OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spenoza

EvilEvoIX

This Cross Wiber I'm playing is very, ummm, cheap with enemies.  It's like Nintendo hard.  Enemies literally spawn into you for a hit that's almost impossible avoid.  The game is easy enough until they add jumping and pitfalls where enemies just spam and you fall for a cheap death.  However the bosses are super easy and no tact is needed just spam them.  Very mediocre game.  I'm up to level 10.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

CrackTiger

Cross Wiber has a great soundtrack.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

seieienbu

Killed 5 bosses so far in Exile, I'm hoping to finish it up tomorrow.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 08/24/2013, 09:27 PMCross Wiber has a great soundtrack.
Indeed it does, really stands out.  I'm at the last level now, very cheap game hits and mechanics wise but I'm getting good at kicking enemies down and learned tricks to avoid spam bullets where they pass right through you. 

The shooting levels are great however the bosses are a joke.  It fells like the game just repeatedly punches you in the face to add difficulty.  No tact or progression, kinda like trying to play a game of chess where someone just keeps shaking to board.  Cryptic levels where you have to guess a way out, and super easy bosses.  It is very nostalgic however and musts been a good title in 1990 but does not hold up at all.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

CrackTiger

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 08/25/2013, 12:46 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 08/24/2013, 09:27 PMCross Wiber has a great soundtrack.
Indeed it does, really stands out.  I'm at the last level now, very cheap game hits and mechanics wise but I'm getting good at kicking enemies down and learned tricks to avoid spam bullets where they pass right through you. 

The shooting levels are great however the bosses are a joke.  It fells like the game just repeatedly punches you in the face to add difficulty.  No tact or progression, kinda like trying to play a game of chess where someone just keeps shaking to board.  Cryptic levels where you have to guess a way out, and super easy bosses.  It is very nostalgic however and musts been a good title in 1990 but does not hold up at all.
It's another game that was well on its way to being great, but didn't receive the final polish and tweaking it needed. The variety of the stage design and general gameplay is nice and it would be a classic if even a few gameplay tweaks were implemented. At least it is cheap and easy to acquire.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Jordan

I have been playing Raiden since right before VGS. I played in the tournament and was mortified by my low score :-({|=, as I had the second lowest score. Since then I have clawed my way to the forth level, however I've only made it past the third boss three or four times so far. I anticipate being able to consistently get past that boss sometime this decade ](*,).  To alleviate my sometimes extreme frustration with Raiden I have been relaxing with a few other games- Mysterious Song, Pyramid Plunder, and horror of horrors a non turbo game Chrono Trigger.

turboswimbz

Quote from: Jordan on 08/26/2013, 03:23 PMand horror of horrors a non turbo game Chrono Trigger.
IMG

Oh my lords of thunder.  PLease censor such things from now on

I don't think my heart can stand it.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Bardoly

I played through and beat Galaxy Deka Gayvan last week.  Below is the comment/mini-review that I posted on PCE Daisakusen! concerning this game.

I recently played through this game with my sons and really enjoyed it!  I have to rate this beat-'em-up as a '10' out of 10, because it just simply does what it's supposed to do.  It's a fun simple beat-'em-up with decent graphics and IT HAS A 2-PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS MODE!  While the controls are rather simple, what with only having 2 buttons, IT HAS A 2-PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS MODE!  Using a 3-button controller will likely be useful to most gamers, because you need to use the 'Select' button to switch your character to 'Power Suit' mode, and you will be doing this often enough to make the 3-button controller useful.  Did I mention that THIS GAME HAS A 2-PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS MODE!?  Well, it does, and that makes this game so much more fun to play.  There are so  many great games for the PC Engine which do not have a 2-player simultaneous mode, that I was very happy to discover that this one did.

This game also has a cute-but-rather-lame fighting mode, where you and your opponent can choose from either one of the two main characters or from three different enemies which you fight throughout the game.  This mode will probably not get a lot of play time, but it's nice that they thought to add it to this game.  I think of it more as a bonus feature than as part of the game.   This game also has cut scenes, voice acting, and whatnot as a CD game should.  Anyway, get this game if you don't already have it!

Jordan

[-X Nope it's good for you to get a heart attack every now and again.

esteban

Quote from: Bardoly on 08/26/2013, 07:20 PMI played through and beat Galaxy Deka Gayvan last week.  Below is the comment/mini-review that I posted on PCE Daisakusen! concerning this game.

