RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: agent_orange on 07/03/2015, 05:48 PMI picked this up today at a thrift store and it works. Has win 98 loaded.

/neclt.jpg
I didn't know the LT could run Windows!  Nice!
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Digi.k

Quote from: wilykat on 07/03/2015, 11:59 AMStand by Me the movie with 4 boys from about 30 years ago?  I have BD version and I think I still have DVD version to get rid of.  Region 1 if I find it, want it?  If it's different Stand by Me, sorry.
no not that 80's one. This one
IMG

wayback://centursoft.com/doraemon-stand-by-me-full-movie/

IMG

cr8zykuban0

this just in. this game now puts me at 70 aes titles!!!

IMG

vmorr

Some pickups today at a swap meet. I like to go to these things mainly to check out the imports but I'm hesitant to buy them at the same time because I have no idea what the going rates are for most of these games. Gotta read more into this stuff.

/2hzk2f4.jpg

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: vmorr on 07/05/2015, 07:54 PMSome pickups today at a swap meet. I like to go to these things mainly to check out the imports but I'm hesitant to buy them at the same time because I have no idea what the going rates are for most of these games. Gotta read more into this stuff.

/2hzk2f4.jpg
What are these "swap meets" of which you speak?  I rarely find imports even at the local game stores :(
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

vmorr

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 07/05/2015, 10:51 PMWhat are these "swap meets" of which you speak?  I rarely find imports even at the local game stores :(
Every few months someone sets up an event at a hall, rents out tables to different stores in the area and usually a handful of collectors too. A couple collectors I've seen a couple times now usually have a lot of loose PCE games specifically but I don't know much about the library so I never pick anything up #-o but there's always a few people with a stack of imports for most consoles. Seen some of everything except Megadrive and PS2 today. Guess people in Southern Ontario like to import lol

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: vmorr on 07/05/2015, 07:54 PMSome pickups today at a swap meet. I like to go to these things mainly to check out the imports but I'm hesitant to buy them at the same time because I have no idea what the going rates are for most of these games. Gotta read more into this stuff.

/2hzk2f4.jpg
shit, you actually get imports at your swap meets? all we get in my area are either stupid overpriced mario games and sun damaged games

Mathius

^^What is that bottom Saturn game?

vmorr

Quote from: Mathius on 07/06/2015, 12:18 AM^^What is that bottom Saturn game?
"6 Inch My Darling", sounded like a weird game lol

Mathius

vmorr

Quote from: Mathius on 07/06/2015, 01:06 PMOh, one of them games huh?
Probably, I can't find much on it. Here's a short description:

"6 Inch My Darling Description: This is a dating game in which you chaperone one of three 6-inch tall fairies from another world as they go about exploring your world."

xcrement5x

IMG
Manic Game Girl - Korean Exclusive PS1 Game by xcrement5x, on Flickr

So this is a pretty uncommon (possibly even RARE :P ) game.  I had seen it awhile back on a JP site for a cheapish price with no indication as to condition so I jumped on it and it showed up today.  Much to my surprise, despite some slight staining to the manual and obi it looks to be in quite nice shape.  It even came with the registration card which I've never seen before. 

It is a PS1 Korean region exclusive title, but looks like it plays fine on Japanese PS units.  Due to the Korea only release, not a lot of copies are seen, I had only heard about the game from talking to cabbage and SuperDeadite about it. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Mathius

^^What kind of game is it, xele?

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 07/06/2015, 04:29 PM^^What kind of game is it, xele?
Exactly. If it isn't a shootemup, then I don't give a damn.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

turboswimbz

Quote from: Mathius on 07/06/2015, 04:29 PM^^What kind of game is it, xele?
QuoteKorean exclusive Playstation game from 2002! Kind of a Shenmue-lite I suppose. It's sort of a celebration to gamer/otaku culture. Lots of references to many other games. Neat idea, but the combat is rather annoying due to very stiff controls, lining up attacks is rather difficult. Can be enjoyable in small spurts though.
Credit to Superdeadite of course.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

SuperDeadite

It's got some neat ideas, and sense of humor, but it's honestly quite terrible.  I bought mine as it was cheap and had pretty much no info at the time.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

xcrement5x

Yeah, my interest was piqued after watching SuperDeadite's video and talking with him about it for a bit.  I would be lying though if I said I didn't think it was a pure collectard piece, and I paid around what Deadite did for it as well I think.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

cabbage

The MGG 'staining' is pretty common. I guess they cheaped out on the packaging. The registration card seems to be made with higher quality paper :lol:

Glad you got it for a good price xele ;) It's a nice piece for a collection, but perhaps not such a nice piece for a gaming library nowadays. Too bad the English localization never saw the light of day... even if the gameplay isn't so great, there's still a fairly novel setting/story with quite a bit of fanservice.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 06/25/2015, 11:06 AMIt's not a game, but this recent buy is too awesome to not post whore.  :mrgreen:

IMG
Sorry for bringing up such an old post but I haven't checked out this thread in awhile.

