PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

Interestingly, as far as Fatal Fury games go, the PCE versions always seem to have the worst looking floors.  A good example of this is the floating raft stage.  The other versions have floors with actual perspective.  The logs on the PCE versions, however, are all facing the same direction with no perspective whatsoever.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/19/2012, 06:08 PMInterestingly, as far as Fatal Fury games go, the PCE versions always seem to have the worst looking floors.  A good example of this is the floating raft stage.  The other versions have floors with actual perspective.  The logs on the PCE versions, however, are all facing the same direction with no perspective whatsoever.
I would love to add a special "The Logs of Fatal Fury" sub-section...but I need folks to contribute a bunch of interesting screenshots to help illustrate your point.

No, I'm not joking.  :pcgs:

In fact, I would love to add anything you folks (including Joe) want to emphasize/point out in these comparisons. I just need screenshots and competent explanations of the point you are trying to illustrate.  :pcgs:

Joe Redifer

I can only do real system grabs and those will be of lower quality than emulator grabs.  I have RGB out but no way to capture it.  I can transcode it into component but no way to capture that either.  So my captures need to default to s-video which everyone hates.  My Game Sack captures are all S-video for the Turbo.  Early on they were composite.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/19/2012, 06:08 PMInterestingly, as far as Fatal Fury games go, the PCE versions always seem to have the worst looking floors.  A good example of this is the floating raft stage.  The other versions have floors with actual perspective.  The logs on the PCE versions, however, are all facing the same direction with no perspective whatsoever.
Yeah, for everything that the PCE Fatal Fury ports have that other 16-bit ports don't, a few background aspects are missing, likely to save on space. Although 18 megs is a lot, the PCE versions not only have huge sprites that are super animated, -the second size for the alternate plane effectively doubles the amount of animation per fight. Still, the ground/floors all look nice, especially the logs. They're just different/unique.

Quote from: esteban on 04/19/2012, 06:43 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 04/19/2012, 12:16 AMTease!
Slowly adding...

Fatal Fury 2

Fatal Fury Special
The FFS page has a mismatched screen shot.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

awack

Quotethe second size for the alternate plane effectively doubles the amount of animation per fight
I looked at a set number of moves and if i remember right it was about double the number of frames compared to the snes or genesis ports, plus you have the smaller redrawn sprite  in the pce port which isn't much smaller than the large snes sprite...the snes just uses the same sprite for the second plane, it just rearranges the pixels to make it look shorter or thiner. So basically a hell lot more frames than any non neogeo 16bit(pce snes genesis) game.

Tatsujin

Quote from: awack on 04/19/2012, 10:10 PMplus you have the smaller redrawn sprite  in the pce port which isn't much smaller than the large snes sprite...the snes just uses the same sprite for the second plane, it just rearranges the pixels to make it look shorter or thiner.
LOL, SNES FAIL!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

does soemone know of how big in graphic size was the biggest ACD game. e.g. SNK beat em up and sapphire? it seems that drac x was the largest SCD game with 19.8MB of pure graphics. that makes almost 160Mbits which is half the size of first generation AES games (in terms of limitation).
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/19/2012, 08:08 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/19/2012, 06:43 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 04/19/2012, 12:16 AMTease!
Slowly adding...

Fatal Fury 2

Fatal Fury Special
The FFS page has a mismatched screen shot.
Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it, plus added:

Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Parodius Da!
Raiden
Strider
Valis
Valis IV

Quote from: guest on 04/19/2012, 08:08 PM
Yeah, for everything that the PCE Fatal Fury ports have that other 16-bit ports don't, a few background aspects are missing, likely to save on space. Although 18 megs is a lot, the PCE versions not only have huge sprites that are super animated, -the second size for the alternate plane effectively doubles the amount of animation per fight. Still, the ground/floors all look nice, especially the logs. They're just different/unique.
Well, if anyone out there wants to take screenshots of unique :pcgs: "The Logs of Fatal Fury"...

Also, to add to my earlier request, I think it would be neat if we added "Notes" to each entry...we can pull some notes from the existing comments, but you folks probably have new stuff to add.

Feel free to contribute any trivia/observations/context that you think is relevant...