I recently played through this game with my sons and really enjoyed it!  I have to rate this beat-'em-up as a '10' out of 10, because it just simply does what it's supposed to do.  It's a fun simple beat-'em-up with decent graphics and IT HAS A 2-PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS MODE!  While the controls are rather simple, what with only having 2 buttons, IT HAS A 2-PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS MODE!  Using a 3-button controller will likely be useful to most gamers, because you need to use the 'Select' button to switch your character to 'Power Suit' mode, and you will be doing this often enough to make the 3-button controller useful.  Did I mention that THIS GAME HAS A 2-PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS MODE!?  Well, it does, and that makes this game so much more fun to play.  There are so  many great games for the PC Engine which do not have a 2-player simultaneous mode, that I was very happy to discover that this one did.

This game also has a cute-but-rather-lame fighting mode, where you and your opponent can choose from either one of the two main characters or from three different enemies which you fight throughout the game.  This mode will probably not get a lot of play time, but it's nice that they thought to add it to this game.  I think of it more as a bonus feature than as part of the game.   This game also has cut scenes, voice acting, and whatnot as a CD game should.  Anyway, get this game if you don't already have it!
What? I do not know about this game. Never payed it, never looked for it. WTF!?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

turboswimbz

Quote from: Jordan on 08/26/2013, 07:35 PM[-X Nope it's good for you to get a heart attack every now and again.
Fair enough, but this ain't over yet. I'll be BONK! er ummm back.

Quote from: Bardoly on 08/26/2013, 07:20 PMI played through and beat Galaxy Deka Gayvan last week.  Below is the comment/mini-review that I posted on PCE Daisakusen! concerning this game.

I recently played through this game with my sons and really enjoyed it! 
This was on my list, I think it'll bump up closer to the top after such a glowing review.  Sounds like its worth more than a Try.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

seieienbu

Finished Exile.  Definitely worth the play-through.  My one complaint now is that it left me wanting more.  Stupid Wicked Phenomenon's stupid price tag.

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 08/27/2013, 07:00 PMFinished Exile.  Definitely worth the play-through.  My one complaint now is that it left me wanting more.  Stupid Wicked Phenomenon's stupid price tag.
It's a totally different experience. I have replayed Exile many, many times over the years.... Wicked P., on the other hand, has been far less alluring.

NecroPhile

Get the PC Engine version - it's cheap and better anyway.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

geise

Exile Wicked . P is no where near as good as the first.  Thank Working Design's for that one.  Get the pc-e version of WP if you don't want to throw your controller through a wall.

Bardoly

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/26/2013, 08:21 PM

This was on my list, I think it'll bump up closer to the top after such a glowing review.  Sounds like its worth more than a Try.
Yep, get it.  I was (very) pleasantly surprised.

reno5

Curently playing Klax on my Express. Kinda shy to say this but, it's my first time at Klax and i kinda like it :)

esteban

Quote from: reno5 on 08/29/2013, 11:47 AMCurently playing Klax on my Express. Kinda shy to say this but, it's my first time at Klax and i kinda like it :)
KLAX ain't a bad game, it just is one of those games that NOBODY talks about daily/drools over hourly/starts a cult over bi-annually/etc.

MrFlutterPie

I actually enjoy Klax myself.  I think I might have mentioned it in this thread too.

bob

Nando

Quote from: Bardoly on 08/28/2013, 02:46 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/26/2013, 08:21 PM

Yep, get it.  I was (very) pleasantly surprised.
Really dig the cartoony feel with all the secondary animation and the bad guys shaking their heads and what not. I need to add this one to the list. Nice review Bardoly!

esteban

This has been the biggest love fest for KLAX in the history of this forum (and any other forum I frequented in the last decade). DAMN!

Did I mention how much I live the CLEAN, CRISP SOUND EFFECTS in KLAX?  :pcgs:

JoshTurboTrollX

I loved Klax too, I just wish it would have had the NES soundtrack along for the ride on TG.... :S
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

VenomMacbeth

Ran through Genpei Toumaden 1 and 2 again, back-to-back.  I really need some more adventure/platformer games on the PCE -.-
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

seieienbu

Starting Popful Mail tonight.  I think I'ma try to run the side-scrolling gauntlet until I'm out of games in the genre.

Bardoly

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 08/29/2013, 05:35 PMRan through Genpei Toumaden 1 and 2 again, back-to-back.  I really need some more adventure/platformer games on the PCE -.-
Quote from: seieienbu on 08/29/2013, 07:03 PMStarting Popful Mail tonight.  I think I'ma try to run the side-scrolling gauntlet until I'm out of games in the genre. 
Both of you ought to try Blue (Aoi) Blink.  I've been playing it recently and have really been enjoying it.

seieienbu

Looks fun.  I may emulate it at some point but I can't play japanese hucards.  I should really get around to region modding something...

