RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

xcrement5x

Quote from: galam on 03/11/2013, 12:36 PM
Quote from: turbokon on 03/11/2013, 12:20 PMWhat does that do?
Echo, Rogue Leader.  What DOES this do?
It lets you take advantage of the awesome FM music on Sega Master System games.  You install it into your US unit so you can play them with great music but still get US text.  The only other option from my understanding is a JP Master System. 

New Goodies from the Thrift, Very PC Heavy this time!

IMG
Finds  2013-03-09 Xbox 1 by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Windows Media Center Extender for Xbox with Remote
Lego Star Wars II  [XBOX]
Splinter Cell  [XBOX]
Rocky Legends  [XBOX]

IMG
Finds  2013-03-09 Xbox 2 by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Madden 2002 [XBOX]
Chase Hollywood Stunt Driver  [XBOX]
King Kong  [XBOX]
Genesis Model 1/Sega CD Power Adaper
Official GBA SP Charger

Now the good stuff!  All of these are about as complete as they could be from what I can tell.  A couple even still have the original receipts in them!

IMG
Finds  2013-03-09 PC 1 by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road

IMG
Finds  2013-03-09 PC 2 by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Rise of the Dragon

IMG
Finds  2013-03-09 PC 3 by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Heimdall
Out of This World

IMG
Finds  2013-03-09 PC 4 by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Rex Nebular And the Cosmic Gender Bender
Shadow President

IMG
Finds  2013-03-09 PC & NES by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Maxell 2S 5 1/4 Diskettes, Brand New
Quattro Sports [NES]

Since the PC games are in such goood condition I'm hesitant to get rid of them but a lot of them I already have on Sega CD so I can't decide if I want to keep them all.  The condition on them is amazing, the LucasArts ones have all the goodies and even the "Adventurer" magazines still.  Don't know about the diskettes but I'm guessing they're probably fine, I don't have a 3.5" floppy drive any more though.

The Quattro Sports is funny though since I was just talking to Dan the other day about the Quattro games since I'd never heard of them.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

SuperDeadite

Wow, the Floppy version of TIE Fighter.  Honestly, you are way better off with the CD-ROM version as it includes the addon packs, either way awesome game must be played by all.  Sam and Max was my childhood as well.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Bernie

Got the IFU from BlueBMW in today, and hooked it up.  Some of you may wince a little at what I done to the cover, so that I could close it without unhooking the controller.  I also had to make slight clearance for a region mod switch.  I do not think it turned out bad, even though some trimming was involved.  :)

IMG

IMG

Now after playing, I can just shut it and it can basically stay dust free, and look nice sitting there on the shelf.  I had to remove the right latch, and trim a little to allow room for the controller.

futureman2000

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 03/11/2013, 12:17 PM
Quote from: futureman2000 on 03/11/2013, 11:39 AMSms fm mod arrived! No time to install until Wed., though :-/

IMG
Did you get that from Tim in Australia? That guy makes killer stuff. I've bought like 8 of those things over the years.
Yeah, got it from Tim- I'm really impressed with the workmanship. Obviously haven't tried it yet, but the thing looks solid.

Bardoly

Quote from: RoyVegas on 03/11/2013, 10:50 AMWent to a few brick and mortar game stores in town yesterday.  As expected the prices were sad, one had Vasteel - $150, another had Neutopia II (loosie) - $90, another had Neutopia - $75.  I saved the one that's typically the worst at pricing for last.
Yeah, People Play Games in Chicago had a really nice condition boxed copy of Neutopia II (complete with plastic tray) for $130 when I visited there on Saturday.  If I didn't already have a boxed copy, then I would have been pretty tempted...

hoobs88

Quote from: Bernie on 03/11/2013, 12:52 PMGot the IFU from BlueBMW in today, and hooked it up.  Some of you may wince a little at what I done to the cover, so that I could close it without unhooking the controller.  I also had to make slight clearance for a region mod switch.  I do not think it turned out bad, even though some trimming was involved.  :)

IMG

IMG

Now after playing, I can just shut it and it can basically stay dust free, and look nice sitting there on the shelf.  I had to remove the right latch, and trim a little to allow room for the controller.
My Core Grafx has a smaller region switch so it would probably fit in the briefcase without having to make adjustments. That's a cool idea cutting a hole for the controller. Is one latch enough to secure it and still be able to carry it?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Bernie

hoobs, it seem to be although I must admit, I dont play on carrying it around much, and when I do move it I dont use the handle anyway.  :)

PunkCryborg

poor IFU :(

heh it's a good idea though!

