The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

Is that Lum I see?

Popeye huh? That's one of the first games that I ever remember playing. Every time I see that game I feel like I stepped back into a time machine. The awe and wonder I used to get still reside somewhere within me.

vmorr

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 07/26/2015, 09:31 PMIf you're not married to the idea of keeping either Last Bible or Coca Cola Kid, let me know ;)
Oddly enough I have two CIB copies of Last Bible. I'll send you a PM if I can find something decent to ship one in. Never shipped cardboard before.

Also have to test the save batteries... Both copies are wrapped in the plastic baggy packing so they might be "new"? lol

esadajr

My most recent hauls

/IMG_20150727_214827.jpg

Couldn't let this GT6 offer pass me by.
Gaming since 1985

xcrement5x

Lol, looked up Galgun and it sounds funny.  I am guessing you got that from Play Asia with the free GT6 game?
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Joe Redifer

I haven't posted in this thread for a while. A fan of the show sent me two arcade PCBs a while back that he got with a bundle and didn't want. Those games were Gonta the Diver 2 and Konami's Premiere Soccer (which is actually pretty fun). This gave me a hankerin' to upgrade my Supergun from a shitty s-video thing to an RGB-only thing with zero circuitry. I also started grabbing some games. Here are the ones I've gotten so far:

/Arcade1.jpg

Here's Rastan, Choplifter and Metal Slug 5.

Rastan requires -5V from the power supply in order to produce sound. Superguns usually don't have that. Mine does now. Choplifter is one of my favorite games and I am so happy to finally have it. It's also by far my biggest PCB yet. Metal Slug 5 is my smallest PCB so far. It was cheaper than even the MVS cart so I said "why da hell not?" I find it curious that SNK also produced JAMMA PCBs and not just Neo Geo carts.

/Arcade2.jpg

Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder and Shinobi.

Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder was kind of a holy grail of mine. You see these on eBay here and there selling for about $500 from a non-US seller, likely the JP version of the game. I was lucky to get this one which is the US version from a US seller for significantly cheaper than the usual $500 asking price. The US version has you play through 7 areas instead of 5 for the other versions. There are two spots in the game where you choose your path and in the non-US version you have to pay through the game again to see the path you did not choose. Not a huge deal but it makes the game last longer. Shinobi is another one of my all-time favorites. This one came without the sound working. I had to replace the Z80 and the sound ROM which set me back a whopping $20 I think.

Future games I want to get are:
-Golden Axe (with sound fix already done, preferably)
-Gun Force 2 (saw one on eBay recently for a good price but I have spent far too much money lately)
-Ninja Baseball Bat Man
-Ghouls n Ghosts

After that... who knows?

Mathius

Shinobi is a holy grail of mine too. I will get a Supergun in the future.

PCEngineHell

Famicom arrived. Was filthy and had an old game pad label on each pad. One pad had a Kirby one, the other a worn our Parodius one. I had to soak the pads then scrub them good to get that crap off, and scrub the system shell down. Replaced the 1000uf 6.3v cap with a 16v one. Cleaned out the cart slot. Refurbished the gamepads with new rubber and recalibrated the mic in the 2nd pad. Then AV modded the thing. There is a chip in the corner I may fill in with filler and sand down. If I do it I will worry about it later. Its not a must do thing right now.

/2015-07-29%2022.17.03_zpsrc9wy4b2.jpg
/2015-07-29%2022.15.35_zpsce3b8gx9.jpg
/2015-07-29%2022.15.56_zpsjuhogfdu.jpg
/2015-07-29%2022.16.26_zpsz1cwj8qr.jpg

Game purcahses I have done as of late are 4 Famicom games: Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, Castlevania 3, and Ikari Warriors. Pce wise I got in S.C.I., Splatterhouse, and Mr.Heli. Waiting for Salamander and Hellfire S to arrive. Bernie sent me Keith Courage and Adams Family for TG! :)

xcrement5x

Prof, if you decide to retrobrite that Fami to get rid of the yellow there are places that sell replacement stickers that go on the body as well. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

PCEngineHell

I considered doing a peroxide thing, but honestly my cam makes it look a tad more tan then it is. And I think it kinda adds charm or character, kinda like the chip on the corner. This Famicom has the look of "I'm a survivor". I mean seriously, if you'd seen how it looked when it got to me..... Tough little guy was just waiting for someone to rescue him. :)

BigusSchmuck

EvilEvoIX

Good pickups today, One more on the way.

