The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

Ahh Summer Carnival 93... love that one!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

JapanTokei

Mo' Gun -> glad to see the Summer93' made it in its pristine minty condition across the world.  I see you've bagged her :)  Enjoy the game and give her a nice new home!!

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/19/2013, 12:41 AMMy most recent pickups all pristine condition!

Obey games thanks to fellow forum members and the PlayStation games were from Goodwill!

majors

Cheapies from GS: /IMG_20131020_213554.jpg

It was a challenge to find 2 games on their 2 for $10 recent promo, even harder to find anything CIB at Gamestop.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

NecroPhile

Class of Heroes 2, set free from its plastic prison:

IMG

And I'm lucky number 69.  Giggity.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

whisper2053

Unpacking of my shiny new PSX :D

PSX Unpack

Quick look at the XMB navigation and a brief look at the game that the seller packed in with it:

Better Version of PSX Navigation
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

xcrement5x

Very cool grab on the PSX.  I saw them for sale when I was in Japan back in 2005 or so and they look really sleek.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

FiftyQuid

Bought this today off a co-worker for a fiver.  I opened it up when I got home and there wasn't an ounce of crud on it.  No grungy sweaty build up, no dust, no marks, no pubes, not even any seminal fluid.  I'm guessing this unit was bought, connected and then put back in the box until now.  I can even see the factory bends in the cabling still.  Also included was a trashy Euro music CD by EIFFEL 65.  I'll be putting that one up for raffle.  :wink:

/7lhc.jpg

I've never owned a PS1.  Without using Google, anyone care to fill me in on which model this is and where it fits in the different versions of the PS1 out there?  Any notable games I should not miss out on that are PS1 specific?  Keep in mine I like my games linear.  :)

I won't be a PS1 collector, but I am a large PS3 fan.  It's nice to have this in my little gameroom.  :)
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

roflmao

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 10/21/2013, 09:05 PMI've never owned a PS1.  Without using Google, anyone care to fill me in on which model this is and where it fits in the different versions of the PS1 out there?  Any notable games I should not miss out on that are PS1 specific?  Keep in mine I like my games linear.  :)

I won't be a PS1 collector, but I am a large PS3 fan.  It's nice to have this in my little gameroom.  :)
Congrats!  I can't tell which model you have (maybe someone else here can).  Is there a port on the back-right side?  I think they removed that from later models.  If there is a port there, you may be able to hunt down a device that will allow you to play cd-rs and other region games, though I don't know how easy those devices are to come by these days.  Honestly, I play all my PS1 games on my PS2, so my PS1 just sits in storage these days.

Off the top of my head, Castlevania: SotN, the Jumping Flash games, Parappa the Rapper, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy IX and The Raiden Project still get a fair amount of gameplay from me. I never had a very large library for the PS1, though.

PikachuWarrior

Dual Shock PS1's came out a year or two after the original PS1 came out. Basically adding in the dual joysticks on the controllers. Kind of strange remembering when the PS1 came out with the nub-less controllers!
IMG

Mathius

What is your model number, Fifty?

ElSeven

IMG

picked up this mini-saturn shaped game case the other day.  are these common?  i haven't seen these before.

and prikura daisakusen as well.
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

bob

Quote from: guest on 10/21/2013, 09:22 PM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 10/21/2013, 09:05 PMI've never owned a PS1.  Without using Google, anyone care to fill me in on which model this is and where it fits in the different versions of the PS1 out there?  Any notable games I should not miss out on that are PS1 specific?  Keep in mine I like my games linear.  :)

Congrats!  I can't tell which model you have (maybe someone else here can).  Is there a port on the back-right side?  I think they removed that from later models.  If there is a port there, you may be able to hunt down a device that will allow you to play cd-rs and other region games, though I don't know how easy those devices are to come by these days.  Honestly, I play all my PS1 games on my PS2, so my PS1 just sits in storage these days.

