PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

awack

Looking at screens of the Amiga port leads me to think that the Amiga has a larger color palette but can not put as many colors on screen at once(maybe 50 or so).... i know nothing Amiga.

PCE                                               ARCADE
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Tatsujin

as usually and beside the color palette and ratio, the PCE is very arcade faithfull.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TurboXray

Quote from: awack on 11/24/2009, 06:00 AMLooking at screens of the Amiga port leads me to think that the Amiga has a larger color palette but can not put as many colors on screen at once(maybe 50 or so).... i know nothing Amiga.
Yup. It has 4096 colors for the master palette, but normally is only 32colors onscreen for sprites and BG to share (64 colors for half bright for the BG - afaik it doesn't effect sprites and you wouldn't want it to, but it's not really that colors many because the half bright process will yield redundant colors. In other words, it doesn't create more colors through half brightness than what's already in the master palette). They use also are known to use hsync effects (copper) to change the palette for the BG on certain scanlines. It has it's limitations though. Games developed around the Amiga's limitations can look really impressive/nice. Ports sometimes suffer because they can't always take advantage of said trick with such results. If you look at Bonk on Amiga (BC Kid), the screen shots have a good color count - but that's because they are changing the very far background colors as it goes down the screen. The tiles and overall BG themselves (and along with some sprites) actually have less colors than the PCE port. And as you know, the PCE is very minimal looking. Same is true for PCE Parasol Stars port to Amiga. Lower color count, missing colors - but they don't do the vertical gradient effect (it also doesn't scroll like the PCE one between sub levels).

As a test, I color reduced and rescaled one of the arcade shots to compare it with the PCE version. They look really close, except the dev team/artist took extra time to workout the palette choices (instead of my automated conversion). Looks like they did some manual dither/touch up too on the PCE pics. They did a great job converting them over.

Left: Arcade(PCE converted).  Right: PCE
/arcadepompingworld1.png  /cdpompingworldj09112111.png

Ceti Alpha

The Amiga keeps on surprising me. First GnG and now Buster Bro. Very impressive.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

NecroPhile

The PCE version is definitely more colorful and vibrant than the SNES version, while the more muted colors of the SNES (and Arcade) make it look like it'd be easier to keep track of the action on screen.  I can't say I've ever had such a problem though.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

_Paul

Quote from: ceti alpha on 11/24/2009, 10:28 AMThe Amiga keeps on surprising me. First GnG and now Buster Bro. Very impressive.
Rod-Land is another quality Amiga conversion.

awack

Hey Tom, the conversation your having over at the sega16 forums reminded me that i should do Ys III.

Ys III.............PCE left, SNES right, Genesis bottom.

PCE                                                       SNES
IMG IMG
                                                  GENESIS
                          IMG
IMG  IMG
                         IMG 
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG 
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG 
IMG IMG
                         IMG

IMG  IMG

NO GENESIS SHOT

IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG

esteban

1: Buster Bros. -- Forget about the graphics, the control on the PCE version is very nice (compared to the arcade) and I actually like the Red Book (though many folks may not get excited about it--it is very "happy" and "jovial" instead of having a darker, layered and more nuanced soundscape).

2: Ys III --  you can't tell from the still images, but I always thought that the SNES version did the best job creating a consistent "atmosphere" for the Ys III universe. It seemed, overall, more "refined". Of course, I love the TG-CD version the most (for obvious reasons: Red Book!). The Genesis version is decent, from what I remember.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

_Paul

It's surprising how different all the map screens are.

Ceti Alpha

Unlike Esteban, I haven't played any of the Ys III ports, but the PCE wins every screenie here. The only screen comparison I can give something to the other ports is the one with the "flame-mouths"; the SNES has better flame-mouths and there's no Genny screenshot for that comparison.
IMG

Joe Redifer

The PCE Ys III looks the best... during screen captures.  The moment anything movies, however, both the Genesis and SNES surpass it substantially.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/25/2009, 06:27 PMThe PCE Ys III looks the best... during screen captures.  The moment anything movies, however, both the Genesis and SNES surpass it substantially.
Ah yes, Ys III has the choppy scrolling? Shitty.
IMG

blueraven

I'm voting PCE on Y's 3. I have it on all 3 platforms.

exodus

I actually like the detail and vibrant color of the genesis one, oddly enough.

