@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

POLL: Final solution to the SCHUMP dilemma

Started by VenomMacbeth, 04/18/2015, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should "STG" be used in place of "Shmup" henceforth?

Yes, sticky this thread so everyone will see to use "STG" before getting crucified for using "SCHUMUMS"
3 (12%)
No, it sounds too much like "STD" and nobody really cares that much, Venom.
10 (40%)
FUCK YOU (obligatory fighting-street-friendly option)
12 (48%)

Total Members Voted: 25

VenomMacbeth

There's a good deal of dislike for the phrase "shmup", all its further-botched derivatives, and consequently, those that use them. Instead of this lingual felony, I offer a proper substitute: STG.  It's already been used, it's an actual acronym with an actual meaning that's just as applicable as "Shmup", and it requires EVEN LESS brain power to use.  So what say ye?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

sirhcman

Sounds complicated. Ill stick with "shooter"

SignOfZeta

No kidding. Shooters. The games are called shooters. R-Type is a shooter. Phantasy Zone is a shooter. Game Tengokou is a shooter. Shooter.

I've got your Final Solution right here: if anyone calls something else a shooter, like Quake or Time Crisis, find all of their family and put them in the nearest concentration camp with all the people who say shmup. Problem solved.
IMG

bartre

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 04/18/2015, 12:25 PMThere's a good deal of dislike for the phrase "shmup", all its further-botched derivatives, and consequently, those that use them. Instead of this lingual felony, I offer a proper substitute: STG.  It's already been used, it's an actual acronym with an actual meaning that's just as applicable as "Shmup", and it requires EVEN LESS brain power to use.  So what say ye?
I know the Japanese audience is comfortable with  "STG"....

BUT WHEN I SEE "STG" I can only thing about STRATEGY GAMES.

STG is a noble effort, Venom.  Honestly. The problem is that I have never associated it with shooters.

:(
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

sirhcman

VenomMacbeth

Therein lies the problem with "shooter".  I can't tell some normal shmo that I like shooters without them spouting off some COD bullshit.

But I definitely like the sound of herr Zeta's plan.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: guest on 04/18/2015, 12:38 PM"shooter"
Just came to post this. Shooter, shoot-em-up, shmup, I think all three are fine, though are ordered in most to least acceptable. I get that Japan has popularized STG, but it really makes no sense in English.

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 04/18/2015, 02:31 PMTherein lies the problem with "shooter".  I can't tell some normal shmo that I like shooters without them spouting off some COD bullshit.
But who cares about them? We're in the context of a forum, we shouldn't translate that to real life. Likewise, Xbox is fine on forums to indicate the original Xbox, but you wouldn't use that in real life either.

For that matter, do normal shmos even know Turbo?

Quote from: bartre on 04/18/2015, 01:01 PM100% fuck you.

i prefer shmoops.
Isn't that a Salt N Pepa song?

SignOfZeta

No kidding. There isn't exactly a huge overlap between fans of Call of Doodie and Ikaruga. Those guys don't even know what a traditional shooter even is.
IMG

MotherGunner

Like Zeta said.  I was talking to a young male coworker about this shooter I'm playing called Sky Force.  He asks me if it's like Pay Day 2?  I rolled my eyes...
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

esteban

Quote from: MotherGunner on 04/18/2015, 03:56 PMLike Zeta said.  I was talking to a young male coworker about this shooter I'm playing called Sky Force.  He asks me if it's like Pay Day 2?  I rolled my eyes...
I had no idea there was a Pay Day 1, unless you count the awesome peanut candy bar.

I love that peanut candy bar.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: MotherGunner on 04/18/2015, 03:56 PMLike Zeta said.  I was talking to a young male coworker about this shooter I'm playing called Sky Force.  He asks me if it's like Pay Day 2?  I rolled my eyes...
But why would you be talking to him about that game?

LostFlunky

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 04/18/2015, 12:25 PMThere's a good deal of dislike for the phrase "shmup", all its further-botched derivatives, and consequently, those that use them. Instead of this lingual felony, I offer a proper substitute: STG.  It's already been used, it's an actual acronym with an actual meaning that's just as applicable as "Shmup", and it requires EVEN LESS brain power to use.  So what say ye?
1. The term is "shooter".
2. Halo is not a "shooter".
3. SHMUP is a lazy journalist's linguistic atrocity.  Adopting or even acknowledging it as anything else is like saying "Hey, I am a cunt!".
4. You are a cunt.

sirhcman

Can we all agree to call "Cute Em Ups" Cuters now? pew pew!

esteban

I wholeheartedly endorse "cute-em-up" ... :)

synbiosfan

Gawd my generation birthed a bunch of idiots ](*,)

:P

poponon

my vote goes for STG .   Sounds like a genre, like RPG

VenomMacbeth

As much as I'd prefer it otherwise, I converse with regular dudes more than turbo-savvie gents, such as yourselves.

And anyways, when talking to them, I usually refer to the genre as "spaceship shooters" & reference titles like Galaga or Spice Inviters, even though neither of those games are ones I usually play.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

CPTBadAss

Quote from: esteban on 04/18/2015, 09:22 PMI wholeheartedly endorse "cute-em-up" ... :)
I agree. Let's just agree cute things are the best and call everything cute-em-ups :D.
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.

bartre

while he's clearly an idiot, Payday 2 is pretty fun.

TR0N

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 04/18/2015, 11:36 PMAs much as I'd prefer it otherwise, I converse with regular dudes more than turbo-savvie gents, such as yourselves.

