@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Yep, it's one big image.  Does your photoshop not have crop?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/10/2015, 09:19 AMYep, it's one big image.  Does your photoshop not have crop?
I know I saved your image...I'll see what I can do....

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

RyuHayabusa

Thanks for the Dragon Knight comparison pics, Black Tiger. I tried playing through Knights of Xentar a couple of years back but got side-tracked. I keep meaning the get the PCE versions. I picked up one of the anime DVDs as well but haven't gotten to watch it yet. It focuses on Takeru's son, Kakeru, and I'm not sure if it's a boobfest but I'm sure it is since it's Dragon Knight, lol.

ClodBusted

Dragon Knight 4-Ever is pretty much a boob- and fuckfest, although a rather softcore one. Believe me.

NightWolve

Quote from: shubibiman on 05/13/2015, 08:26 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/09/2015, 02:51 PMDragon Knight III Comparison
IMG
I like the FM Towns better  :mrgreen:
Heh, good/creative thinking with the smileys... ;)

HG101 did an extensive review of these "games" if anyone's curious...

hardcoregaming101.net/dragonknight/dragonknight.htm

NSFW on that first click, so FYI.

TurboXray

Just found out that there's a 68k version of Cyber Core. We need comparison pics!

CrackTiger

Pretty sure that a Cyber Core comparison is already hidden somewhere in this thread.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

CrackTiger

Cyber Core

X68000 <-------> PC ENGINE

IMGIMG

IMGIMG

IMGIMG

IMGIMG

IMGIMG

IMGIMG

IMGIMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mathius

Did we do a Cotton comparison? If not let's compare the various 16-bit versions!  :D

*sigh* never mind. It wasn't a massive comparison, however and it left room to expand a bit though.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Mathius on 11/14/2015, 10:05 PMDid we do a Cotton comparison? If not let's compare the various 16-bit versions!  :D

*sigh* never mind. It wasn't a massive comparison, however and it left room to expand a bit though.
Sounds like you only found the screenshot comparison of Cotton and the SFC game. The arcade and X68k were compared at different times as well.

But awack also did a major sprite rip comparison of PCE Cotton and the SFC Cotton game, which shows how much animation and effects were crammed into the PCE version.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2015, 01:53 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 11/14/2015, 10:05 PMDid we do a Cotton comparison? If not let's compare the various 16-bit versions!  :D

Sounds like you only found the screenshot comparison of Cotton and the SFC game. The arcade and X68k were compared at different times as well.

But awack also did a major sprite rip comparison of PCE Cotton and the SFC Cotton game, which shows how much animation and effects were crammed into the PCE version.
Cool! I've read this thread like 5 times totally through but can't remember all that was done. I keep trying to read through it now but I lose my place for various reasons. I wish this forum allowed a person to skip to a certain page #. It's tedious with the current method.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Mathius on 11/16/2015, 09:39 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/16/2015, 01:53 PM

Cool! I've read this thread like 5 times totally through but can't remember all that was done. I keep trying to read through it now but I lose my place for various reasons. I wish this forum allowed a person to skip to a certain page #. It's tedious with the current method.
Checkout the Cotton stuff at around 80% down this page:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6609.1080

esteban

NOTICE: in an effort to capture nearly everything documented in this thread, please tell me what I have missed. 

As Black Tiger stated, there were many sprite comparisons...but I have only documented a handful of them ( Rondo's Sprites and Splatterhouse Sprites and Space Harrier's Sprites

If folks can link to the exact posts with images, I would be eternally grateful.

COTTON:
https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_shmups.htm#Cotton

CYBER CORE:
I have to add the Cyber Core comparison B_T just posted above.

roflmao

Quote from: esteban on 12/19/2015, 02:59 PMNOTICE: in an effort to capture nearly everything documented in this thread, please tell me what I have missed. 
Your comparison page is chock full 'o awesome, Esteban! If you're interested, you are more than welcome to add my Kyukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra comparison video  to your screenshots for that game:

Mathius

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/23/2015, 05:33 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/19/2015, 02:59 PMNOTICE: in an effort to capture nearly everything documented in this thread, please tell me what I have missed. 
Your comparison page is chock full 'o awesome, Esteban! If you're interested, you are more than welcome to add my Kyukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra comparison video  to your screenshots for that game:
Quote from: Mathius on 12/23/2015, 08:51 PM^^  :shock:
Like Mathius, I was all "WTF?"...