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

KOF 2002 is exceedingly difficult.  It'll take me months to be decent at this one.  The final boss I can't even get a hit on.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

ToyMachine78

I got a copy of L-Dis on the way. Scooped it up for $13.

esadajr

Quote from: xcrement5x on 07/28/2015, 12:32 PMLol, looked up Galgun and it sounds funny.  I am guessing you got that from Play Asia with the free GT6 game?
Yup, got them from Play Asia. Last year I tried the demo from the japanese PSN. I knew I'd get it eventually. One could say it is the stereotypical japanese game.
Gaming since 1985

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 07/30/2015, 08:08 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 07/30/2015, 07:33 PMFor a whole penny!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171868098534?euid=4a0817ecd0074219a7e54718e83fcded&cp=1
Well plus shipping..
Damn how does eBay assess a seller fee to that? Lol
Roughly 10% of $5.96 so around 60 cents in sold fees.

ToyMachine78

Family got me this today. Excellent!!!

IMG

xcrement5x

It's the end of the month and I had a bit of extra cash left so I decided to stop by the thrift to see if anything neat came in.  Came across these guys:

IMG
2015-07-30 Genesis 6 Button and Mad Catz PS1 AV Passthrough by xcrement5x, on Flickr

A 6 button Genesis controller in nice shape is a rare find these days for me, it was $4 but works mighty fine and looks quite good too with no surface damage.  They also had a Genesis Power brick for a Model 1/Sega CD but they wanted $5 so that was a pass.  Might try my luck on Saturday when it's 50% off.

Also there was this interesting AV cable for the PS1.  Normally I would pass on a generic PS AV cable but this one is funky, as it's one of those designed to pass through the signal so that you can use a GunCon with a non-composite connection.  I've only ever seen the official Sony ones and this one was boxed so I figured I would grab it at only $2.

T2KFreeker

Nice find man. I actually always wanted one of those AV Pass through adapters for my Playstation. it's pretty cool because it makes everything that much cheaper due to being able to use regular AV Cables. Nice score.
END OF LINE.

wilykat

Got myself a second Turboexpress for backup in case I foul up mine trying to finish LCD mod.  Couldn't pass up a cheap $120 "mostly works" TE with known sound issues.

technozombie

I picked up a few things while in Austin last weekend. I finally found Neutopia at a reasonable price. Can't upload a pic for some reason.
Edit: is there a forum picture limit?  Tapatalk says the upload folder is full.

wilykat

I never bothered with forum's built in file uploader.  Many forum have low limit on max file for the whole account, not just by the post or thread.  I've always used imgur or photobucket, they allow image linking easy.

technozombie

bob

over the last month or so, not much spent in total. 
I recommend a go at the untouchables.  it's like a re-imagined "whak-a-mole".
Gangstas pop out of windows and you have to shoot them before they recede back in. (not a light gun game, controller driven reticle).  You have a time limit to hit a defined amount.  It's kind of addicting.  I only did the first three levels, so I'm not sure if the game play changes later on.

/pe1.jpg

And a few NES dupes I got on the cheap for trade bait in the future.

/pe2.jpg

SuperGrafx

You can't really go wrong with POW for the NES.
Great game.  But do yourself a favor and play through it without resorting to using the 21 life code.

bob

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 08/03/2015, 10:09 PMYou can't really go wrong with POW for the NES.
Great game.  But do yourself a favor and play through it without resorting to using the 21 life code.
Its funny. I started playing more arcade games on MAME lately. So i have been revisiting a number of NES conversions to see how bad some of the efforts are in the ports. POW was obviously a pretty good one.

