Hey hey hey, let's talk about golf games.

Started by MotoRoaderMike, 09/02/2008, 05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotoRoaderMike

Golf is my favorite sport (unless racing is considered a sport), and I'd like to talk about some golf games. I don't mean that new, realistic stuff like Tiger Woods, I mean like, old school stuff. Games like PGA Tour Golf on the Genesis, Jack Nicklaus Golf on the NES, and True Golf Classics on the SNES. These are great, old school golf games, and they're fun to play. And this was a time where you didn't have to be all realistic and stuff, when certain sports-themed games were still FUN. And back in the mid 90's when we got our first computer, I enjoyed playing Microsoft Golf and Fuji Golf.
/forumsiggs6.jpg
Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

Joe Redifer

Neo Turf Masters on the Neo geo is one of my favorites!  I actually played the Neo Geo Pocket Color version well before I was awar that there was a Neo Geo Real Deal version.  Hot Shots Golf 5 on the PS3 would be awesome as well except that the difficulty is set much too high.

Keranu

Top Players Golf for Neo Geo is my favorite golfing game of all time. Such relaxing music and graphics and fun courses. I also love chipping balls out of sand traps in that game; the physics for it are just so much fun. Definitely one of the most comforting games ever made in my opinion. Neo Turf Masters is a lot of fun too, but it's too hyper for me.

There was also an old golf game on DOS I used to play as a kid that I wish I knew the name for. I don't really remember much about it, but the swinging mechanics were fun and it had a cool, simplistic graphical style. There was also this fun golf game I've played on NES a couple of times, but don't remmeber the name.

The Turbo has a few golf games, but I didn't find any of them to be really special.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Arkhan Asylum

Im all about GOLF on gameboy.

That's probably my favorite golf game.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

guyjin

TR0N

This is the only golf game i've enjoyed  :wink:
Though most know how much i rant about this neogeo classic.
OH NO!!
Though for any one that does not have a,NeoGeo it is on the vc and on snk classic vol1  :wink:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

bust3dstr8

Tron, Neo Turfmasters looks like a pretty cool game  8)
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

SuperDeadite

Neo Turf Masters is certainly fun, I'll have to get a home cart someday.  But its soooo expensive :(

I had only heard bad things about Top Players, but now I'll probably pick up a copy, its super cheap. :)

My favorite golf game though is of course Go Go Birdie Chance! on the Turbo.  Awesome game, though
you do need a little bit of Japanese knowledge to get the most out of it.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

NecroPhile

I'm not really a fan of any golf games, except for Go! Go! Birdie Chance.  Like SuperDeadite noted, the language barrier kept me from getting very far, but I enjoyed it anyway.

Quote from: guyjin on 09/02/2008, 11:40 PMthat's what golf does to me.
Makes your pussy sleepy, eh?  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

rolins

I used to play a lot of Golden Tee at local pizza parlor when I was in high school. Those were good times. I play it now on Mame but I'm thinking of getting a arcade trackball for it. Playing Golden Tee with a mouse just isn't the same.

kid_rondeau

Power Golf, being the only golf video game for any system that I've played, is by default my favorite.

That said, I actually enjoy it quite a bit, and my wife even challenges me to 18 holes every now and again.

NecroPhile

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 09/03/2008, 05:00 PMThat said, I actually enjoy it quite a bit, and my wife even challenges me to 18 holes every now and again.
I don't think that I could handle eighteen holes.  Doesn't it start to chafe or something?  :-"
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

kid_rondeau

Quote from: rolins on 09/03/2008, 12:46 PMI used to play a lot of Golden Tee at local pizza parlor when I was in high school. Those were good times...
All respect to Golden Tee 2K and to Golf in general, but I too remember seeing that game at a LOT of pizza places and Bar & Grilles growing up here in New England...but my strongest memory is of how it felt to have my hopes crushed...I would walk into the restaurant hoping that they would have a video game that I could p'wn, then I would become excited when I saw the cabinet from afar...and then I would see it was a f**king GOLF GAME!!!

AARRGGHHH!!! I can play golf in real life! That's why we need shooters; I'll probably never fly a spaceship!!

But that was a long time ago. I've calmed down significantly.  :roll:

kid_rondeau

Quote from: guest on 09/03/2008, 05:03 PMI don't think that I could handle eighteen holes.  Doesn't it start to chafe or something?  :-"
Well, that's why I call it a challenge!   :mrgreen:

MotoRoaderMike

The fact that the only video games I ever see on things like ferries and other places like are games like Golden Tee Golf has made me REALLY hate it.
/forumsiggs6.jpg

SignOfZeta

Neo Turf Masters (aka: Big Tournament Golf) on Neo Geo Pocket is the best golf game ever. SNK has made several great sports games, but NTM is extremely impressive to me since I actually love it, and I basically think real life golf is totally stupid.