Off the top of my head, Castlevania: SotN, the Jumping Flash games, Parappa the Rapper, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy IX and The Raiden Project still get a fair amount of gameplay from me. I never had a very large library for the PS1, though.
Right. Also there is a model that uses standard A/V inputs in the back, but you have the one where the A/ V uses the propriety connector like the PS2 models. Not sure which one was first.  I think the standard A/V was the first run.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Mathius on 10/22/2013, 12:57 AMWhat is your model number, Fifty?
I'll check tonight and report back.

Quote from: galam on 10/22/2013, 08:25 AMRight. Also there is a model that uses standard A/V inputs in the back, but you have the one where the A/ V uses the propriety connector like the PS2 models. Not sure which one was first.  I think the standard A/V was the first run.
Yes, it has the proprietary connector.  Looks similar to the PS3 actually.

xcrement5x

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 10/22/2013, 09:04 AMYes, it has the proprietary connector.  Looks similar to the PS3 actually.
It's actually the same connector, you can use the same AV cables on any PS device.  I swap mine back and forth all the time when testing systems. 

I also got these yesterday evening:
IMG
2013-10-21 Pickups by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Lethal Enforcers II: The Western, Mega CD Box Set (also comes with massive registration sheet)
Sonic The Hedgehog
Mortal Kombat
Shadow Blaster
Burning Force
Columns
Arnold Palmer: Tournament Golf
SHOVE IT!
Altered Beast

Lethal Enforcers was thankfully a domestic pickup so I didn't have to pay crazy shipping from Japan.  It's complete with all the stuff as far as I can tell and I love the box art on it.  The sly coquettish look of that female gunslinger just draws you in. :D

The Genesis games were a bundle pickup from ebay, all are complete with instructions.  I actually grabbed everything because of Burning Force, but Shadow Blasters and SHOVE IT! look pretty interesting too. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 10/22/2013, 12:07 AMDual Shock PS1's came out a year or two after the original PS1 came out. Basically adding in the dual joysticks on the controllers. Kind of strange remembering when the PS1 came out with the nub-less controllers!
They came out around 3 or 4 years after the Playstation came out.

The dual shock pad itself didn't arrive until either very late 1997 or early 1998 (three years later). I think the bundle came out in 1998, so 3 or 4 years later depending on where you live.

Added in edit: That's a later in lifespan original Playstation design model. After that came the smaller and slimmer PSone which launced around 2000 if I recall correctly.
--DragonmasterDan

jeffhlewis

Shadow Blasters is awesome - great soundtrack.

Opethian

IMG

NecroPhile

The mailman handed me copies of Seiya Monogatari and its mook yesterday.  Sexy!

SuperPlay

I may have gone a little overboard with my recent Amiga magazine purchases (with some copies of games master thrown in!).  However they were bargains ;-)

/kdul.jpg
/83hn.jpg
/px18.jpg

roflmao

Quote from: ElSeven on 10/22/2013, 03:58 AMIMG

picked up this mini-saturn shaped game case the other day.  are these common?  i haven't seen these before.

and prikura daisakusen as well.
That's pretty slick!  I haven't seen those before either.  I love crazy stuff like that. :)

VenomMacbeth

IMG

The Genesis games were a gift from my aunt, who found them at a yard sale for $1 a piece.  They're in excellent condition and all CIB, some with posters. :D

Soul Star is an amazing game.  It really shows the mostly untapped potential the Sega CD had.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Mathius

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/22/2013, 03:03 PMIMG

The Genesis games were a gift from my aunt, who found them at a yard sale for $1 a piece.  They're in excellent condition and all CIB, some with posters. :D

Soul Star is an amazing game.  It really shows the mostly untapped potential the Sega CD had.
Boxed Outrun. Nice! Yes Soulstar is a damn cool game. I can't really get comfortable with the controls during the mecha levels though.

munchiaz

Here is my recent stuff, and this might be it for a long time, as i just got hit with student loan repaymets :(

IMG

JapanTokei

Enjoy it Necro!  Glad to hear it made it safe and my custom made magazine-backbone held up well in intl shipping :)

Quote from: guest on 10/22/2013, 11:33 AMThe mailman handed me copies of Seiya Monogatari and its mook yesterday.  Sexy!