I didn't know you made a video comparing the different ports!

I have to watch the whole thing...

...OK, I watched the whole video. I really like the format :)

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

sanjo

Great thread! I love these comparisons thread because I often owned multiple consoles of the same generation and was always at a loss when trying to choose a multi platform game.
From the first few pages (based on not just screen shots, but trying the game either in person or via emulators)..

Tokimeki Memorial - PC-Engine hands down. The SFC has smoother blending of colors and gradients, that is for sure. the SFC chip music sounds better than the times the PCE uses its chip music. But at the end of the day, Tokimeki Memorial is a game that highly relies on its anime style story telling. The PCE version has a larger resolution, animated scenes, more sprite animation, etc that tells the story better. Also note that in many background images on the SFC, the locales are empty. Looks like people are dating in a ghost town.

Emerald Dragon - Back when I did romhacking, Emerald dragon was a game I wanted to translate, but couldn't due to limited skills. I'm glad some one else picked it up. I thought it had really good graphics that reminded me of an SNES Enix game like Terranigma or Illusion of Gaia, more so than a Square game (this was before the merger). Then I learned of the PCE-CD version. In pics it does look the SNES/SFC version is better with more details, but when playing the PCE-CD version and watching videos of it.. the PCE-CD is also good. The different use of colors gives it a different feel, despite similar lay outs. It reminds me more of a late end Genesis RPG like Shining Force 2. Overall prefer the PCE again. The graphics advantage over the PCE is not that huge and in fact I'd say its apples to oranges. But the PCE has better music, animation, voice acting, etc that tells a better story.

Art of Fighting: I'm going to start by saying Takara often did lazy ports of Neo-Geo games to the SNES/SFC. Take a look at John's stage in the SNES version. The helicopter looks awful and lazily drawn. The floors are also awful. The only bright side to the SNES version is smoother scaling and the music.  While Takara did a sloppy job on graphics, they often did remixed versions of the music for the SNES versions. Some were so-so, but some were superior to the original. For example Mr. Big's stage.
The PCE version has the best graphics of the 3 16-bit home ports. Also the best music. But that zoom is awful. The Genesis version also had better graphics than the SNES version, and it had better animation and even incorporated parallax scrolling not in either two. But the voices were awful, and the music just so-so. However I liked that it didn't use the zoom feature. Overall I'm going to say a tie between the Genesis and PCE version, SNES last.

World Heroes 2: The SNES version has better voices and sound effects. PCE with larger sprites and it seems more animation. Music is better too. I think I'll give this to the PCE

Parodius: This one SNES hands down. Better music. Graphics are pretty comparable overall.

esteban

Sanjo, it was fun reading your thoughts on the different versions.

Your post inspired me to listen to some of the music from the NeoGeo games.

shubibiman

This one was missing :
Bomberman 94 (PCE) Mega Bomberman (MD)
IMG IMG
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

CrackTiger

Quote from: shubibiman on 05/01/2016, 04:38 AMThis one was missing :
Bomberman 94 (PCE) Mega Bomberman (MD)
IMG IMG
It's in there somewhere. Yet another one of my near complete projects that I was working on for my site is a detailed comparison of the two games. Here an early test page I found:

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/bomberman_94_comp.html

I also made animated gifs and little swatches to compare the little detsils that are lost in Mega Bomberman. I know that a music comparison video is floating on my webspace. I'm on vacation, so I can't look for any of the files.

OceanBlueKirby actually did a write up based on screen shots from this thread I believe, or maybe that test page. That gives you an idea of how old it is. :P

esteban

^Holy Smokes, this is YE OLDE THREADE.

