RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Favorite 8-bit console

Started by guyjin, 01/19/2007, 06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite post-crash 8-bit videogame system?

NES
13 (52%)
SMS
10 (40%)
0 (0%)
something i've forgotten
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

guyjin

Here it is folks, the big one  :P

SignOfZeta

Um...PC Engine is not on that lost for some reason...
IMG

KungFuKid

SMS rules! Sonic, Wonderboy, R-Type, Ys, Phantasy Star, Miracle Warriors, Mickey Mouse, Asterix, Alex Kidd, Mortal Kombat, SF2, Need I go on???

termis

Hmmm...  If you talk about the just the top titles, SMS blew the NES away, but NES had such a huge selection of games...

7800 reeked.

guyjin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/19/2007, 07:18 PMUm...PC Engine is not on that lost for some reason...
... your honor, it was a justifiable homicide...  :evil:

Keranu

Well as much as I love the SMS and other 8-bit devices, the NES is by far the best in my opinion. Not only in the 8-bit era, but gaming in general. It saved the game industry, became a huge icon, and had an incredible library of quality games.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

I love both the SMS and the NES.  But the SMS edges out the NES for me.  The 7800 can go to hell.

Seldane

The NES has much better games than the SMS so I definitely prefer that one...

However, there are a handful of good SMS games as well, really good ones, so I like that system a lot too. Plus, it has Ys. Any system with Ys on it is awesome.  :wink:

I'm disgusted by everything that has the Atari name on it. Everything. Ugh. :lol:
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

akamichi

I'll have to say NES also.  I liked the SMS a lot too, but I knew only one guy that had one.  I did get to play some awesome SMS games like Zillion, but after I moved to Japan, it was NES/Famicom all the way. 

Oh, and that first Fist of the North Star game on SMS rocked.  :)

Keranu

Hey does anyone know if Atari 7800 can play Atari 5200 carts? If so, I need to get one.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Dark Fact

You guys diss the 7800 yet you're forgetting that they made one of the best games of all time on it: Ninja Golf? :P

But I had to vote for NES just for its incredible game library and RPGs.

Oh, and for the record, Ys I & II were also made for the Famicom. :wink:
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

guyjin

Quote from: Keranu on 01/19/2007, 11:04 PMHey does anyone know if Atari 7800 can play Atari 5200 carts? If so, I need to get one.
hell no. =; why anyone would want to touch the 5200 with a ten foot pole, i dunno.

CrackTiger

SMS no question. The NES had lots of good stuff in North America, but it doesn't provide the same experience for me.  8)

The PC Engine isn't part of the 8-bit generation, unless you go by the wiki's wacky logic. #-o
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

GUTS

Yeah SMS all the way, most NES games are total outdated shit that look and play like ass.  At least the SMS could output some decent graphics without 500 helper chips in the cartridges, and the really good SMS games still hold up today.  That was back when Sega could single handidly prop up a system and do a fucking amazing job of it.

NecroPhile

My vote's for the NES and it's huge library of games.  Besides the point - without the NES, I wouldn't have the Angry Nintendo Nerd to make me laugh.

Quote from: Seldane on 01/19/2007, 08:59 PMHowever, there are a handful of good SMS games as well, really good ones, so I like that system a lot too. Plus, it has Ys. Any system with Ys on it is awesome.  :wink:
NES had Ys too, but not in english or as good looking  Compare the screen pics at Moby Games:
SMS - http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-master-system/ys/screenshots
NES - http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/ys/screenshots
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Joe Redifer

Quote from: akamichiOh, and that first Fist of the North Star game on SMS rocked.  :)
The US version, called "Black Belt", is way better.  Much better music as well!  Both are better than the mega-awesome "Last Battle" on the Genesis, which was voted the 3rd best videogame ever made.

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/19/2007, 07:18 PMUm...PC Engine is not on that lost for some reason...
Hahaha, oh god.  That is my favorite video gaming related troll ever, it really makes the Turbo nerds mad.