Congrats, Necro! It's one of the pride and joys of my LD library, even if it's not a particularly valuable or rare gem.
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Mathius on 06/30/2015, 07:04 PM
Quote from: MotherGunner on 06/30/2015, 07:00 PMNice!  I just started playing PE again on my PS TV.  Game takes me back, though my wife used to complain I played with Aya more than I played with her!
Ha! I love PE. The music really nails that cyberpunk 90s vibe. Though I wish I could skip the cutscenes I've already watched.
I liked it as well, was Squaresoft-respectable quality for me. Anybody try the sequel ? I also bought it upon release, though it sits comfortably in my sad backlog for whenever...

bartre

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/08/2015, 07:19 PM
Quote from: MotherGunner on 06/30/2015, 07:00 PMNice!  I just started playing PE again on my PS TV.  Game takes me back, though my wife used to complain I played with Aya more than I played with her!
Ha! I love PE. The music really nails that cyberpunk 90s vibe. Though I wish I could skip the cutscenes I've already watched.
I liked it as well, was Squaresoft-respectable quality for me. Anybody try the sequel ? I also bought it upon release, though it sits comfortably in my sad backlog for whenever...
PEII was definitely more of an action game, iirc.
I don't remember it quite as fondly, but it's a solid enough game.

3rd birthday was also really fun on PSP

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/08/2015, 07:19 PMI liked it as well, was Squaresoft respectable quality for me. Anybody try the sequel ? I also bought it upon release, though it sits comfortably in my sad backlog for whenever...
Parasite Eve 2 is good as well. I still have yet to try Third Birthday even though I've had it a few years.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

I liked PE2 as well but it seemed a lot darker than the original.  Also, it felt like Square was trying to change the gameplay to make it more like Resident Evil than sticking with what made the original game so novel and fun.  I have yet to play 3rd Birthday as well, but have heard mixed things regarding it.

ClodBusted

I got my hands on Lego Jurassic World (Xbox 360) yesterday, and tonight I beat the Jurassic Park 1 story.

Man, that game is pure JP fanservice. The developers even managed to get the original actors involved to record additional lines.

vmorr

Picked up some more Saturn imports. One is new in the wrap, which is cool because I've never actually looked into what the spine cards were used for :? Still not sure why they were necessary?

/dzv1w7.jpg

sirhcman

Quote from: vmorr on 07/11/2015, 02:30 PMPicked up some more Saturn imports. One is new in the wrap, which is cool because I've never actually looked into what the spine cards were used for :? Still not sure why they were necessary?

/dzv1w7.jpg
Some quality Saturn titles right there! I have been meaning to pickup Gale Racer for awhile now.. let me know how it is :)

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2015, 05:57 PMI got my hands on Lego Jurassic World (Xbox 360) yesterday, and tonight I beat the Jurassic Park 1 story.

Man, that game is pure JP fanservice. The developers even managed to get the original actors involved to record additional lines.
I'm sure it's cut down and a bit less awesome, but I gotta get that for ze PSTV.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 07/11/2015, 03:34 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/10/2015, 05:57 PMI got my hands on Lego Jurassic World (Xbox 360) yesterday, and tonight I beat the Jurassic Park 1 story.

I'm sure it's cut down and a bit less awesome, but I gotta get that for ze PSTV.  :mrgreen:
I still don't understand why we haven't gotten an extraordinarily good Jurassic Park game for current or next-gen consoles. Imagine a JP game with gameplay and polish similar to Arkham Asylum or Alien Isolation. My penis usually ends up killing one of my neighbors whenever I think of such a game.

vmorr

Quote from: guest on 07/11/2015, 02:40 PMSome quality Saturn titles right there! I have been meaning to pickup Gale Racer for awhile now.. let me know how it is :)
Played it for 5 minutes so far. Seems like it's 97% English. The "story mode" is interesting, racing across the US in short timed segments where you start in last place and as you pass rival cars in one leg it carries over into the next. It's challenging with road obstacles like traffic and narrow or 2-way roads or a twisty road on a cliff (smh). Control is kinda sensitive but I figure it's something you get used to, although I don't have anything to compare it to. Also haven't tried the race wheel with it yet. Cool game.

