RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboswimbz

1000th game sack reply!  :D 8) Also I always really wanted actraiser :(
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

c0ldb33r

I'd like a God mode only sequel. Basically the opposite of Act raiser 2.
Member of the F@ck EBAY Club

Xak

I like Game Sack better when they cover the retro stuff. Not a fan of the newer systems. The magazine ep was cool
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Xak on 09/12/2013, 06:29 PMI like Game Sack better when they cover the retro stuff.
Seconded
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Tatsujin

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/12/2013, 06:38 PM
Quote from: Xak on 09/12/2013, 06:29 PMI like Game Sack better when they cover the retro stuff.
Seconded
Thirded
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

turboswimbz

Quote from: Tatsujin on 09/12/2013, 08:25 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/12/2013, 06:38 PM
Seconded
Thirded
What's Fourth art thou game sack?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

VenomMacbeth

Also, give that sack some beans.  I miss the fart. :lol:
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

cabbage

Mr. GameSack For President!

choijimmy

I just found out game sack recently ( sorry for late ). Really really love it  :D  Thanks Game Sack!

TR0N

Game Sack-Games that Time Forgot
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

Quote from: choijimmy on 09/14/2013, 02:33 PMI just found out game sack recently ( sorry for late ). Really really love it  :D  Thanks Game Sack!
As penance, watch 80 episodes in a row, today.

Your soul will be cleansed; God will finally smile upon you.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

munchiaz

Another good ep. I wish Astal would get a new game

Psycho Punch

Gumshoeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Nintendo, revive it on touch control consoles please.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Mathius

I remember Bug being featured on the VHS Saturn Promo tape Sega sent everyone back in '94-'95. I never ended up playing the game but I will always remember being kinda intrigued by the platforming mechanics.

I laughed so *hard* when I saw Stunt Racer FX getting *violently slammed* into the SNES. I am still laughing typing this.

esteban

Star Fox was so awesome...I still don't understand how Stunt Racer FX was ever released....

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 09/19/2013, 05:50 PMStar Fox was so awesome...I still don't understand how Stunt Racer FX was ever released....
Star Fox had atmosphere to spare. Stunt Racer not so much. Star Fox was programmed by Argonaut which was famous in Europe for a wire-frame space game called Starglider. I hear that Starglider, "Reeked of atmosphere" as stated by our friend Sunteam during a Wibble podcast. That atmosphere definitely poured over into Star Fox.

I think with a few more months of polish Stunt Racer FX might have been loads better. Or they could have waited for the Super FX Chip 2.

VenomMacbeth

I wonder if it's an issue of frame rate as well.  Star Fox controls well enough to make the slow-ish frame rate workable, but I'm not sure the same can be said for a racing game.  Virtua Racing on the Genesis moves at a smoother frame rate than even Star Fox & benefits greatly from it.  I wonder if it's a fault of the Super-FX chip or the SNES' processor.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/19/2013, 11:38 PMI wonder if it's an issue of frame rate as well.  Star Fox controls well enough to make the slow-ish frame rate workable, but I'm not sure the same can be said for a racing game.  Virtua Racing on the Genesis moves at a smoother frame rate than even Star Fox & benefits greatly from it.  I wonder if it's a fault of the Super-FX chip or the SNES' processor.
Yes, I know what you mean. The illusion of speed (or lack thereof) is a crucial make-or-break element to a racing game. Tight controls, to follow....

ToyMachine78

Quote from: choijimmy on 09/14/2013, 02:33 PMI just found out game sack recently ( sorry for late ). Really really love it  :D  Thanks Game Sack!
I just found game sack too. It's great! Finally someone gives the turbo some love. I love AVGN, but do not know why he never really covers turbo games. Theres plenty of shit games to choose from. Long live the sack!

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 09/21/2013, 08:53 AMTheres plenty of shit games to choose from.
You suck.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2013, 11:07 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/21/2013, 08:53 AMTheres plenty of shit games to choose from.
You suck.  :P
Not as much as Night Creatures, Yo Bro!, Darkwing Duck, Tailspin, Impossimole, Falcon, Gunboat etc :-D
--DragonmasterDan

majors

But bad obey is still better than any SNES/Genny. A 1 out of 10 Hu is still a 11 compared to Square SNES RPG or Treasure Genesis platformer. We must all have blind loyalty to Turbo...the one true god! Blasphemy to all other false consoles! So say we all.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Tatsujin

well said majors lee!! you just got yourself 6 million karmas!!
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PunkCryborg

Just curious where game channels like yourself get stuff like the opening music from. Obviously you get a lot of views now and you have to be very careful about copywrite issues. Did someone you know make that or is it like some public domain stuff (don't know much about this sort of thing)?
Also do you have to worry about what kinds of music and footage is ok to show on your shows? I know some game shows have had videos pulled from music in the game or even footage of the game itself causing issues. I recall in the one with ridge racer on 3do you guys couldn't have the music playing.

