OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Worst video game mispronunciations/bungles you've ever heard

Started by VenomMacbeth, 03/26/2015, 10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomMacbeth

It's easy to murder the English language, especially when it comes to proper nouns.

I'm sure we've all heard "Super Merry-Oh Brothers" and "Ninja Gayden", or seen "Turbografics" a time or two, but I'm curious to see what else you've heard/read.

For instance, my girlfriend has been obeying almost more than I in recent days, playing game after game of Gomola Speed.  Yesterday, when she got home from work, she informed me that she wanted to play "Granola Snake".

So yeah.  I wanna hear all about your Raydens & Metal Gear Salads.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

HailingTheThings

Pretty sure I remember my younger sister saying something like "Crash Banderers" when I was younger. She was my go-to "How do I mispronounce things?" person. lol
IMG

esteban

CHEENAH WARRIOR.

A kid at school.

I blindly followed his lead, thinking he knew something I didn't.

Like, it was a game about a Latino Martial Arts protagonist.

We had only seen a few screenshots in a magazine.

CHEENAH WARRIOR.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

LostFlunky

BigusSchmuck

A few Street Fighter 2 names come into mind like Guile and Blanka. I have heard people say Guile as Goalee and Blanka as Blanketa.

Bloufo

HuCard.

Had a guy insisting on saying it as: "H" "U" "Card" or "huck-ard" lol

I've always gone with the "hugh-card" pronunciation.

How is it said in Japan? Probably something like "hyuukaado" ?

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Bloufo on 03/27/2015, 10:07 AMHuCard.

Had a guy insisting on saying it as: "H" "U" "Card" or "huck-ard" lol

I've always gone with the "hugh-card" pronunciation.

How is it said in Japan? Probably something like "hyuukaado" ?
I believe you are correct, and that's how i say it, though I could kind of understand why one would pronounce it the other way given that the "Hu-" prefix stands for "Hudson", correct?  And it certainly isn't Hewdson Soft...lol
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

xcrement5x

Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

DragonmasterDan

Sega pronounced "Say Grrr"
SNES pronounced SNEZ (ryhmes with Pez)
--DragonmasterDan

Opethian

IMG

wildfruit

I always said "seega" for SEGA. its the preferred, if incorrect, pronunciation in the non NA anglophile world.

LostFlunky

Quote from: wildfruit on 03/27/2015, 11:56 AMI always said "seega" for SEGA. its the preferred, if incorrect, pronunciation in the non NA anglophile world.
Do the games not boot up with the "Say-ga" sound bite in the non NA anglophile world?

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 03/27/2015, 12:07 PMDo the games not boot up with the "Say-ga" sound bite in the non NA anglophile world?
Not on the Master System, which was much more popular among non-NA Anglophiles than the NA ones. ;)
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

wildfruit

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 03/27/2015, 12:07 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 03/27/2015, 11:56 AMI always said "seega" for SEGA. its the preferred, if incorrect, pronunciation in the non NA anglophile world.
Do the games not boot up with the "Say-ga" sound bite in the non NA anglophile world?
Definitely do but all the adverts and tv shows said it the different way. Changed in UK around when mega drive came out. I think Australians still have this though AFAIK.

sirhcman

I remember playing The Legend of Zelda on NES as a 7 year old with my cousin (who was then 5). When the Continue,Save, Retry screen would come up he always said "re-terry" for retry.. One of those silly little things I have always remembered :)

MotherGunner

I'm still trying to figure this out:

Vegas Tactical Gladiator?  Vah-goose Tactical Gladiator?  Vay-goose?  WTF, over...
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

sirhcman

Quote from: MotherGunner on 03/27/2015, 01:14 PMI'm still trying to figure this out:

Vegas Tactical Gladiator?  Vah-goose Tactical Gladiator?  Vay-goose?  WTF, over...
I always pronounced it Veeegs *shrugs*

ToyMachine78

Quote from: wildfruit on 03/27/2015, 12:31 PM
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 03/27/2015, 12:07 PM
Definitely do but all the adverts and tv shows said it the different way. Changed in UK around when mega drive came out. I think Australians still have this though AFAIK.
So is it Meega Drive too?