Opethian

IMG

4hr drive in a truck luckily missed any rain.
IMG

sirhcman

Quote from: vmorr on 07/12/2015, 12:22 AM
Quote from: guest on 07/11/2015, 02:40 PMSome quality Saturn titles right there! I have been meaning to pickup Gale Racer for awhile now.. let me know how it is :)
Played it for 5 minutes so far. Seems like it's 97% English. The "story mode" is interesting, racing across the US in short timed segments where you start in last place and as you pass rival cars in one leg it carries over into the next. It's challenging with road obstacles like traffic and narrow or 2-way roads or a twisty road on a cliff (smh). Control is kinda sensitive but I figure it's something you get used to, although I don't have anything to compare it to. Also haven't tried the race wheel with it yet. Cool game.
Nice I need to order a copy from Japan! It's a cheapie too!! :D

xcrement5x

Damn Ope.  Baller mode unlocked. 

How heavy is that thing?

richc

Some obey and non obey today

IMG

Opethian

675 lbs
Quote from: guest on 07/13/2015, 01:19 PMDamn Ope.  Baller mode unlocked. 

How heavy is that thing?
675 lbs
IMG

bob

Quote from: bartre on 06/30/2015, 09:18 PM
fuck you.

Parasite eve is damned near perfect.
This thread inspired me to BIN Parasite Eve. Looking forward to playing it after i finish Vay.

bartre

Quote from: agent_orange on 07/14/2015, 08:49 AM
Quote from: bartre on 06/30/2015, 09:18 PM
fuck you.

Parasite eve is damned near perfect.
This thread inspired me to BIN Parasite Eve. Looking forward to playing it after i finish Vay.
disregard VAY, play Parasite Eve

o.pwuaioc

NecroPhile

TED 2 up in this bitch!  Now I gotta find a sd card to stuff in it.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MNKyDeth

I just ordered a Framemeister XRGB with the DT cable. Just 5min ago'ish.

I did the express shipping so 2-5days, I hope it's here during that time frame.

Now that I have this thing on the way I may look into recapping all my old consoles and RGB modding them as well. But my Duo was the first, you hear me!! My Duo is first! :)

Btw, 40,490 Yen is about $329.55 US FYI.

BigusSchmuck

I got the Mother 1+2 and Mother 3 repros. Been craving for some Earthbound/Mother as of late. Dunno why as I finished Earthbound back in the day on a weekend rental.

VenomMacbeth

IMG

I feel like I've probably talked about a couple of these already, but they are recent gets so I figured I'd show em off anyway.

Rez & Half-Life are repros.  They don't exactly look official, but they look okay nestled in with my other Dreamcast games.

Rez is an awesome game, but I find when I play it, I fall into a drowsy trance similar to highway hypnosis.  Deceptively difficult, too.

Half-Life is an incredible port.  The frequent load times, unstable frame rate & lack of a quick save option are a bit of a chore, but the fact that the game is running at all (and looks as good as it does) on the Dreamcast is something that endlessly amazes me.  So very glad I have the keyboard & mouse.

I haven't delved much into any of the other games yet, except for Sword of the Berserk.  I enjoyed that one, but holy hell it's got some long cutscenes.  The gameplay can get a bit repetitive, but I find that's par for the course in this genre.  I can dig it.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

VenomMacbeth

IMG

I feel like I've probably talked about a couple of these already, but they are recent gets so I figured I'd show em off anyway.

Rez & Half-Life are repros.  They don't exactly look official, but they look okay nestled in with my other Dreamcast games.

Rez is an awesome game, but I find when I play it, I fall into a drowsy trance similar to highway hypnosis.  Deceptively difficult, too.

Half-Life is an incredible port.  The frequent load times, unstable frame rate & lack of a quick save option are a bit of a chore, but the fact that the game is running at all (and looks as good as it does) on the Dreamcast is something that endlessly amazes me.  So very glad I have the keyboard & mouse.

