10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpivette

Been on a NES/SNES kick lately... here are my latest purchases

IMG

and since some of you are posting non-gaming splurges as well, heres my latest...

IMG
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

NecroPhile

Quote from: tpivette on 07/13/2012, 02:59 PMand since some of you are posting non-gaming splurges as well, heres my latest...
Heh, nice.  It's V8-bit gaming!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: tpivette on 07/13/2012, 02:59 PMand since some of you are posting non-gaming splurges as well, heres my latest...

IMG
All that power under the hood might be too much for you to handle until you master parking straight within the lines. :P

tpivette

Haha... I literally JUST drove it off the dealers lot after purchasing and was nervous about getting a door ding on the first day of ownership when I took that photo. Now I just park it far away from the other cars in the lot... and within the lines O:)

And it only has 345hp/350tq (its stock), I've owned much more powerful cars that this one!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

BlueBMW

Just got back from VGS in Chicago.  Picked up some small stuff.... and some big stuff...  I thought the original idea of the trip was to come back with LESS stuff than I left with... ha! fat chance.  Then I came home to a couple of slow boat boxes of 68000 stuff from japan... yay!

Virtual boy in blockbuster case, with all the pieces and parts + ac adapter thingy + 7 games?   $130

/virtualboy.jpg

Atari 800XL computer + Printer + tape drive lol  $70

/atari.jpg

And when I came home, three more x68000s from Japan.  One parts Expert, One Pro, One franken XVI unit lol.  Its an XVI for sure, but the right tower has the wrong shell on it and its missing the LED board.

/Moar68k.jpg

And lastly, my Roland CM-64 MIDI module finally made it in!  And there was a nice surprise inside the x68000 Pro unit... an XSIMM10 memory expansion board!  Lucky find for sure!

/CM64.jpg
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

jeffhlewis

Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/15/2012, 09:42 PMAnd there was a nice surprise inside the x68000 Pro unit... an XSIMM10 memory expansion board!  Lucky find for sure!
Does this mean you can get me to 4MB of RAM in my x68k? if so check's in the mail

bartre

i gotta ask, where do you keep getting this x68k stuff from?
and how expensive is it? i loved playing it at MGC this last year.

munchiaz

BlueBMW

Quote from: bartre on 07/15/2012, 10:23 PMi gotta ask, where do you keep getting this x68k stuff from?
and how expensive is it? i loved playing it at MGC this last year.
I buy it broken off of Yahoo Japan and have it slow boated here.   Each system is like a lottery ticket... you never know what you'll find inside... you might get a dead beyond repair system, or you might find nice valuable goodies inside like ram boards and hard drives.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Mathius

Nice Beamer!

I don't have my camera but I did come home with some goodies!

I scored a loose US Soldier Blade and a complete Sinistron. (Anyone have a Soldier Blade manual?)
Loose copy of Golden Axe Warrior and a few other free SMS games (Thanks Jeff!)
Tomba, Wipeout3, and two Crash Bandicoot games (PS1)
Bonk's Adventure (GB) and Capcom Mini Collection (GBA)
Panzer Dragoon (Sat)
Dragon's Lair (3DO)
A box of vintage Nintendo trading cards thanks to rolfmao

....and, thanks to BlueBMW, a first generation Sharp X68000 w/ a complete copy of Phalanx and a stack of copied games which include Gradius II and Cotton among others. Thanks Beamer! :D

PikachuWarrior

R-Type Final is a cheapy game at my local game store. Always pass it up but it keeps looking at me on the shelves lol.
IMG

fenix

Picked up these at an Estate Sale today for a whole $20!. The Herzog Zwei and Phantasy Stars 1&2 along with being complete, were in perfect condition. I LOVE ESTATE SALES!

IMG

Sparky

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 07/13/2012, 08:27 PM

IMG
All that power under the hood might be too much for you to handle until you master parking straight within the lines. :P
Hahaha
I hope to own a corvette myself one day.. Something from the 80s with a California scoop

JapanTokei

just returned from my weeklong wedding/family trip from Japan.  pretty fruitful pickups in between the busy itinerary. 

