What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mishran

Quote from: DesmondThe3rd on 06/16/2013, 07:25 AM
Quote from: allyourblood on 06/16/2013, 12:46 AM
Quote from: DesmondThe3rd on 06/16/2013, 12:28 AMI played Military Madness recently.... for 6 hours straight!
You did the right thing. I only wish I had your resolve.

Great game.
Heh heh, it was a strange thing. I wanted to go through the first 16 levels without stopping just to see if I could still do it.
So you did? I've only played military madness a little, but never put enough effort in to try and complete it. Yet...

DesmondThe3rd

Quote from: Mishran on 06/16/2013, 07:47 AM
Quote from: DesmondThe3rd on 06/16/2013, 07:25 AM
Quote from: allyourblood on 06/16/2013, 12:46 AM
Quote from: DesmondThe3rd on 06/16/2013, 12:28 AMI played Military Madness recently.... for 6 hours straight!
Yup, I was sweating a little on stage 13 and 14 but I managed to complete all 16 levels.

You did the right thing. I only wish I had your resolve.

Great game.
Heh heh, it was a strange thing. I wanted to go through the first 16 levels without stopping just to see if I could still do it.
So you did? I've only played military madness a little, but never put enough effort in to try and complete it. Yet...

allyourblood

Picked up a trio of PCE games from Jasonbar, Aoi Blink, Energy, and Gomola Speed. Energy was purchased simply to see if it was as bad as they say.

It is.

Right off the bat, it starts with a "cinema" opening that cannot be skipped. Even after the game is loaded and you've just died, it starts all over again. Bizarrely enough, you have to press a button to get past certain bits of dialog in the game, but half the time it doesn't work! You just sit there, mashing buttons randomly until the game decides to advance you to the next part!

Once you're in the game, it gets even more broken. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the jumping mechanics of the game, and a lot of moves stutter, causing your character to move around in a really herky-jerky sort of way. When you get hit by enemies (at least, these early ones), there's no visual or audible clues; you just lose some of your life bar. That makes it hard to tell when my sprite is getting too close to enemies. Sometimes it seems like I passed by one safely but then I'll notice my lifebar has depleted slightly. Bleh.

I'm gonna play it a bit more, mostly because I'm a glutton for punishment, but that's about it. What a weird train wreck of a game.
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

VenomMacbeth

Just got killed by the Black Pudding in Cadash.  Definitely a good first turbo game for me. :)
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

roflmao

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 06/22/2013, 02:49 PMJust got killed by the Black Pudding in Cadash.  Definitely a good first turbo game for me. :)
Yeah, it's a fun game, but to make the most of it you need to do a fair amount of grinding early on.  Once you've leveled up some, the game become much easier. :)

turboswimbz

Kickball, Kunio Dodgeball, and Son SOn II.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

JoshTurboTrollX

I think I just got farther than I have ever gotten before in Legendary Axe II...   O_O
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: guest on 06/22/2013, 03:33 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 06/22/2013, 02:49 PMJust got killed by the Black Pudding in Cadash.  Definitely a good first turbo game for me. :)
Yeah, it's a fun game, but to make the most of it you need to do a fair amount of grinding early on.  Once you've leveled up some, the game become much easier. :)
This is so important.

I am always at level 7 minimum after I kill Black Pudding.

Mishran

Played some Shanghai 3, Bloody Wolf, Lords of the Rising Sun, and finished Dungeon Explorer using the TGCD setup. Can't believe the original gear is still kickin' in this beast. :shock:

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Mishran on 06/23/2013, 09:26 PMPlayed some Shanghai 3, Bloody Wolf, Lords of the Rising Sun, and finished Dungeon Explorer using the TGCD setup. Can't believe the original gear is still kickin' in this beast. :shock:
I want Bloody Wolf so bad.  I can't decide if I should get the PCE or Turbob version first, though...probably PCE, so I can play it on my TV.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

kid_rondeau

I'd just like to say that I know I'm getting old because I have gone from "I'll never buy the two golf games for TurboGrafx" to "I want to play Jack Nicklaus more than any other game right now because I find it so relaxing."

Sigh.

