@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opethian

IMG

Nando

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/10/2012, 08:11 PMLazerz GET

Never again will I find myself without lasers to repair CDROM2 units...
Score!

roflmao

Wow Beamer!  That's impressive.

Joe Redifer

Holy crap.  Now I can't wait until my CD unit breaks down!

Tatsujin

HAULY MANGAULY BENBY  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

=D> =D> =D>

that should do it, for lets say the upcomming 283 years..lol.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

JapanTokei

Master of Magic!  that was a great game!  I played the heck out of it and recall having this guy that can just cast lighting or something with amazing reach, and once i powered that dude up I was indestructable pretty much...  i think Heros of MoM really borrowed from that game as well.

great memories..  I played the shit out of Heroes of MoM 1 to 4 as well.  chain lightning & dimension door anyone?  :dance: 

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/10/2012, 12:19 AMI hooked it up to my old DOS computer and have been discovering all sorts of great new soundtracks for all my old favorite games...

Hyperspeed, Civilization, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Colonization, Castle of Dr Brain, Dune 2, all of them have either MT-32 or sound canvas modes that can utilize this module!  Some sound comparable to the internal SB16/Adlib, but some sound amazing!

IMG

JapanTokei

Beamer - so those thing are the drives or just the lasers?  the gears that fall apart inside our drives need those prob more than the lasers!!

if those are all the drives.. then man, you got a supplybase that has the entire forum drooling!!  you can even save the perfect minty drive I sold NecroPhile that is missing the gears!

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/10/2012, 09:46 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 05/10/2012, 09:38 PMHow many LaserActives are hidden behind those boxes?
Just one :wink:  The stack of 6 is in the closet lol.

Tatsujin

must be the whole laser pickup.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

BlueBMW

These are just the laser pickups.  Chop5 and kieth courage have gear replacements available.

I still play too much HoMM 1,2,3 and a little bit of 5.  Chain Lightning is good but Blind is probably my favorite.  The music in HoMM2 is one of my most favorite game soundtracks of all time...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Tatsujin

just a lil 70cl bottle of this :)

/dsc1003vh.jpg

roflmao

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/12/2012, 01:36 AMjust a lil 70cl bottle of this :)
:shock:  Wow, that looks like really good scotch.  Thankfully (to me) I've never been a big fan of scotch.   :P

roflmao

Here's what I've picked up over the past few weeks...

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

That last SNES cart is Ys III.  It's too bad the label is ripped (I wonder if I can print out a new one...) but it was dirt cheap and the game plays fine, which is all that really matters to me. :)

futureman2000

munchiaz

heres what i picked up today. i got the hagane for $80. which i feel is a good price for the game.

IMG
IMG
IMG

this needs some love, but it will be clean. what do you guys recommend i use ?

IMG

Also the hagane came with the box. well whats left of it
IMG

Samurai Ghost

I usually use 409 and a toothbrush to clean a lot of my dirty systems, although more gentle cleaners are better if you can find them.

Also rotflmao what do you think of the genesis version of Twin Cobra? Love the TG16 version and am tempted to pick it up but have heard mixed reviews...

Tatsujin

Pce kyuukyoku tigler wins househigh.

roflmao

PCE Kyukuoku wins.  No competition.  The NES version of Twin Cobra is surprisingly good.  I haven't played the Genesis version much, but I just don't care for it.  The graphics seem kind of stretched horizontally, and it feels a LOT harder (even on the easy level settings).  I know Classic Game Room did a Youtube review of the Genesis version where it was overall praised, but I'll stick with the PCE version.   :)

This game is pretty hard on all consoles.  I think on the PCE version I've only been able to make it 5 or 6 levels in, and that's on a good day.  The first level is really hard and took me awhile to beat.  Then it's a bit easier, because you've got a nicely powered up weapon.  But there's still a fair amount of level memorization.  Lots of enemies not only shoot at you, but also will fly right into you.  And you have to be patient when selecting the powerups since they have an erratic motion around the screen.  It's challenging, but once you learn how to play it never feels too cheap.

For cleaning games, I usually use vinegar for the contacts.  I know it's frowned upon, but it works so much better than rubbing alcohol, in my experience.  Rubbing Alcohol and/or GooGone for the cases.  The PS1 Nectaris I just picked up has permanent marker scribbled on the disc. :(  I'm not too sure if I should even attempt cleaning that off.