Once you license a sport, it sucks all the fun out of it.

Super Baseball 2020? Awesome! MLB 08 The Show™? Sucks!
IMG

Alt-Nintega

Honestly Kirby's Dream Course is the only golf game I ever enjoyed.

MotoRoaderMike

I forgot about Turf Masters! Both the original and the Neo Geo Pocket one are awesome!
/forumsiggs6.jpg

rag-time4

Quote from: Mr. Opportunity on 09/04/2008, 01:30 PMHonestly Kirby's Dream Course is the only golf game I ever enjoyed.
I had an online buddy that I used to play dream course with all the time! Nice call on that one!

The most fun thing for me was sinking a really long distance shot without touching the edges of the hole.... but it always felt more like basketball in that sense so I always said "SWISH!" whenever I did that!

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

o.pwuaioc

What's the best golf game on the PC Engine? I see there are not many options. I really enjoy Mario Golf for the Game Boy Color and of course Kirby Dream Course, but I was hoping for something a bit relaxing.

Is there anything like World Court Tennis where there's a bit of an RPG element? Perhaps another system if not PCE?

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 07/09/2017, 10:56 PMWhat's the best golf game on the PC Engine? I see there are not many options. I really enjoy Mario Golf for the Game Boy Color and of course Kirby Dream Course, but I was hoping for something a bit relaxing.

Is there anything like World Court Tennis where there's a bit of an RPG element? Perhaps another system if not PCE?
I'm not into golf games, but Power Golf 2 was fun and impressive for as much as I played it.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

SUPER ALBATROSS MOTHER FUCKERS DO YOU EVEN.

Arkhan Asylum

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/10/2017, 12:37 AMSUPER ALBATROSS MOTHER FUCKERS DO YOU EVEN.
How import friendly is it? Will I be able to get by without knowing Japanese?

Also, how's Ganbare Golf Boys?

soop

Quote from: MotoRoaderMike on 09/03/2008, 10:41 PMThe fact that the only video games I ever see on things like ferries and other places like are games like Golden Tee Golf has made me REALLY hate it.
I like Golden Tee.  Fun fact, we used to have a machine in my local pub that everyone used to compete on, and Andrew Lincoln from the Walking Dead used to come in and play it when he was shooting nearby.  That was before he was super famous though.

I guess Wii Sports Golf doesn't count as retro, since that's easily the most fun Golf game I've played, but I have been meaning to spend a little time on Gameboy Golf and maybe the GBAs Mario Golf.  I remember a friend recommending PGA tour (Megadrive) as a decent party game too, and I thought he was mad, especially with Micro Machines being available, but I suppose golf is more conducive to conversation and drinking.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

johnnykonami

You guys nailed all the golf games I can think off the top of my head.

But do you also like Mini-Golf?  I always wanted to play, but never did, Zany Golf.  I remember looking through game magazines and ogling over that one back in the day, but I think it was only for Amiga and Genesis, neither of which I owned back then.

Today, I have Fun Fun Minigolf on the Wii.  And I just bought the Atari collection on steam which I believe includes the 2600 version of mini-golf.  Oh yeah, and now I am remembering about rocket bowl on the 360, which is sort of a combo of golf and bowling.

soop

Zany Golf was on the Mac and Dos I think too, but the Amiga version was the best.  Ross's game Dungeon had an episode about it:
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2017, 05:33 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/10/2017, 12:37 AMSUPER ALBATROSS MOTHER FUCKERS DO YOU EVEN.
How import friendly is it? Will I be able to get by without knowing Japanese?

Also, how's Ganbare Golf Boys?
Perfectly import friendly.  It's golf. 

It's not the best looking golf game (power golf probably is?), but it's got the "play against bitches" mode that I liked.   I also like the Albatross games.  The MSX ones were fun.

Ganbare Golf Boys is basically any other golf game. 

Really, all of these games are like the same game practically.

The best one to play if you want a different experience is go go birdie chance because it's cute and has girls.

Otherwise its stumpy and/or boring people in pants and shirts hitting balls in various grassy areas.

you're not going to find a wide difference like NES where Golf was dumb looking once NES Open came out, for sure.

bartre

So we're not gonna talk about the 9 year NecroPhile bump?
okay.....

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: bartre on 07/10/2017, 08:16 PMSo we're not gonna talk about the 9 year NecroPhile bump?
okay.....
Why start a new thread when this one is perfectly good?

