RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Your top 3 favorite videogame intros.

Started by Kitsunexus, 10/14/2007, 03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsunexus

Yes, top three, not a typo. :P

Here's mine:

#3 Ninjawarriors Again - Taito - SNES: It's the music that makes this intro, it should be in the beginning of every movie, EVERY MOVIE. Nobody had "just the intro" on Youtube, so you can disregard this video after 1:46.
#2 Final Fantasy VIII - Squaresoft - Playstation: Not only is the CGI still incredible, it has freaking LIBERI FATALI, possibly the best orchestral song written. Until they make an orchestral remix of "Sunglasses at Night".
NUMBER ONE:

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - Epic Megagames - PC: This is my all-time favorite intro from my all-time favorite PC game. It's short and sweet, and gets the point across that you are a BADASS RABBIT. Plus it's animated, which now that CGI's here, we will NEVER see again. The intro music is a kick-ass Moog-lead driven arcade style piece, the only thing wrong about it is that the "Oh yeah" is embedded in the video itself, not the IT. Still that's nitpicking though. Here is my favorite intro ever.
What are your favorite intros?
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

rag-time4

#3 Super Mario 2 (USA) because of the raggy waltz music
#2 Soul Blade PS1
#1 Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness / Nobunaga-no Yabou Bushoufuunroku (PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM2 (it's too good and too rare for youtube, sorry)

I loved the SNES version when I was younger but that's ancient history now that I have the CD ROM version with great music and a voice actor!

TR0N

Three:Super Contra (Arcade)
I just like how silly it's quotes are then you hear a car crash
"What is this place !? Keep your eyes pealed !"
Two:The King of Fighters 95 (Neo Geo)
When fighters were all the rage this was my frist kof game,that i'd play in the arcades.Afther i saw the intro i knew i was in for a treat.
One:Ys 1&2 (TG16)
Just,the intro itself with such a "great sound track" and a good old fantasy story line was enough for me playing it in the early 90's
My top 3 picks that i can i think of.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

I'd like to try to guess Derek Lee Missed His School Bus' before he posts :) .

... which I will do later when I'm not getting ready for bed!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Kitsunexus

Quote from: TRON on 10/14/2007, 04:35 AM"What is this place !?
ROFL I LOVE THAT! I love this generation's sound hardware, awesome YM with even MORE AWESOME Konami sampling!

They should make a sample library with old game PCM music samples, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

SNKNostalgia

Ninja Gaiden 1 NES - First truly bad-ass ninja cinematic intro ever. The ninjas running and then doing the aerial attacks just about makes the game.

Last Blade 2 Neo Geo- This game has two intros, but I was impressed with the music and neat cinematic style in both. Really nice on the Neo Geo CD with the arranged soundtrack.

Resident Evil 1 PSX - Yes, I liked the original intro to this game when starting a new game. It was one of the better real actor FMV intros for its time. The mean face with Chris Redfield and the hard ass cool look of Albert Wesker slicking his hair back, classic. It just really set the eerie mood of the game with the film noir style of the forest and narration. The in game acting is another story though. The GC remake did the in game acting way more justice.

Also, I am a big fan of the Metal Gear Solid intros and the PS1 Final Fantasy games. Final Fantasy 12 is the only newer one I liked for intros lately. Contra Shattered Soldier PS2 is also one I like as of lately and playing it again.

Turbo D

1. Street Fighter 2 arcade  8)

2. TMNT nes  8)

3. Sonic teh Hedgehog  8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Tatsujin

star parodia!! never got so excited and emoted by a videogame intro like that one!! ok, there is also the dra x intro! that one rules the 2nd place!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

runinruder

1) Ys Book I & II

No point going any further with rankings, since nothing deserves to be ranked up with Ys.  But here are some other games with cool openings that come to mind: El Viento (GEN), Lunar: SSSC (PSX), Parasite Eve (PSX), Dynasty Warriors 4 (PS2), Final Fantasy X (PS2), Final Fight (SNES), Cyber Knight (PCE), 3x3 Eyes (PCE CD), Exile II (PCE CD), Lords of Thunder (TCD), Madou Monogatari (PCE CD), Ranma 1/2 2 (PCE CD).
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SignOfZeta

1) Sakura Wars 3 (DC) - How I miss Sega...

2) Panzer Dragoon Azel (SS) - Still miss Sega...

3) Y's I&II (PCE) - No comment needed.
IMG

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

1. Castlevania/Dracula X
2. Dungeon Explorer II (agree with CrackTiger here)
3. Gradius II
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

rag-time4

Quote from: SNKNostalgia on 10/14/2007, 05:33 AMNinja Gaiden 1 NES - First truly bad-ass ninja cinematic intro ever. The ninjas running and then doing the aerial attacks just about makes the game.

Last Blade 2 Neo Geo- This game has two intros, but I was impressed with the music and neat cinematic style in both. Really nice on the Neo Geo CD with the arranged soundtrack.

