RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Sapphire DEBUG mode & hidden things

Started by ccovell, 07/23/2018, 10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccovell

Hey, folks, I was poking around in the Sapphire ISO and initial loader (IPL) and found a few things.  First of which is a debug/configuration pre-load menu that went unused and deactivated:

IMG

The debug mode DOES work and has things to play around with by pausing the game and pressing buttons. The game can even run without the Arcade Card.

RAM Values for...
Debug: $2698 00/$FF off/on
Level: $269A 0..2  easy-hard
Play rec.: $269E 0..2 normal/trace/record
Demo No.: $001E 0..9 (not used ?)
Stage No.: $269C 0..9 all/1-9
Acc Read: $26A9 00/$FF off/on

If you skip the AC detection manually in the IPL, it loads the game, but with garbage for cinemas / large enemies / ground. If you set the above RAM value to turn "off" AC, it skips some screens and the BG is just blank. I haven't played through the game with these hacks yet.

Also, there is an earlier Arcade Card warning screen hidden in the ISO, before the well-known cheesecake pic was decided on:

IMG

SignOfZeta

That looks more like "before the character designer was hired" art.

This is really cool, btw. I hope someone will figure out a way to make it available via a patch.
IMG

tbone3969

Wow this is really cool.  Good work and thanks.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

exodus

that's neat! I guess it's inaccessible through normal use?

NightWolve

Awesome! Mednafen will want to add a Cutting Room Floor page once/if you release how to patch the ISO to activate this! :) She did a good job with the Ys IV Debug mode.

ParanoiaDragon

Sweet, nice find!  Oh, what wonders & secrets are still left to be found in PCE games, 20+ years later.
IMG

pixeljunkie

xcrement5x