PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: shubibiman on 04/15/2009, 01:01 PMThe Sega CD version is way ahead in this case. It is much more impressive when you see it animated.
I agree. The Sega CD wins, with SNES coming in a close second and the PCE coming in a distant third.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nectarsis

Thw Sega cd ver does look damn nice, but I still enjoy the PCE version for what it is.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

ParanoiaDragon

I own all 3, & I too enjoy the Sega CD one more.  However, the PCE one is really fun.  The bummer here, is that, NEC took the original Popful Mail for PC88, & just cleaned it up, (although the cinemas are really nice compared to the originals), while Sega remade the game entirely for Sega CD, & Falcom did the same for the SNES.  Now, if NEC had put more effort graphically into the PCE version(which easily could've been done), then making it a port, it'd atleast trump the Sega CD version, if not both.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: nat on 04/15/2009, 01:14 AMI dunno, I don't own any of them and right now I'm leaning towards finding the SNES version first based on those screens. Unfortunately, the Duo version looks like a distant third.
Agreed.  The Sega CD version is a close second, but the washed out colors are a bit of a turn off.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

rag-time4

Quote from: ceti alpha on 04/15/2009, 01:03 PM
Quote from: shubibiman on 04/15/2009, 01:01 PMThe Sega CD version is way ahead in this case. It is much more impressive when you see it animated.
I agree. The Sega CD wins, with SNES coming in a close second and the PCE coming in a distant third.
This is a game I actually heard about when it was released but have never played it. To be honest, I had forgotten about it!

I really like the PC-Engine version the best of the three from the screen shots. I love the way the colorful 8-bitty graphics come across. It seems like it has a lot of old school feel to it but with the added spice of the PC-Engine CD Rom (cinematics, music, voices) that make the Ys games so awesome.

TurboXray

Quote from: rag-time4 on 04/16/2009, 10:19 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 04/15/2009, 01:03 PM
This is a game I actually heard about when it was released but have never played it. To be honest, I had forgotten about it!

I really like the PC-Engine version the best of the three from the screen shots. I love the way the colorful 8-bitty graphics come across. It seems like it has a lot of old school feel to it but with the added spice of the PC-Engine CD Rom (cinematics, music, voices) that make the Ys games so awesome.
It actually plays like Legacy of the Wizard (which is Dragon Slayer series game by Falcom ). I like it :D

rag-time4

Quote from: Tom on 04/17/2009, 12:57 AMIt actually plays like Legacy of the Wizard (which is Dragon Slayer series game by Falcom ). I like it :D
Legacy of the Wizard is a NES game i really need to get. I haven't played it much at all!

boogiecat

Quote from: guest on 04/15/2009, 12:24 AM
Quote from: awack on 04/14/2009, 11:37 AMI'm only doing games i own, which means I'm not going to be able to do other games such as Popful mail, since i don't own the sega cd version, maybe some one else can do it, i would like to see that one myself.
Bump for Popful Mail before I fall asleep. I couldn't get Gens to detect my CD-ROM on this computer, so I stole the MCD pics from Classic CD RPGs-

PC ENGINE - SEGA-CD - SUPER FAMICOM

/pmpce10.png
/pmmcd1.png
/pmsfc1.png

/pmpce2.png
/pmmcd2.png
/pmsfc2.png

/pmpce3.png
/pmmcd3.gif
/pmsfc3.png

/pmpce4.png
/pmmcd4.gif
/pmsfc4.png

/pmpce5.png
/pmmcd5.gif
/pmsfc5.png

/pmpce6.png
/pmmcd6.gif
/pmsfc6.png

/pmpce9.png
/pmmcd9.gif
/pmsfc7.png

/pmpce7.png
/pmmcd7.gif

/pmpce8.png
/pmmcd8.gif

Without getting into much detail...

The SFC version has very nice coloring and shading, like the Xanadu II boss fights. But the tiles are reused so frequently that it ruins the experience. That and the sprite art looks lame.

The Sega version has nice art in-game graphics art and the shading is alright, but they didn't do a good enough job (by Sega standards) with the color. The cinemas are nice and clean and smoothly animated, but extremely low color, with the three main characters sharing the same 3 main colors.

The PCE cinemas are also animated as well as a tv show, but are colorful and shaded like a top quality PCE cinema.
Wow great comparison there!!

awack

Dungeon Explorer II.

