@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roflmao

Quote from: Colossus1574 on 04/10/2012, 08:09 AMoh one more thing...
anybody have any suggestions on where to find cheap Component cables for the GC? all the ones on Ebay are ridiculous... $100+ !?!?!?!
I'd be interested in knowing this as well.  I'm tempted to pick up a Wii so I can play GC games in progressive. :D

majors

Quote from: Colossus1574 on 04/10/2012, 08:06 AM...you guys mentioned Smash Bros. being the only fighting game on the CG, but they actually had a SUPER fighter in Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO and also SoulCalibur 2 w/Link exclusive)
I caught that also BUT the Sack Bros where making a comment on the fighters that did not come out rather than Smash was the only fighter. And quite frankly EO version of CvS2 is ass, PS2 was the standard.

Another quality ep guys!
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/09/2012, 05:31 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/09/2012, 05:57 AMAM DISAPPOINT :(
Well too bad for you!
Oh the shows quality was good (probably one of the best so far), just I was looking forward to see something different than ..the.. Nintendo Game Cube, at that night.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 04/10/2012, 09:58 AMI'd be interested in knowing this as well.  I'm tempted to pick up a Wii so I can play GC games in progressive. :D
Those component cables were only produced for a short amount of time (just like the component capable hardware). That's why they're so expensive, and I'm not aware of any third party cables having been made. Considering the Wii is backwards compatible the need for those cables isn't super high.
--DragonmasterDan

Colossus1574

Quote from: majors on 04/10/2012, 12:23 PM
Quote from: Colossus1574 on 04/10/2012, 08:06 AM...you guys mentioned Smash Bros. being the only fighting game on the CG, but they actually had a SUPER fighter in Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO and also SoulCalibur 2 w/Link exclusive)
I caught that also BUT the Sack Bros where making a comment on the fighters that did not come out rather than Smash was the only fighter. And quite frankly EO version of CvS2 is ass, PS2 was the standard.

Another quality ep guys!
Being the gamecube/nintendo, there wasn't much chance of any fighting game showing up on the GC that would be exclusive...the only thing would've been a KICKASS sequel of KILLER INSTINCT if Rare decided to continue on with the series... :evil:
I think the CvS2 itself for the GC is fine...just kinda laughable they had to provide an "easy operation" mode to overcome their fight unfriendly controllers...and yes, i agree with u on the ps2 ver. That's one i got and we played that game to death, dunno how many man hours logged in on that thing...

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/12/2012, 08:33 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/10/2012, 09:58 AMI'd be interested in knowing this as well.  I'm tempted to pick up a Wii so I can play GC games in progressive. :D
Those component cables were only produced for a short amount of time (just like the component capable hardware). That's why they're so expensive, and I'm not aware of any third party cables having been made. Considering the Wii is backwards compatible the need for those cables isn't super high.
Yah, i heard they killed off the component ports in the later releases cause some stupid head at Nintendo said only a small % of their players used it...considering their marketshare was of the younger variety who weren't videophiles i guess it's not a surprise. Sadly, i just want to hook it back up to my Plasma to play the exclusives RE:1 and RE:0  ](*,)

Mathius

I picked up my component cable on Amazon about three years ago for about $80.

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 04/12/2012, 06:44 PMI picked up my component cable on Amazon about three years ago for about $80.
I picked up my Gamecube component cables from Tatsujin's trash bin in Switzerland 6 years ago. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

This week we take a look at two series: Donkey Kong Country and Valis

Tatsujin

oh, looks like at least 50% fun inside :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PunkCryborg

CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i! CD-i!

Mathius

Aside from the music the thing that impresses me the most about the entire DKC franchise is the backgrounds. So many layers of parallax with some BGs (like the water stages) appearing to even line-scroll! Gorgeous!

Tatsujin

It's the SNES, it has four independend layers to display. and with some added h-sync stuff you can make cool parallax stuff. I agree that DKC had nice graphx here and there, but I never got into its overal style and gameplay.

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/15/2012, 10:22 PMoh, looks like at least 50% fun inside :)
IMG Cooks knows that 50% Valis = 200% awesome.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

Mathius

I lol'd at Beast Wrestler

Tatsujin

lol, so watchin' this tonite :)

SamIAm

Hey, what did you use to make the Japanese voice clips at the end? I was surprised at how accurate they were.

