The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/27/2012, 07:11 PMI always wanted one of these, and I got one today.

IMG
NICE!  I remember seeing similar boxes in Canada (Montreal)  Still baffles me that they elongated the system. Sigh..

"The last Story" looks pretty sweet and it seems to have gotten really good reviews, as well as Xenoblade. Makes me almost pick up a Wii. Almost.

meka

Bought Zaku from superfighterteam, it looks a lot like Air Zonk, if it's anyway near as good I'll be happy.

liquitek

Nice pick up DragonmasterDan!
So what's the deal with the EU TG-16 model when it comes to use in USA/Canada?
Do you need a 60Hz converter or upscaler?  I was tempted to buy one before leaving the UK 5 years ago since there was a brand new boxed with accessory pack for 50 quid with 10 common games but moving back to Canada, I didn't think it would work so I left it.

Bernie

Nando

Bernie keeping it real. NICE DUDE! how do you like it so far?

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: liquitek on 08/28/2012, 11:01 AMNice pick up DragonmasterDan!
So what's the deal with the EU TG-16 model when it comes to use in USA/Canada?
Do you need a 60Hz converter or upscaler?  I was tempted to buy one before leaving the UK 5 years ago since there was a brand new boxed with accessory pack for 50 quid with 10 common games but moving back to Canada, I didn't think it would work so I left it.
You need a TV or monitor that can display PAL signals.
--DragonmasterDan

bob

Flare65

Always wanted one of these.  Now I finally have one!

IMG
IMG
IMG

Got it off the original owner who was also a collector.  He played it once then stuck it back in the box and it has been that way ever since.  Everything is mint, including the instructions that are still stapled shut in the original bag.

FiftyQuid

Definitely cool Flare.  The anticipation waiting for it to show up would have killed me.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Joe Redifer

Nice.  I always thought it was called the Shuttlegrafx.  I swear there was an early GamePro article that showed off the SuperGrafx and the ShuttleGrafx.

turboswimbz

PCE's had the sexiest designs of any systems from the orginal to the shuttle to the PCFX.  SO much better than the standard rectangular box design that nintendo and other have designed to death
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

JapanTokei

she's a fine beauty, Flare.  I'm a proud owner myself on one :) 

yours is gem minty indeed...  did you get a good deal?  these dont came cheap completely boxed and minty like that.. I think I paid $250 ish for my complete and boxedwith all inserts but non sexy minty box like yours :) 

love every part of the shuttle though.  it is the best looking one in my opinion out of all the other version of consoles.. Super CD rom attachement is next in my book as #2 coolest looking.

Quote from: Flare65 on 08/28/2012, 11:44 PMAlways wanted one of these.  Now I finally have one!

IMG
IMG
IMG

Got it off the original owner who was also a collector.  He played it once then stuck it back in the box and it has been that way ever since.  Everything is mint, including the instructions that are still stapled shut in the original bag.

PunkCryborg

wow that's a totally sweet shuttle!

SuperDeadite

Now get the special shuttle addon for saving power!
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Flare65

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/29/2012, 02:21 AMNice.  I always thought it was called the Shuttlegrafx.  I swear there was an early GamePro article that showed off the SuperGrafx and the ShuttleGrafx.
I kinda remember that feature in GamePro as well, and I do remember the Shuttlegraphix name too.

Flare65

Quote from: JapanTokei on 08/29/2012, 10:03 AMshe's a fine beauty, Flare.  I'm a proud owner myself on one :) 

yours is gem minty indeed...  did you get a good deal?  these dont came cheap completely boxed and minty like that.. I think I paid $250 ish for my complete and boxedwith all inserts but non sexy minty box like yours :) 
That's about what I paid for it.  I met the owner in person and paid cash.  Last time it was turned on was over 15 years ago, until last night!

Colossus1574

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 08/29/2012, 10:28 AMwow that's a totally sweet shuttle!
Yah, something that old in such great shape, pretty sweet!

