RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

The only textured sleeve I have came with my copy of Air Zonk years ago. It's held up very well. All of my sleeves have to be honest. I don't think I store my hueys any differently than the next gamer so I don't know.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 01/14/2016, 11:36 AMI see so many systems with those burn marks on them I think it must have happened at the factory or something. 
It has to do with "outgassing" and I believe it happens from poor storage methods, it was discussed some here: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=18771.msg399211#msg399211

johnnykonami

Quote from: Mathius on 01/14/2016, 11:53 PMThe only textured sleeve I have came with my copy of Air Zonk years ago. It's held up very well. All of my sleeves have to be honest. I don't think I store my hueys any differently than the next gamer so I don't know.
I expected as much, they seemed a little nicer than the standard ones.  Still waiting on my SeymourOnion ones, I shouldn't be so excited about it as I am.  My gf got me some GBA plastic cases (they are aftermarket, of course, like the original GB plastic protector cases) and I was so pleased to give my carts a little place to stay nice and clean.

NightWolve

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/12/2015, 01:40 AMHad been looking into buying a big screen computer monitor for my PC and settled on this HDTV which can do 4K but at 30Hz. It has everything needed for running 1080p @ 60Hz nicely from a DVI situation adapted to HDMI but needing audio delivered by analog means, a feature that'll be more rare in the future, as well as providing a VGA input port (extremely rare now). I think I'm pretty happy with it and I can probably get it for $191 with open box markdown from the store if I return it and attempt to rebuy!

IMG

http://www.microcenter.com/product/451211/39_(Refurbished)_LED_4k_Ultra_HDTV

http://www.seiki.com/content/39-se39uy04-led-ultra-hdtv
Update on my new Seiki 39" TV, I did the rebuy idea mentioned the other day. While having returned it to the store, I did try to evaluate another TV, this time a Vizio 43" full 4k/2160p smart TV for $399 which I almost wanted to keep, but decided against. So, picked it up the Seiki again, and with taxes, the total was $211! :)

Now here's the best part, I actually learned something new. How to overclock a video card on refresh rates and custom resolutions. I upgraded to this el cheapo Radeon 5450 as mentioned for $24, but hopefully I get back the $10 rebate (which I sent in) so keeping my old 2008 Vista PC on life support yet again doesn't feel so bad by dropping more money into it:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/363989/Radeon_HD_5450_Video_Card

Here comes the ProTip: Turns out, thankfully, that Radeon and Nvidia cards have a means of setting up custom resolutions and refresh rates that otherwise would never show up in the setup apps or via the Windows display control panel app!

This guide right here can get you started:

http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

It's easier if you have a Nvidia card, but since mine is a Radeon, I had to run a patcher first which removes lots of limitations AND ACTUALLY, it let me go 4K 3840x2160 @ 30Hz (as per the TV's limit) so I got to test some 4K video!

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

This 2008 computer is too slow to run 4K videos though, even with Media Player Classic, so they stall/play choppy, if at all, but yes, very beautiful! Interestingly enough, for general desktop usage, 4k@30Hz is not as bad as 1080i@30Hz as I remember with my old 26" 720p TV... The mouse pointer looks OK, but you do need to double or triple its speed to move through ALL that real estate that's gained!

Anyway, so just running the AMD/ATI patcher and rebooting instantly made available the 3840x2160 @ 30Hz resolution both on the Windows control panel app and the proprietary ATI/AMD Catalyst software made for the card.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Next I ran the Custom Resolution Utility and I added 1920x1080 @ 120Hz, rebooted and as hoped, this resolution and newly added refresh rate showed up as a selectable option in all apps. Having switched to it, the TV reported the resolution/refresh rate as 1080p@120hz and I gotta say, it really makes a big difference. The easy subjective test is to grab a window and move it around very fast. You will see how much more fluid it moves. I tried my Felghana PC game and though it's not widescreen patched, it's damn near perfect!

I guess this problem though of video cards not showing all the resolutions and refresh rates supported is for those of us with a bit aging hardware, but yeah, very cool to have done this!

So, $211 for a full 39" inches of TV with true 120 Hz @ 1080p, no gimmicks/tricks (e.g. "motion rate 120/240"), but lacking smart TV features is looking like an OK deal for a discontinued model because the maker is going for full 4K @ 60Hz with their next generation of models. I suspect this el cheapo model can keep me cool for many years and it still has all possible input connections. What I need to test next though is 240p support with its YPbPr/Component input jacks to see if this thing is full retro-considerate for us old timer crank types. :)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Mathius on 01/13/2016, 10:58 PMI saw Giana Sisters at Game Stop. ^^

Nice haul, Flare. I was wondering when someone was going to buy that enormous box of boobs for the 3DS.
Lol but is it fun? 

