10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/09/2011, 02:42 AMI put "Matt Turner" on the "To" part of the address.  Are you saying that wasn't good enough?  More information is required?  I put "Game Sack" as the return address so it should come back and I can resend.
I was lucky to get Viewpoint back when the package was sent to "Mathius's NEO GEO" with a SEGA sticker in the "return address" area. [-(

Starfighter

We have never had a game store like that, I am made of jealous.

Joe Redifer

Mathius

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Opethian

nice vid
makes me want to compare my Mahou Daisakusen FMT vs PCB
IMG

Tatsujin

ok, watched now about every episode and there sure is some cool stuff to see. great work so far and highly entertaining :)

the turbografx16 episode has about 10x more watches than the average rest. sure we all know why that so is. and some uberpoor comments in there as well :(
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

Aren't Youtube comments supposed to be of low quality?  :)

Joe Redifer

Tatsujin

Fren :)

and I so loved the awaited mention of the FC Contra's chip implant, which made the game IMO a good bit better :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/25/2011, 05:31 AMThe newest episode:

Sidescrolling Run n Guns
That was great Joe!  I love the Nintendo/Sega arguments.  it's so true tho- My friends and I always go back n' forth on what is better: Contra III or Gunstar Heroes!  I usually chime in with "Screw both, I like Shockman better!"

:) can't wait till the next one!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mathius

Joe, what's the deal with games like Realm for the SNES? Did it have a US release?

I was really hoping you would do a Run 'n Gun episode! =D&gt;

Tatsujin

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/25/2011, 09:49 AMI like Shockman better!"
Yeah, I was hoping to see at least part 3 in that sack. but no :(

Joe Redifer

Yeah, not sure why they didn't release that here.  Also, sorry about showing the ROM hack for that game, it's all I could find and Dave's actual Japanese version hasn't arrived yet.

Joe Redifer

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/05/2011, 05:06 PMLatest episode:

Wonder Boy and Adventure Island
Just curious if either of you were familiar with the Famicom port of Wonder Boy in Monster Land. Saiyūki World it has even more extreme sprite changes and such than any of the Hudson ports, but it's a licensed version of the same game.
--DragonmasterDan

Tatsujin

I will so watch this when am homey :D

GohanX

I love the Wonderboy games so much, it's a shame I never played them when they were current.

Joe, I'm curious, ridiculous anal stretching price aside, do you like the Genesis Monster World or Dynastic Hero better? I haven't played either one for any significant amount of time.

Joe Redifer

That's really hard to say.  Both play identically so you really can't go wrong.  That said, I'm not very fond of the music replacements in Dynastic Hero.  Some of it is pretty good, but the majority of it just doesn't seem appropriate to a Monster World type of game.  But Dynastic Hero does have slightly better colors in a few spots, but lacks parallax scrolling.

Dan, no I haven't heard of it.  I was considering including some of the Tec Toy spite hacked Monica versions (or whatever they're called), but decided against it.

Tatsujin

As for me DH has one of the best Soundttrack on the System. Not so much surpricing anymore, after knowing who's responsible for it, which is no less a figure than Mr. Nick Wood himself (composer of famous gate of thunder BGMs).

This alone makes me to want to play this game over and over again, while I rarely touched the MD version in the past 15 years.

Mathius

Really really great vid joejoe! You-Tube finally has a great vid comparing the two series. Bravo! I wouldn't mind having the Master System port of Monster World but somehow his sword is even shorter than usual. Good luck hitting enemies in that one.

Monster World IV is a definite goal of mine. Seeing as I am equipped to play Mega Drive games now MWIV would make a great first import.

Joe Redifer

Quotewouldn't mind having the Master System port of Monster World but somehow his sword is even shorter than usual.
That's because the Master System isn't powerful enough to have a longer sword.  :)  But seriously, that is why I am crouching and stabbing most of the time during the video segments of the SMS version because that extends your range.

Tats, I'll give the music another listen on its own.

TR0N

Quote from: Mathius on 09/06/2011, 01:04 AMMonster World IV is a definite goal of mine. Seeing as I am equipped to play Mega Drive games now MWIV would make a great first import.
If you want to get MWIV there are repros of it with the fan translation on it.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?224401-High-quality-Genesis-reproductions-available
I been thinking about getting the game myself since i'm supose to be getting a,genesis again soon.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Mathius

Quote from: TR0N on 09/06/2011, 02:01 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 09/06/2011, 01:04 AMMonster World IV is a definite goal of mine. Seeing as I am equipped to play Mega Drive games now MWIV would make a great first import.
If you want to get MWIV there are repros of it with the fan translation on it.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?224401-High-quality-Genesis-reproductions-available
I been thinking about getting the game myself since i'm supose to be getting a,genesis again soon.
Wow! Thanks for the link! A lot of goodness there. :)

JoshTurboTrollX

very nice Joe!

