RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Xymati

Started by Keranu, 03/15/2009, 04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

Actually I'd like to see it approached casually, as if mentioned in the "story" before the title screen or instruction manual or something about how there is a planet called Earth and it's inhabitants must be killed to make way for a new mega-mall or something.

FraGMarE

Here are a couple more images I've been working on recently for some of the lv.4 background scenery.  In level 4 you pass through the outer solar system en route to the enemy's forward operating base on Pluto.

/saturn02.gif
/pluto_horizon01.gif

Joe Redifer

Keranu

Ooh, haven't seen that second image before!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Arjak

Awesome! Only problem I see is that Saturn's rings don't slowly go dark like its surface, they just sorta turn dark instantly. A little shading would do wonders there.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

ccovell

But.... that's how shadows work!  Put a spherical/cylindrical object (like a mug) on a piece of paper and shine a light from a flashlight...  the sphere (planet) will be smoothly shaded, and it'll cast a straight shadow on the paper (planet's rings)

Arjak

esteban

Quote from: Tom on 03/31/2009, 12:46 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/31/2009, 11:38 AM
Quote from: Tom on 03/31/2009, 11:06 AM
QuoteActually, I'd like to see a game where you play an alien and you must kill all humans for no reason whatsoever.
Umm, Destroy All Humans?
What?! You're familiar with my personal website from the late 90's?

Crazy, bizarre world...
Wait... what?
When personal web sites were becoming passé in the late 90's, I had started one:

http://community-2.webtv.net/steve-********/DESTROYALLHUMANS/index.html

Yup, courtesy webtv. My wife got webtv for free (another story), but it was worthless for web browsing... but I used it for free hosting. (Aside: WebTV's tv stuff, though, that was neat, it was a precursor to the modern functionality and GUI for schedules on tv. Of course, the downside was that it had to download program info daily, via dial-up, early in the morning when everyone was sleeping).

By the way, THQ "borrowed" the name of the game from me (and the concept), via an employee who frequented TG-16 / NES message boards. Ridiculous? I think not!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Windancer

Xymati Looks great! Looks like things are shaping up in homebrew! Hope we see both this and insanity in the future im buying tickets!

ParanoiaDragon

You're not waiting for Mysterious Song?  It's still coming, though, I haven't talked to Nod/Rover in several months, & I haven't been able to iron out the last few details needed in the music, but, the game is so damn close to being finished!
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/20/2009, 01:44 AMYou're not waiting for Mysterious Song?
I'm still waiting on pins and needles, though it's getting to be a bit like waiting for Duke Nukem Forever:-"
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arjak

Quote from: guest on 05/20/2009, 09:35 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/20/2009, 01:44 AMYou're not waiting for Mysterious Song?
I'm still waiting on pins and needles, though it's getting to be a bit like waiting for Duke Nukem Forever:-"
So, what progress has been made since last update, and what's left to do? :-k

ParanoiaDragon

What's left to do?  CrackTiger needs to finish the scenes for 1, maybe 2 cinemas(I don't recall), I have 1 song in particular I just need to give a little oomph to, & a few others I may add some extra oomph depending on time, there's I think a few animations that need to be added to the npc's & possibly to various water tiles.....& I think that's it.  I think the super dungeon is done which was one of the last things, if not the last, that needed tiles.  Though, we need Nod to put it all together, & I think he's having money troubles I think, so he's been concentrating on trying to take care of his family.  I do want to get the project over with, so we can have something done & move completely onto our next couple of projects which have quite a bit done on already.
IMG

Windancer

Sweet Lords of Thunder! This game looks good  :dance:

Nate

Arjak wrote:
QuoteNow then, seeing as it's a shmup for the Turbo/PCE, I would hope that the soundtrack is as good as the graphics and gameplay
I've been at the music for over 2 years and it's coming along really well I think. I'm confident that the audio will compliment the game and then some. I may release a sample or two in the near future, but I'm partial to just waiting for Xymati's release.