Nec.Game.head

I played some Splatter House yesterday . Gonna get back on it today and see if I can finally beat this game ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: seieienbu on 08/29/2013, 08:26 PMLooks fun.  I may emulate it at some point but I can't play japanese hucards.  I should really get around to region modding something...
You definitely should.  There are lots of titles exclusive to Japan, and many titles that aren't are still cheaper on the PCE (for example, Samurai Ghost CIB will cost you a good $50, but the Japanese version is like $10-$15.)
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

albatross

tiger heli - loving it!  never played the pce version until now - only nes - what a great game!

Mzo

Trying to master R-Type on the TG16 after literally ignoring the game for years.  The game looks gorgeous aside from some flickering.  I can definitely see why this was a killer app early in the PCE's life.  It looks even better since I just came off of beating the SMS version, lol.

I think I have like 5 versions of that game on different systems.  I had played it so little that I never realized Super R-Type on the SNES was a weird remix game =X
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Bardoly

I played through and beat Cho Aniki a few days ago.  Below is the comment/mini-review that I posted on PCE Daisakusen! concerning this game.

I recently played through and beat this WEIRD horizontal shoot-'em-up. I had never played it before, & I just marathoned through it on 'Easy' difficulty mode in around 2 hours or so. I used the female hero Benton for all but the final level. Here are my reactions to the game in order:

1  Graphics are odd.
2  Music is oddly cute & interesting.
3  Graphics are weird.
4  My ship/hero is nice and small.
5  My options look strange.
6  Why do I randomly shoot this wide power shot as opposed to my regular shot?
7  Enemies look offbeat.
8  Why do I have no control over my options? They randomly follow me around or commit suicide. This is frustrating, because I could really use the extra firepower.
9  This boss looks weird.
10 This game is not too difficult, but it's no cake-walk either. I have died many times.
11 Nice! I don't lose all of my power-ups when I die.
12 There is some psychedelic art in this game.
13 This freaky-looking boss has some very intriguing & captivating music. Perhaps I should allow my hero to die, so that I can listen to this music some more.
14 I have finally arrived at the last stage! The third miniboss is mindblowingly bizarre!
15 Wow, this mindblowingly bizarre miniboss is incredibly difficult! I am tempted to put this game up for the night, because I still cannot consistently get to this boss, much less beat him.
16 I have realized that Idaten is the FAR superior character to play as, so Benten gets sidelined for the rest of the game.
17 I've learned that my power shots & option's suicide charges are NOT random.
18 I have somehow miraculously defeated said mindblowingly bizarre miniboss.
19 Wow! I somehow cruised through the rest of the level and beat the final boss without losing another life!  I am shocked!
20 The game is over. I can come down from this hallucinogenic trip I have just taken.
21 Who am I?

I rated this game as a '9' out of 10. If your sanity can handle it, then buy it, and play it. That is all.

seieienbu

So, playing more popful mail today.  Once I'm done I'm going to replay the Sega CD version to make sure of this, but I'm pretty sure I like it better than the PC Engine version. 

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 08/30/2013, 02:42 PMYou definitely should.  There are lots of titles exclusive to Japan, and many titles that aren't are still cheaper on the PCE (for example, Samurai Ghost CIB will cost you a good $50, but the Japanese version is like $10-$15.)
I used to have a converter but I either lost it or broke it 10 years ago or more.  I've actually got a few PC Engine games and an arcade card pro that have just been collecting dust since.  I really should get around to having a region modded system. These days it's a lot cheaper than buying a new converter.

Bardoly

I played through and beat Blue (Aoi) Blink yesterday.  Below is the comment/mini-review that I posted on PCE Daisakusen! concerning this game.

I rated this above average platformer as a '7' out of 10.

Apparently this game is based off of a story of a boy whose father gets kidnapped, and a magical blue donkey assists the boy in rescuing the father. The boy must travel in this story, and along the way he finds 4 people to help him.