Mathius

That IFU still looks pretty sweet. I'd get one but I don't have the room especially if I am to get a CMVS one day.

Roy, that definitely is a pretty Duo. I don't own one yet but would make an exception and find the room for one if/when I find a good deal. I am still kicking myself for not jumping on the one Ope had for sale a while back. It 'twas boxed.

liquitek

Some nice pick ups xcrement5x, especially the PC stuffs  :mrgreen:

ApolloBoy

Quote from: futureman2000 on 03/11/2013, 01:28 PM
Quote from: jeffhlewis on 03/11/2013, 12:17 PM
Quote from: futureman2000 on 03/11/2013, 11:39 AMSms fm mod arrived! No time to install until Wed., though :-/

IMG
Did you get that from Tim in Australia? That guy makes killer stuff. I've bought like 8 of those things over the years.
Yeah, got it from Tim- I'm really impressed with the workmanship. Obviously haven't tried it yet, but the thing looks solid.
The nice thing about the new FM board is that it incorporates a region mod now which means you can play Japanese games without a BIOS replacement. I plan on getting one for my Mark III since you can't use RGB with the original FM unit.
IMG

Mishran

What does one of those FM thingies cost? How does one acquire on? Is it difficult to install?

futureman2000

Quote from: Mishran on 03/12/2013, 04:48 PMWhat does one of those FM thingies cost? How does one acquire on? Is it difficult to install?
http://members.iinet.net.au/~stinkyfist/reviletim/smsfm/smsfm.html
This has the info you seek

Joe Redifer

That site says it even adds SMS FM capabilities to a Mega Drive. How in the hell do you attach that to a Mega Drive?

ApolloBoy

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/12/2013, 05:17 PMThat site says it even adds SMS FM capabilities to a Mega Drive. How in the hell do you attach that to a Mega Drive?
Almost all of the necessary data lines are present on the Z80 but you'll need to wire up an additional logic chip to generate the KBSEL signal which the Genesis/MD lacks.
IMG

PikachuWarrior

Half Price Books:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES): $25

Didn't have it, and it's about the going price. Can't complain. Seems like a fun game.
IMG

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 03/12/2013, 06:21 PMHalf Price Books:

Didn't have it, and it's about the going price. Can't complain. Seems like a fun game.
I got the Genesis version from Goodwill for $2.50 the other day.  Not sure how it compares to the SNES version...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Mishran

Quote from: futureman2000 on 03/12/2013, 04:53 PM
Quote from: Mishran on 03/12/2013, 04:48 PMWhat does one of those FM thingies cost? How does one acquire on? Is it difficult to install?
Thanks for the link. I currently only have 3 games that make use of the thing, so I think I'll hold off on it for now.

jeffhlewis

Tim sells those things for $70 a pop I believe, shipped. They're pretty solidly produced and he ships pretty quick.

As mentioned - the latest revision allows you to play Wonderboy III with FM sound which previously was only possible with a dodgy region mod.

US copies of Phantasy Star and Y's unfortunately don't have the FM soundtrack on the ROM - they had to be removed to make room for the English translation. If you pick up a Master Everdrive though you can get the fan-translated ROMs to get FM + english translation.

The list of FM enabled games: http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8714

nectarsis

Seeing as I have been pretty busy the last week or so (and to save bandwith) I'll post a link to my blog post on my nabs lately"

http://shawbrothersfan.blogspot.com/
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Mathius

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 03/12/2013, 11:22 PM
Tim sells those things for $70 a pop I believe, shipped. They're pretty solidly produced and he ships pretty quick.

As mentioned - the latest revision allows you to play Wonderboy III with FM sound which previously was only possible with a dodgy region mod.

US copies of Phantasy Star and Ys unfortunately don't have the FM soundtrack on the ROM - they had to be removed to make room for the English translation. If you pick up a Master Everdrive though you can get the fan-translated ROMs to get FM + english translation.

