OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Patch Released!

Started by Burnt Lasagna, 09/24/2012, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigusSchmuck

Awesome, just found out about this. Just a thought, but it would be nice to see Guilliver Boy translated and dubbed just to show off the abilities of the Arcade Card but in English! Again, thank you guys for doing this!

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/03/2012, 09:25 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 10/03/2012, 05:21 PMCredits for DX should be next (I got a whole week off next week, maybe we can finish this up ;) ). Also, the credits in Ys IV didn't get translated. Any plans to fix this?
Heh, you're asking and yet you're one of the possible few with the knowledge/experience that could fix this ??? ;) The Credits roll is all graphics which are compressed... You need to find the block of graphics that corresponds to the credits, decompress it, figure out the format, change it, recompress and replace the original block... So... no, no plans to fix this, but you're welcome to volunteer yourself some time. ;) From what I recall in packaging Neill Corlett's decompression code together with David Shadoff's reversal of it into compression code, the latter was written to only handle the text mode. I think I saw in Neill's notes that a flag is set when the block is graphical data and what not, I'd have to check. It's been a long time... Anyway, this is hell that I am not willing to go through all to change some Japanese names in the Credits roll to English... I don't see the payoff here all that much given the expense in time and energy, plus the knowledge that I'd have to gain in order to accomplish it.

No answer to my previous post BTW ??

Quote from: Keranu on 10/02/2012, 02:15 PMA Xak III dub would be cool since you can work with Nightwolve again like Ys IV. A full Snatcher localization would be awesome, but definitely lower priority.
Honestly, I get surprised when I learn that somebody actually appreciated the Xak III project, in addition to about the dozen or so people that I've already counted and what not... ;) I dunno, the translation work has no heart to it and I'm not proud of that project but it was a path to Ys IV, so it was good for something! Somebody else needs to translate it, but I doubt there would ever be an interest to do it right. I did actually ask SamIAm if he'd be interested one day to retranslate Ys IV for me, so that we're not forever stuck with Shimarisu's more literal style (and hence extremely boring/dry) of translation. That would be worth doing.
I agree, Xak 3 would be an awesome dub to do as well. I remember when the translation was released there was a big buzz going on at one of the DC++ hubs I used to hang out at. Anyway, thank you again!

Drakon

To me the quality of the recording makes a huuuuge difference.

Quote from: guest on 10/04/2012, 03:11 PMQuality translations are a definite bonus, but I don't mind subpar work. It's not like CF2 or Dragon Slayer set the bar very high.
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Burnt Lasagna

Just curios, but has anyone here beaten the game on real hardware with v1.1? I just want to know if v1.1 is clean of all clipping on and off the real system.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

Joe Redifer

I have beaten it with 1.0 and I only heard clipping in those two places.  I can burn a 1.1 CD and try out those places where clipping previously occurred (I still have the save slots).  You'll have to give me a day or two, though.

TurboXray

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/03/2012, 09:25 PMNo answer to my previous post BTW ??
I can't say that'll completely fix the problem on the 5202 chip. I have source code for the old format encoder and decoder written in C. In both the decoder and the Dialogic PDF, it says the decoder adds 1/8 of the new delta on top of the to be added delta (that's why you have to flip back and fourth between 0x8 and 0x0 (a stream of 0x80 or 0x08 in byte format) else you build up a DC offset). I don't know if the MSM5202 does this or not; the datasheet doesn't say. It just says to keep the dynamic range to 80% when using an encoder. But I'm going to assume it does.

Joe Redifer

OK I tried patch 1.1 on real hardware and all sounds good!  I didn't hear any other bad parts in my original playthrough and I tried to listen to all of the possible combinations.  There seems to be some empty places during the goddess' speech where the mouths move for awhile and no voices come out but I imagine this is by design since it takes about a thousand fewer syllables to say the same thing in English.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/08/2012, 05:14 AMThere seems to be some empty places during the goddess' speech where the mouths move for awhile and no voices come out but I imagine this is by design since it takes about a thousand fewer syllables to say the same thing in English.
Yeah, that scene was the only scene that I had a horrible time trying to sync properly. Basically there wasn't enough English to fill the Japanese lip movement and the actress didn't attempt to add filler to her lines in order to catch up. Ordinarily I would of asked her to re-record it but she was difficult to get in contact with, even for her first recordings, so I had to bite the bullet and keep it horribly out of sync. Though luckly none of the other scenes had this bad a case of "de-sync", which honestly surprised me.

