10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Xymati

Started by Keranu, 03/15/2009, 04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keranu

Fragmare of MindRec hasn't had internet access since July, but he came back last night and he has shown off some new Xymati work he has been working on during the gap. Prepare for some moutherwatering!

/xy_title05.gif
/mars02.gif
/magma06.gif
/hyperspace03.gif

And here's one that actually isn't new, but some of you may have missed.

/night_city02.gif

IMG
IMG
IMG
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

TurboXray

FraGMarE is the man  :D

termis

WOW.  :shock:

That's fucking cool man.

Finish it, and they'll have a buyer in me.  (Just hopefully it can be on a pressed CD! [-o<)

ccovell

Looks FANtastic!  Hope the programming and pace are just as tight as the pixel art.  :wink:

CrackTiger

I like everything except the design of the logo (but the effect is cool).

This shot reminds me of the first stage in Sapphire-

/night_city02.gif

Hopefully the score strip will get a fancier design. Otherwise the in-game graphics look like they will be up there with some of the best PCE shooters.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

I forgot to warn people, the GIFs are pretty big so you have to wait for them to finish loading to see them in full speed.

Quote from: Chris CovellLooks FANtastic!  Hope the programming and pace are just as tight as the pixel art. ;)
Yeah here's hoping too. BT hasn't been around in awhile and might not be able to code it, but Tom and Charles have offered to help.

Quote from: guest on 03/15/2009, 02:34 PMI like everything except the design of the logo (but the effect is cool).
I actually really like the logo (and the font as well).

Quote from: CrackTigerThis shot reminds me of the first stage in Sapphire-
/night_city02.gif
The city level in Final Soldier was the first thing that popped up in my mind.

Quote from: CrackTigerHopefully the score strip will get a fancier design. Otherwise the in-game graphics look like they will be up there with some of the best PCE shooters.
Yeah that's probably the only part of the graphics that I didn't find to be as good. On a positive note though, I love how the bar is ultra thin so it gives a nice, full picture without being transparent.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Duo_R

this one is incredible, the scrolling creates such depth to this shot:

/magma06.gif
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 03/15/2009, 02:53 PMI actually really like the logo (and the font as well).
I don't think it's bad or anything, it'd just looks like a quick drawing, because of inconsistencies like the top vertical pieces of the X and Y and how everything doesn't slant at the same angle. The same sort of "font" style could be used a little more dynamic and less typed-out-font-looking. The more straight font looking a logo, the more it draws attention to imperfections, unlike something like the Street Fighter II or Air Zonk logos. The other thing is that at first glance it looks like it says "Xymat!", because of the dotting 'tail' and that Xymati isn't a common word.

As it is it's still better than hundreds of commercial PCE game title screen logos. :P

The only reason it stood out is because of the professional quality of everything.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

As everyone has already noted, this really looks sweet.

Quote...at first glance it looks like it says "Xymat!"...
Yeah, I thought it was Xymat!, too.

In fact, I prefer this to "Xymati", so I'm fine with the title screen.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 03/15/2009, 04:58 PMThe other thing is that at first glance it looks like it says "Xymat!", because of the dotting 'tail' and that Xymati isn't a common word.
The very first time I saw this a year or so ago, I thought it said "Hymati". Now you got my eyes all focused on the i! :mrgreen:

When it comes to Frozen Utopia games, I want to set it straight that our gameplay is properly designed. It's kind of necessary for homebrew games to be graphical showcases with all the knowledge and technology we have now, but unfortunately a lot of independent developers are too focused on that and overlook the small things that make a game fun. I'm seriously hoping that Frozen Utopia and Mindrec, I hope we will be able to combine both of these important elements to create really epic, professional games.

Esteban once made a great post on the Magic Engine forums regarding PC Gunjin: having an assortment of various awesome weapons is nice, but it's useless if the level design doesn't utilize these weapons and abilities. It's better to have limited weapons/abilities than to have a crapload that aren't being put to intelligent use.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

O_O

pretttyyyy

Im jealous of the artwork. lol

Im not exactly an artist.  Insanity looks special olympics now.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Ceti Alpha

Looks fantastic. Definitely has a buyer outta me.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

NecroPhile

Man, this looks great.  I especially like the background on the title screen and the color cycling squiggly lines.  I known I've seen something similar to the latter before, but can't recall which title.

Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/16/2009, 09:42 AMLooks fantastic. Definitely has a buyer outta me.
Word, word, and more word!  I see that the title screen is dated 2010, so I hope that's a real possibility and not just wishful thinking.  [-o<

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/16/2009, 08:46 AMIm not exactly an artist.  Insanity looks special olympics now.
Aww, don't say that; you have to start somewhere.  Besides, fun's more important than pretty (as Keranu pointed out).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

yeah.. I need to work on some graphics.

pretty and boring sounds alot like most 360 titles :-D

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

The graphics appear very nice, if inconsistent in places. I just hope the gameplay is there, otherwise nobody will want to interact with the game long enough to appreciate the pretty graphics.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/16/2009, 12:29 PMMan, this looks great.  I especially like the background on the title screen and the color cycling squiggly lines.  I known I've seen something similar to the latter before, but can't recall which title.
You might be thinking of Chris Covell's demos.

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2009, 12:29 PMWord, word, and more word!  I see that the title screen is dated 2010, so I hope that's a real possibility and not just wishful thinking.  [-o<
I pointed that out to Frag on IRC after he showed it to me and he said he hopes it will be out by 2010. Unfortunately like any other homebrew game, delays are bound to happen. ](*,)
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Keranu on 03/16/2009, 03:47 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/16/2009, 12:29 PMWord, word, and more word!  I see that the title screen is dated 2010, so I hope that's a real possibility and not just wishful thinking.  [-o<
I pointed that out to Frag on IRC after he showed it to me and he said he hopes it will be out by 2010. Unfortunately like any other homebrew game, delays are bound to happen. ](*,)
Yessir! good ol' school! The biggest delay ever >_O

I hope mine too is out by 2010.. if not, I cry.

Is frag going to open source it any or just commercialize?

TurboXray

2010 is very doable. I can't say anymore on subject other than FraG kicks ass  :D  Well, I can say a little more. The game is currently a work in progress. Coding will startup this week. Almost all the art is done.

Keranu

Frag is a graphic freak. There are more graphics completed for this game than some people might think and he did it all himself. I really hope it's out by 2010 too, but anything can cause a delay with homebrew.
IMG

Turbo D

This game looks great! I am very excited for the release of this. Fragmare is a cool dude! 8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

FraG's work looking great goes without saying, WORD!
IMG

shubibiman

It just looks amazing. I hope the gameplay will be as amazing as those screenies!
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

NecroPhile

Quote from: Keranu on 03/16/2009, 03:47 PMI pointed that out to Frag on IRC after he showed it to me and he said he hopes it will be out by 2010. Unfortunately like any other homebrew game, delays are bound to happen. ](*,)
Indeed.  For some reason, people think that family, school, paying bills, and breathing are more important than working on homebrew games.  :-"

Anywho.... has Frag released any new teasers for PC Gunjin?  The last screen shots I saw looked frickin' sweet.

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 03/17/2009, 09:44 AM
Quote from: Keranu on 03/16/2009, 03:47 PMI pointed that out to Frag on IRC after he showed it to me and he said he hopes it will be out by 2010. Unfortunately like any other homebrew game, delays are bound to happen. ](*,)
Indeed.  For some reason, people think that family, school, paying bills, and breathing are more important than working on homebrew games.  :-"
Haha yeah, who cares about those things?

Quote from: NecromancerAnywho.... has Frag released any new teasers for PC Gunjin?  The last screen shots I saw looked frickin' sweet.
As far as I know, he's mostly been focusing on Xymati for the past year, but from time-to-time he'll show me stuff he made for PC Gunjin. I might be able to find some old files I have saved and post them, because that game looks amazing too.
IMG

FraGMarE

Here are a few other images that you might not have seen...

/city03.gif
/xy_st2boss03.gif

/xy_st3boss_asteroid01.gif
/xy_st3boss02.gif
/vodkaforce01.gif

Ceti Alpha

IMG

NecroPhile

Damn, those look delicious!  All biological space ship thingies should have ominous blinking eyeballs.  Pardon me while I go clean out my pants.

awack

Thats some nice rotation dare, the explosion in the 1st screenshot looks great, nice use of color.

