@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2009, 02:28 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/13/2009, 07:47 PMThere are only a couple of US developed TG-16 games, and they are shit.
Yeah, like Beyond Shadowgate, It Came From the Desert, Order of the Griffon, and Camp California:roll:
I wasn't thinking about DOS/Amiga/Mac ports. There are plenty of decent computer games from the US and Europe from back then and them being ported to a console doesn't really mean that there was a selection decent console developers in the Western world in the 80s. It just means that some of them went for the extra cash of a console port post facto. If I were thinking that way I could add Deja Vu and Day of the Tentacle to the NES side of things.

Either way, if these are the only good American games out of the 700+ games for the TG-16/PCE then it just proves my point.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Well all things considered, at the time......

I wonder how much English support was actually given to American coders.

I mean if what they had to work with is anything like what we have now, I can't say I blame em.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

shubibiman

Actually, no worry if you don't understand French as BT has brilliantly summed up the debate. So here's an update : I'm the winner. Even if Guyome did not clearly admit that HE was talking bullshit, the way he changed in his messages says it all. End of the story.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

CrackTiger

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/14/2009, 05:31 AMThere are only a couple of US developed TG-16 games, and they are shit. But now US games are much better, and innovation/charm/sales in Japan has dropped off big-time.

...I wasn't thinking about DOS/Amiga/Mac ports. There are plenty of decent computer games from the US and Europe from back then and them being ported to a console doesn't really mean that there was a selection decent console developers in the Western world in the 80s. It just means that some of them went for the extra cash of a console port post facto. If I were thinking that way I could add Deja Vu and Day of the Tentacle to the NES side of things.

Either way, if these are the only good American games out of the 700+ games for the TG-16/PCE then it just proves my point.
I agree that Japanese developers made the best games and most of the decent ones in general back then. But the TG-16 is a unique experiment that is different than the rest of the North American market at the time. There aren't 700+ TG-16 games, only PCE games. The PCE does have like 100+ (or more?) foreign created games, but that's separate issue (there was a thread on this a couple years ago).

The Turbo doesn't have a limited number of non-Japanese developed games in general or even just good ones for the same reasons as other consoles. It's because there was almost no third party support from the get go. The overall quality is also not the greatest for different reasons. Obviously budgets and resources for games on a dying platform that never took off in the first place being developed by non-major western developers aren't going to be the same as most for Genesis and SNES. Under the circumstances, I'm surprised how well most of them turned out.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Ceti Alpha

IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

_Paul

Ceti Alpha

Wow. This one is a classic "one of these things ain't like the other". Very minor differences among them. I prefer the Amiga sunflower shading, as well as the cloud-like scorebox, though I don't like how the cloud surrounds the screen on the PC version. Another difference I spot is that the PCE port seems to be missing the bush behind the jack-in-the-box. The only thing the PCE has on the Amiga and the PC ports is that the second bunch of flowers on the plateau don't seem to be wilting like on the other two versions. hehe

I give this one to the Amiga. Better shading and details.
IMG

ccovell

Arrgh, I've probably ranted about them before, but I can't stand multi-platform PC ports, because they usually build them for the lowest-common-denominator system; in many cases on the PCE, this is the Atari bloody ST, with its 16-colour screens.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/13/2009, 09:04 PMI personally, and no offense to anyone who is French, cant stand the way it sounds. 
Unacceptable. Simply unacceptable.

German and the Nordic langauages (and let's throw Dutch in there, too) -- I can see someone disliking them (personally, I like them), but French? French sounds great!