I never understood what was the reason NEC released this version of the platform? It's got the exact same features as a Coregraphx....hucard only, single controller port, 2 button controllers....I mean it's cool looking and all, but what's the diff?

TheClash603

Quote from: Colossus1574 on 08/29/2012, 08:25 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 08/29/2012, 10:28 AMwow that's a totally sweet shuttle!
Yah, something that old in such great shape, pretty sweet!

I never understood what was the reason NEC released this version of the platform? It's got the exact same features as a Coregraphx....hucard only, single controller port, 2 button controllers....I mean it's cool looking and all, but what's the diff?
It was just an attempt to get the kiddies to want one.  A marketing ploy and nothing more.

Frank_fjs

No CD support on the Shuttle which is a shame, but other than that a cool looking system. I agree that it was designed to lure younger gamers in.

Joe Redifer

I think when you're not using it to play PCE games you're supposed to pick it up, pretend it's flying and make "whoosh" noises with your mouth as it shoots down action figures (or in Japan's case, cute anime figurines).

SMF

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/30/2012, 12:39 AMI think when you're not using it to play PCE games you're supposed to pick it up, pretend it's flying and make "whoosh" noises with your mouth as it shoots down action figures (or in Japan's case, cute anime figurines).
You forgot to add WITH HUGE BOUNCING BREASTS after figurines lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Digi.k

nice pce stuff up there..

I am currently on a wii splurge right now

/MEMO0021.jpg

/MEMO0022.jpg

/MEMO0023.jpg

SMF

Quote from: Digi.k on 08/30/2012, 04:06 AMnice pce stuff up there..

I am currently on a wii splurge right now

/MEMO0021.jpg

/MEMO0022.jpg

/MEMO0023.jpg
All awesome scores, But im jealous of your The Last Story. The States always get the crappy extras lol
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

JapanTokei

adding sound effects:  "boing boing, whoosh whossh"...   lol

Quote from: SMF on 08/30/2012, 03:14 AMYou forgot to add WITH HUGE BOUNCING BREASTS after figurines lol.

Duo_R

Mysterious Song

/imag0294k.th.jpg
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

BlueBMW

Wall o pics.... sorry:

Got in an Amiga from T2KFreeker.  I've honestly never had an amiga before, so this should be a fun new experience for me.  Just need to figure out a display to use with it.  Sadly, I had a commodore monitor that would have worked with it, but I let it go a while ago.

/Amiga1.jpg

And a pile o disks:

/Amiga2.jpg

Then I was browsing craigslist today and came across an ad for a guy selling a bunch of old systems and games.  He wanted $300 for the lot, I offered $250 and he took $260.  Apparently he was clearing out all the stuff he had been holding on to since childhood.  He said he bought all this stuff new.  I got it home to discover that its pretty much all minty perfect!

The N64 is the original launch model, which was exactly what I wanted!  (It only has the launch games shown on the back of the box) 

/CL2.jpg

Boxed N64 controllers (I love boxed hardware...)

/CL3.jpg

N64 Games - all near mint basically.  Did this guy even play this stuff??

/CL4.jpg

SNES Games - man do I love Donkey Kong Country... its awesome to get a set of all three!  I think this guy really liked Mortal Kombat lol.

/CL5.jpg

A few NES games and some accessories...  Someone cut out that square in the shield on the Zelda box lol.

/CL6.jpg
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Nando

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

BlueBMW

Teh dog bonz!  And two and a half great games!  (I love MM6 by the way)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Bernie

Mathius

Cool Beamer! I am glad all of it went to a good home. Get that Amiga hooked up if nothing but to listen to some tunes. :)

Nando

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2012, 08:16 PM$25 at a garage sale today:
IMG
Too funny, cue in Ahnold! RECALL, RECALL! that joystiq just brought back a memory dump of great times! nice set of games too. I've never played MM6.