PC Engine SNES

three cool action shots for the hell of it.

IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

Good job with the quantity of shots and some of the clever match ups. =D> It's cool to see in the sections of Crystal Beans I haven't yet played, that they did as good a job as they did. Still no contest for DEII of course. :) The final boss looks the same playing them separately on real hardware. The music was translated to SFC about as well as it could be and still sounds great. I still prefer DE1 PSG though. :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Ceti Alpha

Crystal Beans seems to lose a lot of the dark atmosphere of DEII, especially in the outside shots. In the outside comparison four down, the background on CB is all cheery and bright with colourful flowers, while DEII is dark and foreboding. I also don't like the Zelda/Neutopia style of character.

Quote from: guest on 04/19/2009, 05:57 PMI still prefer DE1 PSG though. :P
And who could blame you?  8)
IMG

awack

Crystal beans is basically an abbreviated DE II with some alterations, there are areas completely missing as the pce DE II screens below show(desert and outside of tree are not in Crystal Beans), thats due in large part in how the games are set up, Crystal beans you click on a map to travel to a different area, DE II you have to travel from place to place on foot.

IMG IMG

esteban

Quote from: awack on 04/19/2009, 07:24 PMCrystal beans is basically an abbreviated DE II with some alterations, there are areas completely missing as the pce DE II screens below show(desert and outside of tree are not in Crystal Beans), thats due in large part in how the games are set up, Crystal beans you click on a map to travel to a different area, DE II you have to travel from place to place on foot.

IMG IMG
Thanks for the screenshots, it really is neat to see these comparisons :)

Quote from: ceti alpha on 04/19/2009, 06:04 PMCrystal Beans seems to lose a lot of the dark atmosphere of DEII, especially in the outside shots. In the outside comparison four down, the background on CB is all cheery and bright with colourful flowers, while DEII is dark and foreboding. I also don't like the Zelda/Neutopia style of character.
I concur. While I don't mind the CUTIE overworld in Crystal Beans, it certainly isn't nearly as neat as the consistent, dark, brooding atmosphere in DEII.

I am also in agreement with CrackTiger about the quality of the DE1's PSG tunes: they really hold their own. I love the Red Book in DEII, but DE1 stands firm.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

The TurboGrafx-16 version is darker and that means it MUST be inferior.  Brighter and more saturated is ALWAYS better.  SNES wins, even if it is worse.

By the way, "Crystal Beans" is probably one of the worst names for a game evar.

Turbo D

Joe is right; Crystal Beans = Instant Fail for having such a gay name. :x
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

TR0N

Hmm i had no idea there was a snes DEII.The snes,DEII looks more colorful beside the bigger sprites but that's it i sure can't judge it's gameplay so dunno.Still i assume it won't beat the pce version on it's music  :wink:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

the PCE DEII has one of the most terrible goosebumb giving intros. alone for that fact, it is far superior.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

NecroPhile

Quote from: ceti alpha on 04/19/2009, 06:04 PMCrystal Beans seems to lose a lot of the dark atmosphere of DEII, especially in the outside shots. In the outside comparison four down, the background on CB is all cheery and bright with colorful flowers, while DEII is dark and foreboding. I also don't like the Zelda/Neutopia style of character.
I agree with you 100% on the cartoony (and poorly scaled) character sprites, but I actually prefer the brighter colors used in the SNES version, though only for in the villages/overworld.  Dark and brooding works well in dungeons and forests, but not so much in the above ground world, giving it a 'middle of an eclipse' look.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 04/15/2009, 01:14 AMI dunno, I don't own any of them and right now I'm leaning towards finding the SNES version first based on those screens. Unfortunately, the Duo version looks like a distant third.
It (popful mail) plays more like a Valis or Ys III than DS IV.

From personal experience the Sega CD one plays nicest.

SNES is iffy.  You miss out on the funny cutscenes even if the graphics look a bit more lush.

...wheres the PC98 screens :-D
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

awack

PCE on the left, SNES and Genesis on bottom.

Fatal Fury 2.