I'm just mad that you beat me to it.  :-({|=

akamichi

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/20/2007, 01:26 AM
Quote from: akamichiOh, and that first Fist of the North Star game on SMS rocked.  :)
The US version, called "Black Belt", is way better.  Much better music as well!  Both are better than the mega-awesome "Last Battle" on the Genesis, which was voted the 3rd best videogame ever made.
Yeah, that's the name!  I couldn't remember what it was called.  That was probably the first SMS game I ever played.  I loved the boss battles and the finishing moves. :)  At that time, I'd never heard of Fist of the North Star.

termis

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/20/2007, 01:26 AMThe US version, called "Black Belt", is way better.  Much better music as well!  Both are better than the mega-awesome "Last Battle" on the Genesis, which was voted the 3rd best videogame ever made.
I had no idea that "Black Belt" was a Fist of the North Star game.  I guess that makes that whole enemies blowing up thing make sense.

This is kinda of a deja vu, cause I didn't know that Last Battle was also a FotNS game until years later.   It all made sense too afterwards after I found out... (the whole shirt-rippin' power-ups, the boss finishing moves, etc) Man that was a hard-ass game.  I think I beat it *once*, and was never able to achieve that feat again.   And Last Battle was the first Genny game that I bought.  I wonder what the hell I did with it?  Hmmm...

Keranu

Quote from: Xiphas on 01/20/2007, 01:45 AMHahaha, oh god.  That is my favorite video gaming related troll ever, it really makes the Turbo nerds mad.

Calling the Turbo 8-bit around here usually won't start fights. However mentioning TG16, Genesis, and SNES in the same sentence will :) .
IMG

OldRover

Quote from: Xiphas on 01/20/2007, 01:45 AM
Hahaha, oh god.  That is my favorite video gaming related troll ever, it really makes the Turbo nerds mad.

Mainly because people around here actually remember that the PCE/TG were part of the 16 bit generation, not the 8 bit generation. In other words...we know our shit.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

PCEngineHell

I hated how they removed all the blood from the Last Battle cart.

Seldane

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2007, 01:07 AMNES had Ys too, but not in english or as good looking
Yeah I know, that's why I chose NES as my favorite. :wink: Nah, seriously though.. Ys 1-3 on Famicom are the worst versions of those three games, but they still rule! :D Ys 1 SMS is my first and favorite Ys game ever. It doesn't really hold up today, but I still love it for nostalgic reasons.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

esteban

NES all the way. I love SMS and we had a nice little community of SMS owners where I grew up, but NES just had tons of great games.

SMS was the TG-16 of the pure 8-bitters in North America, as far as I'm concerned.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

guyjin

Quote from: stevek666 on 01/20/2007, 11:27 AMSMS was the TG-16 of the pure 8-bitters in North America, as far as I'm concerned.
...which makes the 7800 the Genesis of 8 bitters? you're being too kind. :p

I figured the poll would eventually swing one way or the other, but we seem to be split exactly halfway when it comes to the NES Vs. SMS. if only console sales were more like that...

CrackTiger

Quote from: guyjin on 01/20/2007, 12:46 PM
Quote from: stevek666 on 01/20/2007, 11:27 AMSMS was the TG-16 of the pure 8-bitters in North America, as far as I'm concerned.
...which makes the 7800 the Genesis of 8 bitters? you're being too kind. :p

I figured the poll would eventually swing one way or the other, but we seem to be split exactly halfway when it comes to the NES Vs. SMS. if only console sales were more like that...
You have Nintendo to thank for that.  [-X
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Dark Fact

Quote from: SeldaneNES had Ys too, but not in english or as good looking  Compare the screen pics at Moby Games:
You can find a translated version of the Famicom Ys at this site.
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

TR0N

NES/Famicom all the way.

Btw i don't have a problem with the sms i gave it a chance years ago.