And anyways, when talking to them, I usually refer to the genre as "spaceship shooters" & reference titles like Galaga or Spice Inviters, even though neither of those games are ones I usually play.
Never like the term spaceship shooter.I guess i can't stand it any more because of classic game room,uses the term so much.I just refer to genre as shoot'em ups yeah for a time i called them shooters to,but then the average joe thinks fps
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

wildfruit

How about "wow pretty lights pow pow boom"

esteban

I use the term "chute-em-up" to classify certain platform games, such as Super Mario Bros.

LostFlunky

Quote from: esteban on 04/20/2015, 06:56 AMI use the term "chute-em-up" to classify certain platform games, such as Super Mario Bros.
As opposed to a "chu-em-up" like Space Channel 5...

It's quite simple, really...

majors

I use both terms interchangeable. The wonderful thing with the English language! Depending on the crowd I'm communicating with...ppl at shmups.com I use STG b/c they know what it means, for casual retro gamers I use shmups and for lame non-gamers and PC gamers I say "like Galaga or Gradius".

When I talk I never say "shmups" when talking but rather "shoot'em ups"...it definitely needs to be band, saying IRL "sha-mups"...that is le dumb.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

VenomMacbeth

I like "chew-em-ups" like Pac Man & Coryoon.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

NecroPhile

When someone says shmup, shoot-em-up, or any other variation thereof, I think shooter; I know what they're talking about, and I don't give a fuck if some CoD humper gets confused.

When someone says STG, I think Luftwaffe..... so I guess it kind of fits too.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Alt-Nintega

shooter sounds the best. I don't know if it's common term but over here they are called shooters.

CrackTiger

As much as I'd prefer it otherwise, I converse with regular dudes more than turbo-savvie gents, such as yourselves.

And anyways, when talking to them, I usually refer to the genre as "oily buff dudes firing off white loads" & reference titles like Cho Aniki or Ai Cho Aniki, even though neither of those games are ones I usually play, but it does accurately describe the genre in general.

I guess that the term "buffudes" makes the most sense to use. Inevetably, the shumpers will be "budoofing" in no time though...

"Gredias is the most legendary budoof series of all time!"

But then then the 20 year olds will be like, "Is that a God of War rip off or something?"
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Opethian

you know Hitler had a final solution and you know how that turned out...
IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/20/2015, 10:51 AMWhen someone says shmup, shoot-em-up, or any other variation thereof, I think shooter; I know what they're talking about, and I don't give a fuck if some CoD humper gets confused.

When someone says STG, I think Luftwaffe..... so I guess it kind of fits too.
Especially today.

Psycho Punch

Revert First/Third Person Shooters to First/Third Person Action games, use Shooter for games with a freely moving object on screen that shoots projectiles at enemies while the background scrolls, AKA SHMUPS.

Problem solved.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

ClodBusted

We stupid Germans are too dumb to call FPS games First Person Shooters. Instead we say "Ego Shooter" since the early/mid 2000s when Counter Strike came up. I hate hate hate that word. Even movie dubs (Wreck-it Ralph) use it nowadays.  Could somebody hand me a bucket, I think I'm gonna throw. Politicians insist on the genre name "Killerspiele" (killer games...) for FPS since we had students gone on rampage similar to Columbine.

Other than that, the people here write down either Shoot 'em ups for spaceship shooters since ever, or how I like to call them: Ballerspiele.

But then, we like to call photo shoots a "shooting", and for public screenings of sports events we say "public viewing".

I'd rather suck on Nulltard's Bratwurst than letting these words leave my mouth.

SignOfZeta

Man, I like Germany more every day.

Ego shooter. That's so much better than my term "Arab killer". I'm using ego shooter exclusively in place of fps from now on.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/21/2015, 10:32 AMWe stupid Germans are too dumb to call FPS games First Person Shooters. Instead we say "Ego Shooter" since the early/mid 2000s when Counter Strike came up. I hate hate hate that word. Even movie dubs (Wreck-it Ralph) use it nowadays.  Could somebody hand me a bucket, I think I'm gonna throw. Politicians insist on the genre name "Killerspiele" (killer games...) for FPS since we had students gone on rampage similar to Columbine.

Other than that, the people here write down either Shoot 'em ups for spaceship shooters since ever, or how I like to call them: Ballerspiele.

But then, we like to call photo shoots a "shooting", and for public screenings of sports events we say "public viewing".

I'd rather suck on Nulltard's Bratwurst than letting these words leave my mouth.
So, what the heck does "ballerspiele" mean? :)

Also, in reference to Nulltard: I'm pretty sure you intended to say "weisswurst" instead of bratwurst.

ClodBusted

Quote from: esteban on 04/21/2015, 03:54 PMSo, what the heck does "ballerspiele" mean? :)
It pretty much translate into shooting games, while "ballern" is a rather colloquial verb.

QuoteAlso, in reference to Nulltard: I'm pretty sure you intended to say "weisswurst" instead of bratwurst.
I haven't seen nulli's Wiener before. Did you?

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/21/2015, 04:32 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/21/2015, 03:54 PM
QuoteAlso, in reference to Nulltard: I'm pretty sure you intended to say "weisswurst" instead of bratwurst.
I haven't seen his Wiener before, so I can't judge. Did you?
Nulltard is so pale, only a translucent weisswurst could be wandering around in the netherworld.

SPONSORED BY: www.DoxPhile

geise

lol

LOL

LOL!!!!!

You sure you didn't roll you eyes and mumble "Mother Fucker!" at the same time?  Are most of us here really that old?