MrPoppy

Recently got back into the Turbo scene. Just finished Ys III, now I've been cycling between Street Fighter 2 and Parasol Stars with a little bit of Aero Blasters mixed in. I've got Alien Crush coming in soon. Real excited.
Looking for:
US Legendary Axe case and manual
US Ninja Spirit case and manual
US Pac-Land manual

esteban

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 06/24/2013, 09:48 PMI'd just like to say that I know I'm getting old because I have gone from "I'll never buy the two golf games for TurboGrafx" to "I want to play Jack Nicklaus more than any other game right now because I find it so relaxing."

Sigh.
Surest sign of getting old.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

seieienbu

Played my turbo for the first time in a bit tonight.  Played Vigilante and Legendary Axe.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Damon Plus

Playing Chase HQ at the moment. I hated the game at first, but now it is growing on me. It feels a bit unpolished, but the core gameplay idea is very entertaining.

Mishran

Played through Bonk 3 again early this morning. Every time I play it, I can never really get into it. They tried too hard to incorporate the size changing aspect. I normally avoid the candy unless it's needed to advance or to snatch an otherwise out of reach item. It makes some levels seem like a chore.

Has anyone played this 2-player? Does it add anything to the game's fun factor?

whisper2053

I've gone back to Mysterious Song. At this point, I'm determined to finish it, so everything else is pretty much back burner for now until I do. Can't...get...catchy...music...out...of...my...head...
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

NecroPhile

Quote from: Mishran on 06/25/2013, 03:52 PMHas anyone played this 2-player? Does it add anything to the game's fun factor?
It's fun with a second player, though some spots can be a chore if the other person can't keep up.

P.S. - you suck for not liking ze big adventure.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Damon Plus

I finished Chase HQ. It has just 5 stages, then you see a single-screen ending telling you your fight against crime hasn't ended and it loops again. I played a third loop and finally got bored of it.

Was this rushed? Are the other Chase HQ ports like this one?

Mishran

Quote from: guest on 06/25/2013, 05:40 PM
Quote from: Mishran on 06/25/2013, 03:52 PMHas anyone played this 2-player? Does it add anything to the game's fun factor?
P.S. - you suck for not liking ze big adventure.  :P
I know, I'm a traitor to the Bonk loving community. :)

The first two just has a higher replay value to me than 3. The levels just seem uninspired; built around the size changing gimmick added to the game. Never said I didn't like it actually, just not one of my "picks" from the library.

Update: Just finished Bonks Adventure... again. :) The more challenging of the three games.

esteban

geise

Yeah I could never really get into Bonk 3 that much either.  It just seemed something was missing.  I also wasn't "huge" on the size changing aspect.  Also, the music in Bonk 3 annoys the hell out of me for some reason.  I just don't care for the music in the 3rd installment.

I've been in sort of a dungeon crawler mood as of late.  I've been playing Sword of Vermillion on Genesis and I also just started to play Dungeon Master on the Turbo SCD.  Been a long time since I played Dungeon Master.  I always liked the little cut scene intro they added to the turbo version.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: geise on 06/26/2013, 07:28 AMYeah I could never really get into Bonk 3 that much either.  It just seemed something was missing.  I also wasn't "huge" on the size changing aspect.  Also, the music in Bonk 3 annoys the hell out of me for some reason.  I just don't care for the music in the 3rd installment.
Bonk 3 multiplayer is pretty excellent!!

For myself I got in some decent time in Legendary Axe II (I'm wondering if I had ever beaten it now, cause I'm seeing parts that I just cannot remember!)  Last night I got in some L-Dis and finding it more fun each time I pop it in!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mishran

Quote from: guest on 06/26/2013, 01:21 PMShape Shifter here.  First time I've ever played it.  Trying hard to like it, but the combination of controls and tiny flying respawning insectoid annoyances are making it tough to love right out of the gate.  Gonna stick with it for a bit, though!  Might have to load translated Ladysword on the everdrive for a change of pace. (:
Shapeshifter can definitely be a brutal game at first. I just finished it myself not long ago, and as such I feel your pain. :wink:

Just keep at it and remember to save often and practice, practice, practice with the controls (especially the panther). Pace yourself and try not to rush through any area in the game or your gonna get yourself killed. Abuse the eclipse since it fully heals you every 10 minutes or so. If your close to dying, find a safe place to wait and walk away for a visit to the pot for a good shit or to knock off a quicky, get a bite to eat, grab a beer, hit the forums here to update us onyour progress, etc. Come back and continue playing with full health.

