The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/10/2011, 04:53 AM
Quote from: nat on 10/05/2011, 09:37 PMI'm appalled you didn't mention the SGX version of GnG.

You're probably going to say it's too obscure or something like that. :)
All I could do is mention it because I don't have the game and I don't have the SuperGrafx.  I don't want to mention a game I can't show.  You want to see SuperGrafx games?  Send me a SuperGrafx.  I know, I know, I should just buy one.  Once I find a way to hook it up to my TurboGrafx CD so I can get RGB and s-video out of the thing, I will (because my video mod is in the TG CD interface unit).  Someone make me an adapter cable!
You could probably hack up a RAU-30 to do the job. I know the RAU-30 won't fit into the TG-CD interface as-is, but I'm fairly certain you could modify/ruin that end of it and make it work.

Joe Redifer

I doubt I could.  Someone else, maybe.  But not me.

nat

I believe it's just a matter of cutting the plastic away enough on the RAU-30 to allow the plug to fit into the TG-CD interface socket. There shouldn't be any modification needed on the actual electronic components or port itself.

I no longer have a TG-CD interface to verify that, but I seem to remember that's the conclusion I came to.

Mathius

Quote from: nat on 10/12/2011, 01:25 AMI believe it's just a matter of cutting the plastic away enough on the RAU-30 to allow the plug to fit into the TG-CD interface socket. There shouldn't be any modification needed on the actual electronic components or port itself.

I no longer have a TG-CD interface to verify that, but I seem to remember that's the conclusion I came to.
That would be an interesting looking system!

Joe Redifer

nat

Good call on Mortal Kombat.

JoshTurboTrollX

As usual - good stuff Joe!  I actually halfway enjoyed the Original Bubsy on SNES.  I remember owning the Jaguar version of Bubsy 2, and couldn't believe how awful it was.....  And that was 64-bit!!!!  O_O
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

GohanX

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/17/2011, 08:19 AMI remember owning the Jaguar version of Bubsy 2, and couldn't believe how awful it was.....  And that was 64-bit!!!!  O_O
Now that's just silly. Of course the Jaguar version was awesome, it was 64 BIT! Do the math.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/17/2011, 08:19 AMAs usual - good stuff Joe!  I actually halfway enjoyed the Original Bubsy on SNES.  I remember owning the Jaguar version of Bubsy 2, and couldn't believe how awful it was.....  And that was 64-bit!!!!  O_O
That wasn't Bubsy 2, Bubsy 2 was a different game. The Jaguar one is Bubsy Fractured Furrytales.

Also, if you can't believe how bad that game was, try Bubsy 3D :-D
--DragonmasterDan

guyjin

Ah, Jeopardy! Awesome game show, awful video game.

You didn't mention how small the pool of questions is; I got repeat questions the first time I played. Blech.

Joe Redifer

The latest episode.  It's so scary that it's guaranteed to leave permanent stains in your underwear or you get a full refund!

Gaming on Halloween

Mathius

Demon's Crest!  :shock: I still need to get that game especially since I have been playing Gargoyle's Quest II on the NES for the past week.

...and yes you f'ed up because you didn't even hint at Mutant League Football on the Jag. Shame on you! :-$ :P

Still thanks for playing my favorite track from SOTN at the end of the show.  :)

Joe Redifer

Don't thank me, thank Mr. Bones for playing it.

guyjin

I've never heard of mr. bones, but it must be pretty awful if you single it out for criticism over Friday the 13th and Dr. Jekyll!

Joe Redifer

I didn't single it out.  The Nintendo guy did because it was a Sega game.  I think that goes over most people's heads.

Tatsujin

Hahaha @ the end. This is Awesome.

Btw. didn't I miss the part when Drac X showed up?

Btw. mkII. Mr. bones is that silly skelleton in the back ground when the awesome SotN BGM was played.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/24/2011, 10:53 AMHahaha @ the end. This is Awesome.

Btw. didn't I miss the part when Drac X showed up?

Btw. mkII. Mr. bones is that silly skelleton in the back ground when the awesome SotN BGM was played.
Haha yeah poor Joe and his uncanny ability to be horribly unlucky. As for Mr. Bones? Yes, I believe that was the timeframe.

JoshTurboTrollX

I'm finding it a bit redundant to sing the same praises to your vids her and on the youtube videos, so I'll just say the exact opposite of what I said on yt, to keep you honest-

Terrible episode, easily my least favorite thus far.  You two should quit life altogether.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mathius

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 10/24/2011, 12:23 PMI'm finding it a bit redundant to sing the same praises to your vids her and on the youtube videos, so I'll just say the exact opposite of what I said on yt, to keep you honest-

Terrible episode, easily my least favorite thus far.  You two should quit life altogether.
Yeah! That "Nintendo" guy has to go!

Tatsujin

lol, who is that profoundly unobeying nintendo guy anyway?
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

nat

I have to say, I actually really enjoy Game Sack. The episodes are generally all just the right length, the music selection is great, and the games covered are just the sorts of things I might pick.

A breath of fresh air compared to the dime-a-dozen guy-in-his-basement "This is, uh, Super Mario Bros... It's a pretty cool game I think..." reviews that seem to be all over YouTube.

