10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

I just bought a copy of "Virtual On"!

Started by MotoRoaderMike, 03/03/2008, 11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotoRoaderMike

I can't wait to get it. I remember enjoying it the rare times I played it at the arcade. Sounds and looks like fun!!!
/forumsiggs6.jpg
Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Joe Redifer

The second Virtual On game is based in Canada or something like that.  And why isn't this game called Virtua On?

Mobius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/03/2008, 11:56 PMThe second Virtual On game is based in Canada or something like that.  And why isn't this game called Virtua On?
It's too hard to say.

I had the NetLink version of Virtual On and played a few games online.  Kicked some butt, too.  :mrgreen:

guyjin

The Saturn version is the only home port of the game, as far as I'm aware.

Also, it's called "Virtual on" because it's that much more awesome than the plain-old 'virtua' games.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guyjin on 03/04/2008, 01:19 AMThe Saturn version is the only home port of the game, as far as I'm aware.
There is a PC port, PCs usually fit in homes so it is a home port.

And VO kicks MAJOR ASS.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Joe Redifer

Apparently nobody here has played the Dreamcast version (which can work with the Saturn sticks if you have the Total Control 3).

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/04/2008, 05:49 AMApparently nobody here has played the Dreamcast version (which can work with the Saturn sticks if you have the Total Control 3).
Well, thats a different game. Oratorio Tangram as opposed to Cyber Troopers.

Cyber Troopers was released for Saturn and Windows but the recent PS2 version is, from what they say, a freakishly great port of the Model 2 original. The only problem with this that I see is that I prefer the 2nd game over the 1st one so much that I can't see the point in playing the first one very often these days. I do have it for Saturn though. The US Netlink version and the JP standard version.
IMG

Ceti Alpha

VirtuaOn. Apply directly to your Saturn. VirtuaOn. Apply directly to you Saturn.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

guyjin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/04/2008, 06:42 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/04/2008, 05:49 AMApparently nobody here has played the Dreamcast version (which can work with the Saturn sticks if you have the Total Control 3).
Well, thats a different game. Oratorio Tangram as opposed to Cyber Troopers.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

QuoteCyber Troopers was released for Saturn and Windows but the recent PS2 version is, from what they say, a freakishly great port of the Model 2 original. The only problem with this that I see is that I prefer the 2nd game over the 1st one so much that I can't see the point in playing the first one very often these days. I do have it for Saturn though. The US Netlink version and the JP standard version.
There's a version of Cyber Troopers for the PS2? The only VO game I was aware of on the PS2 was Marz, which sucked like a black hole.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/04/2008, 06:42 AMWell, thats a different game. Oratorio Tangram as opposed to Cyber Troopers.
And it's a different AWESOME GAME, best version of VO EVER, unfortunately I let a friend borrow it and apparently he used it to resurface a table. I gave him a black eye (he's a pussy) and we don't speak anymore.

Quote from: guyjin on 03/04/2008, 11:47 AMThere's a version of Cyber Troopers for the PS2? The only VO game I was aware of on the PS2 was Marz, which sucked like a black hole.
Yeah Marz sucks, but there's a SEGA AGES import that is like everybody says a near 1:1 port of the arcade game, with some enhancements. I'd be dammed if America receives it though.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/virtualon/virtualon.htm
http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/segaages/segaages8.htm

TR0N

Well mike i realy suggest getting a pair of the saturn twin stick then.

No,it won't cost ya a fortune either beside it's the best way to play vo.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

termis

Game rules. I have the US Netlink version, the JP version, the Korean Samsung release.

The sequel on the DC is a much better game, though the twinsticks are mandatory for the sequel.