Joe Redifer

awack, would you mind if I used your Ys 3 images for a side-by-side comparison article I plan to write about the games for Sega-16?

awack

Of course not, i don't mind at all.

Its been a while since you have done a side by side and they are always great.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/26/2009, 03:41 PMawack, would you mind if I used your Ys 3 images for a side-by-side comparison article I plan to write about the games for Sega-16?
I think Keranu did a comparison a long time ago, it would be neat to see if you come to similar conclusions.

Personally, I agree with whoever said that the "choppy parallax scrolling"  in the tg-16 version is not enough to detract from the overall awesomeness. It IS a damn shame, though.

Joe Redifer

The Genesis has the hardest version of the end boss.  And yeah, the PCE choppiness doesn't make it unplayable, just odd.  I will save a more detailed analysis for my article.

Arkhan Asylum

i kind of like the dopey scrolling of the PCE one, its hard to explain but it seems fitting?

overall i go PCE-->Gen--->MSX--->SNES

I thought the SNES one was strange.  Something always seemed off with it, I dunno why
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

The PC Engine version is a super upgraded port of the original PC-88/98 and MSX versions. Falcom later made a new heavy-dutier version for X68000, similar to the the treatment of the later version of Dragon Slayer. Just as with Dragon Slayer, the Genesis/Mega Drive version is a port of the heavy-dutier game. The SNES and Famicom ports use elements from each major version and add in some original art.

Here are some comparison shots from Ys Music Files-

PC-88/PC-98                                             MSX                                                     PCE

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

X68000                                           MEGA DRIVE                             SUPER FAMICOM

IMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

IMGIMGIMG

The Super Famicom version has drab colors for the backgrounds, but nice vibrant colors for the sprites.

The Famicom version holds up very well against the others, plays better than most and probably has the best system generated music of the console versions.

IMGIMGIMG
IMGIMGIMG
IMGIMGIMG
IMGIMG

PC ENGINE                                          X68000                                             MEGA DRIVE

IMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

FAMICOM                                    SUPER FAMICOM

PC-88                     PC-98                     MSX                   X68000                                  MEGA DRIVE

IMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

PC-88                                                                   PC-98                                                              MSX                   

IMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

X68000                                                   MEGA DRIVE

The Playstation 2 version has some very nice elements, but at the same time is full of lame elements and features zero scrolling! Not flat horizontally scrolling bgs as in no parallax, but single screens that you walk across like an old MSX game. :P

Considering how vibrant detailed and shaded the PC Engine background graphics are, it's amazing that they still managed to use animated parallax scrolling.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

Arkhan Asylum

Theres the glorious MSX version.  I like the tunes in that version quite a bit.

all of the computer-versions were very nice and played good
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Ceti Alpha

The X68000 belonged in the arcades.
IMG

shubibiman

The awesomeness of this comparison is just awesome !!!
I'm very astonished by the FC version which is not bad at all. and when I see the PC-88, PC-98 and MSX versions, I just wish I had more room and more money to get some of this stuff.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Arkhan Asylum

yeah the NES one is definitely impressive.  Might be the best looking game on the system really.

_Paul

Yeah I was really surprised by those famicom shots, that's classy.

awack

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

PCE                                                      SNES
IMG IMG
                                                  GENESIS
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG
IMG IMG
                         IMG

blueraven

I was impressed by the X-68000 great detail, color depth, and wonderful shading.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: blueraven on 11/27/2009, 04:45 PMI was impressed by the X-68000 great detail, color depth, and wonderful shading.
Yeah, I'd love to eventually get myself one of those puppies.
IMG

esteban

I love seeing all of these Ys III screenshot comparisons-->it certainly gives me a greater appreciation for all the nuanced differences between the versions. There is no clear-cut winner, in my eyes. Every platform has something nice to offer (especially when sound effects, music and control are taken into account).

I have never played the Famicom version of Ys III. I'm glad that it plays well, because I have played other Ys games on Famicom and they did not get me particularly excited (granted, I'm partial to the TG-CD versions).

Considering the time Ys III was released for Famicom, I would have expected some more polish (visually).

I love the tunes from the Famicom Ys III version, though.

TR0N

Hmm interesting look for the different version of Ys III.Even the famicom version doesn't look that bad for a game on the 8-bit console.