PCEngineHell

I need to pick up a Nes to Fami adapter so I can start grabbing Nes titles to play on my Famicom. One of them on my list is POW. Its easily one of the better Nes titles SNK put out there.

o.pwuaioc

That game has never been on my radar. I must rectify that.

bob

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 08/03/2015, 10:36 PMI need to pick up a Nes to Fami adapter so I can start grabbing Nes titles to play on my Famicom. One of them on my list is POW. Its easily one of the better Nes titles SNK put out there.
Nothing tops crystalis.

wilykat

Not a gaming related stuff but I had an interesting find.  I was visiting Radio Shack (the one that didn't get shuttered in bankrupcity wave a few months ago) that I had never been to.  It was huge compared to standard Radio Shack and they had lots of things that looked like it should have stayed with the 80's era Radio Shack including some vacuum tubes and sockets, electronic books, etc.  They even had a few Coco games (at original retail price, box looks smushed to hell)  It was almost like half of the store was still stuck in 80's and other half a today style without ridiculous overpriced cell phone.  Too bad that store is like 50 miles away and in a place I rarely go by.

I ended up with just a few pieces that I normally wouldn't find at typical Radio Shack.

NecroPhile

Yesterday's mail brought me copies of Shada (ready for the translation!), Hokutosei no Onna, Kagami no Kuni no Legend, and Death Bringer.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ToyMachine78

Quote from: SuperGrafx on 08/03/2015, 10:09 PMYou can't really go wrong with POW for the NES.
Good game, I thought it was pretty damn tough. I had to use the lives code.

Also, the mail brought LDis yesterday. Its a pretty good little shooter. Not spectacular, but decent, and can be had pretty cheap.

EvilEvoIX

I've been on an AES roll recently.  I got this Bad Boy for FREE, very nice seller.

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

xcrement5x

IMG
Gypsy Dreamcast Bundle by xcrement5x, on Flickr

My half of a trade from Gypsy. Lots of awesome Dreamcast games to add to my library and some not so awesome.  I'm trying to get many of the heavy hitters out of the way early as I consider going for a full set like an ultra collectard.  It will be slow going though since I am trying to fund any additional purchases through sales for the time being and I've got some other things I want to pay off as well. 

Mathius

^^Rayman 2 is your diamond in the rough

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 08/04/2015, 09:38 PMIMG
Gypsy Dreamcast Bundle by xcrement5x, on Flickr

My half of a trade from Gypsy. Lots of awesome Dreamcast games to add to my library and some not so awesome.  I'm trying to get many of the heavy hitters out of the way early as I consider going for a full set like an ultra collectard.  It will be slow going though since I am trying to fund any additional purchases through sales for the time being and I've got some other things I want to pay off as well.
Tech Romancer, nice!
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

o.pwuaioc

Quite a few good ones, actually: Mark of the Wolves and Last Blade 2 are quality, and Spiderman, Toy Commander, and Revolt are decent as well. Haven't played them on the DC in a while, so my memory is faulty, but I remember those being definitely worthy of a buy. Sega Rally a lot of people liked, too, but I never played it on the DC.

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 08/04/2015, 10:05 PMQuite a few good ones, actually: Mark of the Wolves and Last Blade 2 are quality, and Spiderman, Toy Commander, and Revolt are decent as well. Haven't played them on the DC in a while, so my memory is faulty, but I remember those being definitely worthy of a buy. Sega Rally a lot of people liked, too, but I never played it on the DC.
Yeah, Gypsy had some pretty decent titles he was willing to trade off to me, the only "junk filler" ones in my opinion based on what I played so far were NFL QB 2001, and 102 Dalmations.  Even Chicken Run was okay, but I find Aardman stuff pretty charming too.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/04/2015, 11:53 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/04/2015, 10:05 PMQuite a few good ones, actually: Mark of the Wolves and Last Blade 2 are quality, and Spiderman, Toy Commander, and Revolt are decent as well. Haven't played them on the DC in a while, so my memory is faulty, but I remember those being definitely worthy of a buy. Sega Rally a lot of people liked, too, but I never played it on the DC.
Yeah, Gypsy had some pretty decent titles he was willing to trade off to me, the only "junk filler" ones in my opinion based on what I played so far were NFL QB 2001, and 102 Dalmations.  Even Chicken Run was okay, but I find Aardman stuff pretty charming too.
What the heck is "Incoming"?