VestCunt

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/01/2012, 08:17 PMTeh dog bonz!  And two and a half great games!  (I love MM6 by the way)
HA. Which one's half great? I liked Mega Man 1 & 2, but lost interest in the series with the third game. Curious to see what they changed by number six.

First time using a dog bone - great controller, but I'll probably stick to my NES Max for most games.

Also my first time trying an Advantage in twenty years. I hated it BITD, but really like it now. My joystick skills have improved slightly by stubbornly using some of the TG16 joysticks, so that helps. I'll have to get a couple more NES shooters and run n' guns to use it with.
Topic Adjourned.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2012, 09:05 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/01/2012, 08:17 PMTeh dog bonz!  And two and a half great games!  (I love MM6 by the way)
HA. Which one's half great? I liked Mega Man 1 & 2, but lost interest in the series with the third game. Curious to see what they changed by number six.

First time using a dog bone - great controller, but I'll probably stick to my NES Max for most games.

Also my first time trying an Advantage in twenty years. I hated it BITD, but really like it now. My joystick skills have improved slightly by stubbornly using some of the TG16 joysticks, so that helps. I'll have to get a couple more NES shooters and run n' guns to use it with.
I LOVED my NES Max back in the day. It was the only reason why I was able to beat Contra. These days I can barely use it. What was once a great (if not slightly awkward) control pad has turned into a nightmare for me as an adult.

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2012, 09:05 PMHA. Which one's half great? I liked Mega Man 1 & 2, but lost interest in the series with the third game. Curious to see what they changed by number six.

I only gave the Mario 2 a half great :P

Megaman 6 had some neat features that werent in the other Megaman games.  Plus it had some excellent music!

Mathius

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/01/2012, 09:40 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/01/2012, 09:05 PMHA. Which one's half great? I liked Mega Man 1 & 2, but lost interest in the series with the third game. Curious to see what they changed by number six.

I only gave the Mario 2 a half great :P

Megaman 6 had some neat features that werent in the other Megaman games.  Plus it had some excellent music!
Mario 2 is definitely a *full* great. :razz: I'll never forget the day I got my copy from K-Mart shortly after its release. It was so different. The cover art was different. The gameplay was different. The music was different. It was all so unique and detached from the first game (this being before I knew of its true origin). I think a lot of developers miss that nowadays. A sequel doesn't have to be an exact copy of the first game to sell.

JapanTokei

I actually thought Megaman 3 was the best of the series!  1 and 2 were good too but 3 took it to another level.  after that it got too big/complicated imo

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2012, 09:05 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/01/2012, 08:17 PMTeh dog bonz!  And two and a half great games!  (I love MM6 by the way)

bartre

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/01/2012, 05:22 PMN64 Games - all near mint basically.  Did this guy even play this stuff??

/CL4.jpg
mucho jealous.
care to share?  :lol:

BlueBMW

Depends on what you're wanting Bartre :P

Some of the games I'll be keeping, others not so much.

esteban

SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (USA) is f*cking awesome. Always has been. Always will be.

I don't care about whether or not it is "cannon." Folks sound like pedantic professors at a community college when they discuss the nuances (I should know, I discuss the nuances of the Star Soldier series. You know what? I don't care if GunHed/Blazing Lazers isn't cannon. I don't care if COMPILE compiled it. I include GunHed in the Star Soldier series. Granted, I categorize GunHed as  "the cousin with over-active lymph nodes", BUT AT LEAST IT'S PART OF THE FAMILY. Yeah, I do the same for JJ & Jeff and Wonderboy 1/Adventure Island (NES)...) 

Super Mario Bros. 2: IT'S A FRIGGIN' SWEET ASS GAME and the sprite designs are where the "modern" Mario universe originate so IT IS CANNON YOU MOTHERF*CKERS.

Where are my pants? Why is the internet connection so slow at Panera right now?

What was I ranting about? Was my ranting even warranted? No, of course it wasn't. I just wanted to hear myself lash out for no good reason.

I feel better now.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

JapanTokei

Estaban - I agree but dont agree.  Agree on the gameplay of mario bro 2 is great.  dont agree because the JP version is better (aka Dream Factory).  the way Nintendo USA forced character changes contributed to the unnaturalness of the mario 2 as we know it today in USA.  otherwise, the game is fantastic in every way. 

In asia, mario 2 was actually never released in the states.. it had poison mushrooms and all.. forgot what it was called, but it was a lot tougher than super mario 1 and game levels wasn't as smooth/intuitive.. guess that's why Nintendo USA did what it did to skip it and repackage Dream Factory.

Quote from: esteban on 09/02/2012, 03:04 PMSUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (USA) is f*cking awesome. Always has been. Always will be.

I don't care about whether or not it is "cannon." Folks sound like pedantic professors at a community college when they discuss the nuances (I should know, I discuss the nuances of the Star Soldier series. You know what? I don't care if GunHed/Blazing Lazers isn't cannon. I don't care if COMPILE compiled it. I include GunHed in the Star Soldier series. Granted, I categorize GunHed as  "the cousin with over-active lymph nodes", BUT AT LEAST IT'S PART OF THE FAMILY. Yeah, I do the same for JJ & Jeff and Wonderboy 1/Adventure Island (NES)...) 

Super Mario Bros. 2: IT'S A FRIGGIN' SWEET ASS GAME and the sprite designs are where the "modern" Mario universe originate so IT IS CANNON YOU MOTHERF*CKERS.

Where are my pants? Why is the internet connection so slow at Panera right now?

What was I ranting about? Was my ranting even warranted? No, of course it wasn't. I just wanted to hear myself lash out for no good reason.

I feel better now.

Nando

Quote from: JapanTokei on 09/02/2012, 03:21 PMIn asia, mario 2 was actually never released in the states..
It was actually, as part of the SNES mario all star game. It was branded as "the lost levels" I think.

VestCunt

I like Mario 2 USA, but the Dig-Dug-style stages are wearisome. 
Topic Adjourned.

futureman2000

Found a Gameboy and some cool games at Goodwill- carrying case was unmarked under the counter, just happened to ask about it. And Super Monaco GP because Sega.

IMG

roflmao

Quote from: esteban on 09/02/2012, 03:04 PMSUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (USA) is f*cking awesome. Always has been. Always will be.

I agree 100%.  I probably play SMB2 more than any other Super Mario Brothers game.  It's just too much fun to play!

Lilgrafx

I hit the jackpot today, got all this for $51

SNES
Pocky Rocky 1&2
Soul Blazer
CatleVania IV
MegaMan X
Mystical Ninja
Mystic Quest

Genesis
Alisa Dragoon

Mathius

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 09/02/2012, 10:22 PMI hit the jackpot today, got all this for $51

SNES
Pocky Rocky 1&2
Soul Blazer
CatleVania IV
MegaMan X
Mystical Ninja
Mystic Quest

Genesis
Alisa Dragoon
That is some killer 16-bit goodness! I even enjoyed Mystic Quest bitd.

munchiaz

went game hunting with a few friends today. So much fun with multiple people. Heres what i found

IMG

IMG

IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: JapanTokei on 09/02/2012, 03:21 PMIn asia, mario 2 was actually never released in the states.
This sentence makes no sense.  So, in Asia, they didn't bother to release Mario 2 in the US?  But... maybe in Africa Mario 2 WAS released in the US perhaps?  I think in the UK Mario 2 was released in the US as well.  But in certain parts of Equador Mario 2 never saw release in the US.

bartre

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/02/2012, 01:12 PMDepends on what you're wanting Bartre :P

Some of the games I'll be keeping, others not so much.
well i'm a failure at life, so let me know, i'm trying to get all the US games, so i'll take just about anything, drop me a line.