ToyMachine78

OMG! gunboat is the worst. I own that POS! The actual gameplay looks like it came from the Atari 2600 lol

Psycho Punch

Quote from: majors on 09/23/2013, 03:32 PMBut bad obey is still better than any SNES/Genny. A 1 out of 10 Hu is still a 11 compared to Square SNES RPG or Treasure Genesis platformer. We must all have blind loyalty to Turbo...the one true god! Blasphemy to all other false consoles! So say we all.   
Yep, never played famous franchises like Zelda but I've beaten all Gunboat missions, my life mission is already fulfilled.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2013, 11:10 PM
Quote from: majors on 09/23/2013, 03:32 PMBut bad obey is still better than any SNES/Genny. A 1 out of 10 Hu is still a 11 compared to Square SNES RPG or Treasure Genesis platformer. We must all have blind loyalty to Turbo...the one true god! Blasphemy to all other false consoles! So say we all. 
Yep, never played famous franchises like Zelda but I've beaten all Gunboat missions, my life mission is already fulfilled.
If you've never played a Zelda game, you're really missing out.  Kudos for beating all the Gunboat missions, though!  That's one I don't own yet, but I  don't think I'd have your patience to get very far in it. :D

Joe Redifer

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 09/23/2013, 10:25 PMJust curious where game channels like yourself get stuff like the opening music from. Obviously you get a lot of views now and you have to be very careful about copywrite issues. Did someone you know make that or is it like some public domain stuff (don't know much about this sort of thing)?
Also do you have to worry about what kinds of music and footage is ok to show on your shows? I know some game shows have had videos pulled from music in the game or even footage of the game itself causing issues. I recall in the one with ridge racer on 3do you guys couldn't have the music playing.
I had a friend do the title music. And yes, I tossed him a bit of $$$, not that he asked for any. The rest of the music is videogame music. One episode had a clip of a popular song which I used to make fun of a bad version of After Burner but the clip was so short that Youtube didn't care. Also had a quick clip of Back to the Future 3 in our Light Gun episode but again Youtube didn't care... too quick.

Konami is a little bitch, though. Try uploading the stage 1 theme from NES Castlevania. It'll get flagged or at least recognized. Even if you record it from your very own NES. Crazy ol' Konami.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/24/2013, 03:48 AM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 09/23/2013, 10:25 PMJust curious where game channels like yourself get stuff like the opening music from. Obviously you get a lot of views now and you have to be very careful about copywrite issues. Did someone you know make that or is it like some public domain stuff (don't know much about this sort of thing)?
I had a friend do the title music. And yes, I tossed him a bit of $$$, not that he asked for any. The rest of the music is videogame music. One episode had a clip of a popular song which I used to make fun of a bad version of After Burner but the clip was so short that Youtube didn't care. Also had a quick clip of Back to the Future 3 in our Light Gun episode but again Youtube didn't care... too quick.

Konami is a little bitch, though. Try uploading the stage 1 theme from NES Castlevania. It'll get flagged or at least recognized. Even if you record it from your very own NES. Crazy ol' Konami.
Did Sega ever flag you back when they were flagging everyone's videos?

Xak

I love GameSack.I like it better than AVGN because its more educational. Even if its about something I already know about its awesome. I just hate when they review current gen games. Like I dont know about that and neither do all the 12 year olds in the world
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

TR0N

Game Sack The Sega 32x
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

Quote from: TR0N on 09/29/2013, 02:34 AMGame Sack The Sega 32x
Why watch the Giants when Sunday is best spent with Game Sack?

retroguy

I need to get a 32X. I guess I'm just weird like that, but ever since I started getting into retrogaming seriously, I've always been more attracted to the "underdog" consoles that no one really seems to care about (and hence have cheaper games because "collectors" are ignoring them). SMS, Intellivision, Game Gear, etc).
I am bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.

munchiaz

sirhcman

Quote from: esteban on 09/29/2013, 05:00 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 09/29/2013, 02:34 AMGame Sack The Sega 32x
Why watch the Giants when Sunday is best spent with Game Sack?
Yea I definitely prefer watching Game Sack over Eli Manning getting sacked! :)

Also I was on the fence about gamesack for the first 15-20 episodes but since then it has become my favorite game related series on youtube. Consistent new episodes, great production values, and a constant adherence to sticking with a great formula. It doesn't pretend to be something that it isn't which I really appreciate. Keep up the great work Joe and Dave!

Hopefully Joe sees this... Will there ever be a 'behind the scenes' or 'making of' gamesack episode? Would love to follow the journey in creating a full episode!

BlueBMW

I saw John Elway in this episode so it is automatically awesome.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Mathius

Hopefully I'll get to this episode tonight or tomorrow night. I am still on the fence with this much maligned system. If I could be guaranteed a copy of Blackthorn I might bite and get one. Star Wars Arcade and Shadow Squadron look cool too. And there's the best port of Virtua Racing. Damn! Maybe I *should* get one.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: sirhcmanHopefully Joe sees this... Will there ever be a 'behind the scenes' or 'making of' gamesack episode? Would love to follow the journey in creating a full episode!
I'd like to... maybe. The thing that holds me back is that I've read comments from other people stating that they just couldn't get into AVGN any more after watching his making-of episode because it somehow "destroyed the illusion". But still it might be fun to do.