Resident Evil 1 PSX - Yes, I liked the original intro to this game when starting a new game. It was one of the better real actor FMV intros for its time. The mean face with Chris Redfield and the hard ass cool look of Albert Wesker slicking his hair back, classic. It just really set the eerie mood of the game with the film noir style of the forest and narration. The in game acting is another story though. The GC remake did the in game acting way more justice.

Also, I am a big fan of the Metal Gear Solid intros and the PS1 Final Fantasy games. Final Fantasy 12 is the only newer one I liked for intros lately. Contra Shattered Soldier PS2 is also one I like as of lately and playing it again.
Good call on Ninja Gaiden! That was definitely one of my favorites growing up! That was the only intro music that I've actually ever downloaded on its own.

termis

In no particular order. Just the ones that pop up in my head.

Ninja Gaiden (NES) - I also gotta nominate this one (the sequel intro was pretty good, too).  I think it was one of the first games where the cinema-style cut scenes, along with that music, really added to the flair of the game.

Ys 1/2 (TGCD) - Voice and big full-screen scenes was big deal back then.  Ys intro definitely stuck out in my head.  (though the ending for part 1 was about million times better).

Virtual On (Saturn).  Love those bass guitars.  Gets me all pumped up to blow shit up.

Joe Redifer

I don't care for the crappy Working Designs-style voices in the Dungeon Explorer 2 intro.  They always have really bad acting (especially the girl) and use the same people again and again.  Also the "Alex" character is extremely creepy.  I don't know if it is supposed to be male or female but it sure is repulsive.  The music in the intro is OK but not great.

And although I love the Dracula X intro, there is one scene that bothers me every single time:
IMG

I hate that scene.  It's so wrong.  The hand is upside down! 

The ONLY way she could be getting stabbed is like this:
IMG
Chi no motherfuckin' rhondo, yo!

My favorite intros are probably (in no particular order):
-Ys Book 1 & 2 - NEC TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM Entertainment Supersystem
-Panzer Dragoon - Sega Saturn
-Soul Blade/Edge - Playstation

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/14/2007, 07:12 PMI don't care for the crappy Working Designs-style voices in the Dungeon Explorer 2 intro.  They always have really bad acting (especially the girl) and use the same people again and again.  Also the "Alex" character is extremely creepy.  I don't know if it is supposed to be male or female but it sure is repulsive.  The music in the intro is OK but not great.

And although I love the Dracula X intro, there is one scene that bothers me every single time:
IMG

IMG

She could actually be getting stabbed while the dude is walking away....

termis

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/14/2007, 07:12 PMAnd although I love the Dracula X intro, there is one scene that bothers me every single time:
IMG

IMG
That is friggin hilarious.  I never noticed that.  :lol:

GUTS

Or he could just rotate his wrist 180 degrees like humans can do and stab downward.

Joe Redifer

I thought of that, too. That would give him a weaker thrust.  Dracula would not be please with a pussified stab during sacrifices in his honor.  Also, that's less funny.

NecroPhile

Don't worry about it Joe - you just don't understand the vast powers of the undead and extremely gay.  Your drawing clearly shows that the sacrifice was unintentional and just a Ina Bauer maneuver gone horrible awry.

Back on topic and in no particular order:

Ys Book I & II
Shenmue
JB Harold Murder Club

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/14/2007, 07:12 PMI don't care for the crappy Working Designs-style voices in the Dungeon Explorer 2 intro.  They always have really bad acting (especially the girl) and use the same people again and again.  Also the "Alex" character is extremely creepy.  I don't know if it is supposed to be male or female but it sure is repulsive.  The music in the intro is OK but not great.
I don't really think of the voiced over section when I think of the intro. The two musical intros are my favorite(how they compliment the music makes them great, plus the music is performed using real instruments), but the overall production is pretty freaking impressive if you count the three pre title screen cinemas as well as the cinema(s) that preceed gaining control of your character for the first time.

Someone should hack Drac X, flip that arm over and reinsert the graphics.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Yeah, real instruments are always cool, but I think the recording quality is pretty poor on that one.  There's no low end.  It has "Dark Wizard" syndrome.  It's as if I'm listening through one of those little portable radios.  Plus I have to turn my receiver up to 9,000 on that game.

TurboXray

IMG

IMG

Haha... but your wrong. I can easily stab a sword down like *that* without bending over sideways in your drawing....

JoshTurboTrollX

QuoteHaha... but your wrong. I can easily stab a sword down like *that* without bending over sideways in your drawing....
:-kNow just where does Bonknuts put the body..... :-"
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Kitsunexus

Isn't Japan in another hemisphere though? Maybe when you go over there centrifugal force makes Dracula X display correctly.

SNKNostalgia

Digi.k

Ys book I & II (my first ever experience of seeing an anime intro)
Blue Dragon (first time seeing Akira Toriyama characters in HD)
Lost Odyssey (game not even out yet but the intro shown on recent trailers has Nobu Uematsu music that just blew me away)

OldRover

Dark Wizard (Sega CD)
Exile (TurboCD)
Parasite Eve (Playstation)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II