VenomMacbeth

THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

glazball

My cousin used to have the Deluxe NES set and my country aunt would call it the "Intendo" which came with the "ro-butt"
glazball's game collection and wantlist

majors

When my buddy worked a mom'n pop game store back in the PS1 days, he heard "Tri-all-oh-gee" for Trilogy all the time.

Mortal Kombat, Alien, Die Hard...if it was not Tri-allology, it was Trigonometry.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Joe Redifer

I say "Vaygs" Tactical Gladiator.

I say "Graddeeus" rhymes with "glad" trash bags.

I say "Gweelee" for Guile. Or sometimes I just stick with Guyul.

I say "Turbo Graphics" but I spell it as TurboGrafx.

I say "Say guh"

Correct me.

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

shawnji

Quote from: guest on 03/27/2015, 10:24 AMChocobo = KOKOBO
Haha!  Yes!  My uncle used to drive me nuts because he would say, "coo-cuh-boo!"

This one guy I knew would also pronounce "Seifer" as "Say-faa," because he assumed the Japanese was セイファー and that they just romanized it directly from that, which was actually not an unreasonable assumption.  However, when I explained to him that it was サイファー (like "cipher"), he was all like, "No way man!  There's no way that's right!"  (@_@; )

"Mare-ee-oh" is literally the worst, if only because I hear it SO much.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 03/27/2015, 11:07 AMSega pronounced "Say Grrr"
The Saygrrr one I've heard from British people, but it's just the accent.   They say "eye dee urrr" when saying idea, and stuff.   Dunno why, but it's funny.

The worst to me is Magic of Scheherazade.   

"Magic of Sheehah ruh zaydee"

what.

Oh and Faxanadu.

"Facks za naydu"
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 03/27/2015, 05:07 PM
The Saygrrr one I've heard from British people, but it's just the accent.   They say "eye dee urrr" when saying idea, and stuff.   Dunno why, but it's funny.

what.

Oh and Faxanadu.

"Facks za naydu"
This is something I've payed a lot of attention to, the whole "idear" thing.  It seems the "R" is used if the word ends with a vowel, and the word that follows begins with one.  Can anyone give credence to this theory?
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 03/27/2015, 05:12 PM

what.

Oh and Faxanadu.

"Facks za naydu"
This is something I've payed a lot of attention to, the whole "idear" thing.  It seems the "R" is used if the word ends with a vowel, and the word that follows begins with one.  Can anyone give credence to this theory?
Sounds about right. :)

Fazzzzzzzz.       On.          A.                Doo.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Black TigerTengai Makyu
Ten guys mock you.

geise

technozombie

I have no idea how many things are pronounced because I don't have any friends and never here these pronounced lol.

SignOfZeta

Guile as "gweely"
Ryu is "Raiyoo"

Not related, but I once heard someone pronounce "anime" as "aneem", two syllables. That one took me a while, literally 20 seconds to translate into human. I couldn't figure out WTF he meant.

When working at a game store a kid once asked "Do you have THPS3 for PS2?" He pronounced it just like I wrote it. He wanted Tony Hawk 3, but instead of saying that he had to say it like a video game magazine writes it out.

Then there is SHMUP, which is ONLY acceptable if you are writing an article in an European Amiga magazine in 1989. Fuck all dipshits.
IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/27/2015, 07:54 PM
Quote from: Black TigerTengai Makyu
Ten guys mock you.
It's like being in high school again :cry:
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

wildfruit

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 03/27/2015, 05:12 PM

what.

Oh and Faxanadu.

"Facks za naydu"
Sort of
Which should be pronounced sor(t) ov
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_English

esteban

Quote from: MotherGunner on 03/27/2015, 01:14 PMI'm still trying to figure this out:

I OFFICIALLY DECLARED that "Veigues" is pronounced "VEEGZ" back when it was released.

NO OTHER WAY IS ACCEPTABLE.

I am serious.

I have ignored any post that state otherwise.

I have ignored the posts that agree with me because

MY OFFICIAL DECLARATION PRECEDES posts in 2015.

Thank you.

IMG

esteban

PET PEEVE:

I hate when folks say "nesssss" or "snessssss" instead of "ehn eee ess" or "ess ehn eee ess"

Absolutely no one should be allowed to say stupid shite like that.

I am sorry I offended most of you.

But you are imbeciles.

Thank you.

