go, will keep goin, nice little game....

MAKE MORE!!!  :dance:

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 11/21/2014, 03:04 PMThe tunes are great and so is everything else, especially whatever that opening thingy is.
Yes, thanks for doing the Big Blue arrangement.

And that opening thingy says "CMC Games", using an old logo of mine from way back (the '80s/90s!!)

IMG

IMG

cabbage

Great surprise release, Chris! The scaling road effect turned out really nicely. It's full of so many cool little details that it just oozes charm, like all your works generally do. I love that rotation effect on the CMC logo--going to have to steal that one someday ;)

Here's my high score: (72374)

HuZERO72374.jpg

Quite the fun little game so I'll give it more time later and hopefully improve

FraGMarE

What the hell?  I got 64395 and hit the wall like 3 or 4 times.  The next 4 tries, I only hit the wall once and can't break 53K...

PunkCryborg

Now this is the kind of thing those blank hu cards need on them, not magical chase

Lochlan

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 11/23/2014, 04:33 PMNow this is the kind of thing those blank hu cards need on them, not magical chase
+1
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

Ayce

[edit]
Sorry double post. I thought my post had been deleted then I realized that you posted this in two places on the forum. So I modified this post to remove what was basically the exact same thing.

jtucci31

Quote from: fragmare on 11/23/2014, 03:32 PMWhat the hell?  I got 64395 and hit the wall like 3 or 4 times.  The next 4 tries, I only hit the wall once and can't break 53K...
Something similar happened to me. I still can't hit 60k. 59k is where i max out, every time. Even if i don't hit a single wall and i don't take my finger off the gas. I guess i need to take every single corner tight.

Opethian

love the Big BLue tune! how hard would it be to add 2 other CPU racers to this :D
IMG

NecroPhile

Joe Redifer

This is a cool tech demo and all, but playing it isn't as fun as I think it could be. Once you start ping-ponging there is no recovery. And it's REALLY easy to start ping-ponging uncontrollably since the track is so thin. I'd decrease the bounce amount. I've noticed that homebrew games almost always tend to be crazy hard. Nice "transparency" with the power bar, though! The music is great as well, I just wish the TurboGrafx-16 was capable of some bass.

FraGMarE

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/24/2014, 05:12 PMThis is a cool tech demo and all, but playing it isn't as fun as I think it could be. Once you start ping-ponging there is no recovery. And it's REALLY easy to start ping-ponging uncontrollably since the track is so thin. I'd decrease the bounce amount. I've noticed that homebrew games almost always tend to be crazy hard. Nice "transparency" with the power bar, though! The music is great as well, I just wish the TurboGrafx-16 was capable of some bass.
You've got to finesse the controller, you can't just jam on it left/right or you're gonna start the "Bounce of Death".  I rather like that aspect of it.

If you want bass, check out the Jouuki (Altered Beast) soundtrack.  The PCE can do bass just fine.  It just so happens most of the time, the composers just don't.  For whatever reason.

ClodBusted

Impressive Tech Demo. :) If there may be a full game release in the future, I'd appreciate it if the controls undergo fine tuning.

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 11/24/2014, 12:03 PM75,420 is my best so far.  Suck it, cabby.  :mrgreen:
You'll need to provide photographic proof for a score that high.

Joe: I appreciate that some people won't like the game since in lieu of beating opposing vehicles and navigating a true circular track, it concentrates on fine control of the vehicle and overcoming an antagonistic curving track.  But the "bounce of death" is recoverable from, as are the sharp turns.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/24/2014, 05:18 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/24/2014, 05:12 PMI just wish the TurboGrafx-16 was capable of some bass.
It is! Take Dragon Slayer, for instance... turn on PSG tunes and BOOM- the battles become a pleasure rather than a PITA.  Certain other games (I can't think of examples at the moment, but recall they are HuCARDs) also have some good bass.  My theory is that most games were designed with the assumption that they'd be played on TV speakers.
Add China Warrior to that list. There is a thumpin' bass in dat game. I think it has a totally under-appreciated soundtrack. I LOVE THE TUNES IN CHINA WARRIOR.

There are other games with bass, but China Warrior is the only one I don't have to double-check. Ha! I've played that game too many times.