Nice episode, by the way. I actually kind of want to try Jewel Master now.

futureman2000

Nice episode =). I agree about Jewel Master- it is less than the sum of its parts. And I'm glad to see Ernest Evans as well- the controls in that game are among the worst of all time. If you decide to do an episode on bad US Genesis games, the EA floodgates will open wide.

Samurai Ghost

Nice episode! And it's good for you guys to focus on bad games from time to time because it saves me money. Pretty much every episode where you review GOOD games I inevitably go out and buy one or two. But now I'll know to avoid a few of the titles here that I was considering picking up at some point as I generally agree with you guys and with the titles I have played/owned that you reviewed this time around.

The only title you mentioned that I enjoy playing from time to time is Fatal Labyrinth, but I would agree that the game worked much better as a Game Gear title. It's great for short bursts but you can't really sit down and play it for too long as the game is so short and simple. I would have liked to see an updated version for the MD with more areas, enemies, weapons/spells, etc., as I enjoy Rouge-likes a lot and they can be really fun when done right, at least for me.

DragonmasterDan

I'm glad to see Earnest Evans on there, I picked it up as a kid since it was related to El Viento. I was immensely disappointed.
--DragonmasterDan

PunkCryborg

There's no such thing as a bad Genesis game  :lol:

I got Shadow Blasters a while ago and man that game sucked. I guess some people like it though...

Joe Redifer

I kind of like Shadow Blasters.  Keranu loves it.

futureman2000

Saint Sword would have fit in this episode

**edit:typo**

Joe Redifer

That's another one I was thinking about.  It's kind of stiff but somewhat enjoyable.  I would have put it in there before Jewel Master but I can't control what Dave chooses.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/23/2012, 08:31 PMThat's another one I was thinking about.  It's kind of stiff but somewhat enjoyable.  I would have put it in there before Jewel Master but I can't control what Dave chooses.
The awesome and weird box art for Saint Sword redeems the games crappiness. I kinda like the game too but it's nothing special

Tatsujin

Damn, missed to watch it yesterday :( but sure will today, since I will stay in a hotel and have nothing else to do than watching movies and stuff :D

Joe Redifer

Finding the title on Saint Sword's box is almost like a Where's Waldo search.  Not a good design for retail purposes.  Customer: "Hey do you guys have Saint Sword?"  Employee looks "I don't see it hanging on the wall anywhere, do you?  Customer:  "No, guess not.  Maybe I'll buy Awesome Possum instead!"

Tatsujin

Lol, you have put up about half of any ported MD games in that show. And yeah as Sam already had asked, howdid you created that Japanese call at the end? :)

majors

"controversial...someone is bound to like some of these games..." -True! Like assholes, everyone has an opinion. I have some opposing views on some of the choices. I will not bother to mention them...

"lolly pops and cuddly puppies" = lols
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Tatsujin

Quote from: majors on 04/24/2012, 10:06 AMLike assholes, everyone has an opinion.
LOL? :D

Joe Redifer

He means "Opinions are like assholes... everyone has one".  But I think I like his version better.

Tatsujin

Yeah i figured it comes from the harry quote.
Btw, pls reply to our question asap :)

Colossus1574

Great episode highlighting all the crap on the Genny, so glad i skipped Earnest Evans...man, what a sad ass effort next to El Viento!
...... :lol:
one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

I actually enjoyed Cap & The Avengers (a decent arcade port), Galaxy Force 2, and Last Battle (only because i knew the Japanese one is Fist of the North Star) they did screw this one up on US/Can shores...

Joe Redifer

Tats, I'll answer if you can give me a translation of what is said.

Joe Redifer

Bernie

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/06/2012, 10:40 PMNewest episode:

The Sega Dreamcast
Just watched it.  Nice one.  I have actually been thinking about getting one of these.

Mathius

Quote from: Bernie on 05/06/2012, 10:55 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/06/2012, 10:40 PMNewest episode:

The Sega Dreamcast
Just watched it.  Nice one.  I have actually been thinking about getting one of these. 
What??? You don't own a DC??? Bad, Bernie! Bad! Go get one. Now!