Samurai Ghost

Permanent marker shouldnt be too hard to take off, and the disc should work fine as long as it isn't badly scratched. Who writes on discs with marker though?

And yeah, the PCE Version of Kyukuoku Tiger is one of my favorite PCE games of the whole library, which is why I'm interested in trying the other versions, but I might now bother unless I find a really good deal on a copy.

roflmao

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 05/13/2012, 03:43 PMPermanent marker shouldnt be too hard to take off, and the disc should work fine as long as it isn't badly scratched. Who writes on discs with marker though?
No kidding.... That's just silly.

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 05/13/2012, 03:43 PMAnd yeah, the PCE Version of Kyukuoku Tiger is one of my favorite PCE games of the whole library, which is why I'm interested in trying the other versions, but I might now bother unless I find a really good deal on a copy.
That's what happened to me.  They were each less than $5 shipped which was enough for me to try out.  I wouldn't bother with the Genesis one, but I do dig the NES one.  For every PCE/TG16 game I've tried that has an NES port, I've liked the PCE/TG16 port better.  I do really enjoy Stinger for the NES.  Maybe more than Detana Twinbee, though they aren't the same game. (Stinger alternates between horizontal and vertical)

Mathius

PCE Kyukuokukoukokouko Tiger wins just for the musics. :)

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Mathius on 05/13/2012, 04:20 PMPCE Kyukuokukoukokouko Tiger wins just for the musics. :)
Agreed. I can recall and hum its soundtrack anytime. So great!!

SuperDeadite

Kyukyoku Tiger is wonderful on both X68000 and FM Towns as well.  The FM Towns port has arranged redbook cd audio as well. 
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Nando

IMG

This was such an awesome game. Didn't care much for the sequel.

roflmao

Quote from: Nando on 05/14/2012, 09:22 AMThis was such an awesome game. Didn't care much for the sequel.
Lol.  I worked as a game tester for Sony on Rise of the Kasai. :)  But I left the company before it was completed, so I don't know if my name is in the credits.  Even back then the first was widely regarded as the better game.  I saw this one complete at a local used stuff store for $1.50 and figured I'd finally check it out.  I'm only a few levels in and it's pretty fun so far.  I haven't played it much as I don't want it on while my 4 year old is around (it's pretty violent!).

Mishran

/imageblb.jpg

Original "Altered Beast" Genny. Going to look into getting it modded.

Samurai Ghost

Nice! What kind of mods are thinking of doing?

Mishran

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 05/14/2012, 01:29 PMNice! What kind of mods are thinking of doing?
Composite, s-video, US/JP, 60/50, and cart slot widening to accept MD games. First I have to find the damn parts to do them. Anyone have any recommendations of a good place to purchase components? I never attempted these before and figured this little Genny will be a good guinea pig. :twisted:

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Mishran on 05/14/2012, 06:17 PM
Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 05/14/2012, 01:29 PMNice! What kind of mods are thinking of doing?
Composite, s-video, US/JP, 60/50, and cart slot widening to accept MD games. First I have to find the damn parts to do them. Anyone have any recommendations of a good place to purchase components? I never attempted these before and figured this little Genny will be a good guinea pig. :twisted:
Well FYI the Genesis 1 has native RGB Scart out, so you can't really beat that unless you don't have the connections for one on your TV. All you need is the cable. A US/JP mod would be handy though. The MegaKey can be a pain at times if you don't have a JP system.

Speaking of the Genesis, these just arrived 5 minutes ago. Star Control is one of my all time Genny faves and I was happy to find a boxed copy in good shape. And I know Technocop is a pretty terrible game, I'm just a sucker for ultraviolence.

IMG

BlueBMW

Heck yeah Star Control!   While Star Control 2 is fantastic, SC1 is also great fun.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

TheClash603

I love Technocop!  Busted!

The slime jelly shit you can shoot guys with is awesome!  One of my favorite Genesis games.