IMG IMG
                                IMG
IMG IMG
                               IMG
IMG IMG
                           IMG
IMG IMG
                           IMG
IMG IMG
                           IMG
IMG IMG
                           IMG
                     pce                                       snes
IMG IMG

Ceti Alpha

No comparison. The PCE Fatal Fury looks like Fatal Fury, while the others do not.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: ceti alpha on 04/21/2009, 08:58 PMNo comparison. The PCE Fatal Fury looks like Fatal Fury, while the others do not.
Graphics wise yeah the,PCE FF2 is but the loading times hurt and pulling of a move feels rather stiff.
IMG

spenoza

The PCE version looks better, but all versions actually look OK. I don't think the PCE version's controls are any stiffer than the NG original, frankly. FF2 was far from the pinnacle of the series.

awack

Fatal fury special. Duck King (disco stage) stands out for being More detailed on the snes port. Well, thats it for the neo geo ports.

PCE                                        SNES
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

TR0N

No shots of the sega cd version of ffs to compare with ?
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Lol how about a side by side of Shadow of the Beast for PCE CD and Sega Genesis!

:-D

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

awack

The sega cd  Fatal fury special is almost Golden axe pce bad, the game gear version is better game in my opinion.
I picked shots that i think shows it in its best light.

pce left, snes  and sega cd on bottom.

IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG

Some Game Gear shots.

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/23/2009, 01:50 PMThat was done pages and pages ago!
oh .  I guses I miss things in the 20 pages of posts and pictures lol :)

*scrolls back*

edit: stilllll dont see them!

spenoza

Sega CD sprites are sized better and look just as good as the PCE ones as a result, and in spite of the color loss.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 04/23/2009, 09:06 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/23/2009, 01:50 PMThat was done pages and pages ago in an entirely different thread!
oh .  I guess I miss things in the 20 pages of posts and pictures lol :)

*scrolls back*

edit: stilllll don't see them!
I fixed Joe's statement.  Pic Set #1  Pic Set #2  Pic Set #3

Joe Redifer

Since you posted the links, that saves me the hassle of merging threads.  But I'll do one better and actually post the pics just so this thread can be mintcomplete.

Shadow of the Beast:

Below are some shots of the pce and genesis versions.
GenesisPC Engine
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

awack

Just to go over the differences of the ff 2/special ports, I'm amazed at how good the ACD  version is, it has larger and much better animated sprites than the snes port, larger BG objects, greater variety in the scrolling stages(mai, terry and andy) breakable objects(baskets, barrels, or men on mopeds), opening scenes in some of the stages or objects scrolling across the screen and looks more colorful along with great music and voices...it have less parallax and poor impact sndfx though.

Here are some added shots with super sotb for the snes, which was never released as far as i know.

pce left, snes right and genesis bottom.

IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                       IMG
IMG IMG
                       IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I once said I prefer the PCE one to the original on Amiga and was shot down in a hail of Amiganerd gunfire.

and then one of them played the PCE one and went.

"Yeah. So, uh.... it plays better and has animated cutscenes.... and no disk swap!"

and ...then he got cut down too...

>_>

one argument was "The cd attachment is too expensive. its cheaper for Amiga"

yes, cheaper on an Amiga which costs between 300 and 500$ now and requires all kinds of crappppp

>_O

PCE F T W

Joe Redifer

PCE version definitely does win.  Better than the Amiga!

ParanoiaDragon

I love the clouds in the Gen version compared to the Turbo & SNES, the dungeon area looks like crap though compared to the Turbo's version with tables & chairs & ....stuff!
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

nicely done parallax clouds doesnt make up for it being a crummy version on genesis, lol

Tatsujin

the amiga version is grafically far far far superior to any other versions. the pce controlls better and the BGM is far far far superior to any other versions (but probably equal to the marty version, which i've never played nor heard so far).
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/25/2009, 04:22 AMthe amiga version is grafically far far far superior to any other versions. the pce controlls better and the BGM is far far far superior to any other versions (but probably equal to the marty version, which i've never played nor heard so far).
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 04/24/2009, 09:41 PMI once said I prefer the PCE one to the original on Amiga and was shot down in a hail of Amiganerd gunfire.
There's a big difference between technically impressive and visually impressive. The Amiga SotB has drab boring colors mixed with worse art and shading style overall than the PCE, Gen and MD versions, various versions have improved details and the Amiga player sprite doesn't look nearly as nice as the SMS and PCE versions. I like the visuals of the PCE, Gen and MD more than the Amiga. The FM Towns version is by far the most technically impressive, judging from video of the forest stage, but it looks awful.

