RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Limited Run Games

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/03/2016, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gypsy

Quote from: bartre on 06/11/2016, 05:58 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 06/10/2016, 03:29 PMGenerally terrible, but I was able to take advantage of a store that did that by getting complete PSP games for dirt cheap. Gamecube as well previously but Gamestop recently raised their Gamecube prices (due to their retro nonsense).
oh no, they're not in the business of cheap.
I do occasionally trade them some garbage for more than I could sell it for, IF I could sell it.
that's the only time i buy from them really.
Ah so they only price against Gamestop on newer stuff. Well that's just entirely terrible then.

What some of the really high priced stores will offer for some stuff is nuts. I guess they can do that when they mark up $15 games (on ebay) to $70 (real example).

NecroPhile

Quote from: wiseau on 06/10/2016, 10:19 PMThey're right to worry, most of the games they publish are trash and they know it.
I wouldn't go that far.  Breach & Clear is pretty much crap, but the rest get mediocre (Futuridium, Octodad, Saturday Morning RPG) to mostly positive reviews (Oddworld, Xeodrifter, Soldner X2).

They're not AAA gems, of course, but no reasonable person should expect that.  If the games were good enough to go toe to toe with the best, they'd have had a normal retail release already and been priced accordingly.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 06/13/2016, 11:13 AM
Quote from: wiseau on 06/10/2016, 10:19 PMThey're right to worry, most of the games they publish are trash and they know it.
I wouldn't go that far.  Breach & Clear is pretty much crap, but the rest get mediocre (Futuridium, Octodad, Saturday Morning RPG) to mostly positive reviews (Oddworld, Xeodrifter, Soldner X2).

They're not AAA gems, of course, but no reasonable person should expect that.  If the games were good enough to go toe to toe with the best, they'd have had a normal retail release already and been priced accordingly.
Soldner looks pretty good to me. Hoping for Axiom Verge.

Psycho Punch

I heard that they tried to get Yakuza 5 a physical release but sega refused. THANK GOD, because having a "limited run" release is the same as manna dropping from heaven to flippers and collectards' hands. I'd rather not have Yakuza 5 because it only exists on PSN than not have it because copies would be gone in a quarter of second and only available at a 300% markup from an ebay seller.

Let's not fool ourselves here, their market strategy is to sell at an absurdly low quantity so they'll all be gone no matter what's pressed on the disc. They are definitely not interested in selling a normal quantity of discs at retail, and no, they're not about "giving to the community", lol. Hell, look at their name.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 06/13/2016, 11:24 AMI heard that they tried to get Yakuza 5 a physical release but sega refused. THANK GOD, because having a "limited run" release is the same as manna dropping from heaven to flippers and collectards' hands. I'd rather not have Yakuza 5 because it only exists on PSN than not have it because copies would be gone in a quarter of second and only available at a 300% markup from an ebay seller.
I greatly enjoy the Yakuza series, so much so that I bought the game digitally. I would have bought it again physically without a doubt if I could have secured one from LRG but you are completely correct about how that would have went.

Enternal

Follow up to the Vita Walmart search, the one in my area that had 3 bundles is gone :(. My brother in Tallahassee is going to check his hopefully we can find 1 - 2 more to distribute.

Enternal

Almost time for SÖLDNER-X

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Enternal on 06/18/2016, 09:20 AMAlmost time for SÖLDNER-X
That's the one I am waiting for. Sure that October dad is coming out tomorrow but it never interested me. Not even as a budget title.

However the marketing with Father's Day is pretty good. I have to give them creadit for that

Enternal

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/18/2016, 10:02 AM
Quote from: Enternal on 06/18/2016, 09:20 AMAlmost time for SÖLDNER-X
That's the one I am waiting for. Sure that October dad is coming out tomorrow but it never interested me. Not even as a budget title.

However the marketing with Father's Day is pretty good. I have to give them creadit for that
...I mixed up July 18 with June 18 lol

But yea the Father's day marketing was good, I didnt even think about that.