I bought and played the Vista game and enjoyed it. Have been toying with the idea of getting the two 3DS games

lwizardl

bought this on christmas eve and it just got here yesterday.

FM Towns Marty, listed as broken. Got it for $122.50+$67 shipping
IMG

Opened it up and found the door sensor broken.
IMG

Taped the sensor down and it read a audio cd, later tested free software collection vol2, splatterhouse, and muscle bomber all loaded fine.
IMG

tested a floppy diskette and it sounded really loud, removed the drive and found broken belt. WIll be replacing that next.
IMG

Now to find a controller

Opethian

any MSX/x68000 controller will work on those
IMG

lwizardl

Yeah I seen that only issue is the run/select buttons. Some of the ones I seen didn't have them and the fm towns uses doubled up button combos as run/select (up+down=Select, Left+Right=Run). Also seen a simple cable could be make to use genesis controllers so I may do that for the time being.

jtucci31

That's a nice looking Marty! Usually the working ones that are asking $500 are terribly yellowed and junky looking

lwizardl

Thanks jtucci31! I think I just got lucky with the find. it was only at $1.02 with like 45mins left on the auction. No way I was going to allow someone to get a marty for that  :twisted:

Opethian

I don't know what games you intend to play but I never some across a game that needed the run/select buttons to start.
IMG

lwizardl

oh didn't know that, i thought it needed them. That will make it easier to find i think

SuperDeadite

A lot of games use the Run/Select buttons.  You will need them.  I have never seen a game that uses the Zoom button though.  However of all the official Towns pads, the Marty ones are the best.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

lwizardl

I've never played anything FM Towns but always was interested in it to see the port of Splatterhouse. So that will be the first game I plan to play on it. I was reading a genesis controller can be modded for the fm towns use so I may do that first.

jtucci31

Quote from: lwizardl on 01/20/2016, 04:38 PMThanks jtucci31! I think I just got lucky with the find. it was only at $1.02 with like 45mins left on the auction. No way I was going to allow someone to get a marty for that  :twisted:
That's weird. I was watching a Towns tower CPU on ebay a few weeks ago that was at like $2 for the longest time before it sold for $120ish.

lwizardl

interesting that was how the marty was.  I seen a few for $360, 500, and then $1.02 I was like umm mine.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

sirhcman

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/20/2016, 09:46 PMwow, soon 1000 pages  :shock:
not really much of a shock, lots of collectards here! :)

esteban

I guess it depends on how many messages you display per page...my count says 298 pages...

...which is still a hell of a lot of pages.

Also, WHERE THE F@CK HAVE YOU BEEN??!! :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Opethian

IMG

geise

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2016, 09:47 PM
not really much of a shock, lots of collectards here! :)
What is a shock is that Tats is posting here. :)

finally...

xcrement5x

A wild Tatsujin appears!  Quick, get out the nice cheeses so he doesn't leave too fast ;)
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Sparky

you will always  fine him on Facial book :)

gheebee

Got a Wii U with Mario Kart 8 pre-installed along with copies of Captain Toad: Treasure Hunter, Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse yesterday. Also got Shovel Knight and Super Mario Bros. U on the way. This is the first console I've had any desire to buy since the Dreamcast and it's been a lot of fun so far!

Guess it figures that this gets published today: http://www.techinsider.io/nintendos-wii-u-is-a-major-flop-2016-1  lol

Gredler

sketchy link blocked by antivirus software. That being said, you should probably get xenoblade chronicles x asap, it's the bee's knees.

NightWolve

Just happened moments ago, an Ys buddy of mine PM'ed me that an original Ys I&II Complete Limited Edition set had just gone up on eBay by HitJapan. He knew I wanted one after he showed me the one he bought and he kept an eye out for the next sale to pop up on my behalf.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311531949305

IMG

So HitJapan wanted $50 + $20 for shipping, BUT, they had a Make Offer option, so my initial haggle attempt was based on subtracting that $20 for shipping, to keep it at $50, my absolute max, so I offered $30... To my surprise and disappointment, the operator was online and accepted my offer a few minutes later... I wonder much lower I could've gone, but oh well, $50 it is!!! :)

It's a bit collectard to want this for my shelf basically since I played out the game and already have the Falcom Popular Edition which is the mini-me version of this full Limited Edition set. For the most part, it'll admittedly just be a shiny trophy of some of my Ys past. Always liked how they fashioned the box in the style of an ancient book of Ys. :) But yeah, oh well, I have a bit of collectard in me.