Btw has any body did one yet for prince of persia going from sega-cd,snes to pce ?
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

awack

I got these from Hardcore Gaming 101, not a big fan of Prince of Persia myself.

Genesis                                                       SNES
IMG IMG

PCE                                                         SEGACD
IMG IMG

SMS                                              NES
IMG IMG

guyjin

Quote from: awack on 12/03/2009, 09:03 AMGenesis                                                       
IMG
SEGACD
IMG
why the hell does the SegaCD version look worse than the cart version?!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guyjin on 12/03/2009, 09:19 AMwhy the hell does the SegaCD version look worse than the cart version?!
Good question. The Genesis cart is the obvious winner here, at least in terms of graphics, so what's with the SegaCD port?
IMG

NecroPhile

The Genny definitely wins this round with its bright colors and details, but is it animated as well as the Turbo version?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

exodus

Quote from: guyjin on 12/03/2009, 09:19 AMwhy the hell does the SegaCD version look worse than the cart version?!
yeah, I was just gonna mention that myself. makes no sense!

blueraven

The Sega CD version of Ninja Warriors is FAIL huey ver. is teh best :)

CrackTiger

The Sega-CD PoP isn't a sloppy Genesis rehash with CD music added, it's an original sloppy version made by Japanese. The Genesis version came later after the game had begun to receive visual overhauls and it looks like it was made in the good ole US of A.

/popgen1.gif

Quote from: blueraven on 12/03/2009, 04:07 PMThe Sega CD version of Ninja Warriors is FAIL huey ver. is teh best :)
You accidentally used a :) instead of a :wink:.

/nwarc1.png
/nwmcd1.png
/nwpce1.png
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Wow, even the arcade Ninja Warriors looks unacceptable!

But that one in the lower right corner.  WTF???

nat

Ninja Warriors on the Duo is a such a joke. Such a bad, bad joke.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

Quote from: nat on 12/03/2009, 08:21 PMNinja Warriors on the Duo is a such a joke. Such a bad, bad joke.
It's not that bad, considering it is a .25 megabit2 HuCard. No?

Quote from: guest on 12/03/2009, 06:54 PM/popgen2.gif
Upon seeing this intense scene, did anyone else here immediately think Flash Gordon meets Bloodsucking Freaks?

TheClash603

Bloodsucking Freaks ehhh?  Makes me want to know...

"Now will you dance?"

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 12/03/2009, 06:54 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 12/03/2009, 04:07 PMThe Sega CD version of Ninja Warriors is FAIL huey ver. is teh best :)
You accidentally used a :) instead of a :wink:.
Oops, :) thanks for catching that one.

Quote from: guest on 12/03/2009, 06:54 PM/nwarc1.png
/nwmcd1.png
/nwpce1.png
Well, uh... a, yeah. Thanks for the photos... *cough* :mrgreen:

The images don't lie! lol.  :roll:

Tatsujin

i have the MEGA-CD version, and beside of some grafx update it doesn't really feel any better than the PCE version to play. correction: it feels even badder to play.

the arcade was cool because its double-screen feature. taito liked to make this in that time. see also darius II.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 12/03/2009, 06:54 PM/popgen2.gif
whys she look like michael jackson.

!!!!

Prince of Persia = POP

O_O

ParanoiaDragon

I don't recall if Dynastic Hero & Wonderboy 5 were compared.  Ofcoarse, there's no paralax in Dynastic, even though, the game itself is always either horozontal or vertical in it's levels, & I think could of easily faked paralax with sprites.  Also, another game on both Turbo & Genny is Alshark, as well as the first Burai.  And I think there is a Tenshi no Uta for SNES that might be the same game as the Turbo version?  Could also compare the Tengai Makyou's on Turbo & SNES.
IMG

Tatsujin

wasn't there a comp. for wonderboy 5 on page xyz? lol.. that thread became way to big already :lol:

anyway, Dynastic hero rulez so much more, alone due to the fact that its BGM is far superior to its MD counterpart. and made by no other well known studio SYN Sound (gate of thunder).

Joe Redifer

I checked page xyz like Tats suggested.  I couldn't find the page, actually.  We use numbered pages here.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: ParanoiaDragonCould also compare the Tengai Makyou's on Turbo & SNES.
Tengai Makyou Zero (SFC) is its own game. I don't know if it even has any of the same characters.
IMG