I'd pick it up from ebay and gave it a try for fun since i didn't own one then.

While it's graphics and sound did impress me. It's lack of games that i enjoy on the nes wasn't, there and... it's loose controlls annoey the hell out of me.

So befor long i sold the whole thing i just perfer the nes more.

As for Atari 7800 never got into it so dunno.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

KungFuKid

Quote from: Tron on 01/21/2007, 01:02 AMWhile it's graphics and sound did impress me. It's lack of games that i enjoy on the nes wasn't, there and... it's loose controlls annoey the hell out of me.
I always find it strange when people say things like this. The whole reason I buy other consoles and systems is to play a different range and style of games. The SMS is way different to the NES, which is way different from the AES, which is different from the PCE etc. etc. For example, to me the NES games in general were aimed at a slightly younger gamer than the SMS - if you look at the range of games in general you can see that. Nothing wrong with either, but as I said - that's why I enjoy collecting for different consoles. I would never discount say the PCE because it 'doesn't have the same range of games as the Genesis'. And it's not as if the SMS catalogue is limited - there are well over 300 individual games to get hold of plus a world of variations for those who like that kind of thing (I can never be bothered).

As for the controls - that's just the standard ones, (which in my opinion are a lot better than the NES ones anyway, my hand almost goes into cramp after about 30 mins on an original NES controller) there are a lot better official sega controllers and third party ones...

Before anyone get's annoyed, that's just my opinion - and I collect for and play both systems and love the SMS & the NES!

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tron on 01/21/2007, 01:02 AMNES/Famicom all the way.

While it's graphics and sound did impress me. It's lack of games that i enjoy on the nes wasn't, there and... it's loose controlls annoey the hell out of me.

I think the problem was just your lack of knowledge of SMS games. Not only is there a ton of great games that were released in North America, there're hundreds(?) more that were released internationally that can be played without any converters/mods. It's pretty much exactly the same deal as the TurboGrafx-16.

As for the loose controls, I know that every game doesn't have crap gameplay, so I'm assuming the problem was your pad. The standard SMS pads with the joystick knob work great, but you can also use any Genesis pad as well. I usually use the Genesis 6-button controller.

KungFuKid

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2007, 03:31 PM

I think the problem was just your lack of knowledge of SMS games. Not only is there a ton of great games that were released in North America, there're hundreds(?) more that were released internationally that can be played with any converters/mods. It's pretty much exactly the same deal as the TurboGrafx-16.

As for the loose controls, I know that every game doesn't have crap gameplay, so I'm assuming the problem was your pad. The standard SMS pads with the joystick knob work great, but you can also use any Genesis pad as well. I usually use the Genesis 6-button controller.
I think what you meant is that the European games released can be played WITHOUT any kind of adaptor! lol! Probably just a typo! Yeah, there are a lot more that were released in other countries including Europe and Japan. There really are a vast amunt of awesome SMS games out there!

guyjin

Aren't there some PAL games that freak out on NTSC systems? like Back to the future III?

KungFuKid

Yeah, if I remember rightly that may be the only one, but I think there may be literally 2 or 3 at the very most, which out of 300+ pal games is not many!

CrackTiger

Kinda like Generation NEX's <1% incompatibility. But some people still get upset about that.  :roll:

KungFuKid

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2007, 05:57 PMKinda like Generation NEX's <1% incompatibility. But some people still get upset about that.  :roll:
Yeah, that's a pretty good comparison actually! Shame that the PCE / Turbografx has major compatibility issues without a HUcard convertor eh!  :wink: And yet it is still our console of choice!

