OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Testing AdSense

Started by PCEngineFX, 03/30/2009, 06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

I'm testing adding Adsense to the forum.  Please feel free to click on any ad you may be interested in  :-"  Apparently Google thinks we are talking a lot about diesel engines at the moment  :roll:
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG

Joe Redifer

I have AdBlockPro so I don't see ANY ads!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

quoth09

They pop up on mine when I'm NOT logged in. Otherwise if I wanted to make them go away, all it would take is a quick edit of my firewall software, and they would go bye bye.

PCEngineFX

Thanks for all the support guys :(  I'm doing this because for once I'd like to maybe cover the expense of running the site which I have funded on my own for 10+ years.  All it takes is a click.
IMG

SnowKitty

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 04/05/2009, 11:16 PMThanks for all the support guys :(  I'm doing this because for once I'd like to maybe cover the expense of running the site which I have funded on my own for 10+ years.  All it takes is a click.
ehh i think you should setup a paypal donate button. i'd rather give a few bucks directly to you than support the cunts that run those ad companies

Joe Redifer

I turned off AdBlockPlus or Pro or whatever it is and looked around and I still don't see any ads.  I was gonna click on a few but I can't find them.  Where should I be looking?

PCEngineFX

Quote from: SnowKitty on 04/07/2009, 06:52 PM
Quote from: Pcenginefx on 04/05/2009, 11:16 PMThanks for all the support guys :(  I'm doing this because for once I'd like to maybe cover the expense of running the site which I have funded on my own for 10+ years.  All it takes is a click.
ehh i think you should setup a paypal donate button. i'd rather give a few bucks directly to you than support the cunts that run those ad companies
Great idea SnowKitty.  I'll look into that.
IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/07/2009, 08:22 PMI turned off AdBlockPlus or Pro or whatever it is and looked around and I still don't see any ads.  I was gonna click on a few but I can't find them.  Where should I be looking?
Should be at the end of every thread, and above the shoutbox on the main page.  If you don't see it you probably need to clean out your browser cache.
IMG

Turbo D

I only get it before logging in. Not sure why. :-k
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Ceti Alpha

I also have Adblock and can't see it. I'd also be willing to throw a donation on the table.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

PCEngineFX

Ads should now be visible to all members.
IMG

TR0N

Now popups yet but if it leads to addware and spyware.....grumble  :P
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

PCEngineFX

It shouldn't lead to either of those things as most ads should be gaming related.  I wouldn't think Google would allow ads that are addware/spyware in their system....
IMG

Zeon

I see nothing, I have tried bothe firefox and ie with 0 add-ons enabled, cleared the cache, javascript and flash is enabled, no firewall, no ad/pop-up blocking software. I am not behind a router or anything, what is the deal?

Turbo D

I'm getting them now. Clicked a few for good measure. So I was wondering why a lot of these ads were for motor oil, but then it donned on me: the word pc engine makes google adds think that we're a bunch of gearheads. roflmao!
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Keranu

I only see them when I log out.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

NecroPhile

I see 'em and am now learning a new career in small engine repair.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Zeon

Never mind, I think I figured it out. I forgot that in my HOSTS file I have 1000s of known ad servers listed. Basically anytime my computer tries to connect to one it redirects my browser to 127.0.0.1 which is my computer. As a result ads do not even attempt to load. There isn't even an empty space where they should be, so I never know that there is a ad there to begin with. It's an all or nothing deal, I can't pick and choose which ones to let through, and honestly it's to the point that I forget ads even exist on the internet. No need for any ad blocker add-on.

Joe Redifer

I'm still not seeing the ads.

DJLobo

I can see ads, ads, glorious ads!  :dance: Didn't see any yesterday.
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

Duo_R

I think they are trying to advertise to Aaron too.....  :lol:

/imgad.jpg

and most of the ads I see are for "find your mate." They must think we play games all day and have no life.....
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

PCEngineFX

Mods should see them now (I had to turn them on for the various membergroups.)
IMG

Duo_R

Aaron I know someone else mentioned but I think that if you need some sort of financial support for this, we should consider a gold membership. Comes with a nice perks (maybe turbo stickers or something) and maybe it is like $10 or something. I could think this one over more but that might be a good step for keeping the support for pcefx.com. We don't want you paying this out of pocket every year.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

NecroPhile

The first game related one I saw was for PLAY DUCK HUNT, but it was a dead link.  Dangnabbit, I wanted to shoot that smarmy little mutt.  [-(

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

guyjin

I also see them now. I even clicked on one - they seemed to be trying to sell me NEC corporate telephone systems. At least they're getting closer now  :lol:

Joe Redifer

I can see them now as well.  I'll be sure to click on a few from time to time.

nat

I was wondering why these started showing up today. Now I know.