IMG
IMG

some of these are duplicates, so after some organization, I will probably be putting them up for grabs to the fellow members.

JapanTokei

Fenix - that is one sweet arrrse deal!!  you even got the hint book for the phantasy star 2 !!

Quote from: fenix on 07/15/2012, 11:30 PMPicked up these at an Estate Sale today for a whole $20!. The Herzog Zwei and Phantasy Stars 1&2 along with being complete, were in perfect condition. I LOVE ESTATE SALES!

IMG

Nando

Quote from: JapanTokei on 07/16/2012, 09:44 AMjust returned from my weeklong wedding/family trip from Japan.  pretty fruitful pickups in between the busy itinerary. 

some of these are duplicates, so after some organization, I will probably be putting them up for grabs to the fellow members. 
HOLY CRAP! Nice haul!

Can't wait to see what you end up putting up. Fruitful indeed.

BlueBMW

Nexzr summer carnival, nice!  I love that 2 minute carnival mode.

Nando

Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/16/2012, 11:52 AMI love that 2 minute carnival mode.
..that's what she said!

Mishran

Everyone running into all this cool shit... Estate sales, japan grabs, I'm in the wrong part of the country/world.

On the up side, I found a place with 500+ arcade machines for sale about 15-20 miles from me. Woo!

Opethian

another bazzy!! Tokei if that Drac X is spiney I want it!
IMG

munchiaz

PikachuWarrior

Recently purchased Valis III TGCD: $30 shipped and Xenogears Soundtrack 2CD: $30 shipped. I'll post pictures when they arrive. Xenogears OST is coming from Japan so I'm not expecting that for 3-4 weeks from now, and I should be getting Valis III by the end of the week.

Also bought a TPU case for my old, but still kicking Ipad 1 32GB Wifi model. :P
IMG

DrBread

I really like video games...

fenix

DrBread - NICE! Been looking for one of those!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

DrBread

CPTRAVE

Yeah, that is a good price. O:) I was thinking about getting one but with my CD add on why waste my money.

DrBread

I think that if i were to collect turbo-cd games i would get a duo then region mod it so i don't have to go through the system card bullshit. I soon want to get my turbo region switched so i can play pce games and be a happy american boy playing the games that no one in this land had.

PikachuWarrior

I'd pay $40 for a Booster, even if it's the regular version and I already have the cd unit with the av inputs.
IMG

Bernie

Quote from: DrBread on 07/17/2012, 02:51 AMI think that if i were to collect turbo-cd games i would get a duo then region mod it so i don't have to go through the system card bullshit. I soon want to get my turbo region switched so i can play pce games and be a happy american boy playing the games that no one in this land had.
This is good thinking.  :)

Deletion

I picked up a Sony PVM-1910 for free from Craigslist. The owner stated his former employer used it once at a trade show and then he used it for a year at home, so the tube has plenty of life in it and the picture is beautiful. It features 900 lines of resolution and has composite, S-Video, RGB and component inputs. Because it's a pro monitor it has BNC connectors for the inputs and outputs and 3.5mm jacks for audio. Now I need to get more RCA-to-BNC and some RCA-to-3.5mm adapters.

/sonypvm1910277.jpg     /sonypvm1910266.jpg

/sonypvm1910280.jpg     /sonypvm1910269.jpg

Frank_fjs

Ooh I like that studio monitor, that is superb!

DrBread

High quality as fuck. And free is a great price :)

Opethian

You should look into using the 25pin CMPTR port on the back I have a SCART > CMPTR cable and its jawsome!
IMG

PunkCryborg

I have a scart breatout board which works great, I haven't had any problems with a console syncing up to it yet and yeah once you go PVM it's hard to go back to regular TVs

Opethian

thats because once you see RGB you cannot unsee. Composite will forever look like ass
IMG

Lilgrafx

Quote from: Opethian on 07/17/2012, 04:18 PMthats because once you see RGB you cannot unsee. Composite will forever look like ass
Truth

Tatsujin

Sony lab monitors are the best (except the usual small size) one can just get. I had one back in the days
which did eat probably every signal in existance. Damn, miss that thing. Lol.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CPTRAVE

Just wondering where are you going to get the RCA to BNC and the RCA-to-3.5mm adapters? I need the same thing.