I personally "cheated" by playing through it on an emulator with save states to get myself familiar with the game before tackling it head-on on real hardware. Once you finish it and see the end credits roll, you'll find yourself feeling pretty good. :) The game is excellent once you've gotten yourself comfortable with the controls and its many quirks.

MrFlutterPie

I finally acquired my AV cords and have been playing Buster Bros.  I got the SNES version a whim a little while ago and I loved it so I had to get the proper version ;)

seieienbu

Riding the Bonk train, playing the first.

bob

Battle Royale for about an hour last night. What an odd control scheme the way you have to utilize the Select button so much. Silly game.

PunkCryborg

Saint Dragon
First level music ROCKS

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/26/2013, 01:21 PMShape Shifter here.  First time I've ever played it.  Trying hard to like it, but the combination of controls and tiny flying respawning insectoid annoyances are making it tough to love right out of the gate.  Gonna stick with it for a bit, though!  Might have to load translated Ladysword on the everdrive for a change of pace. (:
The best way to handle the flying insectoids is to transform into the Frog (Kermito-San if you have the Japanese version).  :pcgs:

Mishran

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2013, 10:37 AMhe says "owfff" like a little girl whenever they so much as land on him.
You'd be crying like a little girl too if you had them crawling under your loin cloth and biting your little man.

esteban

Quote from: galam on 06/27/2013, 08:39 AMBattle Royale for about an hour last night. What an odd control scheme the way you have to utilize the Select button so much. Silly game.
Ha! Listen to all the "taunts" and tell me which one is your favorite.

Does my favorite (Executioner) literally say "I kill you!" ?

Somebody else says "I bite you!" ?

I can't remember now. Sadly, I used to yell these phrases at my neighbors a few years ago, but my feeble brain has forgotten them now.

fraggore

Just got my turbo everdrive roll on parasol stars and override and my be a little magical chase.

Good times.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

bob

Quote from: esteban on 06/27/2013, 11:08 AM
Quote from: galam on 06/27/2013, 08:39 AMBattle Royale for about an hour last night. What an odd control scheme the way you have to utilize the Select button so much. Silly game.
Ha! Listen to all the "taunts" and tell me which one is your favorite.

Does my favorite (Executioner) literally say "I kill you!" ?

Somebody else says "I bite you!" ?

I can't remember now. Sadly, I used to yell these phrases at my neighbors a few years ago, but my feeble brain has forgotten them now.
YOU DIE!

I also love how they make the managers fight to select a wrestler.
Silly game.

geise

MrFlutterPie

After reading the thread on here awhile back I started to play Parasol Stars.  OMG is it ever good!  I just recently got Bubble Bobble for the DS so this was great timing.

MrPoppy

Just got Alien Crush, going to be playing this for quite a while. It's always been one of my favorite Turbo games but this is the first time I've ever actually owned it. Anyone ever get the max score?
Looking for:
US Pac-Land manual

RoyVegas

Quote from: MrPoppy on 06/28/2013, 04:31 PMJust got Alien Crush, going to be playing this for quite a while. It's always been one of my favorite Turbo games but this is the first time I've ever actually owned it. Anyone ever get the max score?
Can't speak for the max score but theres always room on the highscore thread.  It hasn't been updated in awhile but it's there.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9647.0
All is well. :)

Mishran

Quote from: MrPoppy on 06/28/2013, 04:31 PMJust got Alien Crush, going to be playing this for quite a while. It's always been one of my favorite Turbo games but this is the first time I've ever actually owned it. Anyone ever get the max score?
I've never been good at pinball, but still love playing it. Both alien and devil's crush are grand. Never get old.

Nec.Game.head

I've been getting my Splatter House fix today. This game never seems to get old or boring. I'm definitely loving the scary horror music. Great stuff !!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

MrFlutterPie

I LOVE splatterhouse!!!  Each level always feel so fresh and original.

Plus it has the most imaginative boss ever a possessed room!

seieienbu

...splatterhouse you say, sounds like my afternoon is booked!