Goddamn! :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: estebanUnacceptable. Simply unacceptable.
Dude, its Arkhan. He just says shit like that. Basically in every post. He thinks China Warrior is beautiful but the French language is ugly. He's fucking nuts. Don't worry about it.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ceti alpha on 10/14/2009, 04:51 PMWow. This one is a classic "one of these things ain't like the other". Very minor differences among them. I prefer the Amiga sunflower shading, as well as the cloud-like scorebox, though I don't like how the cloud surrounds the screen on the PC version. Another difference I spot is that the PCE port seems to be missing the bush behind the jack-in-the-box. The only thing the PCE has on the Amiga and the PC ports is that the second bunch of flowers on the plateau don't seem to be wilting like on the other two versions. hehe

I give this one to the Amiga. Better shading and details.
Up to jump brings the Amiga one down into the ground hard. :)   Its the bane of platformer games.

Quote from: SignOfZetaDude, its Arkhan. He just says shit like that. Basically in every post. He thinks China Warrior is beautiful but the French language is ugly. He's fucking nuts. Don't worry about it.
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

my friend Lazare from France talks like Pepe Le Pew at school all the time just to piss me off.   Actually, that dumbass skunk might be most of my issue here...!  #-o

we all like to sit and have our politically incorrect ethnicity insult fests, followed by pizza/air hockey/stuff.

Its kind of neat to be surrounded by tons of 'off the boat' (literally) Europeans with very wacked out senses of humor.   8)   
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Turbo D

There are a lot of "fob"s here in SoCal too, just not from Europe. Fobs in SoCal = import goodness! :mrgreen:
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Slime World! Slime World! Slime World! Slime World Slime World!
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

that game has simultaneously the most badass, and corniest cover artwork ever

shubibiman

Whether we are French, Canadian or American, let's not forget one thing : OBEY TEH PCE!

_Paul

Quote from: shubibiman on 10/15/2009, 04:30 AMWhether we are French, Canadian or American, let's not forget one thing : OBEY TEH PCE!
Firstly, the French would surely say "Obey Le PC Engine"?

Also, I'm British so I should say "Jolly good show chaps, obey that PC Engine guvnor", before having a cup of tea and putting on my bowler hat.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2009, 04:45 AMAlso, I'm British so I should say "Jolly good show chaps, obey that PC Engine guvnor", before having a cup of tea and putting on my bowler hat.
And since Im American, I say "GIT R DONE!! OBEY THE PC ENGINE!" and wack down a few beers and put on my trucker cap.  Right? :D

shubibiman

No, we'd rather say "Obéissez à la PC Engine" while picking our nose and having a glass of red wine (Burgundy of course).

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/15/2009, 05:13 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/15/2009, 04:45 AMAlso, I'm British so I should say "Jolly good show chaps, obey that PC Engine guvnor", before having a cup of tea and putting on my bowler hat.
And since Im American, I say "GIT R DONE!! OBEY THE PC ENGINE!" and wack down a few beers and put on my trucker cap.  Right? :D
No, being American you'd refuse to believe that anything outside your country has any importance so you'd say "OBEY THE TURBOGRAFX-16 AND KEITH COURAGE RULEZ"  :D

Quote from: shubibiman on 10/15/2009, 05:14 AMNo, we'd rather say "Obéissez à la PC Engine" while picking our nose and having a glass of red wine (Burgundy of course).
While wearing a beret and a string of onions around your neck of course?

Are we moving into dangerous territory here?  :P

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2009, 05:28 AMNo, being American you'd refuse to believe that anything outside your country has any importance so you'd say "OBEY THE TURBOGRAFX-16 AND KEITH COURAGE RULEZ"  :D
LOL  OBEY TURBOGRAFX OR YER A TERR'IST

TurboXray

The Merovingian totally OBEYS TEH PCE. He also CODES TEH PCE. The Merovingian ftw!

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Tomftw!
Congrats on your victory!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tom on 10/15/2009, 12:04 PMThe Merovingian totally OBEYS TEH PCE. He also CODES TEH PCE. The Merovingian ftw!
what the piss is a merovingian.