GohanX

I have a MW4 repro, and as much as I love the other Wonderboy games, MW4 just shits all over them, it's THAT good.

Joe Redifer

Opethian

Sunsoft games had some legendary music!!
IMG

Mathius

I REMEMBER THAT BATMAN GAMEBOY GAME! I used to play it somewhere...it could have been at Walmart. Or, maybe it was the Nintendo World Championships that came to I Indy bitd. I can't remember.

Thanks for highlighting the music in the Genesis version. It truly is one of Sunsoft's crowning achievements.

nat

Sunsoft has a knack for great music regardless of platform.

Mathius

Quote from: nat on 09/13/2011, 11:02 PMSunsoft has a knack for great music regardless of platform.
They certainly did! :)

Joe Redifer

Well, until they let western developers start making their games.  Aero the Acrobat, Blaster Master 2, Revenge of the Joker etc etc all had crappy-ass music.

Another Sunsoft game that has fantastic music is Superman on the Genesis which most people overlook because it is a Superman game.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/14/2011, 12:39 AMWell, until they let western developers start making their games.  Aero the Acrobat, Blaster Master 2, Revenge of the Joker etc etc all had crappy-ass music.

Another Sunsoft game that has fantastic music is Superman on the Genesis which most people overlook because it is a Superman game.
Was Revenge of the Joker an NES game? If so it had an excellent ending theme that you must here!

Joe Redifer

You're right, it is.  And it's light years ahead of the Genesis version and even the unreleased SNES version.

JoshTurboTrollX

Return of the Joker was the NES title, which was developed by the same exact team that did the original NES Batman.

Never confuse that game with the shit-fest Revenge of the Joker that Sunsoft released for the genny.

GohanX

FUCK

I was at a local store that actually has NES stuff, picked up a NES and some cheapie games I didn't have. When the guy was pulling them out of the case I named the titles I wanted, but there was one that I had seen earlier that I couldn't remember. It was Batman!

Joe Redifer

Tatsujin

I so hope Rastan is in there.

SuperDeadite

For what it's worth, Rastan Saga III was quite good (though totally different type of game).
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

JoshTurboTrollX

those were really good selections Joe!  Good stuff!!  I can't wait for the next episode!!

Mathius

Love them comparison shots joejoe! The 32X version of Space Harrier was surprisingly accurate.

UglyJoe

Wow, good stuff.  Gonna have to work my way through the archives sometime.

The "Tetris 2" released outside of Japan is actually "Tetris Flash", more of a spinoff than an actual sequel.  The real sequel was "Tetris 2 + Bombliss", which is actually pretty awesome and a game I definitely consider a worthy sequel. 

The "Tetris 2" portion of the game is the same mechanics of Tetris, but with an extra mode.  The "Bombliss" portion is a spinoff where you have to make bombs and try to clear the entire board.  It was released by itself for the Gameboy outside of Japan as "Tetris Blast". 

It's got a battery backup so you don't lose your hi scores or your progress through the puzzle mode of Bombliss.  The music is also grade A stuff, composed by Koichi Sugiyama of Dragon Quest/Warrior fame.

Yeah, though, Tetris Flash sucks something awful.

Joe Redifer

guyjin

another awesome episode. Though now I wanna know your thoughts on Hang-On vs. Super Hang-on. Kids with plague be damned.

Mathius

Quote from: guyjin on 10/04/2011, 06:56 PManother awesome episode. Though now I wanna know your thoughts on Hang-On vs. Super Hang-on. Kids with plague be damned.
Lol I second that! :)

nat

I'm appalled you didn't mention the SGX version of GnG.

You're probably going to say it's too obscure or something like that. :)

Mathius

Quote from: nat on 10/05/2011, 09:37 PMI'm appalled you didn't mention the SGX version of GnG.

YEAH! :-$

SuperDeadite

Quote from: nat on 10/05/2011, 09:37 PMI'm appalled you didn't mention the SGX version of GnG.

I'm just happy there was no mention of the awful Super Slows 'n' Ghosts :)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

I like how all the sequels on the snes were called super, even in 99% of all cases the game was inferior to its prequel :lol:

Joe Redifer

All I could do is mention it because I don't have the game and I don't have the SuperGrafx.  I don't want to mention a game I can't show.  You want to see SuperGrafx games?  Send me a SuperGrafx.  I know, I know, I should just buy one.  Once I find a way to hook it up to my TurboGrafx CD so I can get RGB and s-video out of the thing, I will (because my video mod is in the TG CD interface unit).  Someone make me an adapter cable!

Latest episode:

Portable Videogame Systems