Mathius

Did you mean to label the Strider pics as "SuperGrafx"?   [-X :P

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 04/21/2012, 10:41 AMDid you mean to label the Strider pics as "SuperGrafx"?   [-X :P
Yeah, and I thought I did. Damn, I must be really tired.  :pcgs:

Digi.k

Quote from: esteban on 04/21/2012, 04:28 AMParodius Da!
One thing I like to point out with the parodius pink cloud stage boss and I know this sounds anal.. is that huge sprite the SNES has a few frames missing.. notably when you meet her on the pce and arcade edition her hair is tied up and falls down as you begin to fight her.  SNES version the hair remains fallen as you greet her.

/P1010227.jpg

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/22/2012, 08:32 AM
Quote from: esteban on 04/21/2012, 04:28 AMParodius Da!
One thing I like to point out with the parodius pink cloud stage boss and I know this sounds anal.. is that huge sprite the SNES has a few frames missing.. notably when you meet her on the pce and arcade edition her hair is tied up and falls down as you begin to fight her.  SNES version the hair remains fallen as you greet her.
/P1010227.jpg
damn that pic hurts my eyes :(

Amadeusama

Please, don't anybody get this question wrong (I truly appreciate the time and effort such comparisons take!):

Why does everybody always do these comparisons with Megadrive and SuperFamicom?
Even in Japan these platforms were released a little over two and three years (!) after the PCE respectively.
And yes, comparisons there go to show how well the PCE was able to stand its ground in its latter days, but until late 1989 there was no alternative to the PCE. (Not that there is these days, 25 years later ...  [-X )

But what is usually neglected, is how extremely the PCE graphically wiped the floor with 8-bit Sega and Nintendo at the beginning, and how it could conquer such a large market share in the first place.

I would love to see more such comparisons with the 8-bit systems mentioned, especially for games published in the first three to four years of the PCE life (fall 1987 till 1990/1991).

IMG IMG
So I actually bought me a book on Mahjong ...

RegalSin

Everybody knows the PCE would mop the floor with the NES. The PCE was made to make animated graphics, while mopping the floor with the PC counterpart, which was made to make/arcade graphics.

The bigger question is why didn't they just release the same NES game on the PCE, like they did with Ninja-ryokuden on the SNES. I know it is a half past job, but at least they would have a bigger library.

The NES had it's own style of graphics, while the PCE did it's own thing.
I am more amazed of how the PCE graphics stand against the Saturn. The Saturn was censored beyond belief, obviously, but the comparison their also stood out.

The PCE vs PSX vs Saturn, that is how I see it. The Saturn and PSX was up against the Windows 95 games.
IMGIMG

roflmao

Quote from: Amadeusama on 06/29/2012, 08:39 AMI would love to see more such comparisons with the 8-bit systems mentioned, especially for games published in the first three to four years of the PCE life (fall 1987 till 1990/1991).
Me too!  I'll have to see if I have anything to contribute.

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: RegalSin on 06/29/2012, 12:08 PMThe bigger question is why didn't they just release the same NES game on the PCE, like they did with Ninja-ryokuden on the SNES. I know it is a half past job, but at least they would have a bigger library.
Not sure about Japan but Nintendo had really slimy business practices in the US where they said to publishers if they released games on other systems they would be cut off from the NES, the biggest market at the time. But of course millions of people grew up with the NES so they think they are some wonderful company that can do no wrong. Barf.

That said, there were plenty of ports to the PCE from third parties who released games on the Famicom and later the Mega Drive. Sega, Namco, Konami, Capcom, Taito, to name a few.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Amadeusama on 06/29/2012, 08:39 AMI would love to see more such comparisons with the 8-bit systems mentioned, especially for games published in the first three to four years of the PCE life (fall 1987 till 1990/1991).
There's a comparison of Don Doko Don.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

There are many comparisons to NES and SMS games in this thread, they're just sprinkled throughout the dozens of pages.

Nintendo did indeed bully Japanese publishers, which is why Capcom didn't publish anything for PCE.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

CrackTiger

Here are some 8-bit to PCE comparisons. Pics stolen from all over the place.

AFTERBURNER-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS
NES - FC

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

BONANZA BROS-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMG IMG

DAISENPU/BOMBER RAID-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG

CASTLEVANIA-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - NES

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

DARIUS II-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

FORGOTTEN WORLDS-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

DOUBLE DRAGON II-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - NES

IMG ddiines1.png
IMG ddiines2.png

MONSTER WORLD III-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMG IMG
IMGIMG

GAIN GROUND-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS
https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_action.htm#Gain_Ground
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