Gameplay-wise, this is a platformer with an overhead stage select screen, where once you have beaten a level, you may open up new paths to new stages. Each level will have 5-6 stages in the level, of which you don't have to play through each stage to beat the level. In each level, there is a hidden key to the boss's door which must be found before fighting the boss. Unfortunately, the key's hiding place may be difficult to find, because it will be in an invisible pot which can only be found by shooting it, so you may end up randomly jumping and shooting through the stages trying to find the key. Each stage will have 3 of the 5 characters 'asigned' to it, and while playing through the stage, you may cycle through the 3, choosing which one will be active at a given time. Each of the 5 characters plays differently as follows:

Boy - Average height, average jump height, weak shuriken shot
Girl - Short, high jump height, can't shoot
Sailor - Average height, short jump height, very powerful lobbed cannonball shot
Tall Thief - Tall, short jump height, weak-but-fast boomerang shot
Short Thief - Short, short jump height, powerful spread fireball shot

I found the short thief to be my favorite character because of his powerful spread fireball shot. You will find yourself pressing 'Select' to cycle to a different needed character, so using a 3-button controller to play this game with may be useful to some. The game's lack of English is not a barrier at all to enjoying it. The game does have unlimited continues, but no save or password capability, so it must be beaten in one sitting. Anyway, I do recommend this game to those who enjoy platformers, so get it, and play it!

RoyVegas

Been playing the hell out of Raiden still.  The boss of level 5 is bad but I can get past him here and there.  The boss on level 6 is damn near impossible and have only got passed him 2-3 times.  I'll keep trying but holy hell is this game frustrating!
All is well. :)

Bardoly

Quote from: RoyVegas on 09/03/2013, 02:29 PMBeen playing the hell out of Raiden still.  The boss of level 5 is bad but I can get past him here and there.  The boss on level 6 is damn near impossible and have only got passed him 2-3 times.  I'll keep trying but holy hell is this game frustrating!
:-({|=

My sister has been playing Raiden ever since VGS back in July, and she's still stuck on levels 3 and 4, so you're ahead of her, but she may catch up to you before too long.   :-"

RoyVegas

I wish her all the best of luck.  Once you die and lose your power ups, its horrible trying to get far enough to power back up.  Just make sure she knows that she can get the fairies by shooting certain trees.

With the fairy, once you die and get kicked backed, the fairy pops up and tosses out a few power ups to help you get started again.  You can get one on level 1 on the tree to the right, right before the river with the 4 turrets on the other side of it and the ship that gives the red/blue power up.  I don't recall off the top of my head but I do know there is a second fairy that I've found but I don't usually have to get it as I don't die that early.  I think it's on level 3-4 but I'll have to check and repost it. The easiest way to find them (in later levels) is when you have homing missles and they start randomly shooting at a tree out of the blue.  Does she know about the fairies?
All is well. :)

albatross

new adventure island - good game - just started it - never played it as a kid

Mzo

As a big Adventure Island fan, NAI blew my goddamned mind when I played it last year.  It was on an emulator and I dropped everything I was doing and trolled eBay until I could bid up a copy.  Still came out pretty expensive but I had to have it.

IMO it's the best Adventure Island game made.  It's sad how badly it crushes the SNES game.
My Backloggery

MrFlutterPie

I've been playing Cotton.

I have the PCE version and there are cut scenes in between the levels with voice acting.  I don't speak Japanese but I think the gist of the first cut scene after level 1 is Cotton wanted her willows for helping out but the fairy told her she'd get paid after the job was done 100%.  Cotton cleverly retorts by grabbing the fairy and starts to crush her.  The fairy than promises that there is a huge delicious willow out there that she can have if she helps the faires all the way through.

Mzo

I've been playing Monster Lair today.  That game is a pain in my ass.  It's the last Wonder Boy/Monster World game I haven't finished.
My Backloggery

Official Ninja

The English audio / text version of Ys IV
So far I've gotten to the boss in the Lava pits at the tomb.
Have to figure out how to beat him..

chany60126

Quote from: Official Ninja on 09/05/2013, 08:07 AMThe English audio / text version of Ys IV
So far I've gotten to the boss in the Lava pits at the tomb.
Have to figure out how to beat him..
That boss is very quick on its feet. It helps if you have a potion in your inventory. I like the sound effect it makes when you hurt it, heh.

seieienbu

Made it to the 5'th level of Cotton for the first time.

Official Ninja

Quote from: seieienbu on 09/06/2013, 01:34 PMMade it to the 5'th level of Cotton for the first time.
That's great. I can't get past the 2nd..

TheIronMango

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: seieienbu on 09/06/2013, 01:34 PMMade it to the 5'th level of Cotton for the first time.
Nice!

I just hit the 3rd myself.  It's a tough but fun game for sure.

munchiaz

I still have yet to beat cotton. Made it to level 5 last time i played. I love the game but hate that her sprite is so fucking huge

Xak

Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic