OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcrement5x

Man, that Twin Fami looks nice Beemer! 

Congrats on the XHE-3 too Punki.  Time for Forgotten Worlds analog style 8)

This pretty cool LD player at the thrift at the thrift near me dropped to $15, I'm torn on whether to drop the cash on it as that would be like the 5th LD player in my house.  :?
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

esadajr

get it, you can never have enough spare LD players, the ultimate format
Gaming since 1985

BlueBMW

Drive works and I got three games with it.

super lode runner, falsion and doki doki panic

Ironically I have precisely zero famicom carts hehe
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Opethian

IMG

DragonmasterDan

This arrived in the mail today from a TwinFami owning friend.

I have a QD model with a scuffed up screen but this is a nice original model, with the box and some games with it too.

IMG
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/19/2015, 02:15 PMDrive works and I got three games with it.

super lode runner, falsion and doki doki panic

Ironically I have precisely zero famicom carts hehe
Quote from: Opethian on 03/19/2015, 03:55 PMget an powerpak or an N8
What Ope said. I'm planning on getting one too for the pricier games. It'll play FDS games too.

Falsion is a neat little Space Harrier clone with that typically awesome Konami music. It's a cheapie too which helps.

SuperDeadite

Falsion must be played with the 3D Glasses.

DO IT NAO
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

BlueBMW

Can I use my master system glasses running on a master system while playing it?  I've got the famicom 3d adapter somewhere but I dont think that would work on the twin fami.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Lochlan

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 03/19/2015, 09:29 PMFalsion must be played with the 3D Glasses.

DO IT NAO
Can you see 3d successfully?  It's never worked for me, I have the same experience as this guy: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236401-falsion-with-the-famicom-3d-system/

Pretty disappointing as Falsion is cool game that would really benefit from the 3d.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

shawnji

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/19/2015, 03:33 AMGot this in a trade....

IMG

Also picked up some Laseractive hardware and some Sega CD games.  Yippee! :/
Wow.  I've actually never seen one in the box.  Nice job on that one.

I sold my Twin Famicom back to Super Potato in Akihabara where I bought it from originally.  It was an unfortunate choice made at a time when I had more pressing concerns on my mind.  I only had a handful of games, most of which I sold back as well.  Still have my copy of Doki Doki Panic, oddly enough.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/20/2015, 02:13 AMCan I use my master system glasses running on a master system while playing it?  I've got the famicom 3d adapter somewhere but I dont think that would work on the twin fami.
?  The famicom 3d adapter plugs into 15 pin expansion controller port.  It works just fine on the TwinFamis.  Exact same tech just in a different case...

And yes I can see 3D effects quite well.  :)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

tknjin

Quote from: guest on 03/17/2015, 10:50 AMI got this pile of PC-FX goodies last Friday.  The bulk of it came from eBay for $511 shipped, with the BMP as a surprise bonus not mentioned in the auction description, and the duplicate copies of Ah! My Goddess and Voice Paradise were bought from xele before I knew about the big lot.

IMG

Jewel cases from left to right: Last Imperial Prince, Ah! My Goddess, Zoku Hatukoi Monogatari, Blue Breaker, Classmates 2, Zeroigar, Ruruli Ra Rura, Welcome to Pia Carrot, Megami Paradise II, Chip Chan Kick!, and Ah! My Goddess.
Clamshells from top to bottom: Voice Paradise, Battle Heat, Yuna FX, JB Harold - Blue Chicago Blues, Der Langrisser FX, Return to Zork, Voice Paradise, and Zenki.
Holy crap you got Zenki for the PC-FX!  That is uber sweet man :)  I have been very curious about the PC-FX, but dunno as of yet if I want to start a collection for it.

NecroPhile

PC-FX is one that people should test drive extensively via emulation before jumping in.  Its slim library definitely ain't for everyone, so far too often people end up disappointed and reselling soon after buying.

That's probably what happened with this seller, so I guess it worked out nicely for me.  :mrgreen:

Yesterday's mail brought me a copy of Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God - Hot and Spicey, Everything Nicey Limited Edition for Vita.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

InfraMan

Quote from: guest on 03/20/2015, 10:44 AMYesterday's mail brought me a copy of Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God - Hot and Spicey, Everything Nicey Limited Edition for Vita.
Heh, I think that's definitely one of the stranger Limited Editions to ever be released in the US. I passed on it back when it first came out (because, you know... I don't really need a spoon and bib), but maybe I'll pick it up now that it's cheaper.

The game itself actually looks pretty interesting.

xcrement5x

Quote from: InfraMan on 03/20/2015, 12:26 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/20/2015, 10:44 AMYesterday's mail brought me a copy of Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God - Hot and Spicey, Everything Nicey Limited Edition for Vita.
Heh, I think that's definitely one of the stranger Limited Editions to ever be released in the US. I passed on it back when it first came out (because, you know... I don't really need a spoon and bib), but maybe I'll pick it up now that it's cheaper.

The game itself actually looks pretty interesting.
It's actually supposedly a Madou Monogatari game in some way, but no Arle.  I had it on my list at Amazon for a long time and finally bit the bullet when it dropped in price again since it's Vita TV compatible as well.  It looks pretty fun, too so I'm hoping to dig into it relatively soon.

I did pick up that old Pioneer LD player from the thrift for $15.  It's pretty baller for something from 1989.  Double-sided playback so no disc flipping.  Also, since it's so old (but still works) it actually plays LA discs too!  I put in DoraDora last night but got this weird playback messing around with it.  But my LD of "To Die For" worked fine.

And I just got the goodies from mrhaboobi in, yay!  Thanks again sir. :)
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

dingsbums

IMG
IMG

And sadly these two are not working at the moment  :? :cry:.
IMG

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 03/20/2015, 10:44 AMPC-FX is one that people should test drive extensively via emulation before jumping in.  Its slim library definitely ain't for everyone, so far too often people end up disappointed and reselling soon after buying.
I couldn't agree more on that assessment. Magic Engine does a superb job emulating the PCFX (at least with Welcome to Pia Carrot).

My impression is the PC-FX is heavy on visual novels. You gotta be a (hardcore) fan of said genre and know a bit of japanese to truly enjoy the system. IMO

Some visual novels can be real fun, too bad some geniuses decided americans "don't get it".
Gaming since 1985

synbiosfan

Quote from: esadajr on 03/20/2015, 06:21 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/20/2015, 10:44 AMPC-FX is one that people should test drive extensively via emulation before jumping in.  Its slim library definitely ain't for everyone, so far too often people end up disappointed and reselling soon after buying.
I couldn't agree more on that assessment. Magic Engine does a superb job emulating the PCFX (at least with Welcome to Pia Carrot).

My impression is the PC-FX is heavy on visual novels. You gotta be a (hardcore) fan of said genre and know a bit of japanese to truly enjoy the system. IMO

Some visual novels can be real fun, too bad some geniuses decided americans "don't get it".
That's where this place really helped me out. I had been eyeing a PC-FX for a while and reading people's comments made me reconsider. I easily could have been an idiot with buyer's remorse. I still may pick one up down the road but my current backlog makes it a low priority.

tknjin

it looks like you picked up a lot of things dingsbums.  I am surprised you barely picked up Shienryu, I would have though you would have had it for quite some time.

shonenx

That's probably what happened with this seller, so I guess it worked out nicely for me.  :mrgreen:

Holy Cow !!! congrats !!!
You're Already Dead !!!

richc

Obey from the mailman today!

IMG

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: richc on 03/21/2015, 10:45 AMObey from the mailman today!
You bastard, how much did you pay for that Neuterpia?

Also, I got me a copy of Gomola Speed in the mail today, Esteban.  Looking forward to figuring this one out, it looks crazy.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 03/21/2015, 12:09 PM

Also, I got me a copy of Gomola Speed in the mail today, Esteban.  Looking forward to figuring this one out, it looks crazy.
You will like that Gomola Speed is a simple concept, but with nice little refinements added (power-ups and abilities broaden your repertoire of strategies) as you progress.

But, you might also curse the fact that this game can give you blisters as you desperately spin in circles. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PunkCryborg

Quote from: esteban on 03/21/2015, 12:23 PM

You will like that Gomola Speed is a simple concept, but with nice little refinements added (power-ups and abilities broaden your repertoire of strategies) as you progress.

But, you might also curse the fact that this game can give you blisters as you desperately spin in circles. :)
I bet gomola speed would be awesome to play with a Neo Geo CD controller

richc

More than I wanted ugh, but the seller is about an hour away from my house and runs a used game shop.  Probably going to take a road trip down there in a couple of weeks.

shawnji

It sounds crazy, but I just bought my first TG game ever.  I'd never played the Turbo as a kid, and I didn't discover it until I was in Japan so I, of course, started buying PCE games instead.  Lately, however, I've been feeling like I want to collect Turbo stuff too, mostly because I'm still sore that I missed out on it during my childhood and I want to recapture the experience.  That being said, I just bought this for about $45.

IMG

I can't make up my mind if I want to open it, though.  I think I do, but darn it, it's so hard to make myself when it looks so pristine after all this time and I can't afford stuff like this that often.

jtucci31

Don't go without playing Cosmic Fantasy 2! It's fantastic. Tear that shrink wrap right off and get going. It'll look better having been played :wink:

Medic_wheat

IMG

IMG

Found something sweet to be a topper for my budding Sega Shelf.

Mathius

Quote from: shawnji on 03/21/2015, 07:32 PMIt sounds crazy, but I just bought my first TG game ever.  I'd never played the Turbo as a kid, and I didn't discover it until I was in Japan so I, of course, started buying PCE games instead.  Lately, however, I've been feeling like I want to collect Turbo stuff too, mostly because I'm still sore that I missed out on it during my childhood and I want to recapture the experience.  That being said, I just bought this for about $45.

IMG

I can't make up my mind if I want to open it, though.  I think I do, but darn it, it's so hard to make myself when it looks so pristine after all this time and I can't afford stuff like this that often.
Just look at it this way. A few years ago that game was going for about $15 brand new on eBay regularly.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Mathius on 03/21/2015, 08:28 PM
Quote from: shawnji on 03/21/2015, 07:32 PMIt sounds crazy, but I just bought my first TG game ever.  I'd never played the Turbo as a kid, and I didn't discover it until I was in Japan so I, of course, started buying PCE games instead.  Lately, however, I've been feeling like I want to collect Turbo stuff too, mostly because I'm still sore that I missed out on it during my childhood and I want to recapture the experience.  That being said, I just bought this for about $45.

IMG

Just look at it this way. A few years ago that game was going for about $15 brand new on eBay regularly.
So in another 50 years it will be worth $100. Profit 😏

shawnji

Quote from: guest on 03/21/2015, 07:43 PMDon't go without playing Cosmic Fantasy 2! It's fantastic. Tear that shrink wrap right off and get going. It'll look better having been played :wink:
Well, I've played through the Japanese version already, but yeah... I'm gonna' do it.  I just need to set up a camera to document the opening. Hopefully by the time I'm 70 or so I'll have enough money to have a complete in shrink-wrap Turbo collection! XD

I actually have a shrink-wrapped copy of Top wo Nerae! Vol. 2 for the PCE that I should open too...

esteban

Quote from: shawnji on 03/21/2015, 08:58 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/21/2015, 07:43 PMDon't go without playing Cosmic Fantasy 2! It's fantastic. Tear that shrink wrap right off and get going. It'll look better having been played :wink:
Well, I've played through the Japanese version already, but yeah... I'm gonna' do it.  I just need to set up a camera to document the opening. Hopefully by the time I'm 70 or so I'll have enough money to have a complete in shrink-wrap Turbo collection! XD

I actually have a shrink-wrapped copy of Top wo Nerae! Vol. 2 for the PCE that I should open too...
Oh, you definitely will enjoy the US dub of Cosmic Fantasy 2. It is really nice done. :)

I know folks complain about the encounter rate in old games, but you already played the Japanese version so you know what you are getting in to.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

shawnji

Quote from: esteban on 03/21/2015, 10:22 PMOh, you definitely will enjoy the US dub of Cosmic Fantasy 2. It is really nice done. :)

I know folks complain about the encounter rate in old games, but you already played the Japanese version so you know what you are getting in to.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty stoked to try it out.  I know a lot of people aren't fond of the way Working Designs sometimes took liberties with their translations, but I always felt like they really did a good job for the resources they had and for the time period.

I did open it up, by the way, but I have to ask:  Is the CD label supposed to look like it was printed at 20dpi and have the characters from Cosmic Fantasy 1 on it?  I'm half-worried I bought a reproduction or something...

EDIT:  An hour in and already people are talking about hemheroids, setting up local chapters of AA, and referencing Gilligan's Island...  Yep, it's a Working Designs translation alright! :D

Also, it's pretty cool that you can use the same save file between both the English and Japanese versions of the game.  Neat!

bob

Quote from: shawnji on 03/21/2015, 08:58 PM...Hopefully by the time I'm 70 or so I'll have enough money to have a complete in shrink-wrap Turbo collection! XD
Uh, why?

xcrement5x

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/21/2015, 08:24 PMIMG

IMG

That looks pretty dope!  Its that metal?

shonenx

Quote from: shawnji on 03/22/2015, 01:51 AM
Quote from: esteban on 03/21/2015, 10:22 PMOh, you definitely will enjoy the US dub of Cosmic Fantasy 2. It is really nice done. :)

Yeah, I'm actually pretty stoked to try it out.  I know a lot of people aren't fond of the way Working Designs sometimes took liberties with their translations, but I always felt like they really did a good job for the resources they had and for the time period.

I did open it up, by the way, but I have to ask:  Is the CD label supposed to look like it was printed at 20dpi and have the characters from Cosmic Fantasy 1 on it?  I'm half-worried I bought a reproduction or something...

EDIT:  An hour in and already people are talking about hemheroids, setting up local chapters of AA, and referencing Gilligan's Island...  Yep, it's a Working Designs translation alright! :D

Also, it's pretty cool that you can use the same save file between both the English and Japanese versions of the game.  Neat!
Glad to hear you opened it games should be played especially good ones !
You're Already Dead !!!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 03/22/2015, 02:58 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 03/21/2015, 08:24 PMIMG

IMG

Yes it is one solid pice of metal. Heavy to. The back has these cool tounge and groove bit to slot into a display cabnite with screws to hold it in place. Just don't have any idea what type of display it would have originally gone to.

That looks pretty dope!  Its that metal?

sirhcman

Picked these up over the weekend... Also got Bubble Bobble (not pictured) for NES

IMG

xcrement5x

Nice!  I have an SNES ascii pad and love that thing.  Super solid.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 03/23/2015, 11:13 AMNice!  I have an SNES ascii pad and love that thing.  Super solid.
Yea I have one from when I originally got my SNES (1992-ish). Always loved that pad.. now I have two! :)

sirhcman

The USPS lady came bearing gifts today  :dance:

IMG

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: guest on 03/23/2015, 02:45 PMThe USPS lady came bearing gifts today  :dance:

IMG
damn, she bearing some good gifts on saturn goodness

cr8zykuban0

pickups from last week
 IMG

this weeks pickups!
IMG

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 03/23/2015, 02:45 PMThe USPS lady came bearing gifts today  :dance:

IMG
Great picks, especially Satan Bonbaman and Dinamyte Deka
Gaming since 1985

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 03/23/2015, 03:31 PMpickups from last week
 IMG
Jinmu Densho, The Kung-Fu, AND Mystery of Convoy?  You must really be a masochist...
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Sparky

This march break i picked up a few things.
ha, there are lots of extra things to see in this picture, but some are related to buys.

IMG

VenomMacbeth

THERE'S A FIFTH ELEMENT GAME!?

Is it any good?
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

jtucci31

I'm jealous of that Die Hard Arcade. It's at the top of my most wanted Saturn games. I've played the actual arcade game before and it's a lot of fun having John McClane fight robots, lol. I might just settle for a cheaper JP copy of the game (if there is one. I forget offhand)

cjameslv

Very nice got those except that awesome bomberman! Get a good deal on it i hope?

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 03/23/2015, 05:33 PM
I'm jealous of that Die Hard Arcade. It's at the top of my most wanted Saturn games. I've played the actual arcade game before and it's a lot of fun having John McClane fight robots, lol. I might just settle for a cheaper JP copy of the game (if there is one. I forget offhand)
There is.. its called Dynamite Deka and can be had for a fraction of the price (under $20 shipped if memory serves correctly)

It is a super fun game, can't wait to play through it again! :D