I haven't delved much into any of the other games yet, except for Sword of the Berserk.  I enjoyed that one, but holy hell it's got some long cutscenes.  The gameplay can get a bit repetitive, but I find that's par for the course in this genre.  I can dig it.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is the pack-in disc that also comes with the 4-pak of Genesis games.  My stepdad found it while cleaning out the attic; presumably, it came with his old Sega CD (which has since disappeared from the material sphere). 

Oh, and I almost forgot, I upgraded to this guy since I had a late model Dreamcast that wouldn't play CD-Rs:

IMG

(No, I don't normally keep my consoles on the floor with the kitty.  I just felt like bothering her today.)
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

xcrement5x

So the slowboat of stuff I bought back in May FINALLY came in so it was fun to dig through it all.  I got three PCE lots out of Japan with some solid titles in them and some random VHS.

IMG
PC Engine Slowboat Lot - Part 1 by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Lots of games! 

Standouts here are:
Wataru (Keith Courage in the US)
PC Genjin
Hany
Street Fighter II
Space Harrier
R-Type
Dungeon Explorer
The KUNG-FU

IMG
PC Engine Slowboat Lot - Part 2 by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Even more games!

Standouts to me are:
Ys 1-2, 3, 4
Cobra 1 & 2 (dat azzzz)
Puyo Puyo CD
Future Boy Conan
Macross Eternal Love Song
Macross 2036

IMG
PC Engine Slowboat Lot - Part 3 by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Boxed PC Original PC Engine (no Turbos on the controller).  This was actually kind of a bonus, I had no clue that the included PCE was boxed when I bought the lot. 

Standouts:
Splatterhouse
Dragon Spirit
Genji Tsushin Agedama
Super Star Solider
Final Soldier
Bomberman 94

And the last (non-PCE stuff is):

IMG
Sega Video Magazine - 1994/12 and LaserActive Promo VHS by xcrement5x, on Flickr

I picked these up kind of randomly.  The LaserActive VHS was one I'd be wanting to find for awhile, there is also a LD version of it too.  The Sega Video Magazine was also this weird thing they did back in the day, it lasted from 1993 to 1998 which is kind of neat.  I figured it would be a cool thingy to add to my library.

STEALTH EDIT:  This also just showed up today from our favorite DoxPhile

IMG
Nully goods by xcrement5x, on Flickr

Radiant Historia for DS (yay!)

Tiger Road and Sinistron TG16 Manuals

And a Nulltard patented JO-KRYSTAL complete with necklace and rubberband, or maybe that's a cockring, I dunno.

vmorr

Bought some Sega Game Gear games today.

/nh04ep.jpg
/2l3r4h.jpg

I think there are around a dozen import and ~90 NA games with no doubles. Basically worked out to like $2 a game plus a working CIB console, 2 duds, soft bag, cool hard carry case, few power packs and a couple other accessories thrown in on top. Guy I bought it off of manages a local game store which usually sponsors a couple game swaps so was a pretty cool deal. Had every game listed out in his Kijiji ad which I wish I copied cause cataloging them is gonna take forever smh

jeffhlewis

Quote from: vmorr on 07/24/2015, 08:07 PMBought some Sega Game Gear games today.

/nh04ep.jpg

I think there are around a dozen import and ~90 NA games with no doubles. Basically worked out to like $2 a game plus a working CIB console, 2 duds, soft bag, cool hard carry case, few power packs and a couple other accessories thrown in on top. Guy I bought it off of manages a local game store which usually sponsors a couple game swaps so was a pretty cool deal. Had every game listed out in his Kijiji ad which I wish I copied cause cataloging them is gonna take forever smh
If you're not married to the idea of keeping either Last Bible or Coca Cola Kid, let me know ;)

Mathius

Are you going after a complete Game Gear set now, Jeff? :wink:

PunkCryborg

Traded some NES and Famicom RGB mod work with a cool dude from Neo Geo forum for a Game Tengoku PCB and got a bottle of Whiskey along with it  :dance:
IMG

Got these awesome LDs from Emerald Rocker!! I can't wait to watch these
IMG

A local friend is getting out of the arcade scene and moving so I picked up a couple things from him
Rough Ranger (Super Ranger) which is a rolling thunder clone
Popeye
Lethal Enforcers
Tiger Heli
IMG

xcrement5x

Damn Punki, those are some awesome LD pickups.  I am jelly

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bob

a few wii games over last couple weeks.

Ghost squad (99 cents at gamestop)
No More Heros ($4)
Tournament of Legends ($3)
Calling (brand new, ebay, $14)