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

TelcoSurveyor

There is only Neo Turf Masters. It's damn near perfect.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

The last two golf games I played were:

Japan Pro Golf - 64DD - I bought this game years ago because I wanted to have the only actual game on the 64DD.  It is fucking awful and none of the mechanics are any good, compared to golf games that even pre-date it.  I was playing and my ball was on the fringe of some water and they had my golfer standing at a 90 degree angle on the bank of the pond, was absolutely ridiculous.  Still, this game gets played more than it should, because people often will say "I want to try the 64DD" when they visit.

Mario Golf World Tour - 3DS - This is a fun game in short bursts, though the amount of stuff to do in the game actually feels a little overwhelming considering I just want to play it quick and casually.  This is the most recently released golf game I have put any time into and I recommend it for sure.

DragonmasterDan

With the recent acquisition of a Neo SD I've played some Neo Turf Masters. It's excellent
--DragonmasterDan

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/14/2017, 12:36 PMWith the recent acquisition of a Neo SD I've played some Neo Turf Masters. It's excellent
How is that? I hear some horrible things. I don't have a LCD TV, so I can't really use one (unless I want to unplug my PC monitor and get an HDMI to DV-i adapter). Foregoing the AES and selling the NGCD means it's back on my radar.

Neo Turf Masters for the NGPC is should arrive any day now.

On a related note: the "characters" in Hot Shots Fore! are almost too irritating to play. I may sell that one, too, though I need to give it further play time to make sure.

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 07/14/2017, 12:54 PMNeo Turf Masters for the NGPC is should arrive any day now.
I didn't know there was a Turf Masters on the NGPC; it seems like a pretty good title for the system.  I'll expect a full report after your game comes in.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 07/14/2017, 12:54 PMHow is that? I hear some horrible things. I don't have a LCD TV, so I can't really use one (unless I want to unplug my PC monitor and get an HDMI to DV-i adapter). Foregoing the AES and selling the NGCD means it's back on my radar.
I'm a little confused regarding why you seem to think there's an HDMI requirement for the NeoSD. I'm playing mine on my AES hooked up to a CRT.

The device itself is fine, though the larger games do take a few minutes to flash.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 07/16/2017, 05:57 AM
Quote from: guest on 07/14/2017, 12:54 PMNeo Turf Masters for the NGPC is should arrive any day now.
I didn't know there was a Turf Masters on the NGPC; it seems like a pretty good title for the system.  I'll expect a full report after your game comes in.
I think this would be one of the reasons I would want an NGPC. The one person I knew with NGPC only liked one particular genre (I'll let you guess which one) and... this seriously limited my enjoyment of the handheld.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/16/2017, 07:10 AM
Quote from: guest on 07/14/2017, 12:54 PMHow is that? I hear some horrible things. I don't have a LCD TV, so I can't really use one (unless I want to unplug my PC monitor and get an HDMI to DV-i adapter). Foregoing the AES and selling the NGCD means it's back on my radar.
I'm a little confused regarding why you seem to think there's an HDMI requirement for the NeoSD. I'm playing mine on my AES hooked up to a CRT.

The device itself is fine, though the larger games do take a few minutes to flash.
Derp, I thought you had meant the Neo Geo X, not the NeoSD.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 07/16/2017, 08:50 AMI think this would be one of the reasons I would want an NGPC. The one person I knew with NGPC only liked one particular genre (I'll let you guess which one) and... this seriously limited my enjoyment of the handheld.
The NGPC Neo Turf Masters is great, and if you think that's fantastic wait til you try Neo Geo Cup 98.. which sucks because it's Soccer.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/16/2017, 10:34 AM
Quote from: esteban on 07/16/2017, 08:50 AMI think this would be one of the reasons I would want an NGPC. The one person I knew with NGPC only liked one particular genre (I'll let you guess which one) and... this seriously limited my enjoyment of the handheld.
The NGPC Neo Turf Masters is great, and if you think that's fantastic wait til you try Neo Geo Cup 98.. which sucks because it's Soccer.
Exactly.

Back in the laundromat days...there was a NEO GEO 2-slot with FÜTBOWLOCRAP and Aero Fighters 2.

Guess what I played.

:)

Gypsy

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/16/2017, 12:02 PMNeo Geo Cup 98
Yup.

Also, if I wasn't putting quarters into the machine, I would be willing to play SPORTZBALL NEOGEO...but if I am spending money....

:)

seieienbu

I'm going to guess fighters.  Was it fighting games? 

...all these years later, and I'm still a bit disappointed in all of the NGPC fighting games.  I wish the system had included 4 buttons but beyond that, I think the system really should've included layered sprites.  With only 3 colors per palette, you just couldn't make the characters look good.  Black, white, accent color.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93