ParanoiaDragon

I think I've decided to not bother getting up early to get Octo Dad.  It looks like it "might" be one of those fun quirky games that I "might" enjoy....but at the same time, it looks like a game I could end up absolutely hating & getting totally frustrated with!
IMG

bartre

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 06/19/2016, 02:55 AMI think I've decided to not bother getting up early to get Octo Dad.  It looks like it "might" be one of those fun quirky games that I "might" enjoy....but at the same time, it looks like a game I could end up absolutely hating & getting totally frustrated with!
honestly, it's a really fun game, but it's a one and done game.
IE, i'll probably never play through it again, but I really enjoyed the steam version.

glazball

Quote from: guest on 06/10/2016, 03:27 PMI can't pat LRG too hard on the back, seeing as they're intentionally limiting production numbers to feed the collectard mindset.  I understand not wanting a warehouse full of unsold stock, but surely there's a middle ground between that and selling out within minutes, but they're worried that most current buyers won't buy at all if the production numbers were less constricted.
I see what you're saying NecroPhile, but it does seem a little unfair to me.  After all, the whole reason for their existence is to release a limited number of physical discs/games.  Anyone who just wants to play the game can buy it digitally and be done.  (If the games were exclusive and otherwise unavailable, I would understand your argument.)

Also, I bought Octodad on Father's Day and the morning run did sell out quickly.  But I checked on the 2nd run and there were still copies for sale 2 days later, though it's now sold out.  So to anyone who says they are just fueling the "collectard mindset" is being unfair because everyone had a chance to pick up Octodad at retail cost if they wanted it.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to attack the "physical-copy-tard" mindset that likes to have/own an actual game.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

NecroPhile

Quote from: glazball on 06/27/2016, 02:56 PMI see what you're saying NecroPhile, but it does seem a little unfair to me.  After all, the whole reason for their existence is to release a limited number of physical discs/games.
Pfft, fairness.  I don't know how dumb you think I am, but rest assured that I comprehend the meaning of "limited run games".  :lol:

Quote from: glazball on 06/27/2016, 02:56 PMAlso, I bought Octodad on Father's Day and the morning run did sell out quickly.  But I checked on the 2nd run and there were still copies for sale 2 days later, though it's now sold out.  So to anyone who says they are just fueling the "collectard mindset" is being unfair because everyone had a chance to pick up Octodad at retail cost if they wanted it.
I based my statement on all titles sold to date, not a single title produced in 40-233% greater volume and yet to be released.  :roll:

Octodad is exactly what I'd like to see, though, as a title produced in somewhat greater quantities and thus easier to snag.  Is 3500 copies (or even 5000) really all that less of a "limited release" than 1500-2500?  Compared to most games made in the tens of thousands, I say no.

Quote from: glazball on 06/27/2016, 02:56 PMPerhaps it would be more accurate to attack the "physical-copy-tard" mindset that likes to have/own an actual game.
I'll attack both, thanks.

glazball

Another point I meant to make but forgot is that Limited Run Games doesn't choose how many of each game gets made.  That is up to the developer.  At least, that's what I remember from their on-site FAQ which I'm too lazy now to look up.

I'm sure we can all get behind sending our hate towards those fucktards who, whether the game had 100 or 4500 copies made, choose to intentionally keep them sealed and never play them.  Those fuckers are worse than all the flippers combined.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

xcrement5x

Quote from: glazball on 06/28/2016, 02:45 PMAnother point I meant to make but forgot is that Limited Run Games doesn't choose how many of each game gets made.  That is up to the developer.  At least, that's what I remember from their on-site FAQ which I'm too lazy now to look up.

I'm sure we can all get behind sending our hate towards those fucktards who, whether the game had 100 or 4500 copies made, choose to intentionally keep them sealed and never play them.  Those fuckers are worse than all the flippers combined.
I think the smallest run you can do on a Vita/PS4 game is about 1500 copies.

Gypsy

I grabbed both of the games that were up this time. Xeodrifter is definitely my thing and I'm looking forward to it. Fairly suspicious of Lost Sea but if I don't like it I plan to gift it to a friend that really likes that style of game.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/06/2016, 03:41 PMI grabbed both of the games that were up this time. Xeodrifter is definitely my thing and I'm looking forward to it. Fairly suspicious of Lost Sea but if I don't like it I plan to gift it to a friend that really likes that style of game.
I ended up picking up xeodrifter for the vita. Not sure if I will 100% love it but figured what the hell from what reviews I have seen its very short and should be a good on the go game.

