@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDeadite

It's not the slowdown that hurts SGnG, it's the slow pace period.  There were some good ideas, just dragged out way too much.  Like the raft ride was a neat idea, but dragging it out for 3 solid minutes was just not needed.  It's kinda pathetic really that the original 1985 arcade game, and even the 86 glitchy as hell NES port moves at about 2x-3x faster then SGnG.  And there's the awful animation too.  The snow level Ice Demon boss thing has zero animation at all.  The sprite just floats around the screen, again the NES had better animation...
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

geise

Well I don't fell the SNES/SFC Super GnG is a bad game based off of it being slower.  I do like the boss designs better in Ghouls n Ghosts.  Most SNES games were always a bit slower than other systems for some reason.  I understand what you're getting at.  I just don't think that the SNES one is a bad game.  I liked it and I like Ghost n Goblins and Ghouls N Ghosts.  I just think it's a bad comparison since it's 2 different games.  It's been a while since I've been through this thread.  Was there a comparison of the Genesis/MD version of GnG and the SGFX version?  That makes more sense since they are the same game.  Of course the SGFX one would win for me, but I like the x68000 version as my personal home favorite.

awack

I dug up a dead horse up and raped it.

The SCIV and Bloodline rips were put together from various other rips on the net.

One thing i noticed after playing Rondo and then going straight to Draxx, is that Dracxx feels likes its in slow motion,especially the boss fights, i mean sloooow.

Ive checked out other snes, gen and pce games of this type incuding Contra, the batman games, Shinobi etc, nothing really compares.

Death Rondo
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
                 Death SCIV                                                                    Death Bloodlines
IMG                  IMG         

Rondo
IMG
Dracula xx                                                                                    Bloodlines
IMG       IMG

Rondo
IMG
Dracula xx
IMG

Rondo
IMG
Bloodlines                                                         SCIV
IMG IMG

Rondo
IMG
SCIV
IMG

Rondo
IMG
SCIV
IMG

Rondo
IMG
Bloodlines
IMG

Rondo
IMG
SCIV                                                  Bloodlines
IMG                       IMG

Rondo                                     Dracxx     
IMG   IMG
SCIV                                         Bloodlines
IMG  IMG

Rondo                                      Dracxx, forgot to add the 2 bones.
IMG  IMG
SCIV
IMG

Rondo                                                     Dracxx
IMG  IMG

Rondo
IMG
Dracxx
IMG

Rondo
IMG
SCIV
IMG

:shock: Rondo                                            dracxx
IMG  IMG

Ceti Alpha

Woohoo! I knew something was missing from the forums - an awack update. :)

Some of those comparisons are beyond pitiful. lol Where to begin?
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Joe Redifer

Man, that makes me want to throw away PCE Dracula X.  So pitiful!  ;)

Tatsujin

Yeah, Drac X uberstinkt. Too much animations, frames, tricks, efforts to no avail.

NOT!

GREAT WORK AWACK =D> =D> =D>
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Ceti Alpha

IMG

awack

Ha ha, definitely throw it away, you have had it since 93/94, thats long enough.

Macross 2036/sv....some of the best sprite work in any 16bit shooter.

PCE  character ship                                         
IMG
SNEScharacter ship
IMG

These are not all the enemies, the snes game has a larger variety of enemy sprites.

SNES  enemies                                              PCE enemies
IMG

PCE bosses
IMG
SNES bosses
IMG

Strider, i was going to do a few bosses from this game but saw this witch was the opposite OF what i was expecting.

PCE
IMG
GENESIS
IMG

Ceti Alpha

QuoteStrider, i was going to do a few bosses from this game but saw this witch was the opposite OF what i was expecting.

PCE

GENESIS
hehe. Were you expecting more animation from the Genesis?
IMG

awack

Yep, i wanted to show some Genesis love, the reason i never noticed while playing this game before is because this boss is killed so quickly.

Now we know where all the extra memory of the ACD went :D

Joe Redifer

The Genesis has only 8 MEGA POWER.  The PCE ACD version is, what, around 9 MEGA?  8.5 MEGA?  Yeah it will have a couple more frames and AWESOME color!

awack

True, its just that when playing each port, the Genesis game feels more polished, to the point where almost everything seems better, including animation...of course it could just be that my super powers of observation suck.

Ceti Alpha

I also would have expected better animations on the Genny Strider, only because of what I hear about the PCE Arcade Card port.
IMG

blueraven

Ceti Alpha

The art in the Macross games is fantastic. Even in the SNES port.
IMG

_Paul

Quote from: ceti alpha on 06/28/2010, 10:32 AMThe art in the Macross games is fantastic. Even in the SNES port.
Yeah, the SNES bosses look amazingly well drawn.