Arjak

Well, I'm past sold! This is turning out to be one of the greatest homebrews yet, if not one of the greatest PC Engine games, period! This is very likely going to be ordered by me release day, if possible! :dance:

ParanoiaDragon

I've heard atleast 1 song from the game, I think it was for the last level, it has a very 16-bit feel, & it just plain rocks, not sure how else to describe it, without spoiling anything to the masses.  This soundtrack will rock!
IMG

nat

I hope the music has a more arcade feel to it that compliments the gameplay style, as opposed to the ambient techno/trance music in Implode and Meteor Blaster. Don't get me wrong; that kind of music goes really well with Implode, but it wasn't as effective in Meteor Blaster and I think it would definitely be unfitting for Xymati. Just my opinion.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 06/15/2009, 09:39 PMI hope the music has a more arcade feel to it that compliments the gameplay style, as opposed to the ambient techno/trance music in Implode and Meteor Blaster. Don't get me wrong; that kind of music goes really well with Implode, but it wasn't as effective in Meteor Blaster and I think it would definitely be unfitting for Xymati. Just my opinion.
that reminds me of this

Behold: Metal Dust for the Commodore 64 w/ SuperCPU attachment:
Very nice to have a game of that caliber backed by some cracked out German-Techno

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

override

Game looks freaking SWEET!!!

I will definatly buy one!

Keep up the Coolness!
IMG

Arjak

Quote from: guest on 06/16/2009, 04:59 PM
Quote from: nat on 06/15/2009, 09:39 PMI hope the music has a more arcade feel to it that compliments the gameplay style, as opposed to the ambient techno/trance music in Implode and Meteor Blaster. Don't get me wrong; that kind of music goes really well with Implode, but it wasn't as effective in Meteor Blaster and I think it would definitely be unfitting for Xymati. Just my opinion.
that reminds me of this

Behold: Metal Dust for the Commodore 64 w/ SuperCPU attachment:
Very nice to have a game of that caliber backed by some cracked out German-Techno
:shock:

DAMN! That's a C64 game? Awesome!

TurboXray

QuoteDAMN! That's a C64 game?
Well, not really. A c64 with a 16bit 20mhz CPU addon and 16megabyte memory address range. Not so impressive when you think about it that way.

ParanoiaDragon

I don't think there will be any(or atleast very little) techno/trance stuff, judging by what I listened to, but, I just don't want to say too much, cuz it's a privledge just to have heard the song, I have no authority to give away anything.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tom on 06/16/2009, 06:53 PM
QuoteDAMN! That's a C64 game?
Well, not really. A c64 with a 16bit 20mhz CPU addon and 16megabyte memory address range. Not so impressive when you think about it that way.
yeah so its a Sega Genesis with a crapass video chip behind it.

And 1 button joystick . :)
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

FraGMarE

I can assure you there will be no eurotrance/techno.  Nate McClain, of Vodkatron, is creating a soundtrack for Xymati that I can only describe as something like Gate Of Thunder meets Border Down... like if Syn Sound Design teamed up with Yasuhisa Watanabe and made some fast paced arcade shoot 'em up music.  There will be wailing guitar, there will be crazy spaced out synth, there will be kicking drumbeats and overtones of heorism, dread, and sinister intentions.

Arjak

WARNING: USER ARJAK'S EXPECTATION FACTOR RISING PAST MAXIMUM SAFETY LEVELS! UNABLE TO ACTIVATE EMERGENCY PATIENCE SYSTEMS! HAVE A NICE DAY!

*BOOM!*

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: fragmare on 06/18/2009, 01:02 PMovertones of heorism, dread, and sinister intentions.
what about epic doom.