DJLobo

This all looks really good. If it plays as good as it looks, I'd pick it up.
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

Keranu

Quote from: fragmare on 03/18/2009, 06:37 AM/xy_st3boss02.gif
Hey Frag not sure if I told you this, but I had a friend write me a program that will automatically render rotation frames for you with nearest-neighbor format. You simply set the direction, degrees, and amount of frames and it will spit out a .png file with all the frames and same colors intact. Saves me a bunch of time from doing it by hand now.
IMG

FraGMarE

er, i think that's what i'm currently using.  beats the pants off of Photoshop's messy rotation.  it's simply called something like rot.exe.

Keranu

The program I have is command based and called TweenGen.exe. Not sure if I sent it to you before.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Sounds kinda neat...

can I have it? :)

Keranu

I have to make sure with the author of the program first that I can pass it around since I recall him telling me to keep it quiet or something. I'm sure he'll be cool with it though.
IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: Keranu on 03/19/2009, 09:43 PMsince I recall him telling me to keep it quiet or something.
'Hahaha. You sure did a good job of that, Keranu  :mrgreen:

Keranu

Haha, tell me about it!
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

lol. Oh. >_>

well, maybe hell be down with it in the name of homebrews

FraGMarE

another pic i forgot to post.  here it is.  enjoy  :)

/xy_hiscore02.gif

NecroPhile

Quote from: fragmare on 03/21/2009, 07:18 AManother pic i forgot to post.  here it is.  enjoy  :)
Indeed.  Quite creative.  8)

Ceti Alpha

I just think it's fantastic that in 2009 we can still feast our eyes upon new screenies of new TG/PCE games.  8)
IMG

Arjak

OH YEAH! Those pics look incredible! For a while, I was very worried that this game would never see the light of day. I'm glad to see that work is still going on it. Now then, seeing as it's a shmup for the Turbo/PCE, I would hope that the soundtrack is as good as the graphics and gameplay! :wink:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Tatsujin

wiuiuiu..HYYYPE!!!! =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

damn.. it looks like sapphire II comes into our homes :D :D
damn, big respect on that FRAG. how about a demo release as a DL? :)

hope for a full NTSC-J release :D :D if not, would you let me handle a japanese release over here FRAG? :D :D

110/111 (1 to go)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Keranu

Quote from: Keranu on 03/19/2009, 09:43 PMI have to make sure with the author of the program first that I can pass it around since I recall him telling me to keep it quiet or something. I'm sure he'll be cool with it though.
Quoting myself! The author of said program will soon register on here and post the program for everyone in a new thread. Keep your eye out if you're interested.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Looks good, some of the graphics remind me of MUSHA.  I don't care for the name, though.  Not something that is easily remembered.  The name reminds me of the NES game XEXYZ or something like that.  I only looked at this thread because I had no clue WTF was going on.  The name needs to be more manly, like KILL DEM ALIENZ or something.  :)  Actually, I'd like to see a game where you play an alien and you must kill all humans for no reason whatsoever.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/31/2009, 01:08 AMActually, I'd like to see a game where you play an alien and you must kill all humans for no reason whatsoever.
Yup.

TurboXray

QuoteActually, I'd like to see a game where you play an alien and you must kill all humans for no reason whatsoever.
Umm, Destroy All Humans?

esteban

Quote from: Tom on 03/31/2009, 11:06 AM
QuoteActually, I'd like to see a game where you play an alien and you must kill all humans for no reason whatsoever.
Umm, Destroy All Humans?
What?! You're familiar with my personal website from the late 90's?

Crazy, bizarre world...

TurboXray

Quote from: esteban on 03/31/2009, 11:38 AM
Umm, Destroy All Humans?

Crazy, bizarre world...
Wait... what?

Keranu

Quote from: esteban on 03/31/2009, 11:38 AM
Umm, Destroy All Humans?

Crazy, bizarre world...
DestroyAllHumans.jpg
IMG