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 06/28/2010, 12:46 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 06/28/2010, 10:32 AMThe art in the Macross games is fantastic. Even in the SNES port.
Yeah, the SNES bosses look amazingly well drawn.
As well it is one of the best shooties on the system, audio as visual wise.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

The sprites and bosses of the Macross games is one of the reverse instances where the SNES has rich vibrant color and the PC Engine has subdued more realistic tones. It looks like the PCE sprites were made from photos of models, just like Vasteel's appear to be.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

I don't see the point in comparing the two Macross games. They are completely different games by different companies.

Both of these games are really really good. The SFC game is the most beautiful shooter on the system, and one of the nicest looking shooters ever, IMO. It totally kicks the usual trend of most SNES/SC shooters being loaded with slowdown and having few enemies on screen.

As for the the bosses: the PCE actually has real Macross stuff in it, whereas the SFC bosses are all made up just for the game (except for that green ship). The red spinny top thing actually looks a lot like the Rafflesia mobile armor from Gundam F91.
IMG

awack

QuoteThe sprites and bosses of the Macross games is one of the reverse instances where the SNES has rich vibrant color and the PC Engine has subdued more realistic tones
Yea, the pce enemy sprites have better gradation, the subtle color shifting from one hue to the next is great, the Backgrounds are the opposite, Macross sv having more subdued, more realistic tones and Macross 2036 using more anime like colors.

QuoteAs well it is one of the best shooties on the system, audio as visual wise.
QuoteBoth of these games are really really good. The SFC game is the most beautiful shooter on the system, and one of the nicest looking shooters ever, IMO. It totally kicks the usual trend of most SNES/SC shooters being loaded with slowdown and having few enemies on screen.
I definitely think its the best looking shooter on the snes/sfc, infact i can only think of one shooter on the these three systems that i think looks better and thats WOT, I'm talking about design and variety and not sfx. Both games utilize the strength of each system very well, sv putting rotation, scaling and transparencies to good effect and WOT using the memory of the supercd to its fullest.

Most people think that these are two of the best Macross games, with Macross sv being the the better of the two,i cant disagree but yea, the one weak point in sv is that some of the Bosses are a bit generic.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/27/2010, 12:27 PMThe Genesis has only 8 MEGA POWER.  The PCE ACD version is, what, around 9 MEGA?  8.5 MEGA?  Yeah it will have a couple more frames and AWESOME color!
the PCE one looks like he fell into a bottle of Insta-Bronze tanning cream lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

shubibiman

Quote from: guest on 04/08/2009, 09:05 PM
Quote from: Keranu on 04/08/2009, 04:31 PMWow, I always remember the TG16 Aero Blasters looking a little better than the Genesis, but these screenshots are making me think the opposite.
Tom, those Forgotten World screenshots are very interesting. I think the converted PCE pal screenshot has nicer shading than the arcade!
A while back when Tatsujin started a thread about SFII port resolutions, I made some regular sized Forgotten Worlds screen shots, including the arcade colored with PCE palette colors.

The left image is the regular arcade, the right is the arcade in PCE color-

/fwarc.bmp /fwarcpce.bmp

The PCE pallete sure loves CPS games. :D Too bad more developers didn't take advantage. I think that most of the sprites in the game were transferred pixel for pixel, making them even bigger on screen than in the arcade. If having CPS arcade sized sprites against backgrounds like these means a little flicker, I'll gladly take it over an average 16-bit console port.

The game still runs at a higher resolution than the regular resolution of every Genesis and SNES game while maintaining a high level of shading and detail. This combo is a real strength that the PCE has over the other consoles and should have happened in more games, especially non-sprite intensive stuff like RPGs. It still wouldn't have taken much to add some layered scrolling in places, but it always seems that every PCE developer only knew how to do some things, but none knew how to do them all. But with sampled sfx and CD music, layered bgs really are the only element missing aesthetically.

Here is the regular arcade and PCE screens lined up-

/fwcompgif3.gif

I like the changes they made with the coloring, but like the blue highlights on the bg should have been kept.

The Genesis version still has nice graphics and was very impressive and really fun when it came out. It was one of my favorite early Genesis games.
I want those screenshots back! Please ;(

/gng.gif
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

NecroPhile

Quote from: shubibiman on 02/24/2011, 04:04 PMI want those screenshots back! Please, BT ;(
Sheesh, your quoting is a train wreck.  :P

And with a wave of my magic wand....

QuoteThe left image is the regular arcade, the right is the arcade in PCE color-
IMG IMG

Here is the regular arcade and PCE screens lined up-
IMG
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

shubibiman

saturndual32

Some suggestions for more pics: Gulliver Boy and Ys IV. I love this tread! Thanks guys!