NecroPhile

Quote from: ccovell on 11/24/2014, 06:08 PMYou'll need to provide photographic proof for a score that high.
I did in the high score thread fragmare started:

IMG

The 90k score doesn't count.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: fragmare on 11/24/2014, 05:29 PMYou've got to finesse the controller, you can't just jam on it left/right or you're gonna start the "Bounce of Death".  I rather like that aspect of it.
Well the controller only has left, right and off. The only way to finesse it would be to rapidly tap in one direction or another to kind of simulate analog control. I press a direction and let go. All works fine until I get around maybe 1000 points or so? I don't know because I'm concentrating on my driving and a final score isn't tallied unless you last the full 2 minutes. Maybe I am too used to F-Zero controls? F-Zero is one of my favorite games on the SNES.

FraGMarE

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/24/2014, 06:27 PM
Quote from: fragmare on 11/24/2014, 05:29 PMYou've got to finesse the controller, you can't just jam on it left/right or you're gonna start the "Bounce of Death".  I rather like that aspect of it.
Well the controller only has left, right and off. The only way to finesse it would be to rapidly tap in one direction or another to kind of simulate analog control. I press a direction and let go. All works fine until I get around maybe 1000 points or so? I don't know because I'm concentrating on my driving and a final score isn't tallied unless you last the full 2 minutes. Maybe I am too used to F-Zero controls? F-Zero is one of my favorite games on the SNES.
Yea, you've got to tapitty tap taparoo sometimes to stay the course

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/24/2014, 06:27 PM
You are so firmly rooted in your old habits, Joe.

Ha!

:)

Joe Redifer

Well yeah! If a game looks like F-Zero Ima play it like F-Zero!

Quote from: fragmareyou've got to tapitty tap taparoo sometimes to stay the course
I'll try some tappity tap action but I refuse to taparoo. Might be kinda hard when the turns are tight enough to throw you against the wall and there's no brake.

Joe Redifer

OK tried it again. I figured out the secret. Even if you're going straight and there's no curves, you wanna be pressing a direction. Why ? Because this will make your score climb faster. I was easily able to achieve this after a few tries:

IMG

esteban

IMG

ProTip: Joe's score is equivalent to HZ8L9 in hexadecimal.

FraGMarE

Joe, post your future scores in the high score thread: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=18094.0  There be some competition going on over there.  :)

Chris, you know... if you ever wanted to expand on this game, you could keep it as a one-car, non-circuit track by making it a rally championship.  Where you race against the clock on linear segments of track, a la Sega Rally.  Hell, you could even throw in obstacles for some added variety.  Perhaps even a ghost car, if the engine allowed.  It would be an interesting take on the F-Zero theme.  HuZERO - Rally Edition!  :D

ClodBusted

When I play Huzero, the controls make me feel like I'm stuck on F-Zero's Death Wind track.

EvilEvoIX

Wow please make a Super CD Copy!  Game looks great!
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

touko

NecroPhile

I really dig the rainbow logo splash screen and how it explodes at the end (reminds me of Cosmic Fantasy 4).

EvilEvoIX

Amazing effort, not quite MODE 7 but way better than I thought.  I like the music, the colors are awesome.  I wish there was a way to incorporate a shoulder style button for sharper turns.  Maybe use the 6 button.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

ClodBusted

Is it just me, or does the track behaves like a "treadmill" type track instead of being rotated under the players sprite?

Joe Redifer

Will there ever be a TurboGrafx-16 version of this game? Screw the stupid PC Engine, the TurboGrafx-16 is way better and more powerful!

TurboXray

Great demo, but I really love the transparency effect on the title screen. Nice work! :D

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/26/2014, 04:58 PMWill there ever be a TurboGrafx-16 version of this game? Screw the stupid PC Engine, the TurboGrafx-16 is way better and more powerful!
This is true, the TurboGrafx-16 is a true 16-Bit machine Vs the PCE where is simply an 8-Bit Machine.  Japan really got hosed on that deal.
IMGIMGIMG

spenoza

I like the title screen better than the game itself. That's how awesome the title screen is.

roflmao

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 11/25/2014, 04:43 PMIs it just me, or does the track behaves like a "treadmill" type track instead of being rotated under the players sprite?
It would appear so.  I wonder if the effect used is similar to that used in Street Racer?  It looks more akin to that than something like Wacky Races, which still doesn't use proper rotation, I believe.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Joe Redifer

Most games of this type line scroll one direction or another with the bottom-most lines scrolling the fastest. This one centers around where your sprite is to give an effect similar to rotation. The horizon scrolls back and forth from the center of your craft forward, with the horizon scrolling the fastest. From the center of your craft to the bottom of the screen the lines scroll in the opposite direction, giving the illusion that the track is spinning on an axis that's currently where your craft is. Very clever! But you can only in a straight line in the very center of the track. In F-Zero (with real rotation) you could pull up next to the edge of a straight track and ride along it without bumping into it. In this game you'd bump into the track if you tried that.

ccovell

Yeah, Joe basically has it.  With your Pole Position/Outrun type games, you can't point your car in any direction, and so the viewing angle is always straight forward, with the road shearing only in perspective as you slide left or right.  With Mode 7 games on the SNES, you can point your car in any direction, and so your viewpoint pivots around the centre of your vehicle.