Good to know these scenes now work on real hardware! Thanks for clarifying it!

NightWolve

Thanks for the feedback, Joe! Unfortunately, I'm not gonna play the game until I first complete the component video mod for my Turbo Duo... Thing is, I wanna cut an informative video of the modding process too (not as easy to do as I thought like when I made one for my Turbo Express), so it's gonna be a while before I get to play the game myself, but when I do, it's gonna be WITH component cables hooked up to my old 32" CRT, retro style with a slightly modernized Turbo Duo!!! =)

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/08/2012, 10:08 PMso it's gonna be a while before I get to play the game myself, but when I do, it's gonna be WITH component cables hooked up to my old 32" CRT, retro style with a slightly modernized Turbo Duo!!! =)
I know this option usually makes a certain type of person throw up, but for running old 16-bit games through 240p component video, on an old CRT, I generally use my soft modded Wii. Emulating Ys IV on the Wii via wii-mednafen looks as sharp as a tack, it literally displays onto to the TV like the real deal, only better since it's component 240p. Also, since it's a port of mednafen it runs essentially perfect. It's almost like....

IMG

However, it is just that, not real butter. Which I guess might seem soulless to some people.

Joe Redifer

I played through Ys 4 entirely in component video myself.  I just tap the RGB on the expansion port pins and run it through a VERY basic amp (transistors only) and route it to a DIN from a TurboTap that resides in my Interface Unit.  That goes to a SCART RGB to YUV transcoder and life is good.  The cool thing about that is I can play it in s-video as well as I have a box that will convert the RGB to S-video (originally built for the AES).  I use that to record Turbo games for Game Sack with.

I'm gonna have to learn how to soft mod a Wii.  I forgot it can do 240p.  I just wish I could play with the original controllers.

M1Savage

Just wanted to say my thanks to everyone who had a role in finally getting this done. Starting a new play through today.

Chuplayer

Quote from: m1savage on 10/14/2012, 07:44 PMJust wanted to say my thanks to everyone who had a role in finally getting this done. Starting a new play through today.
My thoughts exactly. This is extraordinary work on an extraordinary game.

drunkninja

Been playing this game w/ the translation for the last few days.  Major kudos to the team, it's great to finally be able to play this great game! :o

MotherGunner

Would be awesome to get a pressed version.  I want to play this so bad but I refuse to put a CDR into my Duo.  I'm way too paranoid and keep reading about horror stories of bad lenses as a result, etc.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Keith Courage

Just use a CDR and stop worrying. If a lens ever goes bad a new one for these systems only runs about $25.00 and they are very easy to change.

MotherGunner

Link me to lenses for Duo-R?  I just may do that.
-MG

Keith Courage

NightWolve

As long as the CD-R brand works fine and when redbook audio music is playing in the background without skipping, there is no issue.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/19/2012, 02:38 PMI want to play this so bad but I refuse to put a CDR into my Duo.  I'm way too paranoid and keep reading about horror stories of bad lenses as a result, etc.
CD-R's aren't exactly the lens raping , console destroying lunatic that most people say they are. As long as your using high quality CD-R's and burning slow (preferably 1-4x, with 1x being optimal) then you should be fine.
It really isn't worth worrying about. If something does go wrong, then buying a replacement lens won't brake the bank, as Keith has stated.

MotherGunner

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 10/19/2012, 04:21 PM
Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/19/2012, 02:38 PMI want to play this so bad but I refuse to put a CDR into my Duo.  I'm way too paranoid and keep reading about horror stories of bad lenses as a result, etc.
CD-R's aren't exactly the lens raping , console destroying lunatic that most people say they are. As long as your using high quality CD-R's and burning slow (preferably 1-4x, with 1x being optimal) then you should be fine.
It really isn't worth worrying about. If something does go wrong, then buying a replacement lens won't brake the bank, as Keith has stated. 
Perfect, I hear there are two brands that people alwasy swear by (one japanese I can't remember the word, and one in English)
Which are they?

How about those PSX black-bottom CDR's?
-MG

Bernie

NO!!  Only use nice shiny silver bottoms, or those Gold Archive discs. 

http://www.gotmedia.com/shiny-silver-cd-r.html
http://www.gotmedia.com/gold-cd-r.html

I use the silvers, and have no issues on my Duo.