FraGMarE

Quote from: guest on 06/19/2009, 04:54 PM
Quote from: fragmare on 06/18/2009, 01:02 PMovertones of heorism, dread, and sinister intentions.
what about epic doom.
That too!  :)

Nate

nat:
QuoteI hope the music has a more arcade feel to it that compliments the gameplay style, as opposed to the ambient techno/trance music in Implode and Meteor Blaster. Don't get me wrong; that kind of music goes really well with Implode, but it wasn't as effective in Meteor Blaster and I think it would definitely be unfitting for Xymati. Just my opinion.
I agree with you on this. And, while I don't want to upset the whole techno/trance/crack...thing-fanbase, I DO tend to think that a proper PC Engine vertical arcade shooter should have an OST that mirrors some of the greats from the early 90's; like those in Gate of Thunder, Sapphire, Gunhed, "Soldier Series", Rayxanber 2, Spriggan to name a few... I was heavily affected by these along with Zuntata and the music houses of Tecno Soft and even Irem.

As for MBDX, I think the music put a certain "cooling effect" on the game that helped me endure getting all the way up to stage...31? Also if you've heard the boss theme from MBDX, then technically you've heard Vodkatron...although to be quite honest, that song was practically the first thing we ever did - back in good ol' 2003! I think it's safe to say that we've improved by "leaps and bounds" since then.  :)

Also, for the soundtrack - it's looking like the "end credits" theme will be a brilliant composition by Louis Gornfeld - who will also be handling the PSG music and sound fx! 8)

ParanoiaDragon:
QuoteI don't think there will be any(or atleast very little) techno/trance stuff, judging by what I listened to, but, I just don't want to say too much, cuz it's a privledge just to have heard the song, I have no authority to give away anything.
and...
QuoteI've heard atleast 1 song from the game, I think it was for the last level, it has a very 16-bit feel, & it just plain rocks, not sure how else to describe it, without spoiling anything to the masses.  This soundtrack will rock!
Thank you for the kind words! Although, admittedly one of the tracks, tentatively titled "Techspearmint", kinda sounds like the "ear candy" style techno-ish stuff you'd hear from Tamayo Kawamoto from the "Rayforce" series.

FraGMarE

Yea... I'll go ahead and "leak" the end credits track because I know Louis doesn't mind sharing his stuff.  It's a pretty brilliant track, as the rest of the OST will be.  It's up to Nate if he wants to leak any snippets of the rest of the OST.   Enjoy!  :)

/Dawn_with_fadeout.mp3

Arjak

Love it. Has a real "conquering hero" sound to it, which fits perfectly for the end of a space shooter. This is a game I cannot wait to have in my hands (much less my Duo)!

nat

That track rocks, that's just the sort of thing I had in mind in my earlier post. Can't wait.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Arkhan Asylum

pretty nice track.  The lead synth sounds great. I am not a fan of the tone of the guitar chords though...

esteban

Quote from: nat on 06/27/2009, 07:20 PMThat track rocks, that's just the sort of thing I had in mind in my earlier post. Can't wait.
That track is quite nice, indeed. Splendid*, actually.

To make it perfect, though, we just need to increase the tempo and add some more synthesizer, drum machine, looping, sequencing.

Oh yeah, and get rid of the butt-rock** guitar.

Just kidding, you bastard!

* Not kidding!

** Not kidding!

CrackTiger

It sounds exactly like a PCE game made in 2009. The sound quality is clearer while the music is very PCE'ish but still has modern touches. I especially love the Ys synth sound. I can't think of a better way to describe it other than "perfect". I'm even more excited about Xyamati now. :) I just hope that the gameplay lives up to the graphics and music.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Quote from: fragmare on 06/27/2009, 06:05 PMYea... I'll go ahead and "leak" the end credits track because I know Louis doesn't mind sharing his stuff.  It's a pretty brilliant track, as the rest of the OST will be.  It's up to Nate if he wants to leak any snippets of the rest of the OST.   Enjoy!  :)

/Dawn_with_fadeout.mp3
That sounds pretty sexy; not the hard rockin' awesomeness of GoT, but quite good nonetheless.  I can't wait to hear (and play) the whole enchilada.  8)

FraGMarE

Here's a little medley of some of the Xymati tracks, in their current respective states, that will be in the game.  The first sample is the title screen track and the last is the enter initials track.  all the samples in between are from various stages.  For your listening pleasure....

/XyMedly.mp3

(fixed URL)

shubibiman

* shubibiman can't wait /me can't wait /me can't wait
=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

esteban

Thanks for sharing the awesomeness, fragmare.

The correct link to the mp3 is /XyMedly.mp3

You added an errant pound (#) symbol in there :)

The songs... they are like, like, 

IMG

Wonderful. You guys kick ass, and the music dude used lots of synth :) (as far as the medley is concerned), so it isn't a guitarfest. It is an awesomefest.

Awesome.

REQUEST: I'll buy a CD+G enhanced Xymati Soundtrack, please!!!!!

Nate

Wow, thanks Esteban! That could be the compliment ever!

Yeah, it's really exciting watching the game take shape; the "snowball" is swelling and rolling pretty fast - I can hardly wait for its completion myself; well, we really CAN'T wait if we're going to make that 2010 deadline!

NecroPhile

Quote from: Nate on 07/24/2009, 01:53 PMYeah, it's really exciting watching the game take shape; the "snowball" is swelling and rolling pretty fast - I can hardly wait for its completion myself; well, we really CAN'T wait if we're going to make that 2010 deadline!
I won't be holding my breath*, but is that deadline the beginning or end of '10?

* - no offense intended; I realize that when shit happens, real life takes priority.

esteban

Quote from: Nate on 07/24/2009, 01:53 PMWow, thanks Esteban! That could be the compliment ever!

Yeah, it's really exciting watching the game take shape; the "snowball" is swelling and rolling pretty fast - I can hardly wait for its completion myself; well, we really CAN'T wait if we're going to make that 2010 deadline!
The praise is well-deserved.

It's been fun to see this project develop. I don't care when Xymati will released, it will totally be worth it.

:)

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Nate on 07/24/2009, 01:53 PMWow, thanks Esteban! That could be the compliment ever!

I hear some Blazing Lazers in there :)
IMG

Nate

ParanoiaDragon:
QuoteI hear some Blazing Lazers in there
Yeah, it's an homage. The working title for that song is "Gunhed in the Clouds" - Stage 2 theme, where you're flying over the cityscape at night and then you end up in...space I think?

Arjak

If I was a video game soundtrack of the opposite sex, I'd make sweet, passionate love to this one. =P~ =D>

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Arjak on 07/24/2009, 08:35 PMIf I was a video game soundtrack of the opposite sex, I'd make sweet, passionate love to this one. =P~ =D>
id make sweet sexy time if I were the same sex too dude!

Nate

Ok, right now the respective compliments of esteban, Arjak, and Arkhan are engaged in a 3-way, "no-holds-barred" nude baby oil wrestling match. I can't pinpoint which one that makes me most glad...I can only say thanks X 1,000,000,000!

And, I think I can also say that I believe that the culmination of efforts by our "rag-tag" band of experts will eventually (most likely sooner than later) yield a title that will truly "make the tapioca fly"! 8)

Sounds nice, but look a little closer. Each team member is a maverick-- a dropout from society.  :)

Nate

Coming Soon: Full versions of three songs from the Xymati soundtrack available for dl on Bandcamp.com! Two will be free, and one will be "name your price"; they'll be available in most formats as well! Rejoice!  :dance:

-Nate

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Nate on 08/30/2010, 09:44 PMComing Soon: Full versions of three songs from the Xymati soundtrack available for dl on Bandcamp.com! Two will be free, and one will be "name your price"; they'll be available in most formats as well! Rejoice!  :dance:

-Nate
Coming soon, some coded demo-stuff maybe sometime soon ever?

Nate

QuoteComing soon, some coded demo-stuff maybe sometime soon ever?
Not my department, but I've been searching high and low for Fragmare to discuss further movement on the project; seems all we need is a coder - know any?