NecroPhile

I think it could've survived an Ace Ventura delivery the way you packed it.  :mrgreen:

FiftyQuid

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/22/2013, 03:03 PMIMG

Man, the boxed Aladdin looks minty!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 10/23/2013, 11:08 AMMan, the boxed Aladdin looks minty!
It's a little dented inward on the back, but for $1 I'd say so!
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

bob

For some reason, I like those late model genny boxes.

jeffhlewis

IMG

The "take" from Octurbofest - thanks to Beemer for the x68000 midi board and the 8MB ram upgrade. The beast is complete!

Final Fight CD and Gauntlet IV also from Beemer, Bikkuriman World and Energy (ugh) from Windy Gaming.

Silent Scope 2 was a thrift pickup; only decent thing I've seen at my local Goodwill in over a year.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 10/23/2013, 11:41 PMIMG

The "take" from Octurbofest - thanks to Beemer for the x68000 midi board and the 8MB ram upgrade. The beast is complete!

Final Fight CD and Gauntlet IV also from Beemer, Bikkuriman World and Energy (ugh) from Windy Gaming.

Silent Scope 2 was a thrift pickup; only decent thing I've seen at my local Goodwill in over a year.
You left out the Sega PAC.
--DragonmasterDan

SuperDeadite

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 10/23/2013, 11:41 PMIMG

Welcome to the world of MIDI, now you too can spend an insane sum for professional level synth modules, mixers, amps, and speakers.  I think I've spent more on my custom MIDI setup then I have on the computer, almost double lol.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Nando

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/24/2013, 11:08 AMWelcome to the world of MIDI, now you too can spend an insane sum for professional level synth modules, mixers, amps, and speakers.  I think I've spent more on my custom MIDI setup then I have on the computer, almost double lol.
What does your current setup contain?

jeffhlewis

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/24/2013, 11:08 AMWelcome to the world of MIDI, now you too can spend an insane sum for professional level synth modules, mixers, amps, and speakers.  I think I've spent more on my custom MIDI setup then I have on the computer, almost double lol.
I brought my shiny new Roland SC-55 to Octurbofest, then immediately realized that I had forgotten speakers and a splitter cable. Beemer and I had to run to a computer store to pick up some Logitech speakers to test out the card with.

I actually want to keep my setup nostalgic - just stereo speakers like in the old PC days. I've run retro systems through my 7.1 home theater setup and I'm actually not a huge fan of doing it that way.

I do, however, really want to buy an old 486 and run the old Roland MT-32 games like Wing Commander.

SuperDeadite

The SC-55 is good for purists, but for me the whole point of MIDI is too make things sound as awesome as possible, hence the good old 55 just doesn't cut it.

Nando I use: Yamaha MU2000EX + PLG150-DR (GM and GS games) and a Roland CM-64 (LA games) as my main setup.  Also have a few odd devices like a Yamaha SY22 for the one game that supports it.  Still have all my old modules as well (CM-500, TG100, SC-55mkII, M1FR..) but they are more nostalgia pieces at this point.

IMG

Joe Redifer

The X68000, the only system with a bigger footprint (especially in cubic footage) than the LaserActive once you start counting all of the extra devices you need.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/24/2013, 12:31 PMThe X68000, the only system with a bigger footprint (especially in cubic footage) than the LaserActive once you start counting all of the extra devices you need.
Technically you don't need any of them.  They are optional.  These days it's become cool to hate on the MIDI and just use the FM only for a lot of people.  For me it really depends on the game, sometimes the FM is better, sometimes the MIDI is better.  Hence I like having options.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/24/2013, 12:08 PMThe SC-55 is good for purists, but for me the whole point of MIDI is too make things sound as awesome as possible, hence the good old 55 just doesn't cut it.

Nando I use: Yamaha MU2000EX + PLG150-DR (GM and GS games) and a Roland CM-64 (LA games) as my main setup.  Also have a few odd devices like a Yamaha SY22 for the one game that supports it.  Still have all my old modules as well (CM-500, TG100, SC-55mkII, M1FR..) but they are more nostalgia pieces at this point.
You also have presumably much easier access to acquire said devices, heh.

Do you have any posted examples of some of the higher end midi modules in operation? Would love to hear the difference.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 10/24/2013, 12:49 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/24/2013, 12:08 PMThe SC-55 is good for purists, but for me the whole point of MIDI is too make things sound as awesome as possible, hence the good old 55 just doesn't cut it.

You also have presumably much easier access to acquire said devices, heh.

Do you have any posted examples of some of the higher end midi modules in operation? Would love to hear the difference.
Hmm, yes I think I do :P  Check my channel for more, here's just a few highlights.
Gemini Wing Roland CM-64+SN-U110-07 Electric Guitar PCM X68000
[X68000] Group X MIDI Yamaha SY22 & TG33

Opethian

Gemini wings rox!! midi fo sho on that one/
IMG

Nando

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/24/2013, 12:49 PMFor me it really depends on the game, sometimes the FM is better, sometimes the MIDI is better.  Hence I like having options.
Love that about retro gaming. Thanks for posting your setup. That's impressive.

Your machine has the SD setup correct?

VenomMacbeth

I think I might need to start saving for a peke...
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Nando on 10/24/2013, 03:16 PM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/24/2013, 12:49 PMFor me it really depends on the game, sometimes the FM is better, sometimes the MIDI is better.  Hence I like having options.

SD setup?  Do you mean Compact Flash card?  Yes of course, I'm one of the few people left that is actively dumping otherwise totally lost games, such as Direct-X and Space Soldier II.  :)

VenomMacbeth

I got a sega saturn you guys!

IMG
:lol:

IMG

Seriously though, I needed a new ride & hopefully this will do nicely.  Just gotta get a hang of driving a manual...
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Nando

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/25/2013, 05:21 AM
Quote from: Nando on 10/24/2013, 03:16 PM

SD setup?  Do you mean Compact Flash card?  Yes of course, I'm one of the few people left that is actively dumping otherwise totally lost games, such as Direct-X and Space Soldier II.  :)
There we go CF setup. I'm sure others have asked but how's the x68k retro scene in JP?

roflmao

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2013, 03:39 PMI got a sega saturn you guys!

IMG

Seriously though, I needed a new ride & hopefully this will do nicely.  Just gotta get a hang of driving a manual...
Haha!  Awesome.  Once you get the hang of a manual transmission, you'll never want to go back to automatic.  At least not until you have kids. :D

Nando

Quote from: guest on 10/25/2013, 04:51 PM

IMG

Haha!  Awesome.  Once you get the hang of a manual transmission, you'll never want to go back to automatic.  At least not until you have kids. :D
or if your commute has a lot of stop and go traffic.

wildfruit

Got an rgb scart cable from fidde_se. Works great I'd recommend it if your set up is hu card only and don't want to mod your pce/tg-16

Mathius

Level-5 and Square all-stars! I haven't played either DQ VIII or Dark Cloud yet. The Level-5 games were good deals off eBay and local game store respectively. Chrono Trigger was a gift/donation. A reunion of sorts. Thanks goes to a good friend of mine. You know who you are.  :wink:

/IMG_20131026_193027_zps17375ba5.jpg

Sparky

IMG

IMG

Great cars man, I have over 400,000 on my manual sc2 2003 coupe Saturn and it is going strong. I love the sticker why did I not think of that hahaha.