MotoRoaderMike

/forumsiggs6.jpg

NecroPhile

Quote from: MotoRoaderMike on 03/05/2008, 10:29 AMIt won't cost a fortune? Are you sure? Because look at this:
You can't base their value on prices from ebay's biggest douche or on a brand new unit.  If you keep your eyes open, you'll get a decent deal like this one.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 03/05/2008, 11:02 AM
Quote from: MotoRoaderMike on 03/05/2008, 10:29 AMIt won't cost a fortune? Are you sure? Because look at this:
You can't base their value on prices from ebay's biggest douche or on a brand new unit.  If you keep your eyes open, you'll get a decent deal like this one.
The TwinSticks NEED the multi-tap? Like it's one stick per port? 0_o

MotoRoaderMike

Now that's just downright ridiculous.
/forumsiggs6.jpg

SignOfZeta

I have two sets of Saturn Twinsticks and two DC adaptors. I'm sure I payed less than $100 for the whole set up. You just have to be patient and wait for good deals.
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 03/05/2008, 02:06 PMThe TwinSticks NEED the multi-tap? Like it's one stick per port? 0_o
no.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guyjin on 03/05/2008, 05:13 PM
Quote from: Kitsunexus on 03/05/2008, 02:06 PMThe TwinSticks NEED the multi-tap? Like it's one stick per port? 0_o
no.
Yeah, I'm not sure WTF he's talking about. The twin sticks basically have 8 directions and 5 buttons, whereas the  stock pad has 4 directions and 9 buttons, so they have the same number of outputs, and they fit in the same socket as any other controller.

I have at least 3 Saturn multitaps though, so if that was the case I'd be set. I hoard Saturn hardware for some reason. Its my one nonsensical gaming weakness. I have enough crap to host 2 separate 8 player games of Bomberman SS at once, and I've done it several times.
IMG

termis

No, you don't need the multitap to use the twinstick -- the guy was just bundling that in his auction, for whatever reason.

As for the cost of the twinsticks, I'd say the saturn VO is perfectly playable using the joypad, so I personally wouldn't spend more than $20 for it.  But if you ever wanna play the much better sequel on the DC, it is absolutely mandatory, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.  Just buy the total control 3 adapter SS->DC controller adapter, and you'll be able to use the SS twinsticks on the DC, so you're golden.

All that said, if you ever visit Asia, Saturn Twinsticks are RIDICULOUSLY cheap. 

I found:
- ~$20 (or was it $30? Whatever...) for 2 brand new, boxed twinsticks, with a shrink-wrapped copy of Samsung release of Virtual On. (in 2000)
- ~$3 used, was missing one truss screw on top, but it was in 100% working order. (in 2005)

Granted, those were still bargains in each country (Korea and Japan, respectively), but even full-pop prices are still waaaaay less than what they'd be in the west.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: termisAs for the cost of the twinsticks, I'd say the saturn VO is perfectly playable using the joypad, so I personally wouldn't spend more than $20 for it.  But if you ever wanna play the much better sequel on the DC, it is absolutely mandatory, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.  Just buy the total control 3 adapter SS->DC controller adapter, and you'll be able to use the SS twinsticks on the DC, so you're golden.
I totally agree with this.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Me and my brother played OT fine with the pad....

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 03/06/2008, 07:19 PMMe and my brother played OT fine with the pad....
No, you just think you did.
IMG

termis

trust me on this one kitsu, maybe you had fun playing with the pad, but having the twinsticks for VOOT brings the playability of the game to a completely different level.

Assuming that two people with equal amount of video game skill went against each other, one with the pad, and other with twinsticks, I can confidently say that it'd be impossible for the one using the pad to beat the one who's using the twinsticks.

SignOfZeta

Its possible to play many games without the special controller. Guitar Freaks, Beatmania, Samba de Amigo, Para Para Paradise, Pop'n Music...you can play Street Fighter II on PCE and Genesis without the 6 button pads, hell its possible to play Genesis games with a 2600 controller even, but without B and C buttons (never mind X, Y, and Z) you aren't going to get very far.

VOOT though is something you might think you are actually playing for real in versus mode with two people if you have never used the Twinstick. If you are used the the right controller though its pretty much like playing with one arm tied behind your back. The biggest advance from CT to OT was the air dash, and they are near impossible to control on the stock pad and aiming without lock-on is really fucking hard since you are supposed to move with one stick, and rotate with the other stick when both sticks are in the position for the left thumb. I guess if you had two left thumbs...?

To be fair there are probably all sorts of tricks for using the pad to better effect, but I haven't pissed with it because it drives me nuts.
IMG