NecroPhile

Another suggestion: Dungeon Master.

awack

QuoteSome suggestions for more pics: Gulliver Boy and Ys IV
I always wanted to do Ys IV, but don't have the time right now...there really is no comparison though, just youtube boss fights for each and you will see that the 16 Mb snes cartridge, just wasn't enough to keep up with the super CD.

Mathius

I have been thoroughly enjoying re-reading this! I thought I would necro-bump this just so others can enjoy this wonderful thread. It's pure internet gold! :D

roflmao

Well now I know what I'll be doing tonight instead of sleeping.  89 pages?!  Yeesh...

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 04/14/2012, 11:23 PMWell now I know what I'll be doing tonight instead of sleeping.  89 pages?!  Yeesh...
It's 89 pages actually worth reading. :)

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 04/14/2012, 10:10 PMI have been thoroughly enjoying re-reading this! I thought I would necro-bump this just so others can enjoy this wonderful thread. It's pure internet gold! :D
Good idea. A lot of the new folks don't know about this :pcgs:.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

_Paul

Needs Sticky.

In fact, threads this epic all need their own forum to be stickied on.

shubibiman

And all the pictures should be on page 1

Joe Redifer

Actually, a website of its own would be good.

Tatsujin

Mathius

Both Sunteam's and Joe Red's suggestions would make my day. Sticky and some fresh HTML please. :)

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/15/2012, 10:19 PMActually, a website of its own would be good.
You're right. Trying to find stuff in this thread is a challenge.

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/15/2012, 10:42 PMHow's gonna do it? :)
If folks will start creating a "Table of Contents" (direct links to each game, which should be included in the original post, too, to aid with navigation), I will start creating pages. :pcgs:

--> Consolidated Screenshots (page 73)

UPDATE:

--> Screenshot Comparisons @ tg-16.com
--> Note: the games listed as "Soon" are not available yet. Clicking on "Soon" links you to awack's post in this thread.

--> NEED: I need basic information on the games (title, media, year of release) and a link to awack's first post featuring said game.

--> ALSO: It probably isn't a good idea to stick all 9,000 screenshots on one page... so maybe splitting the games up by genre would be a good idea? We'll keep the alphabetical listing of all games (table of contents), but also allow folks to "browse by genre"...

SignOfZeta

Please forgive my ignorance, but what games is this?

IMG
IMG

futureman2000

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/16/2012, 12:42 PMPlease forgive my ignorance, but what games is this?
IMG
chiki chiki boys

Mathius

Quote from: futureman2000 on 04/16/2012, 12:52 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/16/2012, 12:42 PMPlease forgive my ignorance, but what games is this?
IMG
chiki chiki boys
It's not a bad little game. You can play the arcade version on Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 for the PS2.

Mathius

Just read the whole thing. Whatever happened to this "Tom" guy?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Mathius on 04/16/2012, 11:50 PMJust read the whole thing. Whatever happened to this "Tom" guy?
He goes by Bonknuts nowadays.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2012, 09:32 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 04/16/2012, 11:50 PMJust read the whole thing. Whatever happened to this "Tom" guy?
He goes by Bonknuts nowadays.
Ah okay.

Tatsujin

Sooo great Esty. Now we can proof the trollz'n'boyz with one simple link who's the boss in 16-bit age :D

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/17/2012, 12:51 PMSooo great Esty. Now we can proof the trollz'n'boyz with one simple link who's the boss in 16-bit age :D
Hell yeah. Although, I did put a disclaimer on the page (Don't judge a game by its screenshot").

Hahjajajjajjajajja. I gotta add that to the page now.

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 04/17/2012, 05:17 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/17/2012, 12:51 PMSooo great Esty. Now we can proof the trollz'n'boyz with one simple link who's the boss in 16-bit age :D
Hell yeah. Although, I did put a disclaimer on the page (Don't judge a game by its screenshot").

Hahjajajjajjajajja. I gotta add that to the page now.
That is awesome that you did this, Estaban! :D

Mathius

Estaban, is there a link for this on your main page? I am not seeing one. :-k

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 04/18/2012, 11:11 PMEstaban, is there a link for this on your main page? I am not seeing one. :-k
No, I didn't put up a link yet. I suppose I should. I was going to wait until I had a lot more titles available. :pcgs:

Actually, I'm working on adding more games right now...

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 04/18/2012, 11:31 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 04/18/2012, 11:11 PMEstaban, is there a link for this on your main page? I am not seeing one. :-k
No, I didn't put up a link yet. I suppose I should. I was going to wait until I had a lot more titles available. :pcgs:

That's cool. Take your time.

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 04/18/2012, 11:42 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/18/2012, 11:31 PM

That's cool. Take your time.
I want to get this done, because I have all this other wacky stuff I've been working on (but never get to complete... for example, check this out... haahahahhahahaha, nope, I can't share it with you yet! IMG).