GHOSTS 'N GOBLINS-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - NES

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

GODZILLA-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - NES

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

MONSTER WORLD-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

OUTRUN-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG

PARODIUS DA-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - NES

IMGIMG
IMG IMG

PRINCE OF PERSIA-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS - NES

IMGIMGIMG

RASTAN-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

SPACE HARRIER-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Space_Harrier

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG
IMG
IMG

SHADOW OF THE BEAST-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_action.htm#Shadow_of_the_Beast

PCE - SMS

IMG sotbsms1.png

STAR SOLDIER-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - NES

IMG IMG
IMG IMG

STRIDER-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_action.htm#Strider

PCE - SMS - NES

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

THUNDER BLADE-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

TWIN COBRA-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Kyuukyoku_Tiger

PCE - NES

IMG IMG
IMG IMG

VALIS-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - NES

IMG IMG

Mathius

Oh wow! What a nice homecoming gift.

motdelbourt

Nice work. SMS Prince of Persia looks awesome, and the NES doesn't look half bad either. SMS Shadow of the Beast looks like they shouldn't have bothered.

esteban

Quote from: motdelbourt on 07/21/2012, 01:07 AMNice work. SMS Prince of Persia looks awesome, and the NES doesn't look half bad either. SMS Shadow of the Beast looks like they shouldn't have bothered.
Hey! What's wrong with ol' Beastie wearing denim Daisy Dukes?

Nothing.

IMG

:pcgs:

Frank_fjs

SMS holds up quite well me thinks, NES tends to look rather bland in comparison.

_Paul

esteban

Mathius

Yeah the Famicom/European NES version is a rad different. :)

RegalSin

As long as we know it is a girl, that is what counts.
IMGIMG

DrBread

I think colors and how they're different changes someones interpretation on which ones better.
I really like video games...

esteban

Quote from: DrBread on 07/23/2012, 10:45 PMI think colors and how they're different changes someones interpretation on which ones better.
IMG Hany, in a hallucinogenic haze, summons his determination and says, "I think colors, and how they're different, changes someone's interpretation, too."

KnightWarrior

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

lol, that should cover it for ever.

soop

I never knew there was vomit in SF II!!!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

SignOfZeta

The two Godzilla games compared aren't even the same game other than they say "Godzilla" on the box.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: DrBread on 07/23/2012, 10:45 PMI think colors and how they're different changes someones interpretation on which ones better.
I would assume this was a Regal Sin quote, but no credit is attributed. Also, it should be 3 or 4 pages longer and mention something about how VHS was the best video format ever.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/25/2012, 01:04 PMThe two Godzilla games compared aren't even the same game other than they say "Godzilla" on the box.
Same goes for many other comparisons in this thread. It's not a "gameplay comparison" thread.

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/25/2012, 01:05 PM
I would assume this was a Regal Sin quote, but no credit is attributed. Also, it should be 3 or 4 pages longer and mention something about how VHS was the best video format ever.
Hahahahhahahahhahaha. So very true. :pcgs:

motdelbourt

Quote from: esteban on 07/26/2012, 11:25 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/25/2012, 01:05 PM
Hahahahhahahahhahaha. So very true. :pcgs:
Now I'm picturing him as the villain in the movie Ted.

Mathius

Request time! Someone please post comparison pics of Choaniki and Wings of War (Gynoug-MD). They are both developed by NCS/Masaya, and share similar gameplay and boss designs.

Ceti Alpha

IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Mathius

8bitForLife

but nes has electrolytes its what Godzilla needs

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/25/2012, 01:04 PMThe two Godzilla games compared aren't even the same game other than they say "Godzilla" on the box.
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/530/show-collection.htm

Mathius

Quote from: Mathius on 08/28/2012, 01:54 AMRequest time! Someone please post comparison pics of Choaniki and Wings of War (Gynoug-MD). They are both developed by NCS/Masaya, and share similar gameplay and boss designs.
:-"

roflmao

Quote from: Mathius on 09/16/2012, 09:25 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 08/28/2012, 01:54 AMRequest time! Someone please post comparison pics of Choaniki and Wings of War (Gynoug-MD). They are both developed by NCS/Masaya, and share similar gameplay and boss designs.
:-"
I don't have Choaniki, but I recently recorded some gameplay footage of Wings of Wor and posted it on yt. 

You can see that here:

CrackTiger

GNYOUG/WINGS OF WAR ---- CHO ANIKI ---- AI CO ANIKI

IMG IMG IMG

IMG IMG IMG

IMG IMG IMG

IMG IMG IMG

IMG IMG IMG

IMG IMG IMG

Pics stolen from Duomazov Bros, Sega-16 and vgmuseum.