MotherGunner

Taiyo Yuden, that's the word.  Thanks Bernie!  (Btw I owe you a response, sorry man, will get to it soon).
-MG

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/19/2012, 04:43 PMPerfect, I hear there are two brands that people alwasy swear by (one japanese I can't remember the word, and one in English)
Which are they?
Yeah, Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. I usually use memorex, but the later two are better I hear.
Have fun!

Bernie

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/19/2012, 05:21 PMTaiyo Yuden, that's the word.  Thanks Bernie!  (Btw I owe you a response, sorry man, will get to it soon).
NP buddy.  :)

Duo_R

About 1/2 way through the game, wow amazing job to the actors and B.L., Nightwolf and others that helped. The voice of old man Jeff cracks me up. Almost an Adam Sandler performance.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

LentFilms

Quote from: Duo_R on 10/22/2012, 06:04 AMThe voice of old man Jeff cracks me up. Almost an Adam Sandler performance.
I also really loved the way Grandfather Jeff turned out. The actor that played Jeff as well as Eldeel was Michael Hillard who voiced all the scientists in the Half-Life fan remake, Black Mesa.

NightWolve

Just went through the server's webstats and I'm counting about 785+ downloads of the dub patch as of today - FYI.

Duo_R

Game truly rocks. How about we do Anearth Fantasy Stories next? I don't recall how much voice acting that game has but needs a translation for sure.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: NightWolve on 11/03/2012, 12:52 PMJust went through the server's webstats and I'm counting about 785+ downloads of the dub patch as of today - FYI.
That's good to hear! :D
I'm guessing you still haven't played the dub because of your component mod? I'll be interested to hear what you think of the patch once you've gotten the chance to really play it.

Cheers everyone, for the 785+ downloads!

IMG

tggodfrey

Got a chance to play this at Octurbofest and I must say you guys did a fantastic job.  Keep up the good work!
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

roflmao

Holy moly this is awesome!  Thank so much for everyone's efforts on this!

Trenton_net

Pardon the question if it's already been asked (I didn't read the whole thread), but is there a way to apply the patch under Linux? Otherwise I might have to ask someone for help in doing that. (^_^);

Burnt Lasagna

It's not covered in the thread, but there is a way.
The patch is in xdelta format. There is a version of Xdelta made in python for GNU/Linux here,
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xdelta3
Use this version of the patch doesn't need the ADPCM sectors NULLED out before patching.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47184537/YsIV/Ys%20IV%20English.zip

Then run this parameter with Xdelta on Track02,
-dfs [name of file to patch] [name of patch] [name of new patched file]That will patch track02. Then decompress the ape files with whatever Linux can use to achieve such a task. Then manually replace the Japanese Redbook with the newly decompress English ones.

Hope that helps!

Trenton_net

Intresting! How would I go about applying the English patch first? Does that come in the same patch format?

NightWolve

Eh look, you need access to a Windows machine, that's all there is to it, or perhaps a Windows emulator for Linux if one such exists (I believe it does for Apple)... There is no Linux version of the APE decompressor for the redbook audio files as far as I know, if there is, it's not available from the author's site. So, either get to a Windows machine or find out if there's some virtual PC emulator that'll let you run a Windows OS instance on your Linux OS...

Burnt Lasagna

Apparently Monkey Audio works in Wine,
http://audiodestrukt.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/using-monkeys-audio-on-linux/
that can be used to decompress the ape files. Though having access to a Windows machine is ideal.

Quote from: Trenton_net on 11/07/2012, 08:52 PMIntresting! How would I go about applying the English patch first? Does that come in the same patch format?
...That's kind of what I went over in my previous post. Apply the xdelta patch that I linked to in my previous post to Track02, then swop out the Redbook audio with the new decompressed audio. I know it's an elongated way to patch the game, but it's the road you have to take with an OS like Linux.

I would imagine your used to this sort of thing, since your your running a rather unwieldy OS?

Trenton_net

Ah well, I was hoping to avoid any kind of Virtualization solution. But worst case, I can always install Windows XP under VirtualBox.