I was trying to generate the latter effect on a system with no Mode 7 hardware.

A Black Falcon

Cool stuff, F-Zero is my favorite 4th gen racing game, I should say that first.  I'm a huge futuristic racing game fan, and F-Zero is one of the best (Another futuristic racing game, Sega's Outrun 2019 for the Genesis, is my 2nd favorite 4th gen racer.).  So yeah, I can't help but compare this to F-Zero.  And the graphics and music are great!  Yeah, it's linescroll and not Mode 7, and that's too bad, but for a linescroll-style F-Zero game it looks very cool.  Love the rendition of the music as well.

But as for the gameplay... this definitely isn't as good as F-Zero.  It doesn't play anything like F-Zero, and wish it did.  HuZero looks amazing in screenshots, but is kind of frustrating to play.  Perhaps my biggest issue with it is the handling.  The way your car "angles" based on how many times you've pressed the dpad in one direction or another is so weird, you almost never see that in racing games.  I guess Michael Andretti's World Grand Prix for the NES is kind of like that, but pretty much nothing else I can think of, and that game is really confusing to play because of how each tap, instead of just turning you  like in a normal racing game, changes the angle of your car, which then locks in the angle it's now set to, just like this one.  Sure, after a little while I started to get used to this game, and these controls certainly make HuZero a more challenging score attack game, but as much as I like the visual look of the game,  I don't think I like the controls; shouldn't it play more like, well, F-Zero, if it's an F-Zero-like game?

Anyway, my best score so far is 64,890.  These controls, and the horrible pingpongey death waiting you if you make even a tiny mistake, makes this a quite tense game to play...

Maybe the most impressive F-Zero-style homebrew-ish game I've seen is this one, F-Nano 2 for the MSX Turbo-R:
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/24/2014, 05:12 PMThis is a cool tech demo and all, but playing it isn't as fun as I think it could be. Once you start ping-ponging there is no recovery. And it's REALLY easy to start ping-ponging uncontrollably since the track is so thin. I'd decrease the bounce amount. I've noticed that homebrew games almost always tend to be crazy hard. Nice "transparency" with the power bar, though! The music is great as well, I just wish the TurboGrafx-16 was capable of some bass.
Yeah, the fact that if you go too far in one direction or the other you set off an unrecoverable pingpong bouncing chain is one of the worst side-effects of the games' controls.  Perhaps the idea was that since it's just a two minute game it should be hard, and it does add to the challenge and make the game a bit harder to learn, but is that a good hard?  I'm not so sure.

Still, it was kind of satisfying when I finally managed to get through two minutes without bouncing back and forth off the walls.

NightWolve

Quote from: ccovell on 11/21/2014, 10:03 AMHey, folks.  I've been doing a little coding since February on a (fun?) little game that I call HuZERO.
IMG
Wow, that's awesome work, Chris! I can't believe I had a reason to pull out the microSD card so soon from my Everdrive flashcart and load it up with something to give it a quick test.

I can confirm it works on a TurboExpress with Everdrive. Fine, fine work, you even remade the explosion, smoke and camera effect of it quickly going up and letting the player view the resulting explosive failure upon death like the original and to the best of the system's abilities :!: ;)

I take it button II doesn't brake ? Looks like, otherwise I should be more able to avoid getting bounced around back'n'forth like a ragdoll into explosion on your wily curves. Heh.

Anyway, like Bonknuts/TurboXray, you're a helluva coder/programmer!

EDIT: :lol:, what the heck ? Chris did political alarmist commentary in the title screen... After a little while post-credits and apologies to Nintendo, you see the following:

"STOP THE US NSA!!"
"PRISM IS GLOBAL!!"
"AND WATCHING YOU!!"

"PRISM" referring to this. - ECHELON Part II as it were.

I was like, uh, wait, what did I just see ? Heh-heh. Had to let it run again and pay attention.