Nando

TARGET EARTH! one of my favorite games on the system. Could never beat it without the cheat though, fucking insanely hard game.

jeffhlewis

Picking up classics; too lazy to take pics. Just got these, all US, all completes:

1.) Space Harrier II
2.) Phantasy Star II w/ map
3.) Sword of Vermillion w/ hint book
4.) Super Hang-On
5.) Shadow Blasters
6.) John Madden Football (the O.G. version)

Also just found out my in-box Twin Fami has a bad belt, so I ordered a replacement. Sounds like a relatively easy fix. Anybody else here done one?

Frank_fjs

I've replaced a FDS belt, I wouldn't call it an easy process. Rather time consuming and a pain in the arse if you need to tune the head.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: Frank_fjs on 05/15/2012, 10:18 AMI've replaced a FDS belt, I wouldn't call it an easy process. Rather time consuming and a pain in the arse if you need to tune the head.
Yeah i checked out a few posts about altering the drive speed - any good tutorials or tips you can share?

Mathius

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/15/2012, 10:29 AM
Quote from: Frank_fjs on 05/15/2012, 10:18 AMI've replaced a FDS belt, I wouldn't call it an easy process. Rather time consuming and a pain in the arse if you need to tune the head.
Yeah i checked out a few posts about altering the drive speed - any good tutorials or tips you can share?
Opethian here on the boards knows a thing or two about these kinds of repairs.

Opethian

its a bitch and a half to change those belts but it is possible.
IMG

Frank_fjs

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/15/2012, 10:29 AMYeah i checked out a few posts about altering the drive speed - any good tutorials or tips you can share?
See here: http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/tutorials/fds-repair-mod/belt-replacement-adjustment/

Once you have the new belt fitted, clean the head with some isopropyl and a cotton tip and test (using a new disk if possible). Hopefully you have some signs of life, if not what to do next mainly depends on the error code. The spindle could be out of alignment, the head may be out of position, the head may be dirty, the drive speed may be wrong, etc.

Lilgrafx

I've bought Patapon and Half Minute Hero for $5 a piece. I love how dirt cheap PSP games are now.

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 05/15/2012, 10:45 PMI've bought Patapon and Half Minute Hero for $5 a piece. I love how dirt cheap PSP games are now.
Both fun games too!

SuperDeadite

MID-GARTS GOLD.  So much awesome crap with this game.  :)  Then manual is 95 pages and full of tons of crap.  Even stats for all characters (STR, DEX, INT, etc) like a D&D book, and the game is just a standard horizontal shooter lol.

IMG
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

turbokon

Picked up a few genny games from a local pawn shop, Hellfire, galaxy force II and can't the name of the third one.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

jeffhlewis

This is absolutely killing me - there is a Segata Sanshiro action figure and VHS on eBay right now but the total cost with shipping is bordering on ludicrous:

Figure: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140750000160?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
VHS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140750001740?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Kotaku featured the action figure in a blog post and overnight the bids quadrupled...I'm willing to pay the asking price for both of these items but shipping to the U.S. is 36 Euros...ouch.

Also, the world's ugliest Virtua Fighter Jacket from the same seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140750004264?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Bernie

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/16/2012, 11:40 AMThis is absolutely killing me - there is a Segata Sanshiro action figure and VHS on eBay right now but the total cost with shipping is bordering on ludicrous:

Figure: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140750000160?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
VHS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140750001740?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Kotaku featured the action figure in a blog post and overnight the bids quadrupled...I'm willing to pay the asking price for both of these items but shipping to the U.S. is 36 Euros...ouch.

Also, the world's ugliest Virtua Fighter Jacket from the same seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140750004264?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Did you mean to post this in the F*&K Ebay thread?

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Sparky

Nice pick up Nec of "Parker Lewis Can't Loose " I have not seen that for a very long time but I remember laughing hard at it :)

Nando

Is the Mummy in that Abbot and Costello collection?

futureman2000

I used to have an autographed picture of the guy with the trenchcoat. I wonder where that went...

Lilgrafx

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 05/16/2012, 04:21 AM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 05/15/2012, 10:45 PMI've bought Patapon and Half Minute Hero for $5 a piece. I love how dirt cheap PSP games are now.
Both fun games too!
For sure, very original games.

Samurai Ghost

Some Master System games came in today

IMG

liquitek

+1 for the Parker Lewis Can't Lose pickup.  Thinking I might have to make that purchase too  :)