Digi.k

Parodius Da!?! Blue bell bomb blast

ArcadePC EngineSNES
IMGIMGIMG

Digi.k

Digi.k

giant sleepy Honey Mikayo boss

PC EngineSNES
IMGIMG

Digi.k

Parodius Da!  Stage 2 showgirl Chichibinta Rika  stage attack

SNES
IMG

Arcade
IMG

PCE
IMG

NightWolve

Digi.k

esteban

Mathius

Most interesting thing this thread has seen in years! Do some Capcom arcade ports next! Strider, GnG, Forgotten Worlds etc

CrackTiger

=D&gt; This is the kind of stuff that is brought up every time people matter of factly state that the SNES version is the exact same, only with better graphics and more stages.

The PC Engine version also doesn't slow to a crawl in the same spots as the SNES version, even though it tosses around more sprites/action.

SignOfZeta

It always seems like there more room for animation in PCE games, even the HuCARD ones.
IMG

Digi.k

Last bit of Parodius Da!  Hot Lips

PCE
IMG

arcade
IMG

SNES
IMG

Gonna sleep bbl

Digi.k

Daimakaimura - stage 1 guardian

Genesis
IMG

Supergrafx
IMG

stage 2 - guardian

Genesis
IMG

supergrafx
IMG

Stage 3 guardian

Genesis
IMG

Supergrafx
IMG

esteban

CrackTiger

These kinds of animated screenshots are where PC Engine games are going to start looking less impressive when you see everything, including parallax or the lack thereof.

Those Daimakaimura pics are the perfect example.

shubibiman

Lack of parallax in Daimakaimura SGX ? Are you sure ?

Gradius II
ArcadePC Engine
IMG IMG
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

geise

Gradius 2 is so good on the pc-e.  Digi.k, thanks for all those comparison pics.  I love looking at this stuff.

CrackTiger

Quote from: shubibiman on 05/05/2016, 05:32 AMLack of parallax in Daimakaimura SGX ? Are you sure ?
Cherry picking spots where one version has parallax when the other doesn't is going to lead to a lot of examples that don't favor the PC Engine.

Digi.k

forgotten Worlds,  the layered scrolling on the genesis tho is awesome!  if only they were able to put that in the pce version....

pce
IMG

Genesis
IMG

pce
IMG

Genesis
IMG

pce
IMG

genesis
IMG

Digi.k

cotton

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

EDIT

Gradius II

Arcade
IMG

PCE
IMG

Digi.k

parodius da!

Parodius Da is a strange kettle.  It's a competent piece of software but not all the levels feature layered scrolling but where there is background layers.....Is the pc engine here displaying more layers of scrolling than it's daddy on certain levels like this graveyard one?

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

Digi.k

ok this gonna be the last gifs as I think I am overkilling it.

parodius Da!

arcade
IMG

pce (again is the pce version here displaying more layers of pink cloud)?
IMG

CrackTiger

I've always believed that Parodius Da! started out as a PC Engine project and perhaps like other Konami releases, got held back to support Nintendo's launch of the Super Famicom. The differences don't make sense otherwise. There was no reason to redraw some of the artwork to make it cruder or even just different and some of the missing parallax only makes sense if it didn't already exist in a previous version.

Stuff like these pics are the most damning evidence. Why design a background with tiles in repeating strips without scrolling like that, unless it was originally catering to the PC Engine? Why have a parallax layer scrolling verically but not horizontally over the layer behind it, unless it was designed with the PCE in mind.

Just the same, why release Gradius on a tiny 2 meg HuCard in '92 and cut some of the content and samples?

Otaking

I'd "forgotten" how much better the PC Engine Forgotten Worlds is compared to the Mega Drive version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Mathius

Digi.k, your not overkilling the gifs, brother. Keep em coming if you feel like it. :)

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 05/05/2016, 10:58 PMDigi.k, your not overkilling the gifs, brother. Keep em coming if you feel like it. :)
Agreed!

Digi.k, we want more more more more.

ThanxKbye.

seieienbu

This is my favorite thread on this site, thanks for keeping it interesting Digi.k!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Digi.k

Konami should have been a bit more ambitious with this port and instead of 4mbits.. maxed it out to 8mbits like parodius.  Just like parodius some stages the layered scrolling is missing or they added effects not featured in the arcades....

detana twinbee

pce
IMG

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

arcade
IMG

pce
IMG

arcade
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/06/2016, 07:51 PMarcade
IMG
Hey, that crabster guy is very Super Star Soldier-esque!