IMG

esteban

PET PEEVE: When folks do not take combine multiple posts into a single post.

esteban

sirhcman

Quote from: esteban on 03/28/2015, 08:55 AMPET PEEVE:

I hate when folks say "nesssss" or "snessssss" instead of "ehn eee ess" or "ess ehn eee ess"

Absolutely no one should be allowed to say stupid shite like that
I'm with you 100% on this!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 03/28/2015, 09:28 AM

Absolutely no one should be allowed to say stupid shite like that
I'm with you 100% on this!
I second his seconding.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

MotherGunner

But you are imbeciles.

Thank you.

IMG 
Or when they say "At" "At" instead of "A-T-A-T"!!!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

jtucci31

Quote from: MotherGunner on 03/28/2015, 12:30 PM

But you are imbeciles.

Thank you.
Or when they say "At" "At" instead of "A-T-A-T"!!!
I'm guilty of saying "AT AT" a few times, but never "nessssss/sssnessss". I hate that too.

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/28/2015, 12:19 PMgranola snake lol LOL L O L
I was waiting for someone to catch this.  We just call the game Granola Snake now, because it's too funny not to.

At least she got the name of the "snake" right, I think.  (Gorm?)
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

ClodBusted

Legend of Tselda. I'm still doing it. I never got accustomed to proper English pronunciation, and will never do.

BTW, the boot screen of Sonic says clearly Say-Ga.

ccovell

My dad used to say "Nine - ten - dough".  My mom used to say " 'intendo."

My brother used to pronounce Jean-Michel Jarre as "Jarr - ay" no matter how many times I corrected him.

Giana Sisters pronounced by some Germans(?) as "Guy - an - a"... great name for a doctor that treats women's problems...

And who can forget that in-game bungle:  "Sting - y"?

esteban

Quote from: ccovell on 03/28/2015, 08:33 PMMy dad used to say "Nine - ten - dough".  My mom used to say " 'intendo."
And who can forget that in-game bungle:  "Sting - y"?
WAIT! My mom used to say "Intendo" too!

I'm sure a lot of folks said "intendo".... or was it just a "mom" thing?

She had known about "Intellivision"... so I always thought she associated NES with the earlier video game console.

Forgive me, but I can't place the last reference to "Sting - y"

Gentlegamer

For some reason, the Aussies saying see-ga annoys me more than it should.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

CrackTiger

My friend and I called Dr Wily "Dr Willy" while waiting for Megaman 2 to come out after seeing the Nintendo preview (Megaman 1 never came to my hometown). After I got the game and realized that he unfortunately had a much inferior name, I still continued to affectiately call him Dr Willy with friends.

Myau will always be "Maiyu" to my Brother and I and that pronounciation is the name of my large white cat.

My Brother still likes to call Guile "Gully!", because he heard someone say that bitd. "Raiyu" will always feel much more comfortable to me than hearing "Ryu". Same with "Blank-Ah" vs "Blawnkaw".

I pronounce anime as it was intended, short for "animation". Same deal with Famicom/Family Computer. I don't call the PC Engine "Peeshee Enjeen" just because that's how the Romanji turns out.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/28/2015, 10:28 PMMy friend and I called Dr Wily "Dr Willy" while waiting for Megaman 2 to come out after seeing the Nintendo preview (Megaman 1 never came to my hometown). After I got the game and realized that he unfortunately had a much inferior name, I still continued to affectiately call him Dr Willy with friends.

Myau will always be "Maiyu" to my Brother and I and that pronounciation is the name of my large white cat.

My Brother still likes to call Guile "Gully!", because he heard someone say that bitd. "Raiyu" will always feel much more comfortable to me than hearing "Ryu". Same with "Blank-Ah" vs "Blawnkaw".

I pronounce anime as it was intended, short for "animation". Same deal with Famicom/Family Computer. I don't call the PC Engine "Peeshee Enjeen" just because that's how the Romanji turns out.
OK, I totally prefer "Blahhn-Kah" ("Blank-Ah" is runner-up)
I like both "Rye-ooo" and "Ree-ooo"

BUT YOU ARE CRAZY ABOUT DR. WILY.

Dr. Wily is the SUPERIOR name.

Dr. Willy is blah.

SORRY (sore-eee)

:)

esadajr

one of the kids used to say "manen gover" instead of game over
Gaming since 1985