Cornettheory

Quote from: LentFilms on 10/22/2012, 08:04 AM
Quote from: Duo_R on 10/22/2012, 06:04 AMThe voice of old man Jeff cracks me up. Almost an Adam Sandler performance.
I also really loved the way Grandfather Jeff turned out. The actor that played Jeff as well as Eldeel was Michael Hillard who voiced all the scientists in the Half-Life fan remake, Black Mesa.
Looks like I've been found out! thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

I want to play this on wii mednafan and I need to change my cue/iso/mp3 to a bin/cue what do I use to do this?
I can mount the image ok, I just need a program that makes bin/cue

Bernie

Quote from: Cornettheory on 11/10/2012, 08:20 PM
Quote from: LentFilms on 10/22/2012, 08:04 AM
Looks like I've been found out! thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

I want to play this on wii mednafan and I need to change my cue/iso/mp3 to a bin/cue what do I use to do this?
Mount the image in daemon tools and create an image with ImgBurn.  http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/  :)

NightWolve

Quote from: Trenton_net on 11/10/2012, 03:28 PMAh well, I was hoping to avoid any kind of Virtualization solution. But worst case, I can always install Windows XP under VirtualBox.
Yeah, there's just no way out of escaping the use of Windows... The other supporting tools I created like TurboRip and TocFixer are Windows-based and very tied down to the OS (no portability for speed and simplicity in development), but of the two, you really need TurboRip for a proper rip of the disc in the ISO/WAV/CUE image file format. I dunno if there's something on Linux that does that properly, but nothing ever did on Windows which is why I created it in the first place. Everything will properly rip a CD to the BIN/CUE format, but in terms of ripping on a track-by-track basis when you have a mixed mode CD (both data and audio tracks) and hence pregaps/postgaps, nothing ever did it properly; it'd either error out on the postgaps or blindly read in the pregap into the end of the previous audio track when encountering a transition from audio to data (e.g. the warning audio track 1 and then the game data on track 2 in the case of most NEC discs, etc.).

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Cornettheory on 11/10/2012, 08:20 PMLooks like I've been found out! thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Hey Mike! Glad to know your getting around to playing the finished dub.
As Bernie has stated, Imgburn is a perfect freeware solution to your problem. That's what I use to create BIN/CUE rips for Wii-Mednafen.
Hope that helps and thanks again for your contributions to this project :)

Duo_R

finished the game. I had no idea this game had such an awesome ending, and to see it translated and dubbed in English was incredible! Outstanding work everyone, and special thanks to Nightwolve and Burnt Lasagna for all your hard work. Such an incredible accomplishment!

I was also happy to find out that the developer room was translated, nice touch!

And for Joe, here is info on the baby, it was a scene in the Tree village I believe. At first I didn't recall it either, you never see the mom in a cut scene which is why it throws us off. The little baby's eyes glow and has a tripped out voice.

QuoteEnzo (Age Unknown 100+)

IMG

Like Ramess, Enzo the Sage has waited a long time to speak to Adol. Unfortunately it was a long time ago and Enzo lives on in spirit only. He uses the body of a new born baby to speak to Adol about the 2nd part of the Celceta History.

Burnt Lasagna

Hey, glad you liked it :)
and thank you for voicing Talim! That was the only character that I thought wasn't going to get a voice actor by the end of auditions, since next to no one was auditioning for him. Though sure enough you sent in yours literally minutes before auditions ended. Great job!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Duo_R on 11/12/2012, 10:46 PMAnd for Joe, here is info on the baby, it was a scene in the Tree village I believe. At first I didn't recall it either, you never see the mom in a cut scene which is why it throws us off. The little baby's eyes glow and has a tripped out voice.
Yeah, she's the mother of the Baby that Enzo uses to speak through and it happens in Venus village (you go to it after defeating the ice monster). She shows up at the ending just to show that Enzo the sage has left the baby and that he is now back to normal.

NightWolve

Ys IV dubbed, locked and loaded running on a Sony PSP!
Pretty cool! :)

dairugger

i played it completley on my pspgo, it was freakin sweet, well worth the wait!

NightWolve

dairugger

Hey Night! I hope the holidays treated you well.
I finally finished Ys IV about a week ago. I would play in spurts so that i could savor it. I still cant believe the work you and everybody put into it. its a better product than tti ever put out!

Keith Courage

I thought I'd post some info for people trying to burn this and thinking of using lightscribe in order to make a cool label. In my experience lightscribe discs are more difficult for pc engine based CD drives to read. I can get regular Sony CDRs to read on about 90% of all consoles I test. However, Lightscribe only works on about 50% of the systems I test and I have tested 3 different brands of lightscribe. So basically stay away from the lightscribe cause even if it works it may over work your CD lens.

I test all the systems I repair and sometimes sell this way. This is how I have been able to test so many DUOs and CD drives.

NightWolve

Hm, interesting. So, you get more skipping when it comes to Lightscribe discs (like when redbook background music is playing) or the game just doesn't get passed the boot/load screen ?