VenomMacbeth

I was just getting ready to ask you guys when you were gonna cover the 32x. :D  Fantastic!

I was wondering, though...is there any chance that the characters in Blackthorne are actually polygonal & not pre-rendered sprites?  I ask because the game seems to experience some slowdown when there are about 4-5 characters on-screen...
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Mathius

Okay finally watched it. I had no idea there were that many games available for the system! Shocker!

Let me pick your brain for a minute, Joe. On the 32X's sound chip.... Do you know which chip is used in games like Space Harrier and After Burner for the music? Is the sound emulating the arcade somehow? And as for the majority of 32X games is the Genesis' Yamaha soundchip used at all?

Joe Redifer

Blackthorne is all pre-rendered, it's just not very optimized. Not a lot of people knew how to properly program for the 32X, I don't think.

For Space Harrier, I think the Genesis does the percussion and bass and the 32X does everything else. Or maybe the Genesis does everything BUT the percussion and the bass, can't remember. In After Burner the 32X does all of the sound. I have a recording somewhere of JUST the 32X audio on some games. The Genesis' sound chip is used almost exclusively in most 32X games. Cosmic Carnage, for example, is 100% Genesis sound and music. Same with Shadow Squadron. Knuckles' Chaotix uses the 32X only for the drums. The 32X is simply programmed to sound like the arcade game they're running. No emulation. Probably not powerful enough. But you can make it sound however you want. It can even play .MOD files and I think .XM files. But not MP3, no way.

Mathius

So basically they split the workload on the arcade conversions. They did a good job. The Sega System 16 arcade board has, in my opinion, the greatest and most memorable FM synth audio processor in history. It's too bad Sega's choice in Yamaha FM chips to power the MD's sound output couldn't replicate that kind audio quality. It happened with the 32X though it seems.

What processor exactly outputs the 32X's sound when it is used? One of the Hitachi 32-Bit chips?

Tatsujin

hitachi 32-bit chips usually do not output any musics. They have used either the same or a similar yamaha FM chip set (like the YM2151), used for the older sega boards.

but it's strange, I can't find any usefule information about it. even wiki japan only states that there were 2 additional FM channels added to the x32 supporting the the Mega drives 6 channels.

if it were a YM2151 or similar, it would have at least like 6 more channels.

Mathius

I didn't think the 32-Bit Hitachi chips outputted sound but I wasn't sure. In any case I doubt we saw the 32X's sound capabilities pushed very hard. Makes me long to hear what it could do.

Joe Redifer

All 32X-generated sound is sample-based PWM. You can make it sound like anything you want, just like your PC's sound card can (with the right instructions). And yes, one of the Hitachis runs the sound. It depends on the individual game. Many 32X games have their game logic run by the Genesis' 68000. Some of them (like Doom or After Burner) one of the Hitachis runs the game logic. The slave Hitachi in this scenario is likely driving the PWM sound. In Doom's case I believe the Z80 is driving the sound since it's mostly 2612. It all depends on how the game was made. I'm not sure if the Z80 or the 68000 can drive PWM sound from the 32X or if the 32X always has to do it itself (like in Doom when some of the sound effects come from the 32X). I could ask a 32X programmer if you like.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/30/2013, 11:29 PMAll 32X-generated sound is sample-based PWM. You can make it sound like anything you want, just like your PC's sound card can (with the right instructions). And yes, one of the Hitachis runs the sound. It depends on the individual game. Many 32X games have their game logic run by the Genesis' 68000. Some of them (like Doom or After Burner) one of the Hitachis runs the game logic. The slave Hitachi in this scenario is likely driving the PWM sound. In Doom's case I believe the Z80 is driving the sound since it's mostly 2612. It all depends on how the game was made. I'm not sure if the Z80 or the 68000 can drive PWM sound from the 32X or if the 32X always has to do it itself (like in Doom when some of the sound effects come from the 32X). I could ask a 32X programmer if you like.
So the Hitachi's DID generate sound! Yes, ask that programmer. This is extremely interesting.

Tatsujin

joe, you're talking about driving the sound, but what did generate the output in the end? which was the question.
space harrier is all YM2151 sounding, even tho there is no YM2151 to be found in there?

ApolloBoy

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/01/2013, 02:20 AMjoe, you're talking about driving the sound, but what did generate the output in the end? which was the question.
space harrier is all YM2151 sounding, even tho there is no YM2151 to be found in there?
Space Harrier originally used the YM2203, which the YM2612 is somewhat based on.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

My favorite feature of the 32X wasn't mentioned. Running games on it makes the composite video from the Genesis look better on most Genesis models.
--DragonmasterDan

Tatsujin

hahaha.. so your favorite output is composhite too? :P