Overall the japanese Megs Drive version probably looks best in-game. It's too bad that it doesn't have the PCE sprite.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

spenoza

I forget. Was this Shadow of the Beast comparison video on YouTube posted here previously?

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 04/25/2009, 03:17 PMI forget. Was this Shadow of the Beast comparison video on YouTube posted here previously?
Thanks! :)
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 04/25/2009, 03:17 PMI forget. Was this Shadow of the Beast comparison video on YouTube posted here previously?
It sure was. That's the one I based most of my judgment on.

Arkhan Asylum

The Amiga SotBs all suck.  They are not visually better really.  PCE CD one beats the Amiga one.  I once plugged the A1200 into my TV and my PCE into the TV and compared.  PCE even ran smoother

I own all 3 for Amiga.  The CDRom variants on PCE/sega CD are better

....even though 3 wasnt for them.  It would have been better elsewhere.  3 Needed a port... >_<

The controls are awful on the Amiga.  Like most action games on the Amiga.

awack

Genesis USMega Drive JP
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

AMIGA
IMG IMG
IMG

Retro-Nerd

Quote from: guest on 04/25/2009, 07:17 PMThe controls are awful on the Amiga.  Like most action games on the Amiga.
This is a NOT true. There are enough Amiga action games with decent controls. Too many to list them all. Sounds like a typical "console only" user, even if you said that you own an Amiga. I hate these broad-brush comments.

The PC-Engine CD version of Beast 1 has indeed a better playability, but no better graphics. Anyway, it's still a boring game. Beast III was the only good one in this series.

QuoteThere's a big difference between technically impressive and visually impressive. The Amiga SotB has drab boring colors mixed with worse art and shading style overall than the PCE, Gen and MD versions, various versions have improved details and the Amiga player sprite doesn't look nearly as nice as the SMS and PCE versions. I like the visuals of the PCE, Gen and MD more than the Amiga.
It's a matter of taste. I prefer the more "muddy" Amiga look over the bonbon PCE colors. It matches perfectly the great atmosphere of the Amiga version. The other version looks, sounds and plays different. That's normal.

The PCE-CD version has indeed a great playability (well balanced difficulty) and an awesome CD score. That's true.  :)

bust3dstr8

Seems like Psygnosis used the same arranged soundtrack on the Marty and PCE.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

Retro-Nerd

Quote from: bust3dstr8 on 04/26/2009, 12:02 AM
Seems like Psygnosis used the same arranged soundtrack on the Marty and PCE.
That's true. The FM Towns Marty game was released a few month before the Japanese PC-Engine CD version. They used the same soundtrack.

btw: There are so many incompetent web reviews about retro games which makes me sick. This is a good example, especially this passage:

QuoteGet this only if you are very nostalgic for your Amiga or if you have an Amiga and Shadow of the Beast and for some bizarre reason like playing it but don't want to torture yourself with the 5-minute floppy load times. I'll tell you what this game did for my Amiga nostalgia: it killed it, and only for a ridiculous floppy-based system and its owners who were really starving for arcade-quality games could a game like this have been touted as being something so great. God bless cartridges, and hard drives, and companies that realized how lame it was to try to play a game with nothing but a floppy drive.
http://genesisreviews.tripod.com/reviews/beast.html

He criticses that the game was on Amiga Disk only? On a COMPUTER? The Amiga version was released in 1989 and harddrives were very expensive, especially the SCSI ones. Only a few people could afford these useful hardware at that time.

Typical console freak reviews, probably the NES generation. Without an open mind for other machines than consoles. I love all the old computer and console games, but i wouldn't write such shitty reviews. Honestly. 

Today it's pretty easy to play the old Amiga games via IDE-CF card/harddrive. Just install WHDLoad and play the old classics.  And YES, i'm a huge PC-Engine fan too. No doubt!!!

TurboXray

Pfft. The Amiga wasn't even powerful enough to handle proper game controls. Silly Amiga.

_Paul

Quote from: Tom on 04/26/2009, 03:09 AMPfft. The Amiga wasn't even powerful enough to handle proper game controls. Silly Amiga.
Best thing about the Amiga was you could plug Genesis/Mega Drive pads into it (some games even used the multiple buttons in what was then a single-button world). It's odd to think that joysticks were the norm when controlling games and there were people that preferred them over pads.