IMG IMG IMG

IMG IMGIMG

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2016, 05:17 PMyou will always  fine him on Facial book :)
hehe

+

Also, my copy of Ugly Americans The Complete Series arrived today from Australia. For anyone interested, you can only buy it from here:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-animation/ugly-americans-the-complete-series/521529/

After the currency conversion, it came to about $18 shipped, because there's a sale or something.

/2N9FK6i.jpg

<3
IMG

gheebee

Quote from: Gredler on 01/21/2016, 08:08 PMsketchy link blocked by antivirus software. That being said, you should probably get xenoblade chronicles x asap, it's the bee's knees.
Link should be OK now, removed the de-referrer. I'll have a look at some videos for that game tomorrow, haven't checked out that many games yet.

NecroPhile

That Ys box set is pretty damn sexy.  =P~
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

xcrement5x

I agree, it looks like a shiny little piece of heaven.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Mathius

Damn that's some sexy Ys right there. Or is it sexYS?

BigusSchmuck

I gots Lagrange Point coming my direction. Only thing left is to get this puppy translated and I'm off to Famicom FM land!

Medic_wheat

Some pick ups from the past couple months.

Might have posted one or two of these items already but can't remember.

Not pictures are: Henrry Hatsworth DS, ghost detective DS, some Phoenix weight game but with the antagonist DS. I put them away and didn't feel like pulling them out for pictures. 😚

IMG

When Lords of thunder was up for sale on a local FB page someone also posted the Sega CD port for the same price of $120 CIB. I only had cash for one. Had to go Super CD!  Will wait for another Sega CD copy to pop up later. Blah.

IMG
Already have the Chrono Trogger game but it was loose. Found a COB copy on the cheap.

IMG
Have been wanting to pick up a few games that use the SNES mouse. I hear the Doom port can use it as well but don't have it yet.

IMG

Second copy of the Rodeah game. Only wanted it so I could have a inverted Wii copy to slide next to my Wii games. Not sure if I want to keep it in the blue WiiU case or swap it for a White Wii case.

Also $5 for season 3 of TMNT at Wallmart? Heck yeah!  Wonder if they have the other seasons for $5?  I have only ever seen the party wagon complete series collection. But I don't want to pay $54 for it.

IMG

Went a little Anime crazy. Picked up a lot of the Tenchi series. Missing a small chunk wondering if they are all on Bluray or just some of it? 

IMG

Really fun series I use to watch on Toonami. Have been waiting for part 2 to ship from Amazon for a few weeks. Just waiting for it to be back in stock. Amazon has he's really cheap at $15 a volume.

IMG

Rounding out some PS2 and PS3 love. Can't wait to play BioShocl Infinite. Want to pick up the double pack of BioShock 1&2 with all DLC they have as well waiting for it to dip below $25 used though.  Have played and enjoyed the first two but I like that the double pack as all DLC. Not sure if the DLC adds anything mind you per say.

And what can I say. guitaro man!  Have been wanting that game for a few years. I think I am very close to being done with the PS2 in terms of games I'd like.

xcrement5x

Dang lots of goodies Medic!  Santa was good to you last month!

You are going to be disappointed with Magna Carta though, that game is a sack of shit with nice visuals.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2016, 03:52 PMDang lots of goodies Medic!  Santa was good to you last month!

You are going to be disappointed with Magna Carta though, that game is a sack of shit with nice visuals.
Aw dang. I picked that one up on a recommendation. Oh well will have to try it out and see how it handles. If nothing else the box art is boner tastic.

How about the sequel for the 360?  Any better?  I think GS has it used for $13 or something.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 01/22/2016, 01:03 AM
Quote from: guest on 01/21/2016, 05:17 PMyou will always  fine him on Facial book :)
hehe

+

Also, my copy of Ugly Americans The Complete Series arrived today from Australia. For anyone interested, you can only buy it from here:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/tv-animation/ugly-americans-the-complete-series/521529/

After the currency conversion, it came to about $18 shipped, because there's a sale or something.

/2N9FK6i.jpg

<3
I'll have to pick this one up. That and the U.K. Exclusive Moral Oral complete collection.

johnnykonami

I enjoyed Ugly Americans, I wish there was more of it.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 01/23/2016, 04:37 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 01/22/2016, 01:03 AM/2N9FK6i.jpg

<3
I'll have to pick this one up. That and the U.K. Exclusive Moral Oral complete collection.
Ahhhhh!!! Didn't know! I'm usually pretty up on shit like that, considering I have a few friends that are DVDtards as well. Thanks for mentioning, I loved Moral Orel.