The list of FM enabled games: http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8714
Ah man! I just missed hearing WB III FM goodness. Ah well, I still love my FM SMS and thanks to Jeff I wouldn't have ever known just how many US games actually have FM soundtracks. It's unbelievable!

KnightWarrior

I got

Madden 98 (CB) - Genesis $1.50

PikachuWarrior

Any youtube videos with comparison between normal and this "FM" sound?
IMG

esteban

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 03/13/2013, 12:50 AMAny youtube videos with comparison between normal and this "FM" sound?
I feel like our own CrackTiger and/or Joe Redifer may have made something along these lines.

EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T, I KNOW THAT THEY WOULD HAVE WANTED TO MAKE SUCH A VIDEO.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bardoly

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 03/12/2013, 06:21 PMHalf Price Books:

I think that it's a fun game, especially with a partner!

jeffhlewis

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 03/13/2013, 12:50 AMAny youtube videos with comparison between normal and this "FM" sound?
Phantasy Star 1:
Double Dragon:
JP SMS Bios (Space Harrier Theme):
This guy has a really good overview (and actually a really good channel in general):

Mishran

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 03/13/2013, 10:32 AM
Phantasy Star 1:
Double Dragon:
JP SMS Bios (Space Harrier Theme):
This guy has a really good overview (and actually a really good channel in general):
Damn! Double Dragon sounds amazing in FM! That Space Harrier theme sounds pretty sweet too.

EvilEvoIX

I just got this for a lil over $100 shipped.  It had no power supply but I use my Model 1 power supply.  Anyone have a proper power supply for sale?
The system was FILTHY, like flea market filthy, and all the games had VideoRental stickers all over.  Not one game would work unless I attached it with a Q-Tip and then of course.  I have since cleaned all the games with G0-Gone and opened the unit and removed a pound of dust and filth.  Everything looks so much better now.

The controller worked fine but rattled a bit and the 1st turbo switch was iffy, only worked half way which is a no-no for Bonk or The Legendary AX II.  I opened that, cleaned all the black stuff out and it's perfect.

I use the NES RF which has to be better then the OEM unit but it still sucks.  Looking for a CD unit now and then RGB/Region modding.  I can get an arcade card too for like $40, is that all I need?

This is my 1st turbo however back in the day I had the Turbo Express.  It ruled until my buddy stole it from me. :-({|=

Thanks guys, pics and vid below.

IMGIMG

Vid here, check out my other videos.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Joe Redifer

Too bad that Turbo only works with 14 games. ;)

IMG
I really should get one of these. We plan to do an SMS vs NES episode one of these days and it would be wrong not to mention and demonstrate the FM sound. Looks pretty easy to install. I know it comes with a switch and wire to enable/disable JP mode for games like Wonder Boy 3, but is the FM/PSG switch easily accessible from the outside of the SMS? It says I don't have to bust off the plastic, but if I do can I reach that switch?

jeffhlewis

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/13/2013, 03:10 PMToo bad that Turbo only works with 14 games. ;)

IMG
I really should get one of these. We plan to do an SMS vs NES episode one of these days and it would be wrong not to mention and demonstrate the FM sound. Looks pretty easy to install. I know it comes with a switch and wire to enable/disable JP mode for games like Wonder Boy 3, but is the FM/PSG switch easily accessible from the outside of the SMS? It says I don't have to bust off the plastic, but if I do can I reach that switch?
Joe: the kit ships with a switch to enable FM or PSG that plugs right into the board with no soldering. That white potentiometer in the pic controls the FM/PSG mix. The only thing you have to do (at least in the versions I've installed; not sure about the latest revision) is remove a single cap and solder two wires and a ground. It's pretty easy to do even with minimal soldering skill.