Mathius

Quote from: nat on 10/24/2011, 09:21 PMI have to say, I actually really enjoy Game Sack. The episodes are generally all just the right length, the music selection is great, and the games covered are just the sorts of things I might pick.

A breath of fresh air compared to the dime-a-dozen guy-in-his-basement "This is, uh, Super Mario Bros... It's a pretty cool game I think..." reviews that seem to be all over YouTube.
Completely agree!

Honestly I really do like both you guys. You offset one another very well kinda like Abbott was the antithesis of Costello. ...only you're less black and white.

Joe Redifer

Tatsujin

Gamesack is ubergood. the most I like are the plain but fine mini jokes, which are scatterd all over the shows.

Joe Redifer

Mathius

Such a good episode! I has hopping up and down when the Thunder Force portion of the show was nearing. ...Love that series!

...the air conditioner joke was full of laughs too.

roflmao

Great episode.  Next time you guys do an episode on shmups (lol, I just got a little bit dumber) maybe you can do Gradius and Star Soldier?  Those are two great series.  Or maybe R-type... I never realized how many games were in that series.

nectarsis

I liked this one...some solid game choices.  I also agree a Gradius/Soldier episode would be very cool.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Joe Redifer

We definitely want to do R-Type.  In fact we were going to do it in this episode and had to pull out because of how many games there are.  We put Cotton in instead.  Gradius is another one we'd like to do and Star Soldier as well but acquiring them may be a bit difficult as I only have Super Star Soldier.  I don't think Dave has Final Soldier.

Mathius

How about a Compile episode?

SuperDeadite

Nice vid, but I recommend you spend a good chunk of time with Cotton 2.  It's the most complicated game in the series, and the gameplay footage shown of it totally failed to show what makes it so awesome (the capture-chaining system).
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Opethian

ah R-Type most ruthless check points ever!
IMG

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Opethian on 11/01/2011, 07:36 AMah R-Type most ruthless check points ever!
R-Type II you mean.  The other games really aren't that bad.  Besides the infamous Stage 7 Checkpoint, the rest of R-Type 1 is totally doable.  I never understood why R-Type gets all the "evil checkpoint" talk, Gradius games are far worse IMO. ;)

Opethian

I say both I and II because losing speedups late in the game is painful
IMG

Joe Redifer

Cotton 2 is only complex if you want it to be.  There is no need to use any kind of chaining system.  I've had it since it came out and this is the first I've ever heard of it.

DragonmasterDan

Just on a side note, your video inspirited me to order a copy of Lightening Force.
--DragonmasterDan

Joe Redifer

Good!  Just stick with it and don't let it frustrate you.

nat

May it LIGHTEN your day.

VestCunt

Great episode.  I appreciate how Game Sack keeps the focus on the games, without being dominated by overbearing personalities, terrible production, or excessive rants, attempts at humor, and needless special effects like so many other youtube reviews.  I also like the side-by-side comparisons and the moments you take to let the music be heard.
Topic Adjourned.

Joe Redifer

One of the things that bothers me about Youtube videos is that people never shut their yap so you can't hear how the game sounds.  I realized that we were kind of like this, too, so I made it a point to let the game play without the babble if I can.  As for special effects, I know what you mean (Irate Gamer and even AVGN).  We have used them before and probably will again if the situation calls for it, but really I want people talking about the games instead of our 1337 After Effects skillz.  :)

Joe Redifer

SuperDeadite

Its a shame there still are no good ports of Gain Ground :(

DragonmasterDan

Yay! for Road Avenger.
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

Compile made Ghostbusters?!?!? Really? When did that happen?

Joe Redifer

It happened in 1989.  It explains the good music.  :)

Gain Ground on the Genesis is more fun to play than the arcade and the PC Engine CD version is more fun to play that that, though you can't see everything at once.  The worst version is for the PS2.

SuperDeadite

Arcade Gain Ground runs in 24khz medium resolution.  No console can output in this.  MAME simulates it, but it's far from the real thing.  Also System 24 sound is still not perfectly emulated.  Arcade Gain Ground is much harder then the ports and requires some crazy strategies. 

I'd love a pcb, but System 24 is a pain in the ass as you need a compatible monitor, compatible floppy drive, and the damn thing has a suicide battery.  :(

Joe Redifer

That's all well and good, but the ports are still more fun to play.

Joe Redifer

Mathius

Oh man oh man thanks for the comparison shots of Raiden! I have the import of Raiden Project (donated to me by Opethian) on the PS1 but I don't have a way to play imports yet. :(

Well you covered M.U.S.H.A. and you are one step closer to a full on Compile episode. :wink:

Edited for gibberish

Joe Redifer

I think there might be too many Compile shooters for a single episode.  Plus there's no way I have them all.  And trust us, if we miss even the most obscure one, people let us know in force.  That's kind of demotivated us from covering entire series or genres.  Even this episode people are "What, no love for xxxx??" and the like.  They think we meant the ONLY notable vertical shooters or something.  It's not like we can't revisit the subject in the future with completely different games (which we likely will).