CrackTiger

Quote from: kungfukid on 01/21/2007, 06:21 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 01/21/2007, 05:57 PMKinda like Generation NEX's <1% incompatibility. But some people still get upset about that.  :roll:
Yeah, that's a pretty good comparison actually! Shame that the PCE / Turbografx has major compatibility issues without a HUcard convertor eh!  :wink: And yet it is still our console of choice!
Yeah, but the CD's play fine either way and there should be at least as many PCE CD games as SMS carts.  :wink:

nat

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2007, 05:57 PMKinda like Generation NEX's <1% incompatibility. But some people still get upset about that.  :roll:
If you really want to get techincal about it, the NEX's compatibility out of the box is actually BETTER than an NES since it can also natively play Famicom carts without a converter.  :dance:
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2007, 03:31 PM

I think the problem was just your lack of knowledge of SMS games. Not only is there a ton of great games that were released in North America, there're hundreds(?) more that were released internationally that can be played without any converters/mods. It's pretty much exactly the same deal as the TurboGrafx-16.

Oh i know what's on the system games like zillon,phantasy star,psycho fox and alex the kidd etc.

Still afther owning the system i found out it just wasn't for me.

When i had it i spent more time on my neo-geo,famicom and pce far as retro gaming go's.

SMS was sitting there and collecting dust... so if i wasn't playing it i didn't see the point of keeping the console.

During it's heyday when the i had a nes frist i wanted a sms as well.

By the time i got the system i found out it wasn't for me.

It's all about what your taste in gaming is and the, NES filled my need in what i wanted in a 8-bit system.

Maybe when i get a Wii and if sega offers SMS games as VC title's i'll give it go.

Still that's far as i'm willing to go.
IMG

Keranu

Man this tie between NES and SMS just keeps getting bigger and bigger :) . It's at 10/10 right now. Unfortunately still 0% for poor Atari 7800 :( (I gotta get one of these now).
IMG

Joe Redifer

You should play more SMS games besides Alex the Kidd.  Also try:  Psycho the Fox, Space the Harrier, Out the Run, Wonder the Boy in Monster the Land, Chop the Lifter and of course Missile the Defense 3D!

TR0N

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/22/2007, 12:04 AMYou should play more SMS games besides Alex the Kidd.  Also try:  Psycho the Fox, Space the Harrier, Out the Run, Wonder the Boy in Monster the Land, Chop the Lifter and of course Missile the Defense 3D!
When i had a sms i gave chop lifter a try a classic game indeed.
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/22/2007, 12:04 AMYou should play more SMS games besides Alex the Kidd.  Also try:  Psycho the Fox, Space the Harrier, Out the Run, Wonder the Boy in Monster the Land, Chop the Lifter and of course Missile the Defense 3D!
i loled.

KungFuKid

Hahahahaha!!!! I'm so glad someone picked that up! I just looked at the board coz I'm just out of bed and was seeing what had been posted from when I was on last night, and I HATE it when people call the game Alex the Kidd! Could NEVER understand it. Different if his name was Alex KID because then it would be a smple mistake to make. But what the hell is a KIDD???? People who say that 99% of the time are those who have never really given the system a fair shake, coz they don't even know the name of one it's best and most popular games! But, at the same time, if someone says they don't like a system there is usually little point trying to change their mind.

Seldane

It's been a long time since I laughed this much at something on the Internet! :D

Edit: Still laughing.
IMG

Keranu

To be honest "Alex the Kidd" does sound cool though.
IMG

CrackTiger

Don't forget The Boy Wonder III : Curse the Dragon:P

KungFuKid

Quote from: guest on 01/22/2007, 09:12 PM
Don't forget The Boy Wonder III : Curse the Dragon:P
Hey.... Hey.... My turn!..... What about The Ninja?!?..... Oh wait, that actually IS its name.....  :D

Keranu

The poll is at NES - 11, SMS - 10 so far. I believe this is the first time that the NES has outnumbered the SMS in the poll so far. This is getting interesting  8) .
IMG

Ninja Spirit

Haha throwing in "THE" is fun as hell..
Great the Football
Great the Basketball
Astro the Warrior
Aerial the Assault

JoshTurboTrollX

put my vote for NES-

Truly can't figure out why anyone would vote otherwise........

TurboSage
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!