Quote from: johnnykonami on 01/23/2016, 04:59 PMI enjoyed Ugly Americans, I wish there was more of it.
Definitely wish there was another season or so, but I'm happy it at least got two.
IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 01/23/2016, 04:36 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/23/2016, 03:52 PMDang lots of goodies Medic!  Santa was good to you last month!

Aw dang. I picked that one up on a recommendation. Oh well will have to try it out and see how it handles. If nothing else the box art is boner tastic.

How about the sequel for the 360?  Any better?  I think GS has it used for $13 or something. 
I've heard the sequel is better, but I've never played it. 

The first game is programmed by Koreans and incredibly grindy, heavy on tedious synthing just to get items you need, and the battle system requires constant attention.  It could be up your alley, but it was a waste of my money when I bought it back in the day.  The one shining grace is that the box set game with a guide for the entire game.

jtucci31

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 01/22/2016, 10:16 PMI gots Lagrange Point coming my direction. Only thing left is to get this puppy translated and I'm off to Famicom FM land!
I really really really want to play this game. It's the main reason that makes me want a Family Twin. You mentioning it again makes me want to seek it out more actually! Hope you enjoy it

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2016, 11:02 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 01/22/2016, 10:16 PMI gots Lagrange Point coming my direction. Only thing left is to get this puppy translated and I'm off to Famicom FM land!
I really really really want to play this game. It's the main reason that makes me want a Family Twin. You mentioning it again makes me want to seek it out more actually! Hope you enjoy it
I've got a real copy but would much rather have a translated repro.

mickcris

Quote from: Mathius on 01/23/2016, 11:22 PM
its not too hard to swap the rom out with one programmed with the translation.  I did it on mine.  No need to rewire anything.  It was a drop in replacement.

cabbage

Nice haul, Medic. I want that Ogre Battle... and Cannon Spike! Heard good things about Little King's Story on the Wii, too.

Here's some of what I got recently:
/pick64.jpg
/pick6ps.jpg
obviously the mvs games will get the most playtime

Psycho Punch

cabbage don't lie, you'll be playing that eyetoy game 24/7
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Mathius

cabbage

Quote from: guest on 01/24/2016, 01:05 AMcabbage don't lie, you'll be playing that eyetoy game 24/7
gotta learn some new dance moves to show off in the club

Quote from: Mathius on 01/24/2016, 01:36 AMWhat is that blue MVS game?
it's samurai shodown iv (korean censored ver.)

jtucci31

I may be trying to get this cart soon. And when that happens, we can try to ask chop to put the translated rom in for us :wink:

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/22/2016, 12:00 AMJust happened moments ago, an Ys buddy of mine PM'ed me that an original Ys I & II Complete Limited Edition set had just gone up on eBay by HitJapan. He knew I wanted one after he showed me the one he bought and he kept an eye out for the next sale to pop up on my behalf.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311531949305

IMG

So HitJapan wanted $50 + $20 for shipping, BUT, they had a Make Offer option, so my initial haggle attempt was based on subtracting that $20 for shipping, to keep it at $50, my absolute max, so I offered $30... To my surprise and disappointment, the operator was online and accepted my offer a few minutes later... I wonder much lower I could've gone, but oh well, $50 it is!!! :)

It's a bit collectard to want this for my shelf basically since I played out the game and already have the Falcom Popular Edition which is the mini-me version of this full Limited Edition set. For the most part, it'll admittedly just be a shiny trophy of some of my Ys past. Always liked how they fashioned the box in the style of an ancient book of Ys. :) But yeah, oh well, I have a bit of collectard in me.

IMG IMG IMG

IMG IMG IMG
Been wanting to get this but I always miss out on it. In fact, I was looking at this one and looks like I waited too long and you snagged before I did. Nice grab.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 01/24/2016, 01:29 PM
I may be trying to get this cart soon. And when that happens, we can try to ask chop to put the translated rom in for us :wink:
Yay! You're on :)

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on 01/24/2016, 07:53 PMGot these in the mail. My favorite RPGs for the Super Famicom:

/9E909D98-9BA1-421B-7A33B26C1E3A0074.png
/9E908553-C08A-6F73-FD91D5BACB771DE2.png
IMG
Agreed. I like Mystic Quest as well too.