PCEngineFX

Thanks to all who have clicked on the ads -  For those who are longtime visitors to the site you know that I've not used ads much in the past - only a few times have I ever tried to earn back some cash which didn't really work out so I stopped (plus when I created a new site design I had to create the design around the ad, which I hated doing).

I've never really made any money off of the site and I don't regret paying out-of-pocket every year to keep pcengine-fx.com alive as it has grown a lot over the past few years...but I figure since AdSense is so easy to use that it was worth trying out (at least on the forum).
IMG

Joe Redifer

At least you're not doing what we're doing at Magicbox.  We're doing the whole double-underlined words thing which picks out key words in every posts and creates ad links out of them.  That's pretty annoying as it affects the posts themselves.  These ads aren't that intrusive.

nat

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/11/2009, 12:08 PMAt least you're not doing what we're doing at Magicbox.  We're doing the whole double-underlined words thing which picks out key words in every posts and creates ad links out of them.  That's pretty annoying as it affects the posts themselves.  These ads aren't that intrusive.
Oh man, I f'ing HATE that crap. They started doing that on TrekWeb a number of years back and it's completely and utterly intrusive. If my mouse happens to inadvertently wander over one of those stupid things, a bubble will pop up with a bunch of useless links in it since the word is always something really general like "film" and it's next to impossible to get the bubble to go away. So I usually have to go back, reload the page in order to be able to read whatever the bubble covered up. Whoever invented that needs to be shot by firing squad.

Zeon

Quote from: nat on 04/11/2009, 02:35 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/11/2009, 12:08 PMAt least you're not doing what we're doing at Magicbox.  We're doing the whole double-underlined words thing which picks out key words in every posts and creates ad links out of them.  That's pretty annoying as it affects the posts themselves.  These ads aren't that intrusive.
Oh man, I f'ing HATE that crap. They started doing that on TrekWeb a number of years back and it's completely and utterly intrusive. If my mouse happens to inadvertently wander over one of those stupid things, a bubble will pop up with a bunch of useless links in it since the word is always something really general like "film" and it's next to impossible to get the bubble to go away. So I usually have to go back, reload the page in order to be able to read whatever the bubble covered up. Whoever invented that needs to be shot by firing squad.
If you can deal with Firefox's bloatedness, NoScript works wonders.

PCEngineFX

Oh wow....Magicbox...haven't been there in years (used to go there for all of my gaming news back in the day).  I'll NEVER use the keyword-link method here.
IMG

SignOfZeta

If this forum had a PayPal donate button I'd use it. I don't click on ads though, ever. For me its a matter of principle since I hate advertising more than almost anything I can think of, but I'm of the opinion that virtually nobody buys anything from click throughs and the whole thing is a farce.

When the economy collapsed because it turned out that hyperleveraging 30 year loans to a society who's debt equals its GDP wasn't sustainable, the shit really hit the fan. I think that when the ad market collapses its going to be just as hard. Possibly harder. Its such an enormous web of BS and there are so many industries that have a one track revenue stream (ie: Google, TV networks, etc) that we are going to see another crazy chain of dominoes.

The best way to pay for something is to buy it. This idea that you can't make a TV show and charge for it, rather you must sell ads for totally unrelated products and get the budget from the makers of those products that in the end, theoretically, comes from the viewer anyway just supports a billion dollar middleman industry of liars. Besides, no matter what people think about ads, the BBC makes way better shows than NBC.

So...give me the telly tax, bascially, is what I'm saying...I think.
IMG

Zeon

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/12/2009, 04:38 AMSo...give me the telly tax, bascially, is what I'm saying...I think.
Screw a television tax, why pay for something I never use? Make tv something optional to pay for if you want to do that. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone watches tv or any of the crap that comes on it.

Back on topic, donation's or heck even a pcengine-fx.com store with merchandise, ie one that is promoted more with more stuff than just new tg-16 games which will inevitably sell out eventually, a poster, and a bumper sticker, would be great. I am sure many forget there is even a store here, I know I sure do.

At the end of the day most of the people clicking on the ads are going to be members who are clicking on them solely to support pcengine-fx.com, not because they are actually interested in the products that are being sold. Heck it wouldn't be to hard to write up a script that automatically "clicks" on the links at certain timed intervals. In the short run this may work, but in the long run it won't simply because this is not the typical model behind advertising. People aren't clicking with genuine interest, and will likely stop clicking entirely before to long, because the ads aren't advertising anything they care about and they probably won't think about it everyday.