Tatsujin

do you have a DC?
no you don't have a DC.
get you a DC!

roflmao

It's an amazing system, marred (imo) by a controller that is uncomfortable after extended use and a really loud disc drive.  Of course I jumped all over it when it was released, as I did when the Turbografx-16 was released.   :?  Hooray for supporting the underdog.

I spent countless hours in college playing Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur, Phantasy Star Online, Shenmue, and Skies of Arcadia.  It really was ahead of its time.  And who could forget Bleemcast!  Playing Gran Turismo 2 on the Dreamcast was bittersweet, as I remember the magazine ads saying you'd be able to play nearly any PS1 game on the DC.  It still kicked ass though.  I only wish I had picked up the other Bleemcast discs (I remember there was at least a Metal Gear Solid one).

Joe Redifer

I was never able to play Bleemcast. I think it was banned before it came out in this part of the country or something, or maybe it was mail order only here.

roflmao

Surprisingly, after a quick ebay search, the Bleemcast discs don't go for very much right now.  I just picked up the Metal Gear Solid one for $10 shipped.  Of course you still need the original PS1 game as well.

It looks like they released Bleemcast discs for Gran Turismo 2, Tekken 3, and Metal Gear Solid.  It's too bad they weren't able to release one disc, as originally intended, that would play most of the PS1 library.

Mathius

I remember seeing Bleemcast! for sale at my local Electronics Boutique back in the day.   

...I really miss that store.

Tatsujin

it's more of a blamecast.

roflmao

Quote from: Mathius on 05/06/2012, 11:52 PMI remember seeing Bleemcast! for sale at my local Electronics Boutique back in the day.   

...I really miss that store.
Me too. :(  That's where I got my GT Bleemcast! disc (I think it works for both GT1 and GT2 but I sold GT1 bitd when GT2 came out).  It came in a cardboard sleeve and was sitting on the counter.

I miss those days.  I think that same store sold me a used Dragonforce for the Saturn and Super Mario RPG for the SNES.  Oh, the memories.

SuperDeadite

I got rid of my DC.  It was fun for awhile, but the exclusives didn't have much lasting power.  Most of the games I truly liked ended up getting upgrades on other systems.  I still have a few games floating around, but it's been years since I've had a system.  Ironically I do still have an official VGA box and a nice 3rd party japanese RGB cable as well since those are hard to replace.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/06/2012, 11:41 PMI was never able to play Bleemcast. I think it was banned before it came out in this part of the country or something, or maybe it was mail order only here.
It came out, but they released "packs" which would allow you to play particular games rather than an "all in one" emulator.
--DragonmasterDan

Ji-L87

Nice episode, I don't mind waiting if this is the reward. I never owned a N64 because, SEGA kid as I was, I was looking forward to that sleek beast. Although being impressed by it, my friends never bought one and skipped to the PS2 instead I guess. Mine still works, but control ports are a bit wonky. Considering how much I loved system, it's alarmingly under represented in my collection, which is weird.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

spenoza

I think the Dreamcast is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, systems. I spent time with those games. I was invested. There was a lot of creative product that simply hasn't been out any where else in the same form. Lots of games have had sequels or remakes, but the DC versions remain the best of those titles.

Colossus1574

Yep, DC was too short lived unfortunately...I do think the piracy did some damage on software sales,  poor move on Sega's staff during the design stage.
I also think it got hurt pretty bad by not having a built in DVD player which probably helped the ol' PS2 sell hella alot more units. Now it would be unfathomable for Sega to even think of getting back into the console market  :cry:

SMF

I love my Dreamcast. Got one when it first came out loved the hell out of the 2K sports and Marvel vs Capcoms also if you only ever played Shenmu on xbox you should go bash your head inro a wall lol. But I do remember playing GTA2 and Seaman lol. Seaman was cool I got him to move the dam rock and grow legs and walk then the bastard died on me lol.

I have Nintendo emulator discs for DC use. Gameboy, Nes and snes. Everygame ever released in all if I'm not mistaken. If I remember correctly you loaded the startup discthen after the load screen came up you tossed in the other disc. Ahhhhh yes memories.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch