@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whisper2053

IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

bob

/games/trifecta.jpg[/img]

GC came with mario kart, zelda, ikaruga, and sunshine
NES came with mario 3
CDX came with 40 lose carts and discs.  nothing worth mentioning

VenomMacbeth

Welcome to the CDX club, Galam.  :) Enjoy all 5-6 good Sega CD games lol
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 05/21/2015, 01:08 PMWelcome to the CDX club, Galam.  :) Enjoy all 5-6 good Sega CD games lol
I like the Sega CD library considering how small it is.

Lunar 1, Lunar 2, Popful Mail, Snatcher, AH3 Thunderstrike, Sonic CD, Android Assault, Keio's Flying Squadron are all great. Then there's a lot of not quite great but good games like Dark Wizard, Flink, Prize Fighter (the best live action FMV game I can think of), Batman Returns (well at least the driving levels) among many others.
--DragonmasterDan

bob

sol feace and silpheed are good too.
batman returns was one of the discs it came with
Final Fight is the best home port made.

VenomMacbeth

Haha my comment was mostly in jest.  I agree with you, but unfortunately a lot of the good games (Snatcher, anything Working Designs) are way out of my price range.

There are quite a few more affordable games I want that I've yet to acquire though, such as Android Assault (mostly because I can't decide between the U.S. & JP versions), Final Fight, Devastator, Rebel Assault...probably some others I'm forgetting. 

For now, I have 9 games, and the only ones I ever play are the Core ones (Thunderstrike, Battlecorps, Soul Star) and Sonic CD.  My 32x gets more love, oddly enough...
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: agent_orange on 05/21/2015, 01:47 PMsol feace and silpheed are good too.
batman returns was one of the discs it came with
Final Fight is the best home port made.
Sol Feace is also on the Genesis, lacks the awesome redbook soundtrack though. As a game I think it's okay, but the music is just stellar.

I totally forgot about Silpheed, definitely a good game. I actually really like The Amazing Spider-Man vs Kingpin but I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 05/21/2015, 01:59 PMThere are quite a few more affordable games I want that I've yet to acquire though, such as Android Assault (mostly because I can't decide between the U.S. & JP versions), Final Fight, Devastator, Rebel Assault...probably some others I'm forgetting. 
Unless you have JP hardware or a Mega Everdrive to switch CD regions, stick with the US version as Mega-CDs are region locked.

Sega CD love is a good thing.  I'm a huge fan of the system and it's library, it actually had a lot of western development done for it which makes a unique library of games.  Popful Mail is obviously a great ARPG and my favorite game on the system, but Terminator is solid and for all its campiness so is Ground Zero Texas.

Oh, and the Genesis version is Sol DEACE, the Sega CD version is Sol FEACE.  I dunno why.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 05/21/2015, 03:22 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 05/21/2015, 01:59 PMThere are quite a few more affordable games I want that I've yet to acquire though, such as Android Assault (mostly because I can't decide between the U.S. & JP versions), Final Fight, Devastator, Rebel Assault...probably some others I'm forgetting. 
Unless you have JP hardware or a Mega Everdrive to switch CD regions, stick with the US version as Mega-CDs are region locked.

Sega CD love is a good thing.  I'm a huge fan of the system and it's library, it actually had a lot of western development done for it which makes a unique library of games.  Popful Mail is obviously a great ARPG and my favorite game on the system, but Terminator is solid and so is Ground Zero Texas.

Oh, and the Genesis version is Sol DEACE, the Sega CD version is Sol FEACE.  I dunno why.
I got me a Tototek Mega Cart; I can play whatever I want!

I've already got Dennin Aleste, Sol Feace, and Ninja Warriors.

I forgot to mention Terminator.  The price for that one seems to be creeping up...

Is Demolition Man any good?
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 05/21/2015, 03:22 PM

Sega CD love is a good thing.  I'm a huge fan of the system and it's library, it actually had a lot of western development done for it which makes a unique library of games.  Popful Mail is obviously a great ARPG and my favorite game on the system, but Terminator is solid and for all its campiness so is Ground Zero Texas.

There are ways around the region lockout for the sega-cd.Everdrive,Megacart or region mod the sega-cd.I had a member here,put in a bios that's been hacked to be region free.So far it works great for me.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SuperDeadite

Well I got tired of messing around with scalers and 20 year old CRTs that tend to have random issues.  So I said fuck it and bought this beast.  Truly brand new (manufactured in 2014) true flat auto trisync arcade monitor.  Very expensive I'll admit, but I couldn't be more pleased.

IMG

Connections Box
IMG

Testing with the X68000

31khz
IMG

24khz
IMG

15khz
IMG
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Medic_wheat

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 05/22/2015, 10:14 AMWell I got tired of messing around with scalers and 20 year old CRTs that tend to have random issues.  So I said fuck it and bought this beast.  Truly brand new (manufactured in 2014) true flat auto trisync arcade monitor.  Very expensive I'll admit, but I couldn't be more pleased.

IMG

Connections Box
IMG

Testing with the X68000

31khz
IMG

24khz
IMG

15khz
IMG
I didn't know they still made new arcade monitors.  How did you order this by the way?

SuperDeadite

I live in Japan.  Due to arcades still being alive here there are still a few Japanese arcade suppliers that have batches made every few years or so.  This beast is 29'' and weighs 105lbs, you wouldn't want to try importing one overseas...

xcrement5x

Damn deadite, that is amazing. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

cjameslv

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 05/22/2015, 10:14 AMWell I got tired of messing around with scalers and 20 year old CRTs that tend to have random issues.  So I said fuck it and bought this beast.  Truly brand new (manufactured in 2014) true flat auto trisync arcade monitor.  Very expensive I'll admit, but I couldn't be more pleased.

IMG

Connections Box
IMG

Testing with the X68000

31khz
IMG

24khz
IMG

15khz
IMG
That is awesome! You have an enclosure to put it in or a cab? A candy cab....sorry starting to drool

DragonmasterDan

IMG

Connections Box
IMG

Testing with the X68000

31khz
IMG

24khz
IMG

15khz
IMG
Was the connections box included or seperate? Does the box have ports for speakers?
--DragonmasterDan

CPTBadAss

IMG IMG

I got Klax the other day for very cheap XD. It's really fun. I never tried it until I saw it at Galloping Ghosts.
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.

esteban

Superdeadite.

JESUS

F*CKING

CHRIST
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SuperDeadite

Candy cabs look nice, but take up too much space and are kind of a pain to connect other things too besides arcade games.  The monitor is mounted in a big wooden box.  So very easy and totally safe to rotate, plus I can easily use this for consoles, computers, and arcade games.

The connection box was sold separately, but you get a discount if you order both as a bundle.  It has RCA jacks for audio output on the side.

munchiaz

Wow, that monitor is really nice Deadit

Medic_wheat

Dude I think you just got a lot of people wanting to order some import fees be dambed lol

MotherGunner

IMG

Connections Box
IMG

Testing with the X68000

31khz
IMG

24khz
IMG

15khz
IMG
Went to check out the website, and also saw this...I want it.

https://sv35.wadax.ne.jp/~mobile-accessory-net/104_1476.html
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

NightWolve

Nice! May the love of CRT never die. ;)

BigusSchmuck

IMG

Connections Box
IMG

Testing with the X68000

31khz
IMG

24khz
IMG

15khz
IMG
Ok, I'm going to ask, how much did you get this for? And if you were to import it via slow boat from china how much? lol

SamIAm

I'm guessing it's this:

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d165889512

Hey SuperDeadite, I would love to see some shots of screens from the 240p test suite on that thing. The checkerboard pattern is maybe the most stressful, and the color bleed check is really good to see as well. The backlit zone test is maybe the best to use to check the corners for convergence accuracy as well.

I believe that the Sony KV-29DX650, which was only ever released in Japan in 2003, is the best consumer level gaming CRT ever released. It doesn't do 24khz or VGA, but it's got an RGB input, and it does really well at those tests. It does not do perfectly, however, and I would love to see how that thing stacks up. If it aces those tests, I just might try and get one.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: SamIAm on 05/23/2015, 03:46 AMI'm guessing it's this:

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d165889512

Hey SuperDeadite, I would love to see some shots of screens from the 240p test suite on that thing. The checkerboard pattern is maybe the most stressful, and the color bleed check is really good to see as well. The backlit zone test is maybe the best to use to check the corners for convergence accuracy as well.

I believe that the Sony KV-29DX650, which was only ever released in Japan in 2003, is the best consumer level gaming CRT ever released. It doesn't do 24khz or VGA, but it's got an RGB input, and it does really well at those tests. It does not do perfectly, however, and I would love to see how that thing stacks up. If it aces those tests, I just might try and get one.
Yes it's one of those, but if you go through his website and not yahoo, it's a bit cheaper, and he also will give you a another discount if you buy the TwinSync as well.  The yahoo auctions are more like advertisements then anything else.

As for the best CRT, that's a difficult question.  Some people really love the super thick scanlines on Nanao's and Sonys.  This actually doesn't have those, in 15khz mode it looks a lot more like a classic dual-sync arcade monitor.

As for myself, I adore the X68000 and FM Towns computers, these need to have a tri-sync monitor for 100% compatibility.  Some X68000 games actually use 31khz for menus and 15khz during the gameplay, switching back and forth.  So it's tri-sync, or XPC-4.

I also love my SuperCassetteVision which will not work on a Sony TV without a buffer which nobody makes anymore.  (Read Tokyo RGB Hospice for more info).  And I have arcade boards like Xexex, which don't work on Sonys either (picture just rolls and rolls)

For my interests, this monitor with the TwinSync is simply ideal.   In the end it really comes down to what you actually want to play.  I'm happy to try this test thing though if you could supply some links.

SamIAm

If you have a flashcard for any number of systems, or even if you just own a Mega CD, you can run one of these:

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite
(scroll down for links to downloads)

Like I mentioned, the "checkerboard" pattern is probably the meanest one. If your set can do that perfectly, that would be amazing. The "color bleed check" pattern, and the "backlit zone test" moved via d-pad from the center to the corners, are also essential. Of course, any other patterns you want to check would be interesting as well.

The Sony KV-29DX650 actually doesn't have scanlines at all - it's an HDCRT. Yet while other HDCRT sets seem to convert 240p directly to 1080i (which is still much better than LCDs that do some crazy multi-stage conversion and throw away half the video content), this actually does true 240p. If you're curious, I'll take some shots.

SuperGrafx

Medic_wheat

SuperDeadite

Quote from: SamIAm on 05/23/2015, 10:01 AMIf you have a flashcard for any number of systems, or even if you just own a Mega CD, you can run one of these:

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite
(scroll down for links to downloads)

Like I mentioned, the "checkerboard" pattern is probably the meanest one. If your set can do that perfectly, that would be amazing. The "color bleed check" pattern, and the "backlit zone test" moved via d-pad from the center to the corners, are also essential. Of course, any other patterns you want to check would be interesting as well.

The Sony KV-29DX650 actually doesn't have scanlines at all - it's an HDCRT. Yet while other HDCRT sets seem to convert 240p directly to 1080i (which is still much better than LCDs that do some crazy multi-stage conversion and throw away half the video content), this actually does true 240p. If you're curious, I'll take some shots.
Sadly the only flash cart I own is for the MSX lol.  I have an RGB modded LaserActive for both SCD and PCE use.  Sorry but I will refuse to run CDRs in my LA.  So I have no way of doing this really.

SamIAm

Can any of your old PCs display .bmp files?

Here are four 256 color .bmp files of the same test screens, which are each sub-100KB. If you want them in a different format, I'll make them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32377930/tests.zip

(The "converge" one I made myself.)

I took just a couple shots of my TV so you can see what to look for. I used an RGB modded Supergrafx and the 240p test suite.

The backlit zone test - both shots are of a single small white square against an all black background. The first one has the square in the center of the screen, while the second one has it in the top right corner. The exaggerated red and blue around the edges you see in the corner shot are a problem of convergence. Basically, the three light guns in the CRT can aim at a center pixel more uniformly than they can at a corner pixel. If I put the white square in the top left corner, the problem roughly reverses. This has nothing to do with signal quality.

Center:
IMG
(This looks much nicer when you're not zoomed in so closely)

Top right corner:
IMG
(This only happens in the very corner of the screen. If I move it an inch toward the center, the effect nearly disappears)

Next, here's the checkerboard pattern. The first pic is of the center, while the second is of the center-right side.

Center:
IMG

Center-right, from slightly further away and at a slight angle:
IMG

Again, this is mostly a matter of the light guns being able to aim at the center of the screen more accurately than the sides.

I'd actually like to take a shot of a second TV I have, because it freaks out with this pattern even in component video (it doesn't have an RGB input). It actually tints the whole thing red, and although you can make out the black and white dots, it's not very uniform across the screen.

If you try and display this with a composite signal, or even an s-video signal under less than ideal circumstances, it's a mess. If your TV itself is not so good, it's a mess. I actually have a much cheaper Sony from around the same period that also has an RGB input, and it's still pretty bad. Truly, the checkerboard pattern is the toughest one for a setup to pass.

I can take shots of the color bleed test later, but it does pretty well with those. Only the blue is a little less sharp than the others.

xcrement5x

So there was a bundle of Genesis games that had been languishing on CL for a couple months at this point at a crazy price so I decided to send them an email and try to negotiate.  Lo and behold they were happy to wheel and deal and I got all these at a really solid price, not thrift store pricing, but still quite below retail for the entire lot combined. 

IMG
2015-05-22 Genesis Finds by xcrement5x, on Flickr

All but Bubsy are complete and many have extra promo bits.  There are a couple common dupes but I am super happy to finally have Hellfire and Steel Empire in my library.

1) Game Genie Video Game Enhancer: Cartridge only
2) Hellfire: Cartridge, Case, Instruction Manual, Warranty Card
3) Steel Empire: : Cartridge, Case, Instruction Manual
4) NBA JAM: Cartridge, Case, Instruction Manual, Warranty Card, Video Game Blockbuster Promo Poster
5) Sonic The Hedgehog 2: Cartridge, Case, Instruction Manual
6) Thunder Force III: Cartridge, Case, Instruction Manual
7) Super Baseball 2020: : Cartridge, Case, Instruction Manual, Electronic Art/Get a Clue Promo Poster
8) Virtual Pinball: Cartridge, Case, Instruction Manual
9) Bubsy II: Cartridge, Case

Medic_wheat

I only see three that interest me and they are all shooters. Lol.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/26/2015, 03:21 PMI only see three that interest me and they are all shooters. Lol.
I've been wondering about Hellfire and hadn't even heard of Steel Empire. Definitely would have picked up the lot for those two. Thunderforce 3 is tops. Sonic 2 and NBA Jam are pretty awesome, too, though.

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2015, 03:41 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/26/2015, 03:21 PMI only see three that interest me and they are all shooters. Lol.
I've been wondering about Hellfire and hadn't even heard of Steel Empire. Definitely would have picked up the lot for those two. Thunderforce 3 is tops. Sonic 2 and NBA Jam are pretty awesome, too, though.
Yeah, Hellfire was fun for a bit, but Steel Empire was the one I played the most so far.  A bit less punishing, and a fun steampunky feeling to it. I guess it originally started development as an adaptation of the anime movie Laputa: Castle in the Sky, but lost the licenses so they just made it into what it is now. 

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2015, 04:10 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/26/2015, 03:41 PM
Yeah, Hellfire was fun for a bit, but Steel Empire was the one I played the most so far.  A bit less punishing, and a fun steampunky feeling to it. I guess it originally started development as an adaptation of the anime movie Laputa: Castle in the Sky, but lost the licenses so they just made it into what it is now.
OK, it's going on the to-buy list!

NecroPhile

IMG

Generous ope sent me these goodies.  Now I gotta get me some batteries!  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Opethian

IMG

PunkCryborg

Mzo

Awesome!  You don't see Otocky come up very often.  Such an interesting game for the time.

Found Final Zone II and Last Alert locally.  Super excited for that voice acting.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Grandiloquence

Just snagged a copy of Sexy Parodius for the Saturn. Been a damaging last seven days for my bank account!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 05/27/2015, 11:15 AMIMG

Generous ope sent me these goodies.  Now I gotta get me some batteries!  :mrgreen:
Is that a multitap? I've not seen that one before.

SuperDeadite

Mathius

NecroPhile

It's bigger and heavier than I expected, and it doesn't even have batteries yet.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

xcrement5x

Quote from: NecroPhile on 05/28/2015, 10:33 AMIt's bigger and heavier than I expected, and it doesn't even have batteries yet.
That's what she said   8)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 05/27/2015, 01:20 PMIMG
Is that Layla game fun?  From what I have seen on YouTube videos it looks like a fun arcade like game where high scores would be fun to attempt.

MotherGunner

Quote from: guest on 05/28/2015, 11:01 AM
Quote from: guest on 05/28/2015, 10:33 AMIt's bigger and heavier than I expected, and it doesn't even have batteries yet.
That's what she said   8)
IMG
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

PCEngineHell

Purchases and what not from the past two months or so.

/2015-05-28%2019.39.37_zpslo22epp2.jpg
/2015-05-28%2019.43.28_zpsq4wnma9x.jpg
/2015-05-28%2019.45.08_zps2ir7p5tf.jpg

geise

Hell yeah!  Cheapies but goodies.  Nice Prof.