I am of the opinion that at least half of the clickthroughs on sites loaded with ads are accidental and a result of trying to navigate through the pages, not people who are actually interested in what is being advertised. I am not sure how much traffic this site actually gets, but I am pretty sure it's not going to be enough to generate much revenue to cover server fees from clickthroughs, accidental or otherwise. Especially since 99% of the ads are not interesting to most members here.

I am actually with Zeta on this one point, advertising is bs, TV, billboards, internet, or otherwise. I guess it's great for gullible sheep that are easily led on and take what an ad says as absolute reality doing zero research on what is being sold. (which is probably 80-90% of the populace) I don't know about everyone here, but I even if I did click on internet ads, I would never actually buy something from said clickthrough. I'm simply not going not going to take their word for it. If anything, I would do much research before I ever bought anything, which would likely never happen. I hate salespeople and how they pitch things, which is what every ad is: a sales pitch. In fact when I see something advertised I am LESS likely to want to buy what they are selling, especially if I see the same ad many times, simply because ads piss me off and I am not going to support it if I can help it.

I can't say that even food ads have made me ever want to go out to said place and buy the food item(s) they were advertising. As far as internet ads go I have probably clicked on all of 10 in my life, every last one being accidental.

I go out of my way to avoid them. I block any and all ad hosting servers I find. Not because I don't want to support certain places that use them, but because I don't believe in the principle behind them and feel that they are often unscrupulous. There are far better ways to support a site imo.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: ZeonScrew a television tax, why pay for something I never use? Make tv something optional to pay for if you want to do that. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone watches tv or any of the crap that comes on it.
I was making a reference to the television license system that the UK uses, which you only have to pay if you have a TV.
IMG

Zeon

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/12/2009, 07:08 PM
Quote from: ZeonScrew a television tax, why pay for something I never use? Make tv something optional to pay for if you want to do that. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone watches tv or any of the crap that comes on it.
I was making a reference to the television license system that the UK uses, which you only have to pay if you have a TV.
Oh, I knew what you were referring to, but I didn't know that you only had to pay if you have a tv. However what about people who have tvs and don't use them for watching television, do they still have to pay? I use my tv's solely for video games and nothing else. I'd imagine they would given how you can pick up airwaves if you have an antenna whether you utilize them of not. If that's the case I still say screw that.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: nat on 04/11/2009, 02:35 PM
Haha nat. Trekweb is EXACTLY what I thought of immediately when Joe mentioned those. Very annoying.  :x
IMG

PCEngineFX

I don't go to Trekweb much anymore....I go to trekmovie.com :)
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 04/15/2009, 05:59 PMI don't go to Trekweb much anymore....I go to trekmovie.com :)
Yeah, I still frequent Trekweb. I'm just a creature of habit, and it usually links to Trekmovie for updates. :)
IMG

PCEngineFX

I want to give a HUGE THANKS to everyone who has clicked on a banner in the past few months.  Please keep it up as it has started to ease a little bit of the cost of running the site.  Thank you again!
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Where are the banners? I normally use Firefox with Adblock Plus, which blocks banner ads, but I wanted to click an add so I logged in with IE and I don't see any.  :-k
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: ceti alpha on 07/15/2009, 04:04 PMWhere are the banners? I normally use Firefox with Adblock Plus, which blocks banner ads, but I wanted to click an add so I logged in with IE and I don't see any.  :-k
They're just above the shoutbox, at the bottom of every page, and at the bottom of each thread.  Try adding the forum to your Adblock Plus 'My Exception Rules' and see if they show up for your clicking pleasure.  Failing that, send Aaron $1000 in gold bullion.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 07/15/2009, 04:38 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 07/15/2009, 04:04 PMWhere are the banners? I normally use Firefox with Adblock Plus, which blocks banner ads, but I wanted to click an add so I logged in with IE and I don't see any.  :-k
They're just above the shoutbox, at the bottom of every page, and at the bottom of each thread.  Try adding the forum to your Adblock Plus 'My Exception Rules' and see if they show up for your clicking pleasure.  Failing that, send Aaron $1000 in gold bullion.
haha. I just might have to do that, cus I can't get these banner ads to show up. I disabled adblock for pcengine-fx.com and still nuffin'. It's weird that IE isn't allowing the banner ads either. I wonder if it's a Canuck thing? Labatt's Block Plus.

EDIT: Well, I'm on my home computer now and, gosh darn it, it works. I can now click on banner ads to my heart's delight.
IMG

Ninja Spirit

I can see them. I'm using Opera.

I'm seeing stuff such as "Plenty of Fish" which is presumably an eHarmony/Match.com knock off