Sparky

Digital champ.. Was just testing to see if it works... An hour later :P

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/30/2013, 09:28 AM...splatterhouse you say, sounds like my afternoon is booked!
Hell yeah! :D

seieienbu

Splatterhouse seems much easier as an adult.  I had the most trouble with it as a kid, I honestly don't think that I've ever beaten it before...  I'll play it again another time, I'm sure.

RoyVegas

Played Raiden for a bit.  Love everything about it and always have other than the fact that when you die and lose your power ups, you're pretty much fucked.  Lol
All is well. :)

MrPoppy

Finally beat Parasol Stars with the good ending last night. I lucked into a rainbow bracelet in an early level to get the 99 continues, definitely wouldn't have done it without that. The last two worlds are HARD. Very cool game, makes me want to hunt down Rainbow Islands now.
Looking for:
US Pac-Land manual

hoobs88

Quote from: MrPoppy on 07/01/2013, 12:01 PMFinally beat Parasol Stars with the good ending last night. I lucked into a rainbow bracelet in an early level to get the 99 continues, definitely wouldn't have done it without that. The last two worlds are HARD. Very cool game, makes me want to hunt down Rainbow Islands now.
=D> Now you'll have to keep playing and try to beat my high score! (see signature)
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

seieienbu

I never beat Parasol Stars, perhaps I'll get to it at some point this week.

Bardoly

Well, after a month-long hiatus from here and all things PC Engine (due to an extreme work schedule), I popped in a couple of games last night.

I played through the first couple of stages of Raiden and realized that I need to play it some more before the Raiden tournament at VGS next week.   ](*,)

Then I popped in GotzenDiener for the first time.  (I had recently gotten it from The Old Rover, but hadn't had a chance to try it out yet.)  I ended up playing through the entire game.

/8nlc.jpg

/7otn.jpg

/8fab.jpg

My thoughts on this interesting game are as follows:  (This is what I would have posted on PCE Daisakusen! if it weren't 425 characters over the 2,000 character limit for comments.   #-o  )

While I did enjoy this action/adventure/puzzle/RPG/something hybrid game, I only rated this as a '6' out of 10.  If the controller could handle moving the character better within the restrictions of the overhead isometric view, I would rate this as an '8'.  The game engine could really use a character which can move in 8 directions rather than only in 4 directions (which happen to be diagonally only).  So, again, a '6' on a 10-point scale is above average, even though many people may treat a '6' as below average.  (We're not using the public schools' grading system here.  :p  )

Other than that, the game is not bad, although some many of the areas seem to be underpopulated, but since the game does give off a very good feel of loneliness, perhaps this is a good thing.  I must say that this emptiness does seem to fit the storyline pretty well, which is as follows:

Note:  Spoilers ahead!

Princess Misa has been taken/given to the Demon God temple/castle on his island to be sacrificed.  An army of brave soldiers attacks the island and the (large) temple/castle.  After fighting all of the way through the castle killing all monsters in sight, the tattered remnants of the army reach the top floors of the temple/castle only to meet more monsters.  One sole survivor of the army makes it to battle the Demon God who is hold Princess Misa.  This brave warrior/prince? bears the Valiant Sword and does battle with the Demon God.  After an arduous fight, the warrior slays the Demon God, only to succumb to the wounds he had received over the course of the long battle.  This leaves Princess Misa alone with her savior's sword in a temple/castle ravaged by warfare with only a few sparse monsters who have eluded the battle to block her way.  She must find her way out, though, because the temple/castle is a maze, and many of the passageways have been blocked with rubble from the battle.  This gives the developers the opportunity to put puzzles in the gameplay.

Understanding this viewpoint, that the game is supposed to feel rather lonely and deserted, I must give the developers props, because I got this feeling and felt it all of the way through the game.  Yes, the action side of me would have appreciated a few more monsters to deal with and a little more polish in both the movement and the fighting, but I definitely appreciate this game.  I would definitely recommend this game to PC Engine gamers.

turboswimbz

Great review.  This is actually a game I really enjoyed.  The control is a bit of a problem at times it is true.  But my real problem is that it just feels unfinished, like there should be some puzzels to overcome or a few more rooms with enemies.  Just something to slightly build up your excitment to the end.  I personally think the game is a 7/10.  The charm of the thing just stands out to me, in the end, and I don't mind the flaws too much.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!