Deletion

www.monoprice.com  :D

4121   BNC Male to RCA Female Adaptor - Gold Plated
7174   Metal 3.5mm Mono Plug to RCA Jack Adaptor - Gold Plated (note these are mono because my PVM has separate left and right audio inputs; stereo adaptors are also available)

Now I just have to find out where I can get those SCART to CMPTR 25-pin parallel cables Opethian suggested.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/17/2012, 11:01 PMSony lab monitors are the best (except the usual small size)
And the screen curvature.  I don't like seeing substantially much more at the bottom center than at the bottom right and left corners, etc.

SuperDeadite

Screen size and position can easily be adjusted on any decent monitor.  In my experience with pure RGB, certain devices like to hug to one side of the screen or the other.  Having picture adjustment options is mandatory.  Even more so if you are into arcade pcbs which use all kinds of non-standard craziness.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

JapanTokei

that looks great.  I'm still trying to "See" so I can "unsee"... searching for a good RBG monitor still

Quote from: Opethian on 07/17/2012, 04:18 PMthats because once you see RGB you cannot unsee. Composite will forever look like ass

JapanTokei

I tried bidding on a boxed TurboBooster on ebay 2 years ago and it went for almost $80, so I'd say yes.

eventually ol;Henry traded me his for my boxed PCE Forgotten Worlds w/3 button pad..

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/17/2012, 01:49 AMis that a good price? :)

roflmao

Here's what I picked up at Turbo Fest as well as a few other things that came in just before or while I was there:
(you can click on the images for larger versions)

IMG

I took a couple of closeups of the Duo for Bernie (Thanks again Bernie!)
IMG

BlueBMW worked his magic on this Duo.  I'm sure the insides look as awesome as the outside does.  Hiding in the corner to the right is a really slick region switch.
IMG

These came from Alexsduo's vendor booth.  Great guy to deal with.  I'm so happy to have Cadash back in my collection without having to drop a ton of money on it.  Thanks again!
IMG

Master System games came from Jeff.  :D
IMG

I won the briefcase unit from SMF's raffle.  Woot!  Thanks so much!  Now I just need to track down appropriate power cables and a CD add-on.
IMG

Hoobs was gracious enough to send me the manuals.  Thanks so much!  Power League III was a raffle win from Jibbajabba.  Thanks!
IMG

Mathius

Man, I still need to get me a US Duo. :(

Nando

Quote from: guest on 07/18/2012, 03:10 PMI won the briefcase unit from SMF's raffle.  Woot!  Thanks so much!  Now I just need to track down appropriate power cables and a CD add-on.
I need to get the top cover for mine, as for the power cables, here ya go http://www.retrogamecave.com/nec-ac_adapter.html

That's where I got mine from. Highly recommend them.

roflmao

Quote from: Nando on 07/18/2012, 03:25 PMI need to get the top cover for mine, as for the power cables, here ya go http://www.retrogamecave.com/nec-ac_adapter.html

That's where I got mine from. Highly recommend them.
Thanks!  I'm a big fan for retrogamecave.  Strangely enough, Chuck, the guy that runs retrogamecave, sent me a VHS demo tape of obscure PCE games back in the late '90s when we were both on the Turbo Mailing List.  He's a good guy. :)  I'll be picking up another of his AC adapters soon.

esteban

I will always hate this thread. I can't afford to buy much these days, so this thread is just one goddamn tease.

Pity me.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PikachuWarrior

/20120718155840.jpg

/20120718155852.jpg

$30 shipped on Amazon. Super excited to try this out!
IMG