As for lost at sea. Similarly to octo dad I simply had no interest.

Now the upcoming shooter. That has my attention. The only question is which version. The vita or the PS4 copy?

Gypsy

Yeah you should be able to beat Xeodrifter in under 2 hours I think.

Soldner is only Vita I believe, so your choice it made for you. I definitely hope I can get an order in for Soldner.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/06/2016, 04:55 PMYeah you should be able to beat Xeodrifter in under 2 hours I think.

Soldner is only Vita I believe, so your choice it made for you. I definitely hope I can get an order in for Soldner.
Yeah, SOLDNER seems like it will have huge demand.

ParanoiaDragon

I grabbed Xeodrifter.  I already beat the digital version when it first came out, but, it's a neat game so I figured I'd get the real deal.  It's no where near as good as Axiom Verge(which I also already beat), it'd be nice if that got a physical copy.
IMG

Groover

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/06/2016, 01:42 PMI'd love them to do:

Scott  pilgrim vs the world
Duke Nukem (since the PC port is now on PSN)
Maiden of Blackwater (come on Nintendo snubbing NA with digital only?)
Mega man 9&10
Some kind of TG-16/Neo Geo compilation of the digital games available
Fez

You know stuff at the caliber of the Odd World which to date feels like the onlly highly polished game they have released physically.
This would be great. Megaman and Scott Pilgrim I hope could happen. I doubt TG16 will ever see the light of day. Maybe but either some company has to buy Hudsonsoft from Konami or Konami really makes a 180 and not pachinko games.
IMG

Enternal

I didn't see the list time for soldner, is July 18 10 am est still the predicted time?

Gypsy

ParanoiaDragon

This isn't Limited Run, but, Fan Gamer is releasing a physical copy of Shovel Knight for Vita, I plan on ordering!

http://www.fangamer.com/products/shovel-knight-for-ps-vita

•Includes a lovingly crafted, full color, 42 page instruction manual!
•Game version 2.0 just like the original 2015 retail release. Complete with the Plague of Shadows campaign, Challenge Mode, and a very special guest: Kratos from God of War!
•This version will receive free upcoming updates just like the digital PS Vita version. Including Specter Knight's campaign, King Knight's campaign, and Body Swap Mode.
•Shares the same trophy/game data as the digital PS Vita release.
•Transfer your save file from other Sony platforms using the in-game Cross-Save menu
•Region-free so you can enjoy Shovel Knight no matter where you are!
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/09/2016, 01:56 AMThis isn't Limited Run, but, Fan Gamer is releasing a physical copy of Shovel Knight for Vita, I plan on ordering!

http://www.fangamer.com/products/shovel-knight-for-ps-vita

•Includes a lovingly crafted, full color, 42 page instruction manual!
•Game version 2.0 just like the original 2015 retail release. Complete with the Plague of Shadows campaign, Challenge Mode, and a very special guest: Kratos from God of War!
•This version will receive free upcoming updates just like the digital PS Vita version. Including Specter Knight's campaign, King Knight's campaign, and Body Swap Mode.
•Shares the same trophy/game data as the digital PS Vita release.
•Transfer your save file from other Sony platforms using the in-game Cross-Save menu
•Region-free so you can enjoy Shovel Knight no matter where you are!
I ordered one. Just had to. For the vita of it all.

NecroPhile

I ordered one too.  I don't know if it's allowed or even possible, but it'd be nice if they allocated enough save space on the cart to hold the download campaigns.

ParanoiaDragon

I just ordered Shovel Knight, & picked up a Metroid shirt with it.

http://www.fangamer.com/products/hunt-the-huntress
IMG

Gypsy

LRG hinted strongly at Jamestown recently. I'd buy the fuck out of it.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/12/2016, 05:55 PMLRG hinted strongly at Jamestown recently. I'd buy the fuck out of it.
Now that's a game I can get behind.