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2009, 03:00 PM
Quote from: Tom on 10/15/2009, 12:04 PMThe Merovingian totally OBEYS TEH PCE. He also CODES TEH PCE. The Merovingian ftw!
You mean who. He's an exile from the original days of the system. He also harbors and employs other rouge/exiles. He's a firm believer in causality and that free will is pretty much made null be the choices of individuals made before hand. He was in possession of an exiled program known as the key master. Who later escaped, but died during the process. AFIAK, he's still employs/controls the train master though (who has access/transportation to the main server and remote locations) - as well as many other rouge and exiled programs. The Merovingian. AKA, the Frenchman.

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/15/2009, 03:00 PM
He's the boring bit in the Matrix series.

Joe Redifer

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/15/2009, 08:28 PMOh, so parts 2 and 3?
haha. You took the words right outta my mouth.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Man. here i thought i was missing out on something good!

:-D

awack

Enemy and boss sprites, the only one missing is Death.

Dracula XX, 26 enemy sprites and 9 boss sprites.
Rondo, 55 enemy sprites and 22 boss sprites.

pc engine
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG

pc engine and snes bull
                           IMG

snes
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

LOL that SNES bull looks so stupid.   Those are awful color choices

blueraven

Really no comparison. The PC Engine is a few cuts above the SNES.

awack

QuoteSlime World! Slime World! Slime World! Slime World Slime World!
Thats one game that i don't have, i should probably pick it up though.

QuoteI demand more shadow of the beast comparisons.
Here are a few.

pce                                                genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

blueraven

Wow, this is a pretty cut-and-dry case. The PCE has a better color palette and uses a whole lot more than shades of purple.

awack

Brandish.

pce                                               snes
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Ceti Alpha

The PCE stands on the edge of a cliff looking down on the tiny SNES Brandish.
IMG

Joe Redifer

The PCE sure looks better, but why is so much of the screen devoted to the GUI?  I have noticed this in many PCE games... the actual game-playing portion is just so tiny.

blueraven

Haha, yeah. The heads up display on the right hand side and textures that don't look like Windows 3.1 did it for me.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/17/2009, 09:19 PMThe PCE sure looks better, but why is so much of the screen devoted to the GUI?  I have noticed this in many PCE games... the actual game-playing portion is just so tiny.
I think that nine times out of ten it's carried over from a computer port.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

_Paul

I thought that SNES one was the Master System at first. They are very un-SNES-like colours.

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 10/18/2009, 12:05 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/17/2009, 09:19 PMThe PCE sure looks better, but why is so much of the screen devoted to the GUI?  I have noticed this in many PCE games... the actual game-playing portion is just so tiny.
I think that nine times out of ten it's carried over from a computer port.
Yup. And Brandish is originally a PC game.

Arkhan Asylum

i roflcoptered at that Brandish comparison so hard, because if you think it looks bad in screens, the actual game on a TV is worse

I actually LIKE the gui's being all in yo' face.

Vay especially.  I dont even know WHY i like guis.

Tatsujin

i think, they both don't look good enough to animate me for a play. but sure, the PCE is le winner!
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

guyjin

I like the graphics of the PCE version better, but I don't like the frame. Also, the shop in the SNES version looks nicer. (the SNES is good at that: making pretty pictures that never, ever move)

awack

Atomic Robo Kid.

PCE                                                GENESIS
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Tatsujin

as hard as it is to say, but ARK is le better on the MD :(

Joe Redifer

Yeah, the Genesis/MD one wins here, though the PCE version certainly isn't bad.  Such great artwork for such an uninteresting (to me) game.

blueraven

I like the bosses better in the PCE version, But the MD gets the rest.

Ceti Alpha

I definitely have to give it up to the Genny, here. I just like the style of the Genny more on this one. Again, it's not that the PCE is bad, by any means, but looks to be better stylized on the Genny.
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/20/2009, 12:48 AMSuch great artwork for such an uninteresting (to me) game.
why is it uninteressting to you? i always appreciated the UPL style very much. very unique and special. my fav games still is mutant nights, but which never saw a home port. UPL was a great lil' unique company.

anyway i have both ARK at home :)