I am not familiar with that title at all. I must investigate.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 08/04/2015, 12:21 PMI've been on an AES roll recently.  I got this Bad Boy for FREE, very nice seller.

IMG
That's one heck of a freebie.
--DragonmasterDan

EvilEvoIX

I bought some games and then he mailed me this one after the fact
IMGIMGIMG

Gypsy

Mark of the Wolves, Last Blade 2 and Tech Romancer are all awesome. I would not have traded them without replacing them with Japanese copies (which I did). Some people like Illbleed but I didn't care for it so it was easy to move on from that one.

Sega Rally is alright, it's a competent racing game.

For anyone wondering about my side Element sent me lots of PCE goodies (Cadash, 3.0 sys card, R-Type I, Puyo Puyo, ten no koe bank, Dragon Spirit, Genji Tsushin Agedama, Space Harrier) a Genesis Game Genie and some (okay quite a bit of) money.

@Esteban: It's a 3D shooter, not particularly good.

o.pwuaioc

Since you just replaced MotW, does the Japanese version have audio sync problems?

Gypsy

If you have access to AES or MVS I'd certainly play one of those. I like the Dreamcast controller better for fighters or I otherwise would have imported it on PS2 which is a better console version. It seems to be about the same as the US release but it is worth noting that I was sent the first pressing of the game. I don't know if the "the best" budget release fixed the issues. Maybe Redump will have information on if those discs are different.

PCEngineHell

Picking up Contra and Double Dragon III for Famicom. Figured I'd give them a go.

munchiaz

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/05/2015, 01:24 PMIf you have access to AES or MVS I'd certainly play one of those. I like the Dreamcast controller better for fighters or I otherwise would have imported it on PS2 which is a better console version. It seems to be about the same as the US release but it is worth noting that I was sent the first pressing of the game. I don't know if the "the best" budget release fixed the issues. Maybe Redump will have information on if those discs are different.
I think you are the first person i've heard prefer the DC controller over....well anything

Gypsy

Quote from: munchiaz on 08/05/2015, 05:40 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 08/05/2015, 01:24 PMIf you have access to AES or MVS I'd certainly play one of those. I like the Dreamcast controller better for fighters or I otherwise would have imported it on PS2 which is a better console version. It seems to be about the same as the US release but it is worth noting that I was sent the first pressing of the game. I don't know if the "the best" budget release fixed the issues. Maybe Redump will have information on if those discs are different.
I think you are the first person i've heard prefer the DC controller over....well anything
I wouldn't be surprised, I know lots of people hate it but I really don't mind it at all. The only really absurd thing about it is the fact that the cord comes out the bottom so you have to put it in that stupid nook. Otherwise it fits rather nicely in my hands and is solid and functional.

Anyway from my experience the Dualshock 2 dpad is blargh hence my preference with fighters. It's a very good controller otherwise though.

bartre

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/05/2015, 06:02 PM
Quote from: munchiaz on 08/05/2015, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, I know lots of people hate it but I really don't mind it at all. The only really absurd thing about it is the fact that the cord comes out the bottom so you have to put it in that stupid nook. Otherwise it fits rather nicely in my hands and is solid and functional.

Anyway from my experience the Dualshock 2 dpad is blargh hence my preference with fighters. It's a very good controller otherwise though.
my only problem with the DC controller is the D-Pad.
why the hell did they make it asymmetrical?

turboswimbz

I don't hate the DC controller either.  The one I really hate is the N64, yet I still really enjoy that system too sooooooo
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

vmorr

Speaking of Dreamcast, I just got my toes wet with this set 20min ago. Late night game pickups.

/fky74k.jpg
/do2lnq.jpg

System came with a VGA converter (?) and a NIB or at least LNIB second controller. Been waiting for a bundle to pop up in my area with at least a few games, hopped on this one.