Groover

I read on twitter they they are going to sell Solder-X2 at the end of July.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Groover on 07/12/2016, 09:25 PMI read on twitter they they are going to sell Solder-X2 at the end of July.
Yeah along with their remaining 30 copies of breach n clear.

Gypsy

July 29th. Also the Breach and Clear sequel that I won't be buying, lol.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/13/2016, 09:10 AMJuly 29th. Also the Breach and Clear sequel that I won't be buying, lol.
I know people are extorting high prices for that breach n clear but honestly there is a reason I didn't buy it when it was available on LR website. The game looks like ass.

Gypsy

It's a terrible game I would agree.

ParanoiaDragon

BTW, I might mention(as I don't recall it being mentioned), Xeodrifter came with a full color manual!  I wasn't expecting that in this day & age!
IMG

Enternal

I was looking for soldner today....a day too late

Gypsy

Quote from: Enternal on 07/30/2016, 10:21 AMI was looking for soldner today....a day too late
It was a bloodbath. I tried to order a copy in the 2nd wave (within a minute of it going up) and got locked up in the it's in stock but oh wait it's not when you try to check out loop. First time where I tried to order from them and was unable to do so. No big deal though.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/30/2016, 10:41 AM
Quote from: Enternal on 07/30/2016, 10:21 AMI was looking for soldner today....a day too late
It was a bloodbath. I tried to order a copy in the 2nd wave (within a minute of it going up) and got locked up in the it's in stock but oh wait it's not when you try to check out loop. First time where I tried to order from them and was unable to do so. No big deal though.
Same things happened to me. Dang it. First game I want since odd world and I couldn't buy it.

Not only did the game diaper in less then 5 minutes there seemed to be other issues with people buying two copies and so on and so forth. Or as some on Twiter described it a cluster fuck.

After 20 minutes of trying I went ahead and got breach & clear dead line. Figured maybe I could use it as trade bait for the shooter I wanted.

Flare65

It was a cluster fuck.

I was at the webpage the moment Soldner was available online.  The product description listed it at 75%-100% stock left when I added a copy to my cart.  I clicked on Paypal checkout and the next page said the game was out of stock.  I returned back to the product page where it said the stock was now less than 50% left.  Added the game to my cart again and the same thing happened with Paypal checkout.  I tried over and over to get a single copy of the game and couldn't get one, despite the product page saying there was still 25% left.  I kept getting the out of stock screen despite clicking on the normal checkout button or the Paypal checkout.  I tried about 15 times before the game was listed out of stock and you couldn't add it to the cart anymore.  :(

Fast forward to later in the day when the second batch came available.  Same EXACT thing happened.  I  could add it to the cart just fine, but clicking checkout said they were out of stock.  I tried this probably about 40-50 times before the game was sold out.  It even gave me the sold out screen when the product description page said there was still 10 copies left.

Really disappointing as I wanted a physical copy of the game.  I did everything right on my end.....was at the product page minutes before it was available both times, was able to add it to the cart, but still got told it was out of stock.

Really bugs me that those who were able to actually purchase a copy were able to buy two of them.

They posted on their forums that they are looking into it as what happened to me seemed to happen to a lot of other people.  Really disappointed.

BlueBMW

You read their forums and its nothing but collectards.  This hobby is ruined. I'm getting into something else.  Maybe hiking.  I don't think collectards can fuck that up.

Edit:

Look at this twat.  "Are games going to get proper seals like other new games?  I'm not a sealed game collector but I want that seal!!"

http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=515
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Gypsy

Quote from: Flare65 on 07/30/2016, 12:26 PMReally bugs me that those who were able to actually purchase a copy were able to buy two of them.

They posted on their forums that they are looking into it as what happened to me seemed to happen to a lot of other people.  Really disappointed.
I hear ya. And some that got it, probably don't even gaf about the game, they just see dollar signs.

In any case apparently there was a glitch in their system that let people buy shit before it went live. Supposedly it will be fixed by the time the next game goes up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211929222&postcount=6073

Limited Run Games ‏@LimitedRunGames 6 min.
Thanks to one of our fans for explaining how people were adding things to their cart before they went live. This will be fixed for August!

Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/30/2016, 12:36 PMYou read their forums and its nothing but collectards.  This hobby is ruined. I'm getting into something else.  Maybe hiking.  I don't think collectards can fuck that up.

Edit:

Look at this twat.  "Are games going to get proper seals like other new games?  I'm not a sealed game collector but I want that seal!!"

http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=515
Lol @ "Im not a sealed game collector, i just don't have time to play all the games I buy."

Caring about the seal type? Really? Even if you are a sealed collector, you know how these games came sealed originally, so I really don't see how it's a problem. I'd rather get opened PS4 games so they make sure the disc is secure in the case.

TheClash603

I am surprised people had trouble getting a game, the last few they sold were available for hours before they were out of stock.  Maybe they had a game with genuine hype for once, their selection had been fairly lackluster until now.

Medic_wheat

That's odd. I wasn't sure what their tweet about a glitch in the system was referring to but now I get it.

So. Jn my opinin. Doesn't this mean they should just cancel all the orders who ordered more then two?  As well as do a do over and cancel anyone's order who bought it before the game went up for sale officially? 

Just my thought. However I am sure that won't happen.

Also yeah what you described about stock showing up as avilable and not being able to pay for it after putting it in your cart happened to me.

Gypsy

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/30/2016, 02:36 PMI am surprised people had trouble getting a game, the last few they sold were available for hours before they were out of stock.  Maybe they had a game with genuine hype for once, their selection had been fairly lackluster until now.
Yeah hopefully it isn't a problem going forward with more desirable games.

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 07/30/2016, 02:42 PMThat's odd. I wasn't sure what their tweet about a glitch in the system was referring to but now I get it.

So. Jn my opinin. Doesn't this mean they should just cancel all the orders who ordered more then two?  As well as do a do over and cancel anyone's order who bought it before the game went up for sale officially? 

Just my thought. However I am sure that won't happen.

Also yeah what you described about stock showing up as avilable and not being able to pay for it after putting it in your cart happened to me.
Nice ideas, but yeah I doubt it as well. They have their money already.

At least I know I was not alone with that in stock can't check out crap, seems to have been a widespread problem.

TheClash603

I also think the allowance to order 2 when there is a limited run of games is a bad idea.  If they were having problems selling through stock, I would get it, but every game sells out same day.  If they went back to 1 copy per person and in the event they didn't sell through their whole stock, I could understand, but I don't see this being an issue.

nectarsis

Tried for Soldner as well BAHHHHH
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Gypsy

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/30/2016, 03:19 PMI also think the allowance to order 2 when there is a limited run of games is a bad idea.  If they were having problems selling through stock, I would get it, but every game sells out same day.  If they went back to 1 copy per person and in the event they didn't sell through their whole stock, I could understand, but I don't see this being an issue.
Yeah I think they should limit it to one per person for at least a day (preferably 2-3 days) and then if it hasn't sold out (unlikely) just make it a free for all.

HailingTheThings

I ordered Soldner with no problem. Always make sure all your things are in order. Make an account with LRG and make sure everything is in order. Log in. Log in to your paypal as well. Sit at the order page and repeatedly press F5 until the option to add the game to cart appears. That's all I've done for every game and I haven't had any issues. Maybe I'm just lucky. idk.
IMG

Flare65

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 07/30/2016, 06:06 PMI ordered Soldner with no problem. Always make sure all your things are in order. Make an account with LRG and make sure everything is in order. Log in. Log in to your paypal as well. Sit at the order page and repeatedly press F5 until the option to add the game to cart appears. That's all I've done for every game and I haven't had any issues. Maybe I'm just lucky. idk.
I had everything in order.  :/

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Flare65 on 07/30/2016, 07:56 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 07/30/2016, 06:06 PMI ordered Soldner with no problem. Always make sure all your things are in order. Make an account with LRG and make sure everything is in order. Log in. Log in to your paypal as well. Sit at the order page and repeatedly press F5 until the option to add the game to cart appears. That's all I've done for every game and I haven't had any issues. Maybe I'm just lucky. idk.
I had everything in order.  :/
As did I. Minus the computer part. It was all on my cell. Granted I had a user account and was logged in as well as my paypal.