Joe Redifer

How do I control region if the switch controls FM on/off? Wonder Boy 3 needs to think it's on a Japanese console.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/13/2013, 04:41 PMHow do I control region if the switch controls FM on/off? Wonder Boy 3 needs to think it's on a Japanese console.
Tim released version 2.0 recently, with this note on his site:

One of the most popular games with FM sound is Monster World III: The Dragon's Trap. This game is programmed to use the FM sound hardware only if it detects that is is running on a Japanese SMS (or Mark III). For this reason I have added a region switch to V2.0 of the SMSFM board. A three position switch is supplied which can be used to select between PSG, FM, or Japanese/FM.

futureman2000

It's a three way switch: FM / PSG only / JP+Fm

Joe Redifer

Derp. I missed that part. Cool. Sounds pretty effortless to install. I just hope things ship to the US from Australia faster than they do from Canada.

PikachuWarrior

Picked up a Dazzle DVC-101 from my Goodwill for $1.50

It's a usb video capture device where you can record footage from even game consoles. Works great when I tested it on my SNES. No input lag at all! Goes for $30-40 on Ebay, used.

Can't beat one-fiddy!
IMG

RoyVegas

The Duo R I ordered from Japan came in yesterday.  It definately needed a cleaning but works great. 

Was rather annoyed to see that I was overcharged by almost $20 on the real cost of the shipping. Oh well.
All is well. :)

bartre

well yesterday i picked up a case for my psp go ($2)

aside from that i finally found a copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2, and a few N64 games i didn't have yet, including Carmageddon 64.
god it's an awful port.

that said, I now have filled 5 boxes solely with N64 games, boxed and loose, and i'm at 192/300 on my personal collection for the system.

TheClash603

Quote from: bartre on 03/15/2013, 04:43 PMwell yesterday i picked up a case for my psp go ($2)

aside from that i finally found a copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2, and a few N64 games i didn't have yet, including Carmageddon 64.
god it's an awful port.

that said, I now have filled 5 boxes solely with N64 games, boxed and loose, and i'm at 192/300 on my personal collection for the system.
Just outta curiosity, are there any games that are actually rare or hard to find for the system?  I don't kbow of anything, I was under the impression most N64 games are $10 or less, with some of the popular games reaching the $30 range.

Alos, why would anyone want to complete a set of the N64?

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

bartre

N64 is my childhood, essentially.
but yeah, there are some real rare games for the system, as well as a few OMG R@RE games that aren't actually rare, but idiots pay out the ass for them.

example of category 1 - Clay Fighter Sculptor's cut, Turok Rage Wars (grey cart), and Stunt Racer 64.
examples of category 2 - Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Party 3, and Super Smash Bros.

Mishran

/img0642mt.jpg
/img0643lz.jpg

Popped my Non-Neo Geo arcade pcb cherry. P.O.W. Jamma board and manual! Used to spend alot of money on this game as a kid. A local public swimming pool had a cab outside of their snack bar/dressing rooms. When I was done in the pool, I spent time playing this while waiting for my mom to pick me up. :) Playing it now brings back fond memories.

/img0644jt.jpg

Also picked up a few other needed items. Jamma harness extender (wrapped electrical tape around the solder joints on the male connector), button wrench, 2 button hole caps, and 12 pcb feet. 6 I already mounted on P.O.W.

EDIT: Nevermind, after some research I found that these extenders are basically junk. Works well with an MVS 1 slot, but this board is a bit power hungry and the cheap power wires aren't the proper gauge to provide accurate power without playing with power supply voltage output which is a big hell no.

TheClash603

POW was the shit when I was a kid, great purchase.

P.S. - when you were a kid did you call it POW like the sound cause you didn't know better?

Tatsujin

finally bought me a new pce games in quite a very long time :)

/dsc1893v.jpg
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

BlueBMW

Metal Black! Nice!

gogo birdie!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

TheClash603

I bought an Action Replay for the Gamecube today so I can play F-Zero AX.

Also got Okamiden for DS, but that isn't as cool.

Mishran

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/16/2013, 11:51 PMP.S. - when you were a kid did you call it POW like the sound cause you didn't know better?
Yes I did, but I still call the game POW to this day. It's quicker than spelling it out, and people give you funny looks when you say it. I love it. :lol:

I almost picked up the NES version of the game instead, but then I played it on a test system at a game shop and realized the game is horrible. Don't regret my choice.

PunkCryborg

Opethian

IMG
thanks ark! soundtrack is fucking awesome!
IMG

